Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:17 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:BoG introduced the concept of 12 universes, a new god to the hierarchy of dragon ball and new antagonist, a new form, and lore about the saiyans.
It introduced more but it's plot was still more shallow. Cool that they added a line about their being 12 Universes but that had zero affect on the story. They could have removed that line entirely and nothing about the movie would have changed.

The meat of that movies plot was paper thin. Beerus, a God of Destruction, wakes up after almost 40 years, remembers something about a Super Saiyan and goes to look for him. There's a bunch of party antics filler in the middle. Then Goku shows up, becomes a God, fights Beerus, loses, the end.

Resurrection F was shallow as well, just being a basic revenge story but at least that story was fully fleshed out from start to finish with no pointless filler. It had the better story structure even if it didn't as much going forward.

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Bullza wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:BoG introduced the concept of 12 universes, a new god to the hierarchy of dragon ball and new antagonist, a new form, and lore about the saiyans.
It introduced more but it's plot was still more shallow. Cool that they added a line about their being 12 Universes but that had zero affect on the story. They could have removed that line entirely and nothing about the movie would have changed.

The meat of that movies plot was paper thin. Beerus, a God of Destruction, wakes up after almost 40 years, remembers something about a Super Saiyan and goes to look for him. There's a bunch of party antics filler in the middle. Then Goku shows up, becomes a God, fights Beerus, loses, the end.

Resurrection F was shallow as well, just being a basic revenge story but at least that story was fully fleshed out from start to finish with no pointless filler. It had the better story structure even if it didn't as much going forward.
No no no. Lets break both movies down into their purist forms

BoG: Beerus wakes up and searches for SSGod. Goku fights him and loses. Bulma has a birthday. Beerus gets mad and ends up taking on the Z fighters. We find out the lore of the SSGod. Goku becomes an ssg and fights Beerus again. Goku loses but Beerus lets him off the hook and goes home.

RoF: Remains of Freeza army resurrect Freeza. Freeza soldiers vs Z Fighters. Goku fights Freeza. Blue Goku fights Golden Freeza. Vegeta Blue fights Freeza. World explodes and is reversed. Goku kills Freeza. Everyone eats at Capsule Corp.

There is much more going on with BoG where with RoF most of it is just fighting with a lack of plot. There isn’t really that much to flesh out in RoF to begin with. We only get new transformations. Freeza is an old villain and no new lore was added on to the series. RoF has WAY WAY smaller of a lasting impact than BoG. Lets be honest. BoG is the gate to most of the modern world of Dragon Ball while RoF could have never happened and nothing much would have changed with modern dragon ball.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5711
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:31 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:The movie's production is more than fine, it's excellent.
How'd you know that?
Because they started work on the designs last February and animation in January of this year, that's excellent.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:34 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:This movie better not be some filler rubbish and actually connect to a new series as we could have had a more unique character than a Saiyan with a tail.

This movie just seems like pointless Saiyan lore with 1 fight that is Goku fighting the Saiyan at the end.
I think it'll be like RF where it's just "Villain shows up, Goku kills him" as at the end of the day, it's a movie about a Saiyan with a tail. at this point there's nothing more you can do with that except move merchandise which I guess is what they're thinking. I wish someone would tell them new ideas and characters move just as much if not more.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:48 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:BoG: Beerus wakes up and searches for SSGod. Goku fights him and loses. Bulma has a birthday. Beerus gets mad and ends up taking on the Z fighters. We find out the lore of the SSGod. Goku becomes an ssg and fights Beerus again. Goku loses but Beerus lets him off the hook and goes home.

RoF: Remains of Freeza army resurrect Freeza. Freeza soldiers vs Z Fighters. Goku fights Freeza. Blue Goku fights Golden Freeza. Vegeta Blue fights Freeza. World explodes and is reversed. Goku kills Freeza. Everyone eats at Capsule Corp.

There is much more going on with BoG where with RoF most of it is just fighting with a lack of plot. There isn’t really that much to flesh out in RoF to begin with. We only get new transformations. Freeza is an old villain and no new lore was added on to the series. RoF has WAY WAY smaller of a lasting impact than BoG. Lets be honest. BoG is the gate to most of the modern world of Dragon Ball while RoF could have never happened and nothing much would have changed with modern dragon ball.
What you just named for Battle of Gods is it's beginning and end. Goku fights Beerus and loses ----> Beerus gets angry and fights the Z Fighters. That's the problem with the movie because nothing happened in the middle.

That's why they wasted about 10 minutes on a Pilaf subplot that added nothing to the main plot and them just messing around playing bingo and making the odd comment.

The story involves the main antagonist seeking out the protagonists just because of a dream. He wants to fight Super Saiyan God....because he just, there's no worthwhile motivations involved. Nothing of importance happens in the middle. Then the action is kicked off over due to a comedic gag with the pudding, there's a bunch of fighting and then it ends.

