Rate DB Super to 2017 anime

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Rate DB Super to 2017 anime

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:29 pm

In the same fashion as Faisal Shourov's last year thread, rate the animes released in 2017 (2016 shows that manage to still run during 2017 can count, movies from 2016 that got DVD/BD releases this year can count) in a out of 10 scale (or any other scoring scale you like) and also SUPER for comparison. Genre doesn't matter, it's about how much you enjoyed them.
Last edited by Neo-Makaiōshin on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Rate DB Super to 2017 anime

Post by sintzu » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Last year I gave it a 5 up till the copy arc but had this topic come up after Trunks' arc I would've given it a 6 but the current arc has undone what good it did and then some so it's currently a 4/10 for me.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Shingeki no Kyojin and Hero Academia were probably the best animes of 2017.

Goku vs Jiren is a Top 3 fight but not Number 1, that goes to Todoroki vs Deku, because it had great animation, great storytelling, great directing, great voice acting, great OST and a fantastic ending with Nakamura key animation(better than what Shida and Takakashi have done this year). One of the best fights I've ever witnessed in this decade.

Top 10 fights of 2017 for me.

Todoroki vs Deku
Eren vs Reiner
Goku vs Jiren
Stain vs Deku, Todoroki and Iida
Goku vs Saiyan Girls
Shin vs Sakura
Roshi and Vegeta vs Frost and Magetta
Ash vs Misty
Yorozuya vs Kamui
Sumire vs Boruto and Mitsuki
Last edited by perucho1990 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Honestly most of the anime I like no longer run. So if I were to compare to other anime it would be much higher...probably a 7 or 8 due to my mentioned bias as an overall package.

However individual ratings like writing would be lower. The fact that it's Dragon Ball skews my score.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:41 pm

2017 is not an outstanding year for anime, but there were/are some good stuff as always. Dividing it by seasons.

Winter(2016-17)

KonoSuba S2 : A slight step up over its first season. More fun animation and direction and the cast simply being one of the best in recent times. Good shit. <3 Megumin, Aqua and Darkness. Score: 8/10

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon : AOTS. KyoAni can simply do no wrong. Takemoto is a godly director and while I was worried it might not be his kind of stuff, but he and his team killed it again. The finale was a highlight. Takemoto's storyboarding is out of this world. Kanna is precious. Score : 9/10

Youjo Senki : Fine overall. Tachikawa popped up at the end with his trusted pal Kurita and a few other good animators to deliver some good action and I was sold on the characters by the end, but it could have been better. Score : 7/10

Little Witch Academia : My expectations were sky high given it was a Yoshinari show, but it kind of didn't live up to it. The first half is really strong with highlights like Masayuki's ep #3 and Imaishi's ep #8, but the second half isn't nearly as engaging. Akko is adorable all the way through tho. Score : 7/10

ACCA : Poor. The material wasn't really Natsume's thing and it was executed somewhat sub parly. Hatta's episodes were good and made me interested in what was going on for a little bit, but the awful colors and the outsourced episodes being kind of shoddy turned me off. The story itself wasn't my thing. Score : 5/10

Ai-Mai-Mii : Surgical Friends : Third season and I'm still having a blast with this short and fun series. The funny tonal shifts are still amazing and Mii might be one of my favorite Maaya performances. Score : 7/10

Naruto Shippuuden : Wrapped up decently. Good Naruhina moments and a decent Sasuke novel adaptation with an awful Shikamaru novel adaptation. Solo Murata episode being the highlight. Score : 6/10 Overall score of the series : 8/10

Kirakira Precure : A better show compared to last year's. Kaizawa understands this series very well and the animation while not that good compared to some of the better entries in the franchise, it is still decent overall. Ino Marie designs are very fun. Also, Ichika and Aoi are pretty fun characters. Hayashi's score is surprisingly very forgettable though. Score : 7/10. It could change.

