Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:00 pm

It would be amusing if Toriyama actually pretended to connect all the past Broly movies with Super, like Goku coming up with: "Broli! Are you still alive?"
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:03 pm

MKCSTEALTH wrote:*hears poster and villain reveal for the movie was released*

Oh boy!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

*sees the title and reveal*

I'm truly at a loss for words. Did Kale backfire so badly that they had to go and make another Broly movie!? I'm absolutely speechless

If they continue Super, will they do so with Broly? What are the implications of this news?

I'm a fan of Broly, but I like my Broly in his little movie 10 universe. Not in my mainstream Dragonball. I like Kale. I love Kefla. I don't wanna a canonized Broly

I hope this turns out to be the biggest troll in the history of this series.
According to this, Toriyama turned in the initial draft of this movie in May 2017. Kale didn't make her proper on-screen debut until June 2017, so they were planning to use Broly before then.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:05 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote: According to this, Toriyama turned in the initial draft of this movie in May 2017. Kale didn't make her proper on-screen debut until June 2017, so they were planning to use Broly before then.
They probably were looking at the responses just from knowing about Kale's existence through the opening and all and then though "kay, now's the time".
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:06 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
kemuri07 wrote:Chiming in to say—

Another Broly movie (technically a canon-remake if the first Broly film...maybe?) is so, so fucking disappointing.

I highly doubt that Broly is going to be any different than what he’s been. He’ll go berserk, trounce Goku and co for 40 min, then Goku will go ultra instinct, commence 5 minutes of expensive spectacle, Goku wins the day.

See? Just spoiled the movie for everyone.

That’s what you get for expecting anything from Super.
Bet you’re still gonna see the movie though. LOL, in fact all this hate over something that you haven’t even seen is stupid. And this movie is still gonna end up being the greatest, most successful Dragon Ball movie of all time. This little thing is just a phase. It will die out and then will come back in 10 days when the trailer releases but the hate will be smaller and by the time movie, everyone will go see it.
Well yea. I won’t pay for it though.

Also. Hah! You’re like 10, aren’t you?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:08 pm

Doctor. wrote:Didn't Toei provide him with the Goku Black arc concept as well? This isn't new.
I have no idea but at least that hasn't really been done before. That was just a generally good idea either way.

With this it's just a matter of some money grubbing editor knowing how popular Broly is and him pushing it on Toriyama to make a movie out of it. They clearly don't care how it fits or if his personality is changed. All they care about is having his name and face on the poster to bring in the money.

It's a bad idea. If they don't change him too much then the movie will suffer from it because he's boring. If they change him too much then he won't be anything like Broly and fans will complain that it's just Broly in name only.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:09 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:

I'm truly at a loss for words. Did Kale backfire so badly that they had to go and make another Broly movie!? I'm absolutely speechless

If they continue Super, will they do so with Broly? What are the implications of this news?

I'm a fan of Broly, but I like my Broly in his little movie 10 universe. Not in my mainstream Dragonball. I like Kale. I love Kefla. I don't wanna a canonized Broly

According to this, Toriyama turned in the initial draft of this movie in May 2017. Kale didn't make her proper on-screen debut until June 2017, so they were planning to use Broly before then.

Fair enough I suppose. I have been watching coverage and I feel a little at ease about it. Still upset. But this is the first time Toriyama is writing Broly. So this could very well be something entirely different

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:10 pm

Bullza wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Didn't Toei provide him with the Goku Black arc concept as well? This isn't new.
I have no idea but at least that hasn't really been done before. That was just a generally good idea either way.

With this it's just a matter of some money grubbing editor knowing how popular Broly is and him pushing it on Toriyama to make a movie out of it. They clearly don't care how it fits or if his personality is changed. All they care about is having his name and face on the poster to bring in the money.

It's a bad idea. If they don't change him too much then the movie will suffer from it because he's boring. If they change him too much then he won't be anything like Broly and fans will complain that it's just Broly in name only.
Toriyama said "While keeping in mind Broly's classic image so as not to disappoint his fans, I updated him and added a new side to his character, and I think this has resulted in a more fascinating Broly."
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:12 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
Basaku wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:But Toriyama accepted to make a new movie about Broly, so deal with it man. Another character, another character blablabla... this new Broly is also a new character so try to enjoy it.

