How would u change the TOP and why?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegokun

How would u change the TOP and why?

Post by Vegokun » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:29 am

By that I mean, questions like are you happy with it being a battle royal instead of a typical tournament (like the yuyuhakushow format) or if it took too long recruiting etc.

I've loved the arc so far, and esp after like midway through the 100s, it's been amazing. I'm a mix between the dark tournament style vs the battle royal style, onenwould allow all U7 characters a chance to shine, while the other would allow more types of unique situations if that makes sense

It basically started from 83-117 so far (I'm not counting the recruitment arcs)

It has to fit within the time fram

How I would have structured it personally

The recruitment arc would be shorter, with only like certain key parts being played and others being automatic

There would be dark tournament prelim matches first too

83 = recruiting 17 (1 episode)
84 = Gohan and piccolo training episode (with the krillin 100x solar flare to show he was training or something)
85 = goku and gohan training episodes
86-89 = frieza recruiting

Little tidbits in between so it shows something like "oh roshis been training" or random crap like that. Not that little but you know what I mean, something scattered in between I guess. For the most parts the episodes remain the same, except a bit more crammed for some (like in 83 17 says yes for his family instead of all that poaching stuff, tests his strength and then there's some character interaction at the end. 84 has both that and he krillin stuff)

90-95 = universe arcs

Episodes 90-95 would focus on Building a backstory for universe 6 and 11.

91-92 would be a story to the pride troopers doing a mission. Each character gets a biiit more fleshed out and has an appearence and role to play, but then they face this horrible foe in 91, toppo for some reason is unable to fight, and then a black screen cuts out from to zipping past A galaxy in an instant and one shorting the guy. Then they all get informed about the TOP. Also he has his manga personality. When they ask why he is late he says something like "____ hired someone to attack me, he was pretty strong so fending him off without killing him was a pain"

93-95 is focused on universe 6, and making the cast build a connection to them. My reasoning, is that in that last scene of the latest episode, you could see there is definately potential for the characters to be likeable. Caulifla had a funny interaction with the nameks

93 has cabba recruiting caulifla and kale. The super saiyan thing happens, and caulifla forces cabba to fight or something. Cabba more experienced with the transformation is winning at first but then caulifla gets pissed and powers up to ss2, stuff happens and kale gets mad like before, kale doesent go legendary, she is powering up but then vados comes to pick them up. They are joined by the nameks, magetta, frost, docter rota and botamo. Hit is working so he is going to be late. (Alternatively, they get recruited during a saiyan mission or something)

94-95 training shenanigans and interactions. The nameks and the 2 saiyans are fleshed out, they have to go through some sort of trial Vados sent them, idk something to make them seem important or something. Some characters histories are fleshed out as well, Nameks have some sort of recruiting flashback. During the second half of 95, hit appears bloodied bruised and exhausted. They ask what happened and he says something that implies he failed his job, but he'll be ready next time. While recovering he had the idea of testing how much the training has done. They all attack him at the same time (dr rota gets foddreized with the special attack crap too) and in the end they do decently well but hit clearly has the edge (he is also recovering so not at full strength). Then, kale (who has been unable to become a super saiyan) sees caulifla getting owned (some crap about Mada-mada and getting pummeled by hit) and powers up to legendary. She and hit stare each other down and Vados calls off the fight saying theyll destroy the planet powering up or something.

96-106 would be the preliminary stages. It's basically the same as the dark tournament except it's 10 fighters. The top 4 universes that advance move on to the real fighting stage. Universe 7 is matched up against universe 10. It goes all the way to 10 matches, vegeta, goku, gohan, frieza, and 17 winning their matches (since they need to be protected) roshi and piccolo drawing, and krillin, tien, and 18 losing.

Each fight takes an episode, except goku, vegeta, and frieza which take place in the 5th. There is a 10 count to ring out to win

The first two fights are the draws, following by a win by 17, 2 losses. Each of these fights take an episode. Vegeta goku and frieza absolutely manhandle the next three fights, with someone mentioning something about them not able to compete with these godlike powers. Most of that episode is highlighted by frieza torturing his enemy for like 10 minutes in a cruel way or something (giving hope that he got too cocky and lost and ringed out and is like just kidding)

The last fight is the same as in the anime, gohan bs the guy with the family part playing a much bigger role. Simultaneously, the universe 4 match was decided off screen, with the other matches are still going

That's 8 episodes.

