Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:50 pm

I swear if I had the money I would be in Japan on December 14th.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
Basaku
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:00 pm
Location: Planet of the Apes

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Basaku » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:51 pm

BrolyKale wrote:I like how the haters are all moaning and say that they will stop watching dragon ball super but continue watching it and are always here to get new info... or when they are saying that Broly can't be an interesting character because they don't like the movies... seriously bruh.
Well you can't really blame people for having a hard time guessing whether Broly can be an interesting because the original has no character whatsoever so it's tricky to gauge based on nothing :shifty:
Last edited by Basaku on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6625
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:51 pm

Dragono wrote:The point was heroes brings folks all the time back from the grave. People hate this idea on principle of that alone. Yet you praise heroes for that very fact.
Yes, Heroes knows which characters from the past to use again (besides the ones that don't need to be brought back). And be certain when I say that Freeza and that random character from a movie are not the ones that need to be brought back, much less spending time, money and effort in a movie.

I praise Heroes for giving past and (and that they're cool) characters their chance to shine and to get something, and again, Freeza is not one of them. That's the difference.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1911
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:51 pm

When you think DBS can't get any worse.

Broly is coming.

Image
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6681
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Why's the animation thread still locked?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Basaku wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:I like how the haters are all moaning and say that they will stop watching dragon ball super but continue watching it and are always here to get new info... or when they are saying that Broly can't be an interesting character because they don't like the movies... seriously bruh.
Well you can't really blame people for having a hard time to guess whether Broly can be an interesting because the original has no character whatsoever so it's tricky to gauge based on nothing :shifty:
He does. The first movie is pretty interesting, in the second coming he just loses his mind because he got nearly killed... and the last one is just a clone. He is not that bad, certainly not the first movie. And Toriyama rewatched the movies and actually found something interesting about the character and upgraded him and added a new side to his character... what else do you guys want?
Last edited by BrolyKale on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Dragono
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Dragono » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:53 pm

Yuli Ban wrote:The meltdowns have been beautiful. Dare I say it.... legendary!
You're enjoying this aren't you.

Me, I'm on a wait and see approach. I shitted hard on freeza coming back for the top and he was a delight. I shitted hard on Black being an evil Goku and he was a delight. I shitted hard on roshi in the tournament and he was a delight.


Broly is arguable the most popular movie villain on par with beerus and is the reason we have female saiyans at all. Money is there to be made and his story was not all that good so its not like we are pulling a minus here. Toriyama literally can't make broly worse unlike with bardock who he literally couldn't make better.



During super, people would overreact over news all the time and it resulted in several people looking stupid. I hope those same people learned their mistake.

Zephyr
I Live Here
Posts: 3596
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Grimlock wrote:So? Giving forms to Broly is part of the what-if concept that Heroes works upon. Heroes also gives other characters their shine moment, they also focus on other and more interesting characters.

Coming here and posting random images aren't giving you any good counterpoint at all.
You're praising these games for their repetitive shameless zero-substance fanservice, while complaining about the main story's repetitiveness and shameless fanservice (Freeza, Trunks, Vegetto, and now Broly), and in the same breath complaining that the main series isn't following the example set by these games.
Xeogran wrote:But SS3 Broly is from Raging Blast not Heroes..
Which is a video game.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Dragono » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:55 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Dragono wrote:The point was heroes brings folks all the time back from the grave. People hate this idea on principle of that alone. Yet you praise heroes for that very fact.
Yes, Heroes knows which characters from the past to use again (besides the ones that don't need to be brought back). And be certain when I say that Freeza and that random character from a movie are not the ones that need to be brought back, much less spending time, money and effort in a movie.

I praise Heroes for giving past and (and that they're cool) characters their chance to shine and to get something, and again, Freeza is not one of them. That's the difference.
The fact that people are freaking out without even reading the synopis of the damn film should tell you, its about how they are used, its that they are coming back at all.


What don't you get, that its not the execution many are mad about, its the idea.

User avatar
dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13036
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:56 pm

BrolyKale wrote:I like how the haters are all moaning and say that they will stop watching dragon ball super but continue watching it and are always here to get new info... or when they are saying that Broly can't be an interesting character because they don't like the movies... seriously bruh.
Oh man I can finally use this XD

"Don't complain guys and gals, you don't know if it's good or not yet. You didn't see it yet."

*Then the trailers leak*

"It's just a trailer ya gotta see the whole move first before complaining. It can be good."

*Then the movie leaks.*

"You still haven't seen the movie yet, it could be good in motion or on screen.

*Movie is out everyone has seen it*

"Fans can never be satisfied by anything."

It's the Dragon Ball Cycle oh no XD. Except this time I am on the Broly Hype train toot toot.

The Battle of Gods/F/Super threads in a nutshell.
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:56 pm

I just want to see Paragus again. He was the best movie villain by far.

