Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5816
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:32 pm

This is a bizarre decision especially from Toriyama. I don't get it, there is no need for Broly now that we have Kale. It also shows a lack of new material interest in that we're getting yet another old character rehashed.

Disappointing.

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:32 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Well... this explains why the original Broly movie would be appearing in American theatres in September.
Yup, as I said here, everything Toei is doing thus far is for a reason:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:They said the movie would be about the Saiyans, their history, would include Freeza and the main villain is a Saiyan. Then they decide to air only three movies in particular:
*Broly, the Legendary Super Saiyan - The main villain being a Saiyan.
*Bardock, The Father of Goku - The backstory of the Saiyans, including Freeza.
*Fusion Reborn - showcasing and highlighting Gogeta. This may seem like the odd one out, but isn't for this reason: the recent Dragon Ball Heroes anime. It features a SSB Vegetto going up against an evil Saiyan.

The clues were there this whole time. Unless they have something else up their sleeve (they likely will), they've basically just given away the main plot points of this new movie by taking from other movies and media outside the main continuity of Toriyama (hell, the new Broly even has a transformation that's SS4-like with LSS in it too).

So really, the debate that opens up from this will be: are we gonna get Vegetto or Gogeta in this new movie? Or maybe something else?

Personally, I'm not gonna overreact to this one. We've survived the Dragon Ball Super anime, so I think we'll be fine.
Could Ultra Instinct or SSGSSE appear in this film? Find out next time on Dragon Ball Super!

Jokes aside, DB has been reusing content and storylines since GT, perhaps earlier than that. If I've learned anything from Dragon Ball Super, it's that we'll initially be underwhelmed with a lot of things, and then get over it.
Not gonna lie. I had your theory way before this was announced. Everyone said i was wrong. Then, today Terez pinned me. So many folks were salty: https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/8 ... ts_of_the/

Bottom line, i think Gogeta and Bardock as HIGHELY LIKELY
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
miguelnuva1
I Live Here
Posts: 2212
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:32 pm

BrolyKale wrote:Just like Cetra pointed out, Broly from the first movie once he breaks free of his father's control he does have a personality, you can't say he doesn't. He doesn't even keep screaming Kakarotto... so I don't know why you guys say he doesn't have any personality in the first movie when he actually does.
People that don't like Broly for some reason pretend his movie 10 brain damaged version is the only way he acts.

User avatar
Hitiro
I Live Here
Posts: 3433
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Hitiro » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Cetra wrote:If Broly had no personality in movie 8 he would not have had the reactions he had in same movie.
Reactions do not make a personality I'm afraid. Sure your personality can influence how you react in a given situation but they do not define your personality, or lack thereof.
dbzfan7 wrote:I think the only thing that can top this is to have Jar Jar Binks have a huge role in Star Wars Episode 9. Then I might actually watch it after giving up after 8
There's a great reddit post somewhere detailing Jar Jar as the true Sith Lord, it also goes to tie elements of the story into it and it makes for a fascinating read actually.
BrolyKale wrote:"He can destroy galaxies but is alone compared to Goku, whom he despises but has a family, just like Vegeta. When he loses at the end, he realizes that strength is not just physical, he would have been able to unlock another kind of power if he had something to protect for example."

Broly does have a personality and also has an interesting background.
None of this is conveyed in the story. In any context whatsoever. We don't get any dialogue to ascertain these aspects of what you call a personality. If we did then he would have been a better character. When we had Piccolo changing from a bad guy to a good guy we had had dialogue from both himself and Kami. We have had inner dialogue from characters like Vegeta about how he hasn't treated his son right in the Cell saga.

It's bad character design and story telling if you, as the character designer, have to explain how the character was feeling in these moments. Even after Shigeyasu Yamauchi explanation I still don't see the aspects he said Broly was apparently showing in the story.

Nothing is conveyed to us about Broly apart from he's angry at Goku for crying when they were babies which is an illogical scenario because Broly would not know Goku after 30-40 years, he would at most, just be angry at crying children. Baby Trunks would have been a better outlet for this. I could not remember the person, who was once a baby, after all this time and even if i could i would never be able to make the connection that the baby grew up to be someone in front of me.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:34 pm

precita wrote:This is a bizarre decision especially from Toriyama. I don't get it, there is no need for Broly now that we have Kale. It also shows a lack of new material interest in that we're getting yet another old character rehashed.

Disappointing.
There was no need for Freeza when we had Frost and F :lol:

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3061
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:35 pm

Alruneia wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:Broly does have a personality in the first movie, watch it again when he tranforms into the LSSJ.
I think people forget what he was really like in the first movie. Once he breaks out of Paragus' control, he has quite a bit of dialogue and very little of it is "Kakarot." Or if you've ever played Xenoverse 2, he's the same way there.
Absolutely. There wouldn't be any Broly MADs if there were no lines of Broly dialogue to edit, after all! Seriously, though, it's a shame that Broly's been reduced to Flanderised Kakarot-Screaming Man after that first movie.
I can't prove it but I feel like Budokai 3 had a hand in this. It was his first appearance in the modern games, and if you listen to his dialogue in the sound test, you can probably count the lines that are not variants of inarticulate angry screaming or KAKAROT on one hand.

