Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:17 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: I’m also surprised that nobody has commented about the horrible animation in the movie trailer (perhaps I missed it).
Would you like to elaborate on why you think that?

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:14 pm

I wonder how long the wait will be between Japan and America releases of the movie?

Battle of Gods was released more than a year later in America after it's release in Japan. Resurrection F was a lot faster when coming to America with it being only a few months after Japan's release.

I really hope it wont be a very long wait like it was for Dragon Ball Super being dubbed.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:07 pm

One thing I'm rather curious about is how this movie will handle tension. As much as I like Beerus and Whis its hard to have any tension with those two around. As well as that Goku has UI now and even if he gets close to being beaten that form can pop up and destroy the villain. So when the movie comes out I'm interested to see how this issue is handled.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:32 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:One thing I'm rather curious about is how this movie will handle tension. As much as I like Beerus and Whis its hard to have any tension with those two around. As well as that Goku has UI now and even if he gets close to being beaten that form can pop up and destroy the villain. So when the movie comes out I'm interested to see how this issue is handled.
I am 99% certain that that's going to happen in the climax of the film. Similar to how 4th Gear was a new thing before One Piece Film Gold, that form was what defeated the villain of that movie. I feel like the same thing will happen here and I'm okay with it. Just imagine UI coming out of nowhere while you're watching the movie in a packed theatre. The audience would go nuts. Not to mention that the animation would look fantastic.

I think the movie can still handle tension with Beerus and Whis around. The Future Trunks arc still managed to do that with those characters having a role in the story. I'm hoping for another divine antagonist like Zamasu and Beerus.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:59 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:One thing I'm rather curious about is how this movie will handle tension. As much as I like Beerus and Whis its hard to have any tension with those two around. As well as that Goku has UI now and even if he gets close to being beaten that form can pop up and destroy the villain. So when the movie comes out I'm interested to see how this issue is handled.
I am 99% certain that that's going to happen in the climax of the film. Similar to how 4th Gear was a new thing before One Piece Film Gold, that form was what defeated the villain of that movie. I feel like the same thing will happen here and I'm okay with it. Just imagine UI coming out of nowhere while you're watching the movie in a packed theatre. The audience would go nuts. Not to mention that the animation would look fantastic.

I think the movie can still handle tension with Beerus and Whis around. The Future Trunks arc still managed to do that with those characters having a role in the story. I'm hoping for another divine antagonist like Zamasu and Beerus.
That probably will end up happening since I can't see the form showing up early on in the movie. Unless Goku gets another new transformation that replaces UI but I'm doubtful that will happen. And even though I think UI will negate some of the tension in the movie I still want it to show up. Seeing that form with the new art style change and animation would be so damn good, and I agree with ya on your point second. A part of me hopes that the saiyan we saw in the teaser is a red herring and we get something else as villain, like a divine being as you mentioned. But I won't be shocked if it is a saiyan and if that is the case I hope he is as the very least unique.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:06 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:I mean, this is the Super-section of this board. If you really don't acknowledge or appreciate it all, why even bother to come here? If you have some fundament
Is my criticism not allowed on Kanzenshuu or anywhere else for that matter? This is a forum and I’m expressing my opinion about a topic, right? If you don’t like what I have to say, ignore it and look somewhere else. Had I known this was a “feels good” thread, I probably wouldn’t have said anything at all! :roll:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
Not only Akira Toriyama did not state that Dragon Ball Super is "canon" (*sigh* this is a noun, after verb to be it is expected an adjective, never a noun), Akira Toriyama also never stated, or better yet, never established an official canon. Therefore, what is canonical and what is not is merely one's opinion.

Also, it is better to drop these antagonistic posts. That goes to everyone who replied AnimeMaakuo's first post stating his opinion as well.
No. Its not up to Toriyama to decide. There are set definitions for what and what not can be classified as canon. DBGT doesn’t fit the spot but dbs does. This shouldn’t even be an argument anymore.
It appears other people disagree with you and there’s nothing that will change that. Have a nice day. :thumbup:
One the contrary. Anyway, i dont need agreement. What i said was a fact and you can’t change that. You thinking that DB has no canon is just your own headcanon. I’m ok with headcanons but just dont forget that they’re only in your head and are not official.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:16 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:One thing I'm rather curious about is how this movie will handle tension.
There will be no tension until they finally start making new content after EoZ, we all know that.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:31 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:One thing I'm rather curious about is how this movie will handle tension.
There will be no tension until they finally start making new content after EoZ, we all know that.
Just because it's set during a time skip, doesn't mean that it's not capable of creating tension. Creating intense situations all comes down to writing, presentation and direction. You can make your audience feel tension even if they're well aware that the characters will be alright in the end because of already established/future material. A movie that I watched very recently was able to do this.