Spring

Shingeki S2 : Not a big fan. Imai's bits were amazing like in S1 and it wasn't nearly a production disaster like S1, so props for that. The characters still don't grab me, but I wasn't paying much attention to it, so maybe I should rewatch it. Score : 6/10

Hero Academia S2 : A huge step up from S1. Better material, better production and Nakamura Yutaka. The Sports Festival is outstanding with no flaws at all as far as I'm concerned. While the second half is a decline in terms of polish it is a nitpick. I hate the respectful 1:1 treatment to the manga the staff does though. Let the storyboard artists have some fun dammit. That is my only complaint. Todoroki and Deku's fight is godly and I can't say anything more than that. Umakoshi is simply the best character designer. Score : 8/10

Eromanga Sensei : The source material is trash and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. But, the voice work and character animation is simply amazing. I value animation a lot so I cannot overlook it despite shitty material. Score : 7/10

Kado : CG Toei anime with some mix of 2D. Chimo eps were alright, but other than that it was kind of meh. Score : 5/10

Uchouten Kazouku S2 : A step down from S1, but still a very fun family friendly series. The characters are amazing as ever and Yoshihara's direction is still strong imo. Score : 7/10

Boruto : Ongoing. A new cast and Yamashita's attempts to establish them is commendable. Sarada is already a favorite of mine and I can't wait to see what direction they go with her. The production is not good, in-house episodes aside which is worrying, but I trust Yamashita and his execution so hopefully it improves as it progresses. Fujisawa's ep #23 is spectacular. Score : Too early, but good.

Summer

Made in Abyss: AOTS and probably will be AOTY. Questionable source material, so again wouldn't recommend it. But, this show owns so hard. It is worth watching for the fascinating world it is set in alone. It evokes so many emotions. The production is also fantastic. I don't know how to describe it. Score: 9/10

New Game!! : Good stuff. The character interactions are the highlights. Some very effective character animation to make it memorable. Yeah, it is good stuff. Score : 8/10

Princess Principal : Very inconsistent, but still very entertaining. It kicks ass in some of its action setpieces and the OP is awesome. Score : 7/10

Centaur no Nayami : Regret watching the show. It is just awful. Poorly directed throughout and just unbearable most of the time. Score : 1/10

18if : Inconsistent and overall kind of bad. Morimoto and Fujii's episodes are worth watching, but the story is not at all engaging. Score : 5/10

The Reflection : Umakoshi's weakest work. Nagahama's too. Not good as a production and awful Stan Lee superheroes was never a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Score : 1/10

Fall

Houseki no Kouni : Ongoing. Most likely and surprisingly will be my AOTS unless something goes really bad for the last three remaining episodes. Mostly CG, but well done. A rarity in anime. Studio Orange just knocked it out of the park with the action setpieces and the direction and backgrounds are stellar. The characters are phenomenal and so is the mysterious world. The concept is unique and the seiyuus especially Kurosawa Tomoyo is brilliant. The OST is godly. No complaints. Score : 9/10

Kekkai Sensen S2 : Ongoing. Matsumoto Rie and some of the other key staff leaving hurt the show without question, but the current staff is still putting up a fight. Episodic show with focus on different characters is fun and the production is solid for the most part. Yeah, I'm liking although not as much as S1. Score : 7/10

Juuni Taisen : Ongoing. Dumb, but somewhat fun. The production is not all that good and the concept and characters are somtimes too dumb for my tastes. Score : 5/10

Konoha Kitan : Ongoing. Characters and their interactions drive the show. It is endearing and I'm having a good time. Waiting to see how it ends. Score : 7/10

Garo: Vanishing Line : Ongoing. Park is an amazing director and the action of the show and the animators he has managed to assemble is incredible at times, but I'm not digging it. I don't know how to put it, but it is just doesn't leave an impact. Score : 6/10

Osomatsu san S2 : Ongoing. I'm a little behind on this show, but from what I saw it is doing hella good. Production wise and entertainment wise. Score : 7/10

Inuyashiki : Awful. Tachikawa OP aside. Score : 2/10

Black Clover : Bad. But, it has shown some slight improvements. I believe in Yoshihara and if the production gets better and hopefully the source material it can become good. Kawakami Yusuke is a great action animator and his contributions are good though. Asta is trash and the biggest problem. Score : 4/10

Sun and Moon : Still kicking ass. Kasumi and Takeshi return episodes were brilliant and Iwane continues to reach new heights as the Pokegod. Ohashi is also delivering pure greatness. Satoshi continues to emote and not be a bland protag and all the girls but especially Lillie are fucking the best thing ever to grace the franchise. Score : 8/10

As for DBS, it has improved production wise. But, the arc is boring as hell and I'm not all that invested in it. Hopefully, next year will be better although I don't have much faith. Score : 5/10.