Episode 9 is the pride troopers vs universe 10. Something happens so the trio de dangers all attack jiren at once and Zeno is like cool I'll allow it after he asks or something idk. They get absolutely bodied and try to do their trio formation crap and still get absolutely bodied. Then they get erased

The second half shows universe 6 vs universe 2. It shows caulifla winning her match, and the next episode is kale vs ribrianne , kale at first is getting destroyed. Then she gets regular ssj form (she never mastered either form) and begins to win. Then ribrianne gets wings and fights back, and then there's a huge love speech and she transforms into her giant form after tying kale up (after reverting to her regular form) and basically kale trasnfos to lssj after Califla gives a good speech, then then kale savagely destroys her for a good few minutes and the stage breaks as she screams (basically screw ribrianne just imagine her getting pummeled in her fat form)

The next fight has the guy taking ribriannes form like in the anime vs hit, with him surpassing her strength It's really quick and it has some sort of thing like Vados saying "even with our new monster" and then it shows a time skip happening "our trump card is still hit" as he one shots her. He then stares at jiren, who stares at goku, who smirks or something, and the grand priest says the prelims are over

So then the tournament of power proceeds from episode 107-117, with 4 universes

My logic for this? My summaries for the episodes r pretty trash but it's just like the overall idea of it I mean. Most of the recruiting was uneccessary imo. Aside from universe 2 which everyone hates, most of the important episodes have involved universe 4,6,7, and 11.

Universe 2 have been a waste of time for most
Universe 3 are a question mark but I doubt they will do anything
Universe 9 got foderized in 1 episode
Universe 10 the only thing of interest was gohan vs their final guy, which still happens

Instead of these universes, and a bunch of survival arcs

- each character gets a chance to shine in the tournament for universe 7, even if they lose. (It's a whole episode dedicated to a fight which always ends up good) and we get to see frieza troll for a whole half episode.

- the audience gets more connected to universe 6 and 11 (2-3 episode sagas dedicated to each). Makes their erasure more meaningful

- characters from those 2 universes get more fleshed out, like the nameks or even the pride troopers (no longer fodderless trash lmao)

- jiren gets a personality. Small rivalry with hit.

- there is some sort of explanation for kale and caulifla being able to battle goku (not really but a bit of one. It's a dumb one but not completely out of the blue.Vados should mention they are prodigious but that it took 6 months of training for vegeta to unlock it so they'll obv need more time)

The act battle royal can proceed as normal. Most would agree the episodes since 104 have been a step up

All of these episodes are still possible with these 4 universes aside from the sniper episode which people didn't really seem to care for. Also each universe can have more meaningful fighters and it's no longer univer 7 taking out literally 50+ members (which they will at this rate)

Fighters are preoccupied with u4 and u11 fighters when it shows them battling random fodder. U7 becomes noticeably less dominant because of the lack of fodder

During the act tournament of power, have hit fight Jiren first, have him not do the time paralysis thing and it's going like the anime where he is getting destroyed but not as much as a fodder would. Goku steps in, saves hit and attacks jiren right of the bat as super saiyan blue, which is how the special starts. After ultra instinct fades away he is about to get ringed out since Jiren isn't doing the "u aren't worth the time to ring out" and he act goes for it, It shows Hit smirking and he sneak attacks Jiren with the paralysis thing. He holds him there for awhile which is why Jiren stays out of action for awhile. a few episodes later, near the end (u6 is down to kale caulifla and hit, everyone else was ringed out, u11 has Dypso, bubble shield girl, kahserhal,2-3 more and obv hitand u4 idk either has vanished if the rest end up being unimportant or have very few left as well, so it's very near its end) toppo and dypso Astart focusing on freeing jiren as they were preoccupied with their fights before. As no one wants him to reappear u7 and u6 team up to stop them. They all try to break him free and 2-3 elimantions from u11 result from that. Eventually jiren starts screaming and walks towards hit struggling, hit does his final attack like in the anime by instead of Jiren no selling it, dypso somehow gets in front of jiren with the help of kahserhal and the bubble shield lady and 2 more members that propelled hem there at the expense of themselves (they get ringed out) and they all take the hit, with an energy shield and bubble shield trying to stop it and dypso just there in front of jiren. They all get super duper blown back and get ringed out and jiren, angry as hell cuz his teammates were knocked back (he has personality now) says "I was careless" and then powers up to like ridiculous levels and proceeds to utterly wreck hit who put all his ki into that last attack. This begins the climax of the TOP

By this time, U4 is eliminated, and he only fighters in the ring are Toppo, Kefla, Jiren, and a few important U7 members.

Also, how much do u guys wanna bet that U4 wins with the 2 bugs hiding out till the very end

Also, how would you rate each episode so far?

puar
Beyond Newbie

Re: How would u change the TOP and why?