Neither of us have seen this new DBS movie yet, so we can't be too quick to judge. Hell, we know next to nothing about the plot.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:47 pm

I'd rather Beerus or Whis not be involved in the central plot of the movie at all, honestly.

I'm sure Goku and Vegeta will be on Beerus's planet training with Whis and we can see them there to interact a bit, but I don't want them just hanging out with the crew during the film just demanding food and Beerus threatening to Hakai someone for laughs like they do in...basically every appearance of Super.

I never feel like they make the situation tensionless, but I feel they take and hog a lot of screentime from the rest of the crew and in the end contribute basically nothing.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:33 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Just because it's set during a time skip, doesn't mean that it's not capable of creating tension. Creating intense situations all comes down to writing, presentation and direction. You can make your audience feel tension even if they're well aware that the characters will be alright in the end because of already established/future material. A movie that I watched very recently was able to do this.

Neither of us have seen this new DBS movie yet, so we can't be too quick to judge. Hell, we know next to nothing about the plot.
And even with the time-skip to take into consideration, a lot of fans seem to ignore that the cast have three sets of wish granting Macguffins, at their easily obtainable disposal, that can negate any kind of consequence brought upon the cast.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:38 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote: I’m also surprised that nobody has commented about the horrible animation in the movie trailer (perhaps I missed it).
Bad opinion alert
In your opinion, you don’t like my opinion? That’s OK. :thumbup:
No, seriously, saying that the animation of the trailer is horrible is downright wrong. You may not like the art, and that's totally fine, see, THAT is a valid opinion. But the animation itself, was better than what we got in all of Z. There's a reason if top animators such as Shida and Takahashi have praised the new designs and style. You can't possibly make the argument that it's subjective when people with years and years of exlerience in that field have said nothing but good things about it. Or, if you meant to say artstyle instead of anination, it's still your mistake, and it proves that you're a bit misinformed about what you 're talking about. So, no , what you said is not wrong in my opinion, it's kinda objectively wrong pal.
Get Fucked, C_unt

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:17 am

Lord Beerus wrote: And even with the time-skip to take into consideration, a lot of fans seem to ignore that the cast have three sets of wish granting Macguffins, at their easily obtainable disposal, that can negate any kind of consequence brought upon the cast.
They are not MacGuffins, they are objects that are used more or less frequently to influence the outcome of the story, please stop using that phrase improperly.
A MacGuffin (a.k.a. McGuffin or maguffin) is a term for a motivating element in a story that is used to drive the plot. It serves no further purpose. It won't pop up again later, it won't explain the ending, it won't do anything except possibly distract you while you try to figure out its significance. In some cases, it won't even be shown. It is usually a mysterious package/artifact/superweapon that everyone in the story is chasing.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MacGuffin
Maybe they are in the first storyarc, where Oolong asks for panties, but then they used for things that directly affects on the story.
What you are looking for is "plot device":
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlotDevice
But then, in many cases they don't even drive the plot.

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:18 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote: Bad opinion alert
In your opinion, you don’t like my opinion? That’s OK. :thumbup:
No, seriously, saying that the animation of the trailer is horrible is downright wrong. You may not like the art, and that's totally fine, see, THAT is a valid opinion. But the animation itself, was better than what we got in all of Z. There's a reason if top animators such as Shida and Takahashi have praised the new designs and style. You can't possibly make the argument that it's subjective when people with years and years of exlerience in that field have said nothing but good things about it. Or, if you meant to say artstyle instead of anination, it's still your mistake, and it proves that you're a bit misinformed about what you 're talking about. So, no , what you said is not wrong in my opinion, it's kinda objectively wrong pal.
You make no sense. You don't know what objectively means do you?

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:24 am

SirTorra wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote: In your opinion, you don’t like my opinion? That’s OK. :thumbup:
I'm starting believe people throw words like subjective and objective as a last resort of defending their argument..