Broly does have a personality in the first movie, watch it again when he tranforms into the LSSJ.
I'm dealing with it just fine, thanks. It's easy for me when I don't gotta make up excuses. There's nothing wrong being a fan of power/design, but why bother pretending it was deeper than that these past years? Broly never had a character or personality and represented solely 'style over substance' side of the franchise. Hopefully Toriyama improves upon it considerably and everyone can enjoy him.
He actually had, even the creator of the movie says that in his recent interview

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42231&p=1509840&hil ... w#p1509840
"In France and in the world, we recognize you for the 8th DBZ movie, the one that revolve around the mythical Broly. How did you had the idea for this change, the movie going in other directions than usual ?

Shigeyasu Yamauchi : When I had to work on the Broly movie, I realized that he lacked something, although he is the most powerful Saiyan. It's this solitude of the powerful warrior that I wanted to retranscribe. He can destroy galaxies but is alone compared to Goku, whom he despises but has a family, just like Vegeta. When he loses at the end, he realizes that strength is not just physical, he would have been able to unlock another kind of power if he had something to protect for example."

Broly does have a personality and also has an interesting background. He is not only a brainless monster.
If I have to read the creator of the film explaining a character's personality in order to get it, said personality probably wasn't there in the first place.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:13 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
Basaku wrote: I'm dealing with it just fine, thanks. It's easy for me when I don't gotta make up excuses. There's nothing wrong being a fan of power/design, but why bother pretending it was deeper than that these past years? Broly never had a character or personality and represented solely 'style over substance' side of the franchise. Hopefully Toriyama improves upon it considerably and everyone can enjoy him.
He actually had, even the creator of the movie says that in his recent interview

"In France and in the world, we recognize you for the 8th DBZ movie, the one that revolve around the mythical Broly. How did you had the idea for this change, the movie going in other directions than usual ?

Shigeyasu Yamauchi : When I had to work on the Broly movie, I realized that he lacked something, although he is the most powerful Saiyan. It's this solitude of the powerful warrior that I wanted to retranscribe. He can destroy galaxies but is alone compared to Goku, whom he despises but has a family, just like Vegeta. When he loses at the end, he realizes that strength is not just physical, he would have been able to unlock another kind of power if he had something to protect for example."

Broly does have a personality and also has an interesting background. He is not only a brainless monster.
If I have to read the creator of the film explaining a character's personality in order to get it, said personality probably wasn't there in the first place.
Don't read what the creator says because he doesn't say anything about Broly's personality in the first place, just watch the movie. I just posted that to prove that Broly is not just a brainless monster, it has nothing to do with his personality. Just watch the movie, don't waste my time.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:14 pm

I'll certainly check this film out.

Was going to comment on the backlash, but decided against it. Not worth it (those people will still watch the film anyway).

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Cetra wrote:
Reactions do not make a personality I'm afraid. Sure your personality can influence how you react in a given situation but they do not define your personality, or lack thereof.
Don't tell me what personality is. I got a degree in psychology before I became a computer scientist. And yes, the reactions Broly has absolutely depend on his personality. That is exactly the point I was making, I never said "reactions make personality. period." and if you would have bothered thinking about it instead of quickly responding you could have concluded that.
No. You said if he had no personality then he would not have had the reactions he had. You're unequivocally linking his reactions to him having a personality. So in essence you are saying reactions make personality. People can right characters that react to situations, that doesn't mean that character has to have any semblance of a personality.

I'd also rather not bring degrees into this because it means nothing. I don't know how you lived your life but just because you have a degree in something doesn't automatically make you right or make your opinion any more valid than anybody else's. People are wrong all the time, even in a field they've studied. And psychology is one of the most complicated things to understand because humans are so chaotic.
BrolyKale wrote:
Nothing is conveyed to us about Broly apart from he's angry at Goku for crying when they were babies which is an illogical scenario because Broly would not know Goku after 30-40 years, he would at most, just be angry at crying children. Baby Trunks would have been a better outlet for this. I could not remember the person, who was once a baby, after all this time and even if i could i would never be able to make the connection that the baby grew up to be someone in front of me.
He doesn't hate Goku because he cried... this is false.

The original version of the movie proves its wrong
https://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:597722

The movie never tells you that Broly hated Goku because he cried.
I've read what I need to. For starters how does Broly even know that the child crying next to him was named Kakarot? Even if you can say that he was only triggered after someone else mentioned Goku's Saiyan name it doesn't give any context to how he knew Goku's Saiyan name as a baby.

As you also say the movie puts a heavy indication on Broly remembering the whole attack when he was a baby. I'm not sure why you dismiss it when we are given it as a flashback several times throughout the film. If it had no context then it wouldn't have been a recurring thing throughout the film.

I also don't recall the dialogue about Goku's power awakening Broly's Saiyan instincts. At least not