Post by puar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:09 am

I would actually make other universes fight each other instead of all being fodder trash for u7

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:27 am

Normally I stay away from threads like these, because they have a tendency to treat Dragon Ball as something better off overwritten or over-intellectualized rather than flying by the seat of its pants as it does, but in this case:

1) Just, broadly, the characters need to be written as if something is at stake. We've had only occasional references from the characters to the fact that loss means universal erasure, and while each one is appreciated, they stand at odds to the over all upbeat tone. It's ... bizarre. It needn't be all doom and gloom—this is still a weekly show that needs to hold onto younger viewers—but acknowledging the stakes, having them play into mixed feelings and momentary alliances, etc., wouldn't have to override all the surface-level absurdity. The Boo arc managed to have both Gotenks as a centerpiece character and Piccolo grimly suggesting Boo spend his time killing the remaining humans. Mixing the dire and the ridiculous is Dragon Ball's fucking forte. This is the one series that should be able to make those switches with the greatest finesse. It would, I suspect, as a Toriyama script from start to finish.

At the very least, show us the gods are worried, while their participants, martial artists to the core, get caught up in the competition of it all. Or maybe some do, while others are more mission-minded. There's no reason there can't be both.

2) It's absurd that other universes don't seem to give thought to how they'll deal with Jiren now that he's been unveiled, continuing to go after each other or characters like Goku, who are maybe their only hope of sneaking in a win. This is ... really distracting. Like, it's impossible to not think about every time some new universe has made a move on Goku and co. following the Jiren fight. Either give us some insight as to why they're prioritizing the fights they do, or substantially rework this second half so that at least some universes are focusing their attention elsewhere. Wouldn't some be doing as Freeza's doing, too, opportunistically aiding Goku or whoever else could possibly help bring in a double-KO? Wouldn't this be a great source of character-based conflict?

3) What the fuck is Jiren doing? Why is he so confident that Toppo and Dyspo can handle the remaining fighters, when we as the audience know for a fact they have two, if not more, able rivals left on the field (Freeza and Vegeta at the least)? Jiren's "activation" was legitimately thrilling, and I was excited to see how his taking control of the field would see responses from the other teams. As in, I thought we would see some responses, instead of just putting him away for no justifiable character reason—supposed pragmatism that can't at all read pragmatically—and then ... not.

It's managed to be fun in certain moments, despite these issues, but in general good god damn. The action at its best has been stellar, but it's hard to think of another story line under the Dragon Ball banner that manages to take a concept with this much potential and then largely implode around it.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:50 am

I think that - for this arc - Jiren and UI Goku was a mistake.

They immediately make you realize that all other fighters are completely inconsequential and all ring-outs and energy conservations are immaterial, since Jiren could just beat everyone without batting an eye (literally). So what's the fucking point? We KNOW it's going to come down to UI Goku vs Jiren, we KNOW all the 'saves' by other characters are unimportant and make sacrifices useless when you start thinking about it.

For example, Kamesenin gives us awesome moments, but in the end, he does what he does to beat characters that Goku could beat in half a second. So it's effectively pointless, and doesn't really matter.

I think, the battle royale was a mistake. Instead, it should work like an expanded system of the U9 vs U7 try-outs. Each universe fighter (or a tag-team of fighters to encourage teamwork) has to fight another universe's fighter(s) and score a point after each victory. This would make every match crucial since Goku would be unable to get all the points and U7 would have to rely on all the fighters for points - each victory would matter and wouldn't be shallow by the fact that Goku could beat all these guys anyway - as it was in the U7-U9 tryouts.

That would prevent Goku from dominating every episode, would make Roshi's or Krillin's or anyone else's victories TRULLY important.

As for the fact that U7 dominates in the episodes ... I kinda get it. The writers don't trust us to stay interested if the episodes show characters other than U7. But in the end, that's the show's own fault for not really fleshing out said characters and making them relevant.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:46 pm

I'd change the format. Instead of an 80-man free-for-all, it'd be the twin universes teaming up to create four 20-man teams in a standard elimination bracket. U7/U6, 3/10, 11/2 and 4/9. 7 and 11 would start on opposite sides of the bracket so they could meet in the finals. That way you can still have big spectacular battles without it being U7 vs The Multiverse, other people could get eliminations, and there would be a greater push for teamwork since the Universes would be pairing off.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:52 pm

For the first part of the tournament, I'd probably solely focus on the other characters and not have Goku jump into the story till he fights Jiren. I mean, yeah we'll see Goku fighting from time to time, but it seems a lot of the focus of his story is started from the Jiren fight and onward. I'd also go for more bizarre team ups, too. The only time I'd have him around is with the Universe 6 Saiyans and the Hit team up against the Pride Troopers and of course Muten Roshi. Otherwise he'd mostly be in the background. I'd probably have Gohan and Piccolo separated and work with someone they haven't before.

Also, yeah, I'd probably make everyone take the whole universe destruction deal a bit more seriously.