User avatar
Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Brettjr25 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:35 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Well... this explains why the original Broly movie would be appearing in American theatres in September.
Yup, as I said here, everything Toei is doing thus far is for a reason:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:They said the movie would be about the Saiyans, their history, would include Freeza and the main villain is a Saiyan. Then they decide to air only three movies in particular:
*Broly, the Legendary Super Saiyan - The main villain being a Saiyan.
*Bardock, The Father of Goku - The backstory of the Saiyans, including Freeza.
*Fusion Reborn - showcasing and highlighting Gogeta. This may seem like the odd one out, but isn't for this reason: the recent Dragon Ball Heroes anime. It features a SSB Vegetto going up against an evil Saiyan.

The clues were there this whole time. Unless they have something else up their sleeve (they likely will), they've basically just given away the main plot points of this new movie by taking from other movies and media outside the main continuity of Toriyama (hell, the new Broly even has a transformation that's SS4-like with LSS in it too).

So really, the debate that opens up from this will be: are we gonna get Vegetto or Gogeta in this new movie? Or maybe something else?

Personally, I'm not gonna overreact to this one. We've survived the Dragon Ball Super anime, so I think we'll be fine.
Could Ultra Instinct or SSGSSE appear in this film? Find out next time on Dragon Ball Super!

Jokes aside, DB has been reusing content and storylines since GT, perhaps earlier than that. If I've learned anything from Dragon Ball Super, it's that we'll initially be underwhelmed with a lot of things, and then get over it.
Not gonna lie. I had your theory way before this was announced. Everyone said i was wrong. Then, today Terez pinned me. So many folks were salty: https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/8 ... ts_of_the/

Bottom line, i think Gogeta and Bardock as HIGHELY LIKELY
Hyped for the movie but honestly wouldn't want to see Gogeta come back. The cool factor of fusion kind of wore off for me and it just robs me of the chance of seeing Goku and or Vegeta doing cool things or teaming up to accomplish something.

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:35 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:Just like Cetra pointed out, Broly from the first movie once he breaks free of his father's control he does have a personality, you can't say he doesn't. He doesn't even keep screaming Kakarotto... so I don't know why you guys say he doesn't have any personality in the first movie when he actually does.
People that don't like Broly for some reason pretend his movie 10 brain damaged version is the only way he acts.
Well, that's not very clever. Someone who watched the movies would know that Broly only starts acting like that in movie 10 because of the events of movie 8.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

User avatar
jeffbr92
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:36 pm

You guys know that depending of the sucess of this movie we might get a trilogy of Broly movies, who would've think of that? lol
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5816
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:36 pm

Only Goku and Vegeta on the poster also makes it obvious we're going back to the same two characters for the boring route.

I guess all the other main characters won't do any fighting again. So much for Gohan, Piccolo, etc.

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:36 pm

Reactions do not make a personality I'm afraid. Sure your personality can influence how you react in a given situation but they do not define your personality, or lack thereof.
Don't tell me what personality is. I got a degree in psychology before I became a computer scientist. And yes, the reactions Broly has absolutely depend on his personality. That is exactly the point I was making, I never said "reactions make personality. period." and if you would have bothered thinking about it instead of quickly responding you could have concluded that.
Last edited by Cetra on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

superfan2024
Regular
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 pm

What can't you people understand? Toriyama literally stated that he has added a whole new personality to Broly. This is a Broly reboot! This isn't the exact same guy from the 90s. Stop complaining! Sure, these past few years Toriyama has been bringing back a lot of old characters, but I can assure you we won't be getting the exact same "KAKORRROTTTTT" crazed maniac from before. Toriyama is changing him, and if he's also writing the film then it's at least going to be decent. Sure, RoF wasn't his best work, but the movie sure as hell wasn't horrifically terrible. The script for the movie was actually pretty good (i.e. Goku and Freeza talking)! All of you were complaining about Freeza returning last year, but he was one of the best things of the ToP arc. Please have some positivity! Toriyama won't let us down especially for a movie as important as this one!

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Well... this explains why the original Broly movie would be appearing in American theatres in September.
Yup, as I said here, everything Toei is doing thus far is for a reason:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:They said the movie would be about the Saiyans, their history, would include Freeza and the main villain is a Saiyan. Then they decide to air only three movies in particular:
*Broly, the Legendary Super Saiyan - The main villain being a Saiyan.
*Bardock, The Father of Goku - The backstory of the Saiyans, including Freeza.
*Fusion Reborn - showcasing and highlighting Gogeta. This may seem like the odd one out, but isn't for this reason: the recent Dragon Ball Heroes anime. It features a SSB Vegetto going up against an evil Saiyan.

