What would you rate DBS out of 10?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What would you rate DBS out of 10?

Post by Kanassa » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:42 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Yeah, I always thought of Z as a rather mediocre part of Dragon Ball, with the Saiyan and Majin Buu Saga being the good parts of it. If I hadn't learned about the original Dragon Ball later I would have never been a fan of Dragon Ball.
Huh, I would've thought you'd like the Freeza arc as well since Freeza is, like, your favorite character!
Where did you get that idea? Until ROF, I thought Frieza was a shit villlain, he;s only in my good graces now because Super made him more interesting.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:46 pm

Battle of Gods Arc: 3/10
Resurrection 'F' Arc: 1.5/10
Tournament of Destroyers Arc: 4/10
Potaufeu arc: 4/10
Future Trunks arc: 9.5/10
9 weeks of peace arc: 7.5/10
Universal Survival arc: 8/10

Overall a 5.4/10, If I replace the first two arcs with their movie counterparts(which is how I would re-watch the series anyway)...

Battle of Gods movie: 6.5/10
Resurrection 'F' movie: 7/10

Overall a solid 6.6/10.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:15 am

We've come so far. When Super first began, this show was easily a 2/10, an absolute blight and disgrace on the franchise. GT was loads better. By the U6 arc I would have rated this show a 5/10. The new content was passable, but it was still quite a weak start for the first "new" arc following the horrific movie tellings. It's honestly a miracle Super even survived past the U6 arc. It probably wouldn't have survived if the Future Trunks arc never happened, which completely turned Super on its head from a happy go lucky little tikes show to full on grimdark holy shit everyone is dying. Hearing that Future Trunks was returning actually piqued my interest in Super, as I didn't even bother watching the entirety of the movie retellings or the U6 arc before the FT arc, which was my first arc. Immediately I was interested, and so damn excited to see Vegetto again and oh shit even though it's all fanservice it's hype as hell! And then 67 happened, and I completely lost interest in Super until I heard about the new arc which sounded really interesting.

While watching the FT arc, I would have rated Super an 8.5/10. After watching the FT arc, it definitely brought Super to around a 6/10 for me. The new arc started and I was immediately disappointed in what I thought was a shitty start after the first two episodes (which looked amazing at the time compared to everything that came before it) but once the actually tournament came around to starting, I was really excited to tune in every week, and still am.

If DBZ is a 10/10 for me, I would currently rate DBS as a 7/10. The ToP arc has been the best thing to happen to Super IMO, which definitely is reflected in my score. For the enjoyment factor, this is a pretty good show and that's really where my score comes from. It's fun to tune every week and speculate as a fan, and it has revived Dragon Ball. As a successor to DBZ it's just an OK show, I think GT did a number of things better, but this did a number of things better than GT too. They're both just OK, although I'd say I enjoy watching Super more.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:01 am

Using the show's current average standards. Not taking into account that it's a weekly shonen, as well:

Art: 8/10
Modeling: 6/10
Animation: 9/10

Narrative: 6/10
Plot: 9/10
Characters: 8/10

Tension: 8/10
Action: 8.5/0
Scaling: 6.5/10

Art: The art is quite strong currently, but I find it still distractingly inconsistent. I can't deduct too many points for that, though, since each of its iterations is generally pretty. I would say it's a bit childish and not visceral enough, also.

Modeling: One of the worst things about the show for me currently. Even within episode halves, characters seem to be drawn to several different similar but noticeably distinct models.

Animation: Very smooth. 10/10 if there was more of it! (less static imagery)

Narrative: My own interpretation of the narrative is almost completely (but not quite) cohesive, but I've had to do far too much pondering, bending, and stretching to get it all to work. While the main points of the narrative are strong, the message is unclear, and the narrative itself seems to both shift far too often and portray contradictory viewpoints, particularly to the average (younger) viewer, I imagine.

Plot: I have almost no complaints about the current plot, other than the fact the several isolated occurrences within it don't make much pragmatic sense, or, at the very least, aren't explained sensibly, if at all.

Characters: I like most of the new designs in both appearance and behavior, even the fodder. I love Jiren, Hit, Whis, Beerus, GP, Zeno, and all the U7 fighters except Yamcha, Krillin, and Tien (who I love to hate, and have ALWAYS loved to hate). There is not enough back story on most of the new characters by a long shot, but my instinct still only told me to deduct a small amount for that, which is extremely generous. Where other's don't seem to notice, I have observed what I consider a fair amount of development in the show, as well.

