Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
ZeroNeonix
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 780
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:02 pm

majinwarman wrote:But, they do want to make sure their viewers see what the movie showed because not everyone watches movies. Those people would be confused if they reference the movie at all.
Both the movie and the anime made references to other works not in the Dragon Ball anime. They didn't seem too concerned about confusing people when they referenced Tarble and had Jaco the Galactic Patrolman show up like we were supposed to know who he was.

User avatar
Mister_Popo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:19 pm

I don't mind the movie. I think it's a great way to enjoy Dragon Ball in a different way than the series or manga. It's also a manner to introduce family or friends to it, who maybe aren't prone to see 300 episodes, but are willing to give a 2 hour movie a chance "to see where all this hype is about". I hope the movie is somehow retold in the continuity of the series, but that isn't the big issue. I just hope Super as a series returns after that. Because i do love the Dragon Ball-series with all my heart. And i like the speculations, on this board for instance, week in, week out, about how the story will continue. There is no way a once-in-a-year-movie-formula without series could ever replace that feeling.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Draconic
I Live Here
Posts: 2019
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:44 pm
Location: Romania

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Draconic » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:30 pm

Seeing as the movie is labled as a DB Super movie and the manga might adapt it as is, I don't think if the series comes back they'll retell it. Maybe if an entire new show comes back, they'll do it, but since they're continuing with this brand for both the movie and the manga, it's more likely that an eventual return of DB on TV will also be called Super and therefore there would be no reason for a retelling.

The reasons why they probably did the retellings in the first place are probably numerous, but between the fact Toriyama wanted some changes done to better fit his later stories, the fact they needed some more production time given the pace the series was greenlit at and the fact that the movies are Z branded, when the actual Z series ends at a later point than even the ulterior stories under Super (which could cause some confusion for new viewers), none of those really apply at this point, at least from what we know and what we can suppose so far.
English is not my first language !

My breakdown of the new and old transformations. Hope to update it soon with many others!

User avatar
Mister_Popo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Draconic wrote:Seeing as the movie is labled as a DB Super movie and the manga might adapt it as is, I don't think if the series comes back they'll retell it. Maybe if an entire new show comes back, they'll do it, but since they're continuing with this brand for both the movie and the manga, it's more likely that an eventual return of DB on TV will also be called Super and therefore there would be no reason for a retelling.

The reasons why they probably did the retellings in the first place are probably numerous, but between the fact Toriyama wanted some changes done to better fit his later stories, the fact they needed some more production time given the pace the series was greenlit at and the fact that the movies are Z branded, when the actual Z series ends at a later point than even the ulterior stories under Super (which could cause some confusion for new viewers), none of those really apply at this point, at least from what we know and what we can suppose so far.
I understand and validate your opinion. But wouldn't it be somehow weird: DBS episode 132 as a continuation of Super would start right after TOP if you would buy a Blue Ray-set of DBS-series let's say in 2021, as if the movie has never happend and without any reference point to it?

User avatar
Helios518
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:42 pm
Location: Not where you think

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Helios518 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
Draconic wrote:Seeing as the movie is labled as a DB Super movie and the manga might adapt it as is, I don't think if the series comes back they'll retell it. Maybe if an entire new show comes back, they'll do it, but since they're continuing with this brand for both the movie and the manga, it's more likely that an eventual return of DB on TV will also be called Super and therefore there would be no reason for a retelling.

The reasons why they probably did the retellings in the first place are probably numerous, but between the fact Toriyama wanted some changes done to better fit his later stories, the fact they needed some more production time given the pace the series was greenlit at and the fact that the movies are Z branded, when the actual Z series ends at a later point than even the ulterior stories under Super (which could cause some confusion for new viewers), none of those really apply at this point, at least from what we know and what we can suppose so far.
I understand and validate your opinion. But wouldn't it be somehow weird: DBS episode 132 as a continuation of Super would start right after TOP if you would buy a Blue Ray-set of DBS-series let's say in 2021, as if the movie has never happend and without any reference point to it?
They could just do a 30 second flashback/recap of the movie at the start of 132.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

User avatar
Draconic
I Live Here
Posts: 2019
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:44 pm
Location: Romania

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Draconic » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:58 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
Draconic wrote:Seeing as the movie is labled as a DB Super movie and the manga might adapt it as is, I don't think if the series comes back they'll retell it. Maybe if an entire new show comes back, they'll do it, but since they're continuing with this brand for both the movie and the manga, it's more likely that an eventual return of DB on TV will also be called Super and therefore there would be no reason for a retelling.