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:42 am

SirTorra wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote: No, seriously, saying that the animation of the trailer is horrible is downright wrong. You may not like the art, and that's totally fine, see, THAT is a valid opinion. But the animation itself, was better than what we got in all of Z. There's a reason if top animators such as Shida and Takahashi have praised the new designs and style. You can't possibly make the argument that it's subjective when people with years and years of exlerience in that field have said nothing but good things about it. Or, if you meant to say artstyle instead of anination, it's still your mistake, and it proves that you're a bit misinformed about what you 're talking about. So, no , what you said is not wrong in my opinion, it's kinda objectively wrong pal.
I make perfect sense dude. Artstyle and animation are two different things, you can like or dislike a certain style, so therefore art is subjective. Animation (the characters movements) on the other hand, is a different thing. You can't decide that animation is shitty just because you don't like the drawing style. I though everybody watched Ajay's videos here. Apparently I was wrong. For example, take Tate's animation: the drawing style is not very popular among the fans, but the animation quality is objectively good, and you absolutely can't argue with that. It's not something you can judge on preference, the characters movements are either fluid (like the movie trailer) or stiff and shitty. But everybody shits on "anination" just because they don't like the art.

Exline wrote: I'm starting believe people throw words like subjective and objective as a last resort of defending their argument..
If we're talking about throwing random words, then you really shouldn't have used "last resort" because I can't really use my last desperate resort in the first post of an argument now, can I? Besides, I don't really need last resorts when I know I'm right.
Get Fucked, C_unt

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:53 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
SirTorra wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote: No, seriously, saying that the animation of the trailer is horrible is downright wrong. You may not like the art, and that's totally fine, see, THAT is a valid opinion. But the animation itself, was better than what we got in all of Z. There's a reason if top animators such as Shida and Takahashi have praised the new designs and style. You can't possibly make the argument that it's subjective when people with years and years of exlerience in that field have said nothing but good things about it. Or, if you meant to say artstyle instead of anination, it's still your mistake, and it proves that you're a bit misinformed about what you 're talking about. So, no , what you said is not wrong in my opinion, it's kinda objectively wrong pal.
I make perfect sense dude. Artstyle and animation are two different things, you can like or dislike a certain style, so therefore art is subjective. Animation (the characters movements) on the other hand, is a different thing. You can't decide that animation is shitty just because you don't like the drawing style. I though everybody watched Ajay's videos here. Apparently I was wrong. For example, take Tate's animation: the drawing style is not very popular among the fans, but the animation quality is objectively good, and you absolutely can't argue with that. It's not something you can judge on preference, the characters movements are either fluid (like the movie trailer) or stiff and shitty. But everybody shits on "anination" just because they don't like the art.

Exline wrote: I'm starting believe people throw words like subjective and objective as a last resort of defending their argument..
If we're talking about throwing random words, then you really shouldn't have used "last resort" because I can't really use my last desperate resort in the first post of an argument now, can I? Besides, I don't really need last resorts when I know I'm right.
For reference guys, I think saying something is technically good, especially when referring to stuff like animation, is not only far more accurate, but also lacks, the more pushy negative connotations of the word objective, which I feel is a very over-used in these types of discussion.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:55 am

JazzMazz wrote: For reference guys, I think saying something is technically good, especially when referring to stuff like animation, is not only far more accurate, but also lacks, the more pushy negative connotations of the word objective, which I feel is a very over-used in these types of discussion.
Yeah, everyone seems to get triggered badly when that word is used. I'll use some other terms next time I guess
Get Fucked, C_unt

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:34 pm

Animation is good, yes, but it's to be expected with how much more simple the art style has become for the movie...and the fact that it's a movie, so it has much higher production value lol

I'm hoping that when there's new trailers for the movie and it has actual scenes instead of the little teaser, maybe the style will grow on me from being exposed to it more. Right now though I just can't get into it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:48 pm

A new interview was posted and Herms is currently tweeting a translation here. After learning about the story being about the history of the Saiyans and Freeza--along with the poster featuring Gokuu in his old dougi--I was positive that were would get scenes set in the past and that has now been confirmed. I'm thinking that we'll have major scenes from the Saiyan arc and Namek arc re-animated and the Gokuu on the post is just meant to be Saiyan arc Gokuu. With Toriyama having devised twenty new character design sheets I'm tempted to think that most of those are just new outfits for the old characters. At the most those new characters will just be background characters or fodder for the other Dragon Team members to battle. Nevertheless, I'm extremely excited.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:54 pm

Even though it would probably look really nice, I wouldn't want to see reanimated chunks from Z because it'd feel like they'd be wasting precious time and resources when they could be doing new plot and new battle stuff instead. I'm also curious about the rejected proposals for movies though we'll probably never find out what they were.

I give them credit for wanting to do something multilayered and the idea that we're getting multiple new settings makes me hopeful, but unfortunately there's nothing there yet to suggest anything about the plot that makes me excited beyond already knowing that Goku's in it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!