It will be too long of a post if I mention some of the backlog stuff and the movies I watched, so I'm avoiding them. The upcoming winter season looks to be a promising season. Pretty excited.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:37 pm

Shingeki no Kyojin (Season 2): 9/10
- Phenomenal animation and a fantastic soundtrack, but limiting the show to just 12 episodes was not the wisest decision ast it hurt the pace of narrative a bit.

Boku No Hero Academia (Season 2): 10/10
- I didn't think they could outdo last season, but holy shit, this anime just kicks so much ass in every department.

Dragon Ball Super: 8/10
- Massive improvement in quality over the last year and a bit. Still has quite a few rough patches, but it's far more consistent in quality.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:58 pm

Dynamic Chord > Super > everything else.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:23 am

It's much more accurate and fair to compare Super to the original manga/ other anime from the 80's and 90's. In that regard Super is about on equal terms with the last couple of arcs in the original manga's run. Complexity was never Dragon Ball's style, In many ways Super is continued with the mindset that Toriyama is still continuing his manga. Fans sometimes unfairly expect a series made mainly to appeal to children to "grow up" with them, where at best it's for all ages.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:30 pm

Shingeki no Kyoujin (season 2) - 9/10
Roller cooster of excitment and hype, biggest pro being having a more focused narrative, unfortunately I stil don't heavily care about the characters.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generation - 8/10
Pretty good sequel to Naruto, colorful aesthetics and character design makes for an enjoyable watching experience, most of show right now has been building of a (strong) foundation for I hope would great pay offs, at times the narrative can meander a bit but the (mostly) strong characters can carry the show.

Naruto Shippuden - 9/10
The last 20 episodes had pleasing visuals and a higher average of good animation than the show normally had before, the last arc makes for a sweet conclusion and send off for the story, definetely cried when the last episode was over.

Boku no Hero Academia (season 2) - 7/10
Some fastastic bits of animation during the more action heavy or hectic episodes, an entertaining tournament arc, everything after was OK, at first the show was exciting but the latter episodes don't click a lot for me.

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko - 10/10
Cute girls doing cute things in a post apocalyptic world, the show is pretty light heart slice of life with surprisingly amount of substance behind, each episode dealing with some philosophical idea around the girls, their situation and the meaning behind certain world pre-conceptions. Definetely the biggest surprise of this year along with another one...

Houseki no Kuni - 9/10
Singlehandly the pretties CGI anime I've ever seeing, it's just plain gorgeous, that alone is enough to give an 8/10 but with the presence of some quirky characters its enough to up it an extra point.

Little Witch Academia (TV) - 10/10
The animation may not be on the same level as its predecesor OVAs, that said there are some highlights in each episode, but it makes up for that by having just A LOT OF CHARM & HEART where it counts, and also making me smille in each episode (even the one I didn't particulary like) and feel a lot of emotions when an episode is over.

Kemono Friends - 8/10
Plain and silly childish charm, that's all I need to say.

Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen - 7/10
An enjoyable sequel

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon - 9/10
A charming slice of life featuring a dragon maid with a charming story about what's a family on top of having cute girls, fun comedy and pleasing & colorful aesthetic.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul - 7/10
Strong first half dragged down by a weak second half but a bunch of endearing characters manages to carry (most of the time) the show at its weakest.

Fate Aprocrypha - 5/10
Trainwreck of mess with ugly character designs, backgournd design and overall aesthetic, only reason I still care is to see each Servant/Master will be taken down + Jeanne is best girl of the show.

Made in Abyss - 9/10
Fantastic adventure fantasy with some gorgeous Ghibli like backgrounds, charming character designs with a strong narrative about the seeking of knowledge.

