Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

majinwarman
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by majinwarman » Fri May 04, 2018 12:32 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:I wonder if the evil Saiyan on DBH has some relation with the supposed Saiyan villain on this movie.
I do think that the SDBH saiyan is either a saiyan bioengineered by Fu himself or is a saiyan from U7 Planet Sadala of the past. What i would like is if during the probable flashback to Planet Sadala when Yamoshi and the good saiyans fight the evil saiyans, we see cameos of the saiyan from SDBH and Shallot for DBL.
I don't think that they use video game characters for this movie at all.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 04, 2018 12:49 pm

majinwarman wrote:I don't think that they use video game characters for this movie at all.
They wouldn't be that wise for that.

mahakaishin1991
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:37 pm

majinwarman wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:I wonder if the evil Saiyan on DBH has some relation with the supposed Saiyan villain on this movie.
I do think that the SDBH saiyan is either a saiyan bioengineered by Fu himself or is a saiyan from U7 Planet Sadala of the past. What i would like is if during the probable flashback to Planet Sadala when Yamoshi and the good saiyans fight the evil saiyans, we see cameos of the saiyan from SDBH and Shallot for DBL.
I don't think that they use video game characters for this movie at all.
I remember when everyone was claiming this guy, Shallot and the new movie saiyan are all one and the same, despite different hair and other things. I doubt theyd spoil the movie character in either game.

If this masked one is going to be any kind of preexisting saiyan, he might be some kind of Xeno Raditz, but thats a bit of a stretch as the Xeno characters dont tend to change the hair of their characters much if at all.

As a Raditz fan, Id be down for it, but I dont think its him

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 05, 2018 3:09 am

Grimlock wrote:
majinwarman wrote:I don't think that they use video game characters for this movie at all.
MUI Goku was shown in XV2 and heroes before we saw him in the anime so don't be surprised if that is him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 05, 2018 7:26 am

That is completely different from using a character that debuted in video-game. Ultra Instinct, despite appearing in games before the anime, was never a transformation meant for games.

I will be surprised if they use video-game character because, as I said, I don't expect them to be that clever.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat May 05, 2018 8:01 am

sintzu wrote: MUI Goku was shown in XV2 and heroes before we saw him in the anime so don't be surprised if that is him.
Episodes take weeks/months to be animated, MUI was likely already created months in advance before it debuted in the games.
Fandom is The Worst Thing to Have Happened to Pop Culture.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 05, 2018 8:14 am

Grimlock wrote:That is completely different from using a character that debuted in video-game. Ultra Instinct, despite appearing in games before the anime, was never a transformation meant for games.

I will be surprised if they use video-game character because, as I said, I don't expect them to be that clever.
Why wouldn't this be the same thing ? he'll still be for the movie but shown or at least teased in the games first.

Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 05, 2018 8:45 am

Because, again, Ultra Instinct was not created for games, it was created for the "main series". It's not the same thing as Kaioshin of Time, Time Patroller Trunks and etc, they were created for Dragon Ball Online and unfortunately they remain there until these days, I don't see them in the anime. Being teased/first shown in games is actually quite irrelevant and it only means that the marketing was faster than their debut in the series.

There is a huge difference, I'm also surprised that you can't see it.

majinwarman
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat May 05, 2018 5:33 pm

Grimlock wrote:
I agree with you.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by TheOne » Sun May 06, 2018 9:17 am

Did they ever say when we could expect new content about the movie?
How i predict the tournament will end:

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun May 06, 2018 10:58 am

TheOne wrote:Did they ever say when we could expect new content about the movie?
I don't think so from what I remember
My interpretation of the Dragon Ball Canon

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 06, 2018 11:05 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
TheOne wrote:Did they ever say when we could expect new content about the movie?
I don't think so from what I remember
We probably won't get anything till July.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun May 06, 2018 9:25 pm

Unrelated to this movie but something that takes me back to when I spoke to another about the story for these movies and how BoG compares to RoF.