The reasons why they probably did the retellings in the first place are probably numerous, but between the fact Toriyama wanted some changes done to better fit his later stories, the fact they needed some more production time given the pace the series was greenlit at and the fact that the movies are Z branded, when the actual Z series ends at a later point than even the ulterior stories under Super (which could cause some confusion for new viewers), none of those really apply at this point, at least from what we know and what we can suppose so far.
I understand and validate your opinion. But wouldn't it be somehow weird: DBS episode 132 as a continuation of Super would start right after TOP if you would buy a Blue Ray-set of DBS-series let's say in 2021, as if the movie has never happend and without any reference point to it?
Well, instead of the recap at the beginning of 132 being of 131, they can do it for the movie. I mean, Super itself begins with a recap of the Buu arc, so things like that are not unprecedented.

From what I understand, there might have been some licensing issues for why they couldn't use BoG/RoF footage in the retellings (which seeing as they were retellings in the first place would have kinda been pointless anyway), but I think the people in charge are probably in a much better spot today than they were in 2015 regarding their handling of those behind the scenes issues.

Not to mention, with how big a brand Super is, I find it hard to believe anyone who watched the series up to 131 wouldn't watch the movie, so they wouldn't be lost going into 132 and if the movie brings in new viewers, I think that would be enough of a starting point going forward.

The only people who might have some accomdation problems would be people jumping straight into 132, which are probably very few anyway and if they do get hooked, would probably have enough resources at hand to catch up in the right order.
English is not my first language !

My breakdown of the new and old transformations. Hope to update it soon with many others!

User avatar
mute_proxy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Planet 4032-877

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:17 am

New promo art on the cover of V-Jump

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

User avatar
Sin
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 795
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: England

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Sin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:23 am

mute_proxy wrote:New promo art on the cover of V-Jump

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I'm really liking those colours, always loved the washed out Super Saiyan yellow.

kn83
Banned
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by kn83 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:51 pm

mute_proxy wrote:New promo art on the cover of V-Jump

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
If Goku and others look like that in the movie then that would be great.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Helios518 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote: Well at the time it were two movies and the first one, BoG, was released on 2013 so it makes sense Toriyama wanted it to be retold, and so RoF had to be retold too. Those movies were also still under the Z brand. I hope that if the show continues they won't retell this new movie, it would be a waste of time and it would obviously look worse in the TV version.
But, they do want to make sure their viewers see what the movie showed because not everyone watches movies. Those people would be confused if they reference the movie at all.
I never really understood this. If a person is not going to bother to watch an 1 - 2 hour movie, what makes you believe they would watch an arc with at least a dozen episodes?
Well with the retellings have done well suggest that a lot of people did actually.

User avatar
Helios518
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:42 pm
Location: Not where you think

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Helios518 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Helios518 wrote:
majinwarman wrote: But, they do want to make sure their viewers see what the movie showed because not everyone watches movies. Those people would be confused if they reference the movie at all.
I never really understood this. If a person is not going to bother to watch an 1 - 2 hour movie, what makes you believe they would watch an arc with at least a dozen episodes?
Well with the retellings have done well suggest that a lot of people did actually.
Where are you basing this info from?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

User avatar
Mister_Popo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:11 pm

mute_proxy wrote:New promo art on the cover of V-Jump

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I wonder what the silver dragon-like character top right might represent. First tease of the new villain? Or could it be Zalama? It looks like we are going to see MUI again in the movie, but that's no real surprise.