The clues were there this whole time. Unless they have something else up their sleeve (they likely will), they've basically just given away the main plot points of this new movie by taking from other movies and media outside the main continuity of Toriyama (hell, the new Broly even has a transformation that's SS4-like with LSS in it too).

So really, the debate that opens up from this will be: are we gonna get Vegetto or Gogeta in this new movie? Or maybe something else?

Personally, I'm not gonna overreact to this one. We've survived the Dragon Ball Super anime, so I think we'll be fine.
Could Ultra Instinct or SSGSSE appear in this film? Find out next time on Dragon Ball Super!

Jokes aside, DB has been reusing content and storylines since GT, perhaps earlier than that. If I've learned anything from Dragon Ball Super, it's that we'll initially be underwhelmed with a lot of things, and then get over it.
Not gonna lie. I had your theory way before this was announced. Everyone said i was wrong. Then, today Terez pinned me. So many folks were salty: https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/8 ... ts_of_the/

Bottom line, i think Gogeta and Bardock as HIGHELY LIKELY
It's not my theory, per se, nor was I trying to present it as such. It's just something I noticed after the movie's title was confirmed. If you came up with it earlier and Terez pinged you, then props to you mate.

User avatar
miguelnuva1
I Live Here
Posts: 2212
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Alruneia wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: I think people forget what he was really like in the first movie. Once he breaks out of Paragus' control, he has quite a bit of dialogue and very little of it is "Kakarot." Or if you've ever played Xenoverse 2, he's the same way there.
Absolutely. There wouldn't be any Broly MADs if there were no lines of Broly dialogue to edit, after all! Seriously, though, it's a shame that Broly's been reduced to Flanderised Kakarot-Screaming Man after that first movie.
I can't prove it but I feel like Budokai 3 had a hand in this. It was his first appearance in the modern games, and if you listen to his dialogue in the sound test, you can probably count the lines that are not variants of inarticulate angry screaming or KAKAROT on one hand.
Budokai 3 is the reason people think it takes Gogeta to beat Broli.

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Nothing is conveyed to us about Broly apart from he's angry at Goku for crying when they were babies which is an illogical scenario because Broly would not know Goku after 30-40 years, he would at most, just be angry at crying children. Baby Trunks would have been a better outlet for this. I could not remember the person, who was once a baby, after all this time and even if i could i would never be able to make the connection that the baby grew up to be someone in front of me.
He doesn't hate Goku because he cried... this is false.

The original version of the movie proves its wrong
https://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:597722

The movie never tells you that Broly hated Goku because he cried.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

User avatar
jeffbr92
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:40 pm

Make this real, Toriyama-san!!

Image
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

User avatar
Basaku
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:00 pm
Location: Planet of the Apes

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Basaku » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:41 pm

Cetra wrote:
Basaku wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:Hmmm... he created the character so he knows exactly what he is talking about and what he wanted to do with the character. You are just hating for no reason.
There's a big difference between what he (or any other creator/director) 'wanted' to do and what he actually did. None of that is even in the movie, if that's what the director/creator wanted to convey in the character then he should've, you know... do it? You're defending something that doesn't exist, so spare me the "haters just hating" no-argument.
Well, you are repeating all the time he has no personality when he actually has personality traits and continously shows them.
Like where? Where are those quotes by Broly in the movie how lonely he is and how he just needs somene to protect etc? Anything like that even attempted to be shown by animators? Nowhere to be seen. WHat's left? Rage and "I'll kill u all" ain't personality traits, they're just race characteristics for Saiyans in angry state.

Kale is a living example of a character who has SOME personality outside "rah rah" angry SSJ form. Broly does not.
Last edited by Basaku on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kemuri07
Regular
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:09 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:41 pm

Chiming in to say—

Another Broly movie (technically a canon-remake if the first Broly film...maybe?) is so, so fucking disappointing.

I highly doubt that Broly is going to be any different than what he’s been. He’ll go berserk, trounce Goku and co for 40 min, then Goku will go ultra instinct, commence 5 minutes of expensive spectacle, Goku wins the day.

See? Just spoiled the movie for everyone.



That’s what you get for expecting anything from Super.

User avatar
miguelnuva1
I Live Here
Posts: 2212
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:43 pm

kemuri07 wrote:Chiming in to say—

Another Broly movie (technically a canon-remake if the first Broly film...maybe?) is so, so fucking disappointing.

I highly doubt that Broly is going to be any different than what he’s been. He’ll go berserk, trounce Goku and co for 40 min, then Goku will go ultra instinct, commence 5 minutes of expensive spectacle, Goku wins the day.

See? Just spoiled the movie for everyone.



That’s what you get for expecting anything from Super.
That's basically every Dragonball movie ever.

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3061
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:43 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:Budokai 3 is the reason people think it takes Gogeta to beat Broli.
And in the movies he always loses to Some Bullshit, so you never get a clear idea of where he stands power-wise. I'm still mad we never got to see SS3 Goku fight him. :evil:

Post Reply