Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by majinwarman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:32 pm

Chuquita wrote:While I don't have a source myself, as someone who's been following One Piece for a good while that bit about Nagamine and Oda does sound familiar.

There may be something about it here http://www.onepiecepodcast.com/ . I don't have an exact page though.
Hopefully this is not a problem that this film has. I want it to be good so bad.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:52 pm

What we need is an editor. Yes, Toriyama’s worst nightmare. But thats probably what made Dragon Ball so good. They came in clutch were Toriyama would have screwed up. I know Toriyama would probably rather die than have to work under an editor again but we need someone who can keep the order and be the pillar that keeps the quality of Dragon Ball up.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:08 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
wolflonnie wrote:An important contribution of ROF is to make Frieza's return in the TOP more beliavable and interesting. Imagine if Frieza came back without the movie, after all those years, without having made any progresses from his defeat by the hands of Trunks.
Ok. But what made a bigger contribution to the series as a whole? BoG or RoF?
BoG no doubt of course :lol:

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:14 am

Bullza wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:So that almost entirely superfluous and boring battle against Freeza's army couldn't be considered filler? I mean, it had as much impact on the plot as anything that happened in the middle section of BOG, in fact, I would say that it had even less impact.
That was an action sequence that involved main characters and them combating the 1,000 force army that came to Earth. It wasn't meant to push the plot, that was just for entertainment.

The Pilaf stuff though was an actual subplot that served no purpose in any way. The whole thing resolved with them revealing themselves and a drunk Gohan deflecting bullets of which one of them hit Beerus. Now had that been the thing that set Beerus off then it would've served some purpose but it didn't.
He thought it would be fun.
That's shallow and forced storytelling. Some all powerful being who conveniently slept throughout all the events of Z, wakes up and remembers a convenient dream a Super Saiyan God so goes to find him because it'd be fun.

Frieza's motivations were unoriginal but at least it made sense.
That's really the only lasting impact ROF had. It didn't open up any story possibilities that weren't already presented, it merely catalogued the progress Goku and Vegeta had made since BOG.
Well not really because it was that movie where Ultra Instinct was alluded to for the first time which was clearly very important at the end. Also because they brought back Frieza and powered him up hugely is what led to them bringing him back for the Tournament which was also important in the long run because it's why they ultimately won it.

Whis' time reversal also played a part later with Zamasu.
Also, massive :lol: for describing ROF as dramatic and intense, since its a film known for hardly ever being dramatic or intense.
Compared to Battle of God's it was. Frieza stopping Gohan's heart, Frieza killing all his men, Frieza destroying a city full of people, Frieza blasting a hole through Goku and stomping on the wound, Frieza blowing up the planet, Frieza dying etc.

Battle of God's was very light. Except for the very end when Beerus was going to destroy the planet there was no intensity and it was so gag filled anyway that it was never dramatic.
That is selective thinking at it's finest.

So,resurrecting a old villain with the help of filler pilaf gang(pilaf inventing dragon radar comes from bog) when that villain has already reappeared in a similar manner isn't forced or shallow?

Combating thousand combatants when either piccolo or gohan should have been able to be done with them in one shot isn't forced?

Shisami's,tagoma's and freeza's power jumps are not forced and stupid?Ginyu reappearing isn't forced and stupid?

Og db and buu saga are part of the intense dragon ball franchise.

All those moments feel caricature of galactic tyrant that blew krillin from inside and broke one of most prideful and arrogant character introduced in the franchise.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:21 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:What we need is an editor. Yes, Toriyama’s worst nightmare. But thats probably what made Dragon Ball so good. They came in clutch were Toriyama would have screwed up. I know Toriyama would probably rather die than have to work under an editor again but we need someone who can keep the order and be the pillar that keeps the quality of Dragon Ball up.
Nagamine could act as the editor if it’s true he stood up to Oda for Film Z.

Remember that editors didn’t want Toriyama to age Goku up, so it’s not like they are perfect.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:53 am

Hawk9211 wrote:So,resurrecting a old villain with the help of filler pilaf gang(pilaf inventing dragon radar comes from bog) when that villain has already reappeared in a similar manner isn't forced or shallow?
That's not forced and I wouldn't say shallow as revenge plots are common. We know that Frieza could be revived and we know that he would still want revenge so it wasn't forced at all just unoriginal and repetitive at worst.. An all powerful God of Destruction who had never been mentioned who just happened to be asleep the whole time through Dragon Ball and just happened to remember a Super Saiyan God from a dream, yeah that's a bit forced.

