Why didn't Super follow the manga when it could?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

desu
Beyond Newbie

Why didn't Super follow the manga when it could?

Post by desu » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:05 pm

I mean before Super went ahead the manga. They didn't follow it at all, there were some similar scenes and battles, but most of it was different? Why was it? I wanted to see things like Goku's 50 mark in the exam or Goku and Vegeta training as SSJ Blue, or Blue's name change. They could have used the manga as the storyboard aswell for the fights, like Goku vs Botamo :/

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why didn't Super follow the manga when it could?

Post by Kanious » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:17 pm

the anime was always ahead, i think. Both the anime and the manga are adapted from the original Toriyama's script

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:09 pm

Because it couldn't

The anime team take 4-6 months to complete an episode from start to finish. There is no way known that Toyotaro's supplementary, promotional manga was going to be the basis for Super

Also, to clarify; Toriyama doesn't write a script

He provides both creative teams with the same bare-bones outline, and they adapt it from there.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:26 am

From my understanding, both sources are coming from Toriyamas ideas. The anime is one approach, the manga is more Toyotaros baby.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:52 pm

Kanious wrote:the anime was always ahead, i think. Both the anime and the manga are adapted from the original Toriyama's script
The anime wasn’t always ahead.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Meshack wrote:
Kanious wrote:the anime was always ahead, i think. Both the anime and the manga are adapted from the original Toriyama's script
Not in terms of actual release schedule.

But the PRODUCTION schedule, that's why the anime was, is, and always will be ahead of the manga. Episodes need to be planned several weeks in advance in order to keep up with a weekly release schedule.

Toyotaro was less limited due to his monthly manga chapter release schedule at first, but it was only a matter of time until the production schedule for the anime caught up and surpassed the manga thanks to its planned-in-advance serialization.

desu
Beyond Newbie

Post by desu » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:22 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
Meshack wrote:

But the PRODUCTION schedule, that's why the anime was, is, and always will be ahead of the manga. Episodes need to be planned several weeks in advance in order to keep up with a weekly release schedule.

Toyotaro was less limited due to his monthly manga chapter release schedule at first, but it was only a matter of time until the production schedule for the anime caught up and surpassed the manga thanks to its planned-in-advance serialization.
I wonder why scenes like Goku and Vegeta talking about why they like agressive woman and Piccolo reacting to it are the same or why in that throwback to Goku and Vegeta's first fight when they were training in the RoSaT there were these boxing gloves they had used early on in the anime to train...
Plus Toyotaro said time ago he wanted to surpass the anime again (something he won't do by now :/)

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Meshack wrote:

Kanious was obviously not talking about production schedule.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:52 pm

desu wrote:
Meshack wrote: The anime wasn’t always ahead.

I wonder why scenes like Goku and Vegeta talking about why they like agressive woman and Piccolo reacting to it are the same or why in that throwback to Goku and Vegeta's first fight when they were training in the RoSaT there were these boxing gloves they had used early on in the anime to train...
Plus Toyotaro said time ago he wanted to surpass the anime again (something he won't do by now :/)
Maybe Toriyama supervised those scenes by adding them into the script he made for them. Just maybe.