Tension: I'm feeling the tension big time this arc. The problem is that the narrative is seemingly shoving an inevitable conclusion down my throat. Should that conclusion turn out to be false, this could easily turn into a 9/10. Z had better tension, though, because the situations seemed both more dire and more insurmountable. Why? Almost entirely due to the Faulconer score, the "I'm too strong for you to even see, hit, or damage' moments, and far less broadcasting of the plot. I think the gore really helped as well.

Action: Strong. Better than Z for me on average. Just not enough choreography, by a long shot. Z suffered majorly from this as well, but this is 2017.

Scaling: This is another area where I have almost completely solved the show in my own headcanon, but I had to think and stretch far too much to do so. Whether or not it's cohesive objectively, scaling in Super is incredibly unclear and unexplained, and comes off as incredibly inconsistent and contradictory (though I believe it actually isn't. and never was). I also think certain characters are far too powerful, or got far too powerful far too quickly. One thing I do NOT mind is that the majority of the ToP fighters are fodder. Go U7! Makes perfect sense, albeit it had the tendency to make some things boring early on.

The fact that we know the ending of Z (to our knowledge) is one of the worst things about the show for me, currently. Need some blood, some more particle effects (getting MUCH better, though), better impact sounds for blows, more 'alpha' ownage during fights (when one fighter is superior to the other), slightly thicker musculature on the Saiyans, less plot broadcasting, a clearer narrative, and some ACTUAL CONSEQUENCES FOR PEOPLES' ACTIONS (looking at you too, Z).

Compared to Z, Super has, IMO:

Better animation, roughly equal art, worse modeling, better plot, worse narrative, worse tension, worse character grounding and development, better actual characters, better action, worse action effects, worse fighting style (despite the action being better overall, yes), more grandiose but somehow less meaningful stakes.

I am extremely happy with the show, and like it to the point where I begin itching for it sometime on Thursday every week. If Z is a 10/10 (which it absolutely isn't), then Super would be an 8.5-10, depending on my mood that day. The shows are often incomparable, so this is tough.

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Post by keyz05 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:39 am

I give it a 5.0/10.

The show was okay, but it wasn't at my desired level that I had with Z. Nuff said.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:51 am

Design/quality animation = 4/10
OST = 8/10
Story (Universe 6 saga, Future Trunks saga and Universe Survival saga) = 4.5/10
Characters = 2/10

I don't really mind animation, but if I have to give it a grade, then I'll compare it based on what I saw in the previous series; Dragon Ball Super's animation is really worse.

Some soundtracks are amazing, too bad the series doesn't have more amazing soundtracks like Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. But the ones I liked are really fun.

Story is "meh". Two unnecessary tournaments and one proper saga but with its ending being so terrible, disgusting and bizarre that I can't even think about it without wanting to throw up. Dragon Ball Super's story could be a lot better, even if they didn't have original ideas, they could still use Dragon Ball Online as a reference and to expand upon.

Some characters are too demeaned and others are boring/annoying as hell. I could never imagine that one day I would be pissed off by the Pilaf gang, but Dragon Ball Super managed to do that. Beerus getting himself involved too much in the time travel business also got under my skin.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:57 am

The last ep of the Trunks arc is one of the best eps they've ever done.

IntoTheFire
Beyond Newbie

Post by IntoTheFire » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:45 am

I would say overall a solid 7.5
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:47 am

Four, to represent my extremely mixed feelings that tip slightly toward overall frustration/disssatisfaction.

The last episode of the Trunks arc is too good for the show it's in.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:50 am

The last episode itself was okay, mostly because of the farewell scene, but Trunks going to live with himself? No. That's not "too good" at all.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:47 pm

IntoTheFire wrote:I would say overall a solid 7.5
I agree with that opinion.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:18 pm

Designs: 6/10
I hated the earlier designs we had for Goku and Vegeta in particular, who are the characters with most screentime, but as for the others Yamamuro has done a decent job adapating Toriyama's new design, and in some cases he did a very good job such as with Goku Black. Now that Goku and Vegeta have gotten updated designs, they look definitely better but I still have many issues with the shading, the highlights, the way muscles are drawn and the colouring.

Art: 7/10
After a very rough start, the art has definitely picked up especially ever since episode 79 in particular. The current arc is a 9/10 in terms of art, as it has looked mostly good and consistent so far, thanks to new and better supervisors, better scheduling and most importantly: no Kitano. The same dude behind the worst looking episodes of Super.

Animation: 9/10
While art has always been a problem, the animation has always been fine apart from a few instances such as episode 24 and 33. The fighting choreography is good, and we have gotten some outstanding pieces of animation.

Soundtrack: 9/10
The first few arcs didn't have memorable pieces of music, but ever since episode 47 we've got some amazing soundtracks. I couldn't ask for a better soundtrack right now.