Resurrection F had a basic revenge story that at least had a proper beginning, middle and end. There was no filler or silly antics, they just spent the time instead on the action that was part of that revenge. Frieza had a proper motivation for wanting to defeat the protagonists and the action kicked off for appropriate reasons.

Lasting impact only affects what happens after so again even though the 12 Universes comment was very important for later on, it had no affect on that movies story itself.

Then there's how the movie in general was more dramatic and intense which is all done to how it's story was told.

User avatar
JazzMazz
I Live Here
Posts: 2216
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:45 am

Bullza wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:BoG: Beerus wakes up and searches for SSGod. Goku fights him and loses. Bulma has a birthday. Beerus gets mad and ends up taking on the Z fighters. We find out the lore of the SSGod. Goku becomes an ssg and fights Beerus again. Goku loses but Beerus lets him off the hook and goes home.

RoF: Remains of Freeza army resurrect Freeza. Freeza soldiers vs Z Fighters. Goku fights Freeza. Blue Goku fights Golden Freeza. Vegeta Blue fights Freeza. World explodes and is reversed. Goku kills Freeza. Everyone eats at Capsule Corp.

There is much more going on with BoG where with RoF most of it is just fighting with a lack of plot. There isn’t really that much to flesh out in RoF to begin with. We only get new transformations. Freeza is an old villain and no new lore was added on to the series. RoF has WAY WAY smaller of a lasting impact than BoG. Lets be honest. BoG is the gate to most of the modern world of Dragon Ball while RoF could have never happened and nothing much would have changed with modern dragon ball.
What you just named for Battle of Gods is it's beginning and end. Goku fights Beerus and loses ----> Beerus gets angry and fights the Z Fighters. That's the problem with the movie because nothing happened in the middle.

That's why they wasted about 10 minutes on a Pilaf subplot that added nothing to the main plot and them just messing around playing bingo and making the odd comment.

The story involves the main antagonist seeking out the protagonists just because of a dream. He wants to fight Super Saiyan God....because he just, there's no worthwhile motivations involved. Nothing of importance happens in the middle. Then the action is kicked off over due to a comedic gag with the pudding, there's a bunch of fighting and then it ends.

Resurrection F had a basic revenge story that at least had a proper beginning, middle and end. There was no filler or silly antics, they just spent the time instead on the action that was part of that revenge. Frieza had a proper motivation for wanting to defeat the protagonists and the action kicked off for appropriate reasons.

Lasting impact only affects what happens after so again even though the 12 Universes comment was very important for later on, it had no affect on that movies story itself.

Then there's how the movie in general was more dramatic and intense which is all done to how it's story was told.
So that almost entirely superfluous and boring battle against Freeza's army couldn't be considered filler? I mean, it had as much impact on the plot as anything that happened in the middle section of BOG, in fact, I would say that it had even less impact. For BOG you could at least say there were some interesting antics with Vegeta trying to keep Beerus calm, and showcasing Beerus' temperament as a character(whose scenes there did a good job of selling his personality). My question is what did the fight with Freeza's soldiers add to the plot or to the development of the portrayal's of the characters besides action?

Also, they did go out of their way to establish Beerus really really obvious motivations for fighting the Super Saiyan God. He thought it would be fun. Since his extra-ordinarily strong, there aren't many people that can give him any sort of challenge and this often leaves him pretty bored, something which he believes a Super Saiyan God would be capable of providing him with. How isn't this a motivation?

As for lasting impact, BOG still comes through on that front. It established the concept of a God of Destruction, as well as Beerus and Whis as characters. It introduced a whole new plateau of strength that our characters needed to reach for.

ROF didn't really establish a new plateau of strength, but it did catalogue Goku and Vegeta's progress since BOG with the evolution of the transformation from the last film.

That's really the only lasting impact ROF had. It didn't open up any story possibilities that weren't already presented, it merely catalogued the progress Goku and Vegeta had made since BOG.

Also, massive :lol: for describing ROF as dramatic and intense, since its a film known for hardly ever being dramatic or intense.

User avatar
wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by wolflonnie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:18 am

An important contribution of ROF is to make Frieza's return in the TOP more beliavable and interesting. Imagine if Frieza came back without the movie, after all those years, without having made any progresses from his defeat by the hands of Trunks.

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:02 am

wolflonnie wrote:An important contribution of ROF is to make Frieza's return in the TOP more beliavable and interesting. Imagine if Frieza came back without the movie, after all those years, without having made any progresses from his defeat by the hands of Trunks.
Ok. But what made a bigger contribution to the series as a whole? BoG or RoF?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:57 am

JazzMazz wrote:So that almost entirely superfluous and boring battle against Freeza's army couldn't be considered filler? I mean, it had as much impact on the plot as anything that happened in the middle section of BOG, in fact, I would say that it had even less impact.
That was an action sequence that involved main characters and them combating the 1,000 force army that came to Earth. It wasn't meant to push the plot, that was just for entertainment.