User avatar
Basaku
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:00 pm
Location: Planet of the Apes

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Basaku » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
Basaku wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:I like how the haters are all moaning and say that they will stop watching dragon ball super but continue watching it and are always here to get new info... or when they are saying that Broly can't be an interesting character because they don't like the movies... seriously bruh.
Well you can't really blame people for having a hard time to guess whether Broly can be an interesting because the original has no character whatsoever so it's tricky to gauge based on nothing :shifty:
He does. The first movie is pretty interesting, in the second coming he just loses his mind because he got nearly killed... and the last one is just a clone. He is not that bad, certainly not the first movie. And Toriyama rewatched the movies and found something interesting about the character and upgraded him... what else do you guys want?
You could replace Broly with a really strong piece of ham and the movies would remain the same. He doesn't have a character. There's some setup for his backstory and his father was an enjoyable part of the movie but Broly himself? Nothing but braindead muscules. There's nothing to argue here. Toriyama is practically working with a blank slate and can take Broly's persona into any direction

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Shaddy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 pm

I've thought for years that Broly represents everything wrong with Dragon Ball in terms of muscles, power levels, screaming and violence. He has no personality, a ridiculous over-the-top design, and is written with all the finesse of a small dog yipping at the door when cars go by. He's boring, and carried entirely by his fights and design, which is the opposite of what's good in this series, where characters should have great personalities that complement Toriyama's excellent designs and fights. Toriyama does stupid stuff sometimes, even a lot, but he's not one to write a character the way Broly has been written for all three of his stupid movies. Basically anything done to Broly will be an improvement to the guy, and my main worry simply is that he won't do enough.

Consider me cautiously optimistic. If it's a completely fresh take on the character with actual charm, this could be the best thing Super's ever gotten and maybe even the best DB movie ever. If not, it'll be the best-looking Dragon Ball film with a completely dumb and superfluous plot until Super's inevitable TV revival happens.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:01 pm
Location: The End of Time

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 pm

Doctor. wrote:I just want to see Paragus again. He was the best movie villain by far.
I'm more interested in seeing all the crazy MADs the Japanese fans create based on this movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BooqklaNE54
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6625
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:59 pm

Zephyr wrote:You're praising these games for their repetitive shameless fanservice, while complaining about the main story's repetitiveness and shameless fanservice (Freeza, Trunks, Vegetto, and now Broly), and in the same breath complaining that the main series isn't following the example set by these games.
No, firstly because you say as if everything games do are just bringing back crap characters. FighterZ brought a new character, Heroes is presenting a more interesting plot with also a more interesting character and Xenoverse, although we're in at its second installment, their plot is still more interesting than reusing a shit movie character for a fourth time.

I would want an original plot for a 2018 movie, but if they unfortunately want to use someone from the past, then pick someone interesting. Not only it's not a original plot, the character from the past couldn't be any worse. So yeah, the movie has nothing going on for it, it's even more terrible than Movie 15, which I didn't like since it was announced it was Freeza returning. So please, try to understand better what's going on here.
Last edited by Grimlock on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Alruneia
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1832
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Alruneia » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:59 pm

Well hello there, Broly, nice to see you yet again. :lol:
I've been sitting here with this grin ever since I saw the leaked poster. (I was going "please be real" before it was officially confirmed, too.) Because while I get why people are concerned about this choice, I'm personally really excited. Mostly for the memes (bless Broly MADs), but there's also some genuine excitement. This is Toriyama "rebooting" Broly, so what we have is an opportunity to see him done right.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 73 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link (Ooh, Part 6 anime confirmed. Anyway, currently on hiatus.)
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:00 pm

Basaku wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
Basaku wrote: Well you can't really blame people for having a hard time to guess whether Broly can be an interesting because the original has no character whatsoever so it's tricky to gauge based on nothing :shifty:
He does. The first movie is pretty interesting, in the second coming he just loses his mind because he got nearly killed... and the last one is just a clone. He is not that bad, certainly not the first movie. And Toriyama rewatched the movies and found something interesting about the character and upgraded him... what else do you guys want?
You could replace Broly with a really strong piece of ham and the movies would remain the same. He doesn't have a character. There's some setup for his backstory and his father was an enjoyable part of the movie but Broly himself? Nothing but braindead muscules. There's nothing to argue here. Toriyama is practically working with a blank slate and can take Broly's persona into any direction
But Toriyama accepted to make a new movie about Broly, so deal with it man. Another character, another character blablabla... this new Broly is also a new character so try to enjoy it.

Broly does have a personality in the first movie, watch it again when he tranforms into the LSSJ.
Last edited by BrolyKale on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:00 pm

If Broly is the beat idea they can come up with for the first Dragon Ball Super movie, what is coming after this?

I doubt there is any minions for others to fight now which is a bit crap.

I doubt Broly will be that different and finding out the history to him and how he ends up fighting with Goku and Vegeta doesn't really sound that interesting.

User avatar
nato25
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1333
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by nato25 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:01 pm

RedHeat wrote:
nato25 wrote:Ah so the guy in the back is not Broly?! It does look like his base form but yeah Broly doesn't have scars.
It's Broly, but retooled and rebooted. As-per Toriyama's recent statement posted a page back.
Damn that is interesting. I can't say I like redesigns for how they split a series but considering this Broly will most likely be treated as a seperate entity from the old Broly and the old stuff probably will remain 'not canon' I guess I'm cool with it.

Man who saw this coming haha

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:03 pm

So apparently Paragus’s VA is in the staff list
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Post Reply