Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

Re: New movie announced for December 2018!

Post by IndieBooToo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:50 am

Bullza wrote:Even the Bio-Broly movie back in the day took a noticeable hit at the Box Office.

Lord Slug - ¥2.05 billion ($14.9 million)
Cooler's Revenge - ¥2.2 billion ($16.2 million)
The Return of Cooler - ¥2.48 billion ($19.2 million)
Super Android 13 - ¥2.35 billion ($18.9 million)
The Legendary Super Saiyan - ¥2.12 billion ($20.4 million)
Bojack Unbound - ¥2.05 billion ($18.7 million)
Broly Second Coming - ¥2.24 billion ($22.2 million)
Bio Broly - ¥1.75 billion ($18.0 million)
Fusion Reborn - ¥1.98 billion ($22.7 million)

That's what happens when Goku, Vegeta or Gohan aren't in your movie and that at least still had some of the other major characters in it. Resurrection F saw a big uptick at the box office, possibly largely in part in bringing back another major character.

So what do you think would happen if they made a movie with none of the major characters? It'd take a severe hit. I can't seem them doing it nor should they.
Well seeing as they're doing it you're just gonna have to live with it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:55 am

I see no indication that Gokuu and company are not the main characters of this movie.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

Post by IndieBooToo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:58 am

JulieYBM wrote:I see no indication that Gokuu and company are not the main characters of this movie.
Unless you're blind.
Last edited by IndieBooToo on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:00 am

MR.Mark wrote:A movie where at least a good chunk doesn't revolve around Goku and co? HELL YEAH!! This sounds cool!

I think this is how they should do films at least while Super is around. The films can be lore building side stories while the anime is the main story.

Jaco movie also please.
Wouldn't get ahead of ourselves just yet, the movie may very well still feature Goku and make him even more important (with some asspull prohpecy revealed at the end or whatever) even if he doesn't have much screentime. In fact, it's quite likely, all things considered. Neither Toei nor Toriyama seem to have much different ideas than "make everything avout Goku one way or another" these days.

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

Post by IndieBooToo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:03 am

Basaku wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:A movie where at least a good chunk doesn't revolve around Goku and co? HELL YEAH!! This sounds cool!

I think this is how they should do films at least while Super is around. The films can be lore building side stories while the anime is the main story.

Jaco movie also please.
Wouldn't get ahead of ourselves just yet, the movie may very well still feature Goku and make him even more important (with some asspull prohpecy revealed at the end or whatever) even if he doesn't have much screentime. In fact, it's quite likely, all things considered. Neither Toei nor Toriyama seem to have much different ideas than "make everything avout Goku one way or another" these days.
Yeah while Yamoshi will be the main character it's going to relate to Goku in the end. That much is obvious.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:03 am

"As befits the 20th entry in a movie series that has continued to pursue even stronger characters and even more entertaining stories, this film is being diligently produced with the goal of having the greatest scale and quality of the series to date!"

You can't have stronger characters than Black and Jerin if this was set in the past. I highly doubt those saiyans had the likes of Blue and UI or the training Goku's gotten over the years.
IndieBooToo wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I see no indication that Gokuu and company are not the main characters of this movie.
Unless you're blind.
You're acting like this big know it all so can you tell us where you got these facts ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:08 am

IndieBooToo wrote:Well seeing as they're doing it you're just gonna have to live with it.
We don't know that at all. They said it would be an "origin of the Saiyans’ strength and what it means to be Saiyan" not that it would be an origin movie and a prequel with an all new cast.

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

Post by IndieBooToo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:10 am

Bullza wrote:
IndieBooToo wrote:Well seeing as they're doing it you're just gonna have to live with it.
We don't know that at all. They said it would be an "origin of the Saiyans’ strength and what it means to be Saiyan" not that it would be an origin movie and a prequel with an all new cast.
Imagine being in this much denial...

Wilderness
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wilderness » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:10 am

sintzu wrote:
IndieBooToo wrote:
Unless you're blind.
You're acting like this big know it all so can you tell us where you got these facts ?
The brand recognition simply transcends from the brand name, and often logo.

Do you think new Pokémon games don't sell because they don't have Ash & Pikachu on the box art? Or when brands have rebooted, for example Final Fantasy more or less every game that isn't a sequel, will not do well because it's not a previous main character? I'm sorry, but your theory on business practices with franchise and brand recognition is flawed, and incorrect.
"I'm not a bad guy, I am a good guy, who just... hits women with his car."

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 am

Grimlock wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:Why? it still follows Toriyama's outline, as will this film.
Because Toei's retellings don't follow Toriyama's outline, they were based directly on the movies, and we don't have any information that Toriyama was involved with the retellings. That makes the movies "more canonical" than the other continuities.
We know that Toriyama approves Toyataro's retelling of BoG which is quite similar Toei's. We also know that in the USArc anime, it flashbacks to a scene in RoF Arc that didn't happen in the movie.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:14 am

IndieBooToo wrote:
Unless you're blind.
They can easily be the focus of major action set pieces while not being the main drive of this story.

