Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:13 am

Mister_Popo wrote:I like them to reserve UI for special occations, but one could argue: ain't this movie special enough to do so?
Of course it is. It'd be a big mistake to not have it show up with all the epic fights we'll get. Hopefully we'll see Vegeta show a glimps of it as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:10 pm

sintzu wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:I like them to reserve UI for special occations, but one could argue: ain't this movie special enough to do so?
Of course it is. It'd be a big mistake to not have it show up with all the epic fights we'll get. Hopefully we'll see Vegeta show a glimps of it as well.
Yeah, hopefully he'll get the "Omen" badass form with the dark hair. I like the look of that one more than a complete version. (Of course I also hope he'll get the Mastered one eventually)
Get Fucked, C_unt

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:Yeah, hopefully he'll get the "Omen" badass form with the dark hair. I like the look of that one more than a complete version. (Of course I also hope he'll get the Mastered one eventually)
Maybe Vegeta can get the Omen form and use it to keep the villain busy while Goku rests from a previous beating. The Omen form's weakness, of course, is that it isn't only good for defense. On the offensive side, it is really weak. So if the form does return, it would mainly only be useful for buying time.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:45 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:Yeah, hopefully he'll get the "Omen" badass form with the dark hair. I like the look of that one more than a complete version. (Of course I also hope he'll get the Mastered one eventually)
Maybe Vegeta can get the Omen form and use it to keep the villain busy while Goku rests from a previous beating. The Omen form's weakness, of course, is that it isn't only good for defense. On the offensive side, it is really weak. So if the form does return, it would mainly only be useful for buying time.
I think that they will continue to let Vegeta not get the same forms that Goku get.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:54 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:

Great idea. Honestly, i didn't think episode 128 was a bad episode, but it could have been so much more epic if 'Vegeta's fall' would have been accompanied with fragments of (attacking) Omen Ui (without being able to control it like Goku did manage) to give Jiren some reply in stead of just receiving beatings. It could still be possible, but that's just fanfiction from my part, Vegeta, because of his attacking character would get the attacking side of UI first.

SSJBE and SSJB Kaioken have a sniff of 'filler-form' to me. SSJB Kaioken doesn't appear in the manga and SSJBE: it would be a surprise to be if it was to happen in TOP manga.

Now Goku has mastered UI and Goku mostly stays just one step beyond Vegeta, it wouldn"t be more than fair to give him (Vegeta) Omen UI. If Mastered UI would appear in the movie to become a real challenge for the villain, what's Blue Kaioken or Blue Evolution compared to that? If Vegeta would only get Blue Evolution, he'd basically be total fodder to the villain.

Vegeta's thoughts went back to the training he had with Goku and Whis. Whis saw the 'Omen' in Goku. Maybe it would have been too soon if Vegeta had received full Omen UI straight off the bat in the TOP arc.

Between TOP and the movie could be some time for Vegeta to have received some additional training from Whis to get in done in really critical circumstances.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:43 am

Mister_Popo wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:

Great idea. Honestly, i didn't think episode 128 was a bad episode, but it could have been so much more epic if 'Vegeta's fall' would have been accompanied with fragments of (attacking) Omen Ui (without being able to control it like Goku did manage) to give Jiren some reply in stead of just receiving beatings. It could still be possible, but that's just fanfiction from my part, Vegeta, because of his attacking character would get the attacking side of UI first.

SSJBE and SSJB Kaioken have a sniff of 'filler-form' to me. SSJB Kaioken doesn't appear in the manga and SSJBE: it would be a surprise to be if it was to happen in TOP manga.

Now Goku has mastered UI and Goku mostly stays just one step beyond Vegeta, it wouldn"t be more than fair to give him (Vegeta) Omen UI. If Mastered UI would appear in the movie to become a real challenge for the villain, what's Blue Kaioken or Blue Evolution compared to that? If Vegeta would only get Blue Evolution, he'd basically be total fodder to the villain.

Vegeta's thoughts went back to the training he had with Goku and Whis. Whis saw the 'Omen' in Goku. Maybe it would have been too soon if Vegeta had received full Omen UI straight off the bat in the TOP arc.

Between TOP and the movie could be some time for Vegeta to have received some additional training from Whis to get in done in really critical circumstances.
Something appearing or not appearing in the DBS Manga is not indicative of anything, it's not the source material, it's an alternative telling that's all.

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:20 am

ZeroNeonix wrote:
I'd like Vegeta to have an offensive version of UI Omen, so instead of being strictly defensive like UI Omen Goku, he would be able to attack unconiously, but his defense would be weak.

Boku no Hitto

Post by Boku no Hitto » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:11 am

I'm not sure if this has already been pointed out but I just realised something, given the timeline of when these designs were made, haven't we already seen them in use before the trailer? In the 4d broly movie?

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:03 am

Boku no Hitto wrote:I'm not sure if this has already been pointed out but I just realised something, given the timeline of when these designs were made, haven't we already seen them in use before the trailer? In the 4d broly movie?
They're definitely similar, but they're not the same.