User avatar
VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 781
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Seeing as he's been composing the music for most of Toei's films lately, how would you guys feel if Yuki Hayashi made the movie's score instead of Sumitomo?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

User avatar
mute_proxy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Planet 4032-877

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
I wonder what the silver dragon-like character top right might represent. First tease of the new villain? Or could it be Zalama? It looks like we are going to see MUI again in the movie, but that's no real surprise.
Uhh... are you joking? That's a Yu-Gi-Oh card lol

User avatar
Mister_Popo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:02 pm

mute_proxy wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
I wonder what the silver dragon-like character top right might represent. First tease of the new villain? Or could it be Zalama? It looks like we are going to see MUI again in the movie, but that's no real surprise.
Uhh... are you joking? That's a Yu-Gi-Oh card lol
Chill out bro.
I don't know these cards you are mentioning very well. I thought it had elements in it that are somehow connected to the movie. That it was intented as some kind of preview.

User avatar
Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 9:35 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Big Black Sayian » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:06 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
I wonder what the silver dragon-like character top right might represent. First tease of the new villain? Or could it be Zalama? It looks like we are going to see MUI again in the movie, but that's no real surprise.
Uhh... are you joking? That's a Yu-Gi-Oh card lol
Chill out bro.
I don't know these cards you are mentioning very well. I thought it had elements in it that are somehow connected to the movie. That it was intented as some kind of preview.
Nah. I Yu-Gi-Oh card is on all the covers.lol

User avatar
Helios518
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:42 pm
Location: Not where you think

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Helios518 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
I wonder what the silver dragon-like character top right might represent. First tease of the new villain? Or could it be Zalama? It looks like we are going to see MUI again in the movie, but that's no real surprise.
Uhh... are you joking? That's a Yu-Gi-Oh card lol
Chill out bro.
I don't know these cards you are mentioning very well. I thought it had elements in it that are somehow connected to the movie. That it was intented as some kind of preview.
Proxy isn't really being aggressive with his comment, so there's really no need to tell him "Chill out bro". It's also fine, everybody makes mistakes. Though I'm surprised that there's someone that doesn't know the iconic layout to a Yu-Gi-Oh card.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

User avatar
Mister_Popo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:15 pm

Helios518 wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
Uhh... are you joking? That's a Yu-Gi-Oh card lol
Chill out bro.
I don't know these cards you are mentioning very well. I thought it had elements in it that are somehow connected to the movie. That it was intented as some kind of preview.
Proxy isn't really being aggressive with his comment, so there's really no need to tell him "Chill out bro". It's also fine, everybody makes mistakes. Though I'm surprised that there's someone that doesn't know the iconic layout to a Yu-Gi-Oh card.
No prob. I do know the art on the covers, i recognize it, but i didn't knew in what context it's used in comparison to the movie. it's posted here in the movie-segment for a reason, i presume.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:36 pm

Helios518 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Helios518 wrote:
I never really understood this. If a person is not going to bother to watch an 1 - 2 hour movie, what makes you believe they would watch an arc with at least a dozen episodes?
Well with the retellings have done well suggest that a lot of people did actually.
Where are you basing this info from?
The fact the retellings seem to have done well, in the big 3 English regions (NA, NZ/Aus and UK) the retellings sold really well despite all three already having released the movies and still available for a fraction of the price, FUNi's release for Part 1 was out of stock as soon as release day.

User avatar
Helios518
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:42 pm
Location: Not where you think

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Helios518 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Helios518 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Well with the retellings have done well suggest that a lot of people did actually.
Where are you basing this info from?
The fact the retellings seem to have done well, in the big 3 English regions (NA, NZ/Aus and UK) the retellings sold really well despite all three already having released the movies and still available for a fraction of the price, FUNi's release for Part 1 was out of stock as soon as release day.
That's doesn't tell us that how much people watched the retellings without watching the movies as well.

EDIT: fixed reply
Last edited by Helios518 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Post Reply