Story: 9/10

The show is a solid 8, and I can easily see it become a 9/10 with future arcs now that the production is in a good state!
For Super to be a 10/10, in my opinion it would need to do the following:
- Update the designs, removing the highlights and fixing the noses. It would be even better if someone else handled the designs.
- Use 2008's special colours, which were faithful to the manga
- Add more blood (RoF levels would be fine)
- Keep Tournament of Power levels in terms of consistency of art and animation
- Go beyond EoZ
- Keep providing good stories
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Super is currently setting at a 6/10 on my MAL page which isn't bad at all, It has a lot of things I like(Zamasu+Black,Ultra Instinct) and a lot of things I don't like(ROF, character models).

Overall Rating: 6/10
BOG: 5/10
ROF: 2/10
Champa: 6/10
Future Trunks: 9/10
TOP: 8/10

For reference I'd give Z a 7/10 and DB a 8/10.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:03 pm

8/10

I don't know, I just really like it, more than Z and GT but not DB.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Story 2/10
Fights 3/10
Music, art and animation I don't really take any notice about so I won't rate them
New characters 6/10
Use of characters 2/10

Overall 3/10

The new characters are the only acceptable thing this series has provided. The characters I like are Whis, Vados, Beerus, Champa, Hit, Saonel, Pirina, Magetta, Botamo, Trio de Dangers, Toppo, Jiren.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:57 pm

My opinion is rising, but its tough for the overall score of the show when you consider how poorly it started. For the first 3 arcs the slice of life filler was easily the high point. It missed great opportunities to delve deeper into those first two movies especially RoF by instead padding them out unnecessarily. The first new content we got was a tensionless tournament that lacked charm or anything memorable aside from SSBKKx10.

Future Trunks was the first plot based high point of the show but they dragged that down with odd decisions like making Trunks' hair blue with no real explanation, but overall that arc was satisfying aside from the blatant and outright dumb Trunks wank and horrible ending. That arc alone rose the show up to a 5 or 6 for me just because the tension returned and some other hero than Goku and Vegeta were doing something. Plus Zamasu and his various forms and aliases were just so damn good. Goku Black's performance alone could raise the score of any arc.

As far as the tournament goes, overall I'd say it's just more wasted potential, but I do appreciate the effort they are putting into it.

So I'd give Super an Akira Toriyama needs a good writer to help him craft his story out of 10. AT has some interesting ideas, but he doesn't necessarily have the writing abilities to pull them off very effectively. Toei and Toyotaro have been doing their best, but the big guy needs someone at the top to help him out, to reign all this in and create a compelling continuity.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:08 pm

4.5/10

Current Arc has gone way too long and I'm ready for the climax now. FT Trunks arc's ending with mystical power ups and such an openended ending left a lot to be desired, the Champa arc turned out to be the Goku & Vegeta show with Piccolo forfeiting and Buu falling asleep, and the first two arcs were retelling arcs that were a bore to get through because you already know what's going to happen. Don't get me started on that Copy Vegeta Crap.

Super is a disappointment. With my explanation 4.5/10 is a bargain. The FT Arc was pretty good though. I loved Zamasu's development.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:56 pm

BWri wrote:but they dragged that down with odd decisions like making Trunks' hair blue with no real explanation
Of all the things to complain about for the Zamasu arc, Trunks having blue hair should be the last thing on anyones list.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:27 pm

precita wrote:
BWri wrote:but they dragged that down with odd decisions like making Trunks' hair blue with no real explanation
Of all the things to complain about for the Zamasu arc, Trunks having blue hair should be the last thing on anyones list.
hehehehehe, yes, I just mentioned it because it symbolizes many of the senseless things that this arc has done. It pisses me off because its so dumb.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:55 am

Kanassa wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
Kanassa wrote:7/10 overall
For context:
DB: 8/10
DBZ: 5/10
DBGT: 3/10
oh wow really? I give 9 to Z lol
Yeah, I always thought of Z as a rather mediocre part of Dragon Ball, with the Saiyan and Majin Buu Saga being the good parts of it. If I hadn't learned about the original Dragon Ball later I would have never been a fan of Dragon Ball.
For me, the Freeza and Buu Saga were the best story arcs of Z. I think the Saiyans Saga was okay and the Cell Saga is the worst story arc in Dragon Ball outside of GT. I do agree overall the original Dragon Ball was the best part of the series.

Super is weird to me since there are a lot of parts I loved far more than Z, but it doesn't have an epic arc like the Namek/Freeza Saga, which is my favorite story arc in the franchise, with the King Piccolo Saga being a closed second.