I couldn't remember how long it was at the time, but watching BoG right now there's actually about 20 minutes of pointless filler in the middle. Everything from 35 minutes in to about 55 minutes is just a bunch of unrelated nonsense that adds nothing to the overall main plot.

When the movie is only 100 minutes as it is then 20% of it being filler is pretty problematic and that doesn't include things like the opening recap either.

That's a problem that Resurrection F didn't have and if they're smart then this movie won't waste time for nothing.

Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 06, 2018 10:20 pm

Movie 1 cannot waste time, not even its theme allows it. We're delving more into the lore of Saiyans, a look back into it, we can't have Bardock and Gine talking about moving to a bigger house because Goku is about to be born, there is no room for Saiyans' "slice of life" moments here. Universe 7's Saiyans itself requires a more serious tone too, at least at that I'm confident Toriyama won't make mistake even though he has always said that "light-hearted stories is all I am about".

JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 06, 2018 10:44 pm

I will be sad if there is little in the way of character-heavy scenes. I enjoy seeing the characters dick around in non-combat scenes. I really hope we get to see Gokuu and the new Saiyan character interact as friends for a portion of the film. Gokuu really needs a hobby outside of fighting, so maybe somebody will remember that he takes Gohan fishing?
She/Her | ♥♥♥

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:13 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I will be sad if there is little in the way of character-heavy scenes. I enjoy seeing the characters dick around in non-combat scenes. I really hope we get to see Gokuu and the new Saiyan character interact as friends for a portion of the film. Gokuu really needs a hobby outside of fighting, so maybe somebody will remember that he takes Gohan fishing?
Well, its summon that in every canon story, atleast one of the newly introduced characters ends up becoming a main-stay or part of the main cast. Maybe Yamoshi (if he’s in the movie) will or some other ancient saiyan will become part of the main cast.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun May 06, 2018 11:20 pm

Resurrection "F"'s biggest issue is that 90% of it is basically two big fights, and the only thing that saves it from that narrative standpoint is the character interactions inserted during them. Otherwise it's fairly boring and drags the pacing down quite a bit in the sense that it feels like the movie is way longer than what the events happening really are.

I'd gladly take something closer the Battle of Gods structure (not necessarily a party, just the downtime). Because despite the fact that nothing significant is occurring during the majority of the film, the extended edition never once feels like it's dragging its feet. The film feels like it's over almost as soon as it starts because of how easily it is to be immersed during the viewing.

If the Super movie is more akin to Resurrection "F" than Battle of Gods, it probably won't be very high up on my list of favorites, no matter what kind of lore it introduces. Which is a shame, because I love lore.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Grimlock » Mon May 07, 2018 12:27 am

I think I must clarify that it's likely that the only portion of the movie I will mostly care about is the past of the Saiyans. If the main cast get their own "slice of life" scenes I won't care at all, it's certainly better if they do, I enjoy it as long as it doesn't consume a huge amount of time of the movie. First the responsibilities and duties, which is showing and explaining stuff about Saiyans, focusing on the past, then we get to "relax" at a later portion the movie.

JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 07, 2018 12:52 am

I don't really think the issue had anything to do with the extended fighting sequences in Fukkatsu no F, but I did enjoy the character scenes a lot. I think having a better director would've definitely helped structure the film in a way that felt more balanced in terms of flow between fighting and dialogue-heavy scenes.
She/Her | ♥♥♥

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon May 07, 2018 1:11 am

If the movie was nothing but action then it wouldn't be so great either. Some of the best parts of the series are when they're not really doing anything in particular, just chilling on Roshi's island. Those kind of scenes should be at the start of the movie though.

Battle of Gods was a movie where they had a beginning and an end and then had no plot at all for the middle of the movie which is why it was just a completely separate subplot that added nothing to the main plot and was just padding and a complete waste of time. That 20 minutes instead of pointless antics should have gone to developing the paper thin main plot and having some more action with the other characters.

A main character like Vegeta had about a single minute of fighting in the whole movie with other main characters like Gohan and Piccolo, just a handful of seconds.