All the action kicked off appropriately. In Battle of Gods, Beerus just shows up, gets mad because he didn't get any pudding then decided he wants to blow up the planet for it. That's creating something out of nothing, a gag.
Combating thousand combatants when either piccolo or gohan should have been able to be done with them in one shot isn't forced?
Maybe but then that wouldn't be entertaining at all. They also weren't aiming to kill them anyway so wouldn't have just created one massive explosion and nuked them.
Shisami's,tagoma's and freeza's power jumps are not forced and stupid?Ginyu reappearing isn't forced and stupid?
Tagoma's was forced. Shisami in the movie was confusing because they never said he had a huge power jump. Frieza....not particularly, they needed to do something to power up or there would have been no movie to tell in the first place. The way they did it was pretty clever too, if he's naturally got a power level of 120 million and never even trained then yeah it's believable he'd skyrocket as he did.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:42 am

wolflonnie wrote:An important contribution of ROF is to make Frieza's return in the TOP more beliavable and interesting. Imagine if Frieza came back without the movie, after all those years, without having made any progresses from his defeat by the hands of Trunks.
If there wasn't a Movie 15 (and oh boy, we shouldn't have had it), Toriyama/Toei would make Freeza to train through his mind, as we came to learn that he did it. That's why he came up with that "perfect Golden Form".

There are always other ways to do stuff.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:46 am

sintzu wrote:as at the end of the day, it's a movie about a Saiyan with a tail. at this point there's nothing more you can do with that except move merchandise
Because, as we know, the villain being a saiyan and having a tail means... Nothing interesting can be done? Who's the one lacking in ideas here?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:55 am

Kanassa wrote:Because, as we know, the villain being a saiyan and having a tail means... Nothing interesting can be done? Who's the one lacking in ideas here?
Nothing as interesting as having a new concept introduced. The Saiyans have been milked to death at this point so I was hoping we'd get something new for DB's 20th movie and the near 4 year wait between it and RF. I don't see how I'm the one lacking in ideas when I'm the one pushing for new ones.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:09 am

Kanassa wrote:
sintzu wrote:as at the end of the day, it's a movie about a Saiyan with a tail. at this point there's nothing more you can do with that except move merchandise
Because, as we know, the villain being a saiyan and having a tail means... Nothing interesting can be done? Who's the one lacking in ideas here?
All you will get is a new form at most which isn't interesting.

New unique characters and races will be better.

Of course something from an old race I would accept is some sort of Namekian God from from the Namekian Book of Legends.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:12 am

sintzu wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Because, as we know, the villain being a saiyan and having a tail means... Nothing interesting can be done? Who's the one lacking in ideas here?
Nothing as interesting as having a new concept introduced. The Saiyans have been milked to death at this point so I was hoping we'd get something new for DB's 20th movie and the near 4 year wait between it and RF. I don't see how I'm the one lacking in ideas when I'm the one pushing for new ones.
Well then what ideas you got? Because at this points we have seen all the new concepts so what else is there?

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:24 am

Hawk9211 wrote:Combating thousand combatants when either piccolo or gohan should have been able to be done with them in one shot isn't forced?
I think Piccolo or Gohan taking out an army in one blast would have made for a boring sequence in a martial arts action film.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:39 am

sintzu wrote:I don't see how I'm the one lacking in ideas when I'm the one pushing for new ones.
You're lacking in ideas because you're saying nothing interesting can be done with a character who's a Saiyan. Instantly going "Welp, this cna't be good cus Saiyans there" is a terrible way to look at it
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:45 am

Kanassa wrote:You're saying nothing interesting can be done with a character who's a Saiyan. Instantly going "Welp, this cna't be good cus Saiyans there" is a terrible way to look at it
All I'm saying is that a new concept will be more interesting to see as it will change things up within the lore. We just got a movie with Freeza, there's no need to directly follow that up with a Saiyan movie. Had we gotten another movie or 2 with new concepts then I wouldn't be as against the idea of a Saiyan movie as I am now.

I'm of course going to give it a fair chance as I hope and want it to be good.
Toxin45 wrote:Well then what ideas you got? Because at this points we have seen all the new concepts so what else is there?
We've got 12 entire universes to see, the possibilities are limitless. I'm not completely against old concepts being revisited but not when it's always happening and in a row like the movies seem to be doing. First we got a movie centered around Freeza and now the Saiyans. How much you want to bet we'll get an android movie next.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:03 pm

Bullza wrote:
That's not forced and I wouldn't say shallow as revenge plots are common. We know that Frieza could be revived and we know that he would still want revenge so it wasn't forced at all just unoriginal and repetitive at worst.. An all powerful God of Destruction who had never been mentioned who just happened to be asleep the whole time through Dragon Ball and just happened to remember a Super Saiyan God from a dream, yeah that's a bit forced.