New Movie character designs :

4D Broly movie character designs :

The nose, ears, muscles and colouring are all completely different.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Firebolt wrote:I'd like Vegeta to have an offensive version of UI Omen, so instead of being strictly defensive like UI Omen Goku, he would be able to attack unconiously, but his defense would be weak.
I think the reason why Omen could dodge perfectly but wasn't effective with attacks was because attacking takes much more concentration. If somebody throws a punch at you, the only thing you have to worry about is moving out of the way. Attacking, however, requires strategy and forethought. Dodging is passive, while attacking is active. Goku is only able to do the latter without thinking after he's reached a mental state where he's lost all sense of self. It wouldn't make much sense to flip them around and have a form where one can attack but not dodge.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:04 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Something appearing or not appearing in the DBS Manga is not indicative of anything, it's not the source material, it's an alternative telling that's all.
Well, if something appears in one and not the other, it means that Toriyama didn't include it in his outline. The anime and manga essentially have their own separate canons now.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:19 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Something appearing or not appearing in the DBS Manga is not indicative of anything, it's not the source material, it's an alternative telling that's all.
Well, if something appears in one and not the other, it means that Toriyama didn't include it in his outline. The anime and manga essentially have their own separate canons now.
No it doesn't. Vegetto appeared in both, that wasn't in the outline. Namekian Book of Legends appeared in the anime and didn't in the Manga and that came from Toriyama, Kale like Vegetto wasn't in his outline and appears in both anime and Manga. Which is why it is a pointless task trying to sleuth what is the outline or not.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:20 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:
No it doesn't. Vegetto appeared in both, that wasn't in the outline. Namekian Book of Legends appeared in the anime and didn't in the Manga and that came from Toriyama, Kale like Vegetto wasn't in his outline and appears in both anime and Manga. Which is why it is a pointless task trying to sleuth what is the outline or not.
Also Super Saiyan Goku Black. That was in the design notes, but in the anime he never went Super Saiyan.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:36 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:

Something appearing or not appearing in the DBS Manga is not indicative of anything, it's not the source material, it's an alternative telling that's all.
You are right the manga isn't a true indicator anymore. But i meant, if it was really Toriyama's true idea, Blue Kaioken probably would have been in the manga as well. Manga and anime are different interpretations but they pretty much share Toriyama's basic plot.
Blue Evolution and Kaioken 20 only had one story-build purpose, to make Jiren a formidable and untouchable wall and prolong the arc. They didn't really add other value than TOEI expanding the Tournament and make more episodes. I wouldn't be too surprised they'll retcon it at some point if the story-purpose of the forms really becomes obsolete. Same with Blue Kaioken 10 in the U6 arc or even Blue Vegeta in Future Trunks-arc. They weren't Toriyama's ideas. It was only TOEI searching for something that impressed the audience till Toriyama came up with the real next level after Blue with MUI. And for a clearance, i don't necessarily blame TOEI for that, it's their right to add things. I do like some but not everything they add. I did like Blue Vegetto as a worthy opponent for Merged Zamasu and Kefla's challenge to Goku and the value of that fight for the mastery of UI, but i am less fond of Blue Kaioken / Evolution and what it truely adds to the story.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:51 pm

majinwarman wrote:I think that they will continue to let Vegeta not get the same forms that Goku get.
What you mean by "continue"? Besides SSJ3 and UI, Vegeta has all forms Goku has and even one he didn't reach yet (SSJBE)
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:03 pm

Sooooo, anybody think for this movie they might have Hironobu Kageyama do the end credits theme for it? He didn't for 'Battle of Gods' or 'Ressurection F' but besides them, he's basically done every movie theme in Z.

If not, that sucks. I miss him in Dragon Ball so much lol
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:12 pm

Logania wrote:Sooooo, anybody think for this movie they might have Hironobu Kageyama do the end credits theme for it? He didn't for 'Battle of Gods' or 'Ressurection F' but besides them, he's basically done every movie theme in Z.

If not, that sucks. I miss him in Dragon Ball so much lol
I would love his return alongisde Shunsuke Kikuchi, but remember this a Super not a Z movie (though BoG and RoF also were and they were absent, but you got my point lol) so we should expect Norihito Sumitomo and Akira Kushida.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:59 am

As the story explores the Saiyans origins and the re-introduction of Saiyans with tail, i hope we'll see some incarnation of the Oozaru again. And why not one with a 'divine' stature? It's been a while (since Saiyan saga of Z) since we've seen the Great Ape in action besides GT or the movies. The circumstances are set for an epic return of this form. The Oozaru is very much linked with the origin of Saiyan-power, even more so than the SSJ-forms. I hope they'll explore it. Kefla and Goku Black were Saiyans with 'casual' transformations / hair recoloring, i hope we'll see something different this time, something that goes beyond a Saiyan that looks like SSJ4 with a green aura.

Toriyama was talking of a 'formidable foe'. Well, if he could go Oozaru, that surely would make him formidable.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:42 am

Mister_Popo wrote:As the story explores the Saiyans origins and the re-introduction of Saiyans with tail, i hope we'll see some incarnation of the Oozaru again. And why not one with a 'divine' stature? It's been a while (since Saiyan saga of Z) since we've seen the Great Ape in action besides GT or the movies. The circumstances are set for an epic return of this form. The Oozaru is very much linked with the origin of Saiyan-power, even more so than the SSJ-forms. I hope they'll explore it. Kefla and Goku Black were Saiyans with 'casual' transformations / hair recoloring, i hope we'll see something different this time, something that goes beyond a Saiyan that looks like SSJ4 with a green aura.

Toriyama was talking of a 'formidable foe'. Well, if he could go Oozaru, that surely would make him formidable.
A Super Saiyan Berserker Oozaru might be interesting. It would allow the villain to take on a large group of fighters at once.