So if I was forced it rate at this point:

Dragon Ball: 9/10
Dragon Ball Z: 7.5-8/10
Dragon Ball Super: 7-8/10
Dragon Ball GT: 4-5/10

I liked the Battle of Gods Saga and think it's better than the movie in many respects, especially the Super Saiyan God Goku vs. Beerus. The biggest problem is that it dragged and could have been two or three episodes shorter. So for this arc - 7/10 (point off for it being a retelling)

I also liked Resurrection 'F' and think it told a far better story than the movie. Gohan getting tortured for slacking off was what he needed to get his butt into gear along with Piccolo dying. I also like that Freeza had more interaction with the cast compared to the movie like getting his men on Krillin to cause Goku more pain, how he reacted to Gohan, and him seeing Gotenks, Goten, and Trunks. Krillin having PTSD about Freeza killing him was a nice touch and Freeza being more nuts than his movie counterpart was a welcome changed. The conclusion was also miles ahead of the movie. The problem, the arc was too short and the Z-Fighters battle with the Freeza soldiers should have been longer. The fights themselves were extremely subpar with Goku vs. Freeza being among the worst. There is, of course, the elephant in the room of the animation tanking during the Goku vs. Freeza fight. So - 6/10 (point off for being a retelling)

Champa Saga, I liked, but it's the weakest tournament arc in the franchise outside the of the Fortunate Teller Baba stuff. Not to say it isn't fun to watch since it does bring the fun I loved from Dragon Ball and Vegeta is part of the hijinks. Frost being evil and plays good was a nice twist, I liked Cabba for showing more of Vegeta's development, and Hit was great with both Vegeta and Goku. The fights were also good for being more than rapid flying fists that dominated Z with Piccolo vs. Frost, Vegeta vs. Megetta, and Goku vs. Hit being my personal highlights. It was sorta of a soft start for the 'real' Super, but a nice one none the less. So - 6.5-7/10

Future Trunks Saga. What can I say. This is by far one of the my favorite sagas in all of Dragon Ball. Namek/Freeza is my number one, King Piccolo is my number two, this saga is my number three. Black and Zamasu are among my favorite villains, second only to Freeza. Future Trunks I liked far more than in the Android/Cell Saga since he's finally over his daddy issues that severely hurt the character in my eyes. The story had mystery, depth, character development, and twists that I want in modern Dragon Ball. It also had the best usage of the cast in a long time. The cast was small, but everyone had a role, even non-fighters like Future Mai and Bulma. And while some hate it, I adore the ending for it subverting the 'death has no consequences in Dragon Ball'. People died, people got erased, and they weren't brought back and it was a situation that the heroes couldn't fixed on their own. The problems with this arc, Spirit Sword, major asspull. Toei could have done something to explain where it came from and how Trunks formed it, but they seemed to went with Zen'o's, 'it's cool, so it's safe'. I also wished the fight with Vegetto Blue was longer, just so we would of had more time to explained where the Spirit Bomb came from. That and we had two fusion characters who were about evenly matched fighting. That deserves some more scene time. Still an awesome moment, but weighted down by it being an asspull. The character not taking more time to reflect on what happened. Other than Future Trunks and Mai, everyone was okay with Trunks' timeline disappearing and that bothered me. I would have liked an episode or something of reflection before going into light-hearted breather episodes. So for me - 8.5-9/10

This current saga, I will not rate until it's over. But as it stand, I liked this arc and it's easily one of the best arcs in Super. Although, I personally don't liked it as much the Future Trunks Saga. The cast is really bloated, which means characters get left behind like Buu, Tien, and characters from other universes. However, the characters that do get scene time are used extremely well and have some of the best moments in the franchise like Roshi and even Piccolo to an extent. The pacing is okay, but dragged for the recruitment stuff and some episodes in the tournament could have been trimmed. With that said, this tournament has some of the best fights in the series with Hit vs Dypso, Roshi vs U4, UI Goku vs. Jiren, Hit vs. Jiren, Goku vs. Cali, Goku vs. Cali and Kale, and Goku vs. Kefla being some of the standout fights. This arc also makes the erasing of universes feel real with me getting emotional when U2 and U6 bit it. Even if they come back by the end of the arc, I don't think these scene will be any less heartbreaking. Overall if this arc keeps up it's current quality it will be above many arcs in Dragon Ball for me, but not one of my personal favorites. I can't even really compare it to other tournament arcs in this series since it's so different, in a good way since we don't have the standard one-on-one fights, but team battles and tag teams.

Super will easily surpassed Z for me if they have an epic adventure arc similar to Namek/Freeza Saga.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.