All the action kicked off appropriately. In Battle of Gods, Beerus just shows up, gets mad because he didn't get any pudding then decided he wants to blow up the planet for it. That's creating something out of nothing, a gag.
By what criteria revenge plots are not shallow by default ?
Yeah,freeza can revived and he would want revenge that doesn't sound shallow when we already seen it?
Wanting to destroy the planet for pudding is not forced,it's in character for beerus which we have seen him do in movie earlier.

Maybe but then that wouldn't be entertaining at all. They also weren't aiming to kill them anyway so wouldn't have just created one massive explosion and nuked them.
Or you know they could left out some characters or matched the nerd and green daddy with appropriate characters?

Tagoma's was forced. Shisami in the movie was confusing because they never said he had a huge power jump. Frieza....not particularly, they needed to do something to power up or there would have been no movie to tell in the first place. The way they did it was pretty clever too, if he's naturally got a power level of 120 million and never even trained then yeah it's believable he'd skyrocket as he did.
Pretty clever?When was it mentioned in manga or anime that freeze has not trained a single day in his life?Even the mutant thing was mentioned around the time of film's release.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:04 pm

Kuwabara wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:Combating thousand combatants when either piccolo or gohan should have been able to be done with them in one shot isn't forced?
I think Piccolo or Gohan taking out an army in one blast would have made for a boring sequence in a martial arts action film.
Check my reply to fortunessj.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:48 am

We have had Goku Black and Kefla as major antogonists in the last two arcs. I wouldn't mind an opening fight with the new Saiyan. But wouldn't it be somehow more original the final villain would be someone different, someone all the Saiyans will team up against to defeat?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:19 am

Mister_Popo wrote:We have had Goku Black and Kefla as major antogonists in the last two arcs. I wouldn't mind an opening fight with the new Saiyan. But wouldn't it be somehow more original the final villain would be someone different, someone all the Saiyans will team up against to defeat?
Kefla wasn’t really anymore of an antagonist then Toppo and anyone other then Jiren. We only fought her for 2 episodes and we knew Goku would win somehow because he had to rematch Jiren. So i wouldn’t call her a major antagonist. Jiren would be the major antagonist.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:04 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:We have had Goku Black and Kefla as major antogonists in the last two arcs. I wouldn't mind an opening fight with the new Saiyan. But wouldn't it be somehow more original the final villain would be someone different, someone all the Saiyans will team up against to defeat?
Kefla wasn’t really anymore of an antagonist then Toppo and anyone other then Jiren. We only fought her for 2 episodes and we knew Goku would win somehow because he had to rematch Jiren. So i wouldn’t call her a major antagonist. Jiren would be the major antagonist.
The battle against Kale and Caulifla lasted 5 episodes in total, resulting in Goku going Omen. I would place Caulifla / Kale as second on the ranking of major Unversal Tournament antagonists after Jiren. Fused they were stronger than Toppo and they got more screentime too. It was an arc within the arc. That wasn't my main point. A final villain other than a Saiyan would be refreshing in my opinion.

But if they play it right and the Saiyan as final villain goes Oozaru for instance, it could be original as well. That's something different we haven't seen in a long time. An evil Saiyan who just has a different aura would be rather dissapointing as major antagonist because we had that concept twice before now in recent arcs. All depends how they'll play and portray it.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:08 am

sintzu wrote:
Kanassa wrote:You're saying nothing interesting can be done with a character who's a Saiyan. Instantly going "Welp, this cna't be good cus Saiyans there" is a terrible way to look at it
All I'm saying is that a new concept will be more interesting to see as it will change things up within the lore. We just got a movie with Freeza, there's no need to directly follow that up with a Saiyan movie. Had we gotten another movie or 2 with new concepts then I wouldn't be as against the idea of a Saiyan movie as I am now.

I'm of course going to give it a fair chance as I hope and want it to be good.
Toxin45 wrote:Well then what ideas you got? Because at this points we have seen all the new concepts so what else is there?
We've got 12 entire universes to see, the possibilities are limitless. I'm not completely against old concepts being revisited but not when it's always happening and in a row like the movies seem to be doing. First we got a movie centered around Freeza and now the Saiyans. How much you want to bet we'll get an android movie next.
Don't think will see all the universes just universe 6 and 11
Last edited by Toxin45 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.