Dragon Ball Super - 8/10
Ever since the Future Trunks Arc has been surprising me with how fun and memorable the show can be, what I've liking the most over the past 50 or so episodes have been the gags (most of them either spot on or laughtably ridiculous) and secondary characters getting development in the episodes they are heavily featured.
Overall animation and aesthetic has also improved but I can't comment further than, mainly because I am not an animation expert, but at the very least it has been enjoyable.

I watched more but for me these were the standouts.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:35 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Naruto Shippuden - 9/10
I can't help but judge you harshly my man, this is just.. no..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:36 pm

sintzu wrote:Last year I gave it a 5 up till the copy arc but had this topic come up after Trunks' arc I would've given it a 6 but the current arc has undone what good it did and then some so it's currently a 4/10 for me.
So this arc is somehow worst than all that stuff that came before Future Trunks? I think that's a bit hyperbolic.
Especially after all the things this arc has done, and how many characters it has made moments for.
:clap:

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:55 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Why? I never said BNHA season 2 was bad, I said it was good and gave an score that reflected that.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:03 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
Why? I never said BNHA season 2 was bad, I said it was good and gave an score that reflected that.
7/10 for BNHA while Naruto Shippuden at a 9/10 doesn't exactly establish it's quality as something good..
It's like saying you are pretty good to an artist and then going ahead and giving a modern art a higher score than his work..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:21 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:7/10 for BNHA while Naruto Shippuden at a 9/10 doesn't exactly establish it's quality as something good..
It's like saying you are pretty good to an artist and then going ahead and giving a modern art a higher score than his work..
If the modern art has a higher quality than the work of the artist I compliment then of course I would give the former a better score.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:37 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:7/10 for BNHA while Naruto Shippuden at a 9/10 doesn't exactly establish it's quality as something good..
If the modern art has a higher quality than the work of the artist I compliment then of course I would give the former a better score.
That's why the judgment is happening mate, the quality detection here is busted bad..
I suppose it's possible to chalk it up to it being a thing of emotional value here, but that's definitely not how I would see them being rated individually as shows from an non biased point of view..

Don't get me wrong, I ain't here to shit on your like or dislikes, I simply find it very bizzare for the ratings to be such..

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:42 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:That's why the judgment is happening mate, the quality detection here is busted bad..
I suppose it's possible to chalk it up to it being a thing of emotional value here, but that's definitely not how I would see them being rated individually as shows from an non biased point of view..

Don't get me wrong, I ain't here to shit on your like or dislikes, I simply find it very bizzare for the ratings to be such..
If one of the two works can emotionally resonate with me is because objectively one of them is doing something right or better than the other, and that's where I will the conversation.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:11 pm

It's kind of unfair to compare Super to other anime that have healthier schedules than it ever gotten. But, while I do think this tournament is going on for a bit too long, Super has been consistently entertaining me all year and even surprising me.
8/10

Otherwise I'm still catching up to new anime this year lol

I only saw a bit of Boku no Hero Academia S2 and it's good. Too soon for me to rate.

Made in Abyss is phenomenal with it gorgeous backgrounds and strong narrative. 9/10

Heaven's Feel Movie 1 surprised me with its direction. It was done like a horror movie and the animation gets incredible. But, leaving out some context, can't really make me rate it any further than I did and I recommend watching Unlimited Blade Works first. 8/10

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 pm

MR.Mark wrote:It's much more accurate and fair to compare Super to the original manga/ other anime from the 80's and 90's.
Why exactly?
ConfusedPhantom wrote:It's kind of unfair to compare Super to other anime that have healthier schedules than it ever gotten.
That still is not an excuse to not point out strenghts and flaws in the show and how it holds up againts the competion of this year.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:07 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:It's much more accurate and fair to compare Super to the original manga/ other anime from the 80's and 90's.
Why exactly?

Because the series still feels more or less like the product it was in the 90's. Some franchises mature/evolve as they get older, DB hasin't really.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:08 am

MR.Mark wrote:Because the series still feels more or less like the product it was in the 90's. Some franchises mature/evolve as they get older, DB hasin't really.
That still doesn't make it inmune to comparisons between other shows.