The Pilaf stuff though was an actual subplot that served no purpose in any way. The whole thing resolved with them revealing themselves and a drunk Gohan deflecting bullets of which one of them hit Beerus. Now had that been the thing that set Beerus off then it would've served some purpose but it didn't.
He thought it would be fun.
That's shallow and forced storytelling. Some all powerful being who conveniently slept throughout all the events of Z, wakes up and remembers a convenient dream a Super Saiyan God so goes to find him because it'd be fun.

Frieza's motivations were unoriginal but at least it made sense.
That's really the only lasting impact ROF had. It didn't open up any story possibilities that weren't already presented, it merely catalogued the progress Goku and Vegeta had made since BOG.
Well not really because it was that movie where Ultra Instinct was alluded to for the first time which was clearly very important at the end. Also because they brought back Frieza and powered him up hugely is what led to them bringing him back for the Tournament which was also important in the long run because it's why they ultimately won it.

Whis' time reversal also played a part later with Zamasu.
Also, massive :lol: for describing ROF as dramatic and intense, since its a film known for hardly ever being dramatic or intense.
Compared to Battle of God's it was. Frieza stopping Gohan's heart, Frieza killing all his men, Frieza destroying a city full of people, Frieza blasting a hole through Goku and stomping on the wound, Frieza blowing up the planet, Frieza dying etc.

Battle of God's was very light. Except for the very end when Beerus was going to destroy the planet there was no intensity and it was so gag filled anyway that it was never dramatic.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13706
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:34 am

Freeza killing all those men nobody was invested in sure was dramatic (not really). I love the hilarious ending of Fukkatsu no F as much as the next guy but the film obviously needed a better director to push the dramatic energy of the film further. The last two films have basically been directed by the biggest Yes Men possible, neither with an interesting or overly colorful style of directing. Now we're going to have a director who stood up and told Oda Ei'ichirou "No" when Oda wanted more humor in One Piece Film Z.
She/Her | Extremely Online MILF

User avatar
JazzMazz
I Live Here
Posts: 2216
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:36 am

JulieYBM wrote:Freeza killing all those men nobody was invested in sure was dramatic (not really). I love the hilarious ending of Fukkatsu no F as much as the next guy but the film obviously needed a better director to push the dramatic energy of the film further. The last two films have basically been directed by the biggest Yes Men possible, neither with an interesting or overly colorful style of directing. Now we're going to have a director who stood up and told Oda Ei'ichirou "No" when Oda wanted more humor in One Piece Film Z.
Nagamine actually did that?

How did that go down?

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13706
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:43 am

JazzMazz wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Freeza killing all those men nobody was invested in sure was dramatic (not really). I love the hilarious ending of Fukkatsu no F as much as the next guy but the film obviously needed a better director to push the dramatic energy of the film further. The last two films have basically been directed by the biggest Yes Men possible, neither with an interesting or overly colorful style of directing. Now we're going to have a director who stood up and told Oda Ei'ichirou "No" when Oda wanted more humor in One Piece Film Z.
Nagamine actually did that?

How did that go down?
There's still a lot of stupid Oda humor, but I imagine there's simply less than Oda would have wanted. Certainly, the dramatic ending actually lands at least.
She/Her | Extremely Online MILF

Toxin45
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:35 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Toxin45 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:12 am

The reason why Frieza returns in this movie is because the writers wanted to make him the archenemy of Goku due to reasons.

User avatar
Vegeta_Sama
Regular
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm
Location: Capsule Corporation

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:20 am

Toxin45 wrote:The reason why Frieza returns in this movie is because the writers wanted to make him the archenemy of Goku due to reasons.
I can tell you're really passionate about this topic, considering the fact that you're SPAMMING THIS IN EVERY THREAD
My interpretation of the Dragon Ball Canon

Toxin45
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:35 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Toxin45 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:03 am

Okay chill man sorry.

User avatar
Vegeta_Sama
Regular
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm
Location: Capsule Corporation

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:13 am

Toxin45 wrote:Okay chill man sorry.
No problem
My interpretation of the Dragon Ball Canon

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3061
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:49 am

sintzu wrote:I wish someone would tell them new ideas and characters move just as much if not more.
Bandai and co will just keep doing what they're doing now and roll out a shitload of Goku and Vegeta figures with the movie logo slapped on and maybe a small handfull of figures for the new character(s). I won't be the least bit surprised if they rolled out a new Broly under the movie brand since they've pushed him and SS4 Goku under the Super brand. :problem:

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5424
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:21 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Now we're going to have a director who stood up and told Oda Ei'ichirou "No" when Oda wanted more humor in One Piece Film Z.
Hard to believe someone said that to Oda. Can you share your source?
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15082
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:51 pm

While I don't have a source myself, as someone who's been following One Piece for a good while that bit about Nagamine and Oda does sound familiar.

There may be something about it here http://www.onepiecepodcast.com/ . I don't have an exact page though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13706
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:00 pm

It is something I read on AP yrars ago, so I might be misremembering.
She/Her | Extremely Online MILF

Post Reply