It's all speculation at this point anyway.
Helios518 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:Why? it still follows Toriyama's outline, as will this film.
Because Toei's retellings don't follow Toriyama's outline, they were based directly on the movies, and we don't have any information that Toriyama was involved with the retellings. That makes the movies "more canonical" than the other continuities.
We know that Toriyama approves Toyataro's retelling of BoG which is quite similar Toei's. We also know that in the USArc anime, it flashbacks to a scene in RoF Arc that didn't happen in the movie.
Last I checked the retellings were Toriyama's idea because of how important Beerus ans Whis were. Moreover, the retellings play out the basic story the same way anyhow. The manga differs aswell so I guess it's up to you to pick and choose what you like.
Last edited by MR.Mark on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:15 am

IndieBooToo wrote:Unless you're blind.
IndieBooToo wrote:Imagine being in this much denial...
You appear to be relatively new here. Please review the community guidelines, which you agreed to (twice) prior to registration.

This is a free warning. Further warnings will result in strikes being issued against your account. These add up to temporary/permanent bans, which revoke access to the entirety of the Kanzenshuu website.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:18 am

Bullza wrote:Even the Bio-Broly movie back in the day took a noticeable hit at the Box Office.

[spoiler]Lord Slug - ¥2.05 billion ($14.9 million)
Fusion Reborn - ¥1.98 billion ($22.7 million)[/spoiler]

That's what happens when Goku, Vegeta or Gohan aren't in your movie and that at least still had some of the other major characters in it. Resurrection F saw a big uptick at the box office, possibly largely in part in bringing back another major character.
How about providing us your source?
Wilderness wrote:Do you think new Pokémon games don't sell because they don't have Ash & Pikachu on the box art?
This comparison doesn't make any sense, since Pokémon games came before the anime, so nobody really cares about playing as Ash or not.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Wilderness
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wilderness » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:20 am

Noah wrote:

[spoiler]Lord Slug - ¥2.05 billion ($14.9 million)
Fusion Reborn - ¥1.98 billion ($22.7 million)[/spoiler]

How about providing us your source?
Wilderness wrote:Do you think new Pokémon games don't sell because they don't have Ash & Pikachu on the box art?
This comparison doesn't make any sense, since Pokémon games came before the anime, so nobody really cares about playing as Ash or not.
Fine, forget Ash then. The statement still stands when you've (nit)picked Ash out of it
"I'm not a bad guy, I am a good guy, who just... hits women with his car."

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:21 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Can wait for Toriyama to retcon expectations built over the last 30 years. :roll:
Can you blame him for not knowing about fan theories that swim around western internet sites?

whether I like Toriyamas explanations on certain thing or not, I absolutely LOVE that he tends to surprise us LITERALLY every time. :lol:
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:23 am

Either way when all we got to go on is the main plot is the origins of the Saiyans, it's kinda hard to not picture Goku and the others at the very least having a reduced role.

Unless Toriyama comes up with some really magical plot device, it's just common sense.
Last edited by MR.Mark on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:24 am

Basaku wrote:

Jaco movie also please.
Uh when did it ever not revolve around Goku?

The saiyan saga happened because Raditz came for his brother, Goku.
The Freeza saga happened because Vegeta came to Earth after getting information from Raditz, who came for Goku.
The android saga happened because Gero wanted to kill Goku
The buu saga happened because of Vegeta's grudge against Goku.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:28 am

Also if people want to use the marketing excuse,this is about Saiyans you know? Last I checked they were pretty popular.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:35 am

Jesus. This threads already this bad and we're a year out? Eurgh I really don't wanna start avoiding this thread like I am DBS one.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:41 am

Helios518 wrote:We know that Toriyama approves Toyataro's retelling of BoG which is quite similar Toei's. We also know that in the USArc anime, it flashbacks to a scene in RoF Arc that didn't happen in the movie.
Toriyama approves anything if they feel Dragon Ball. As for the flashbacks, it is obvious. The anime version will show scenes from his continuity, not from another one. It's the same in Future Trunks saga, Toei showed us the first time Trunks transformed into Super Saiyan, that doesn't mean Trunks transforming upon seeing Gohan dead is canonical, it just means Toei is following their own continuity, because the manga tells us something different.
MR.Mark wrote:Last I checked the retellings were Toriyama's idea because of how important Beerus ans Whis were. Moreover, the retellings play out the basic story the same way anyhow. The manga differs aswell so I guess it's up to you to pick and choose what you like.
Being Toriyama's idea doesn't necessarily mean he prefers or sees that way. This is like saying everything he did for the anime staff are canonical, suggestions doesn't mean something is canonical.

Yes, it's all up to the person to choose which continuity they want to follow.
Last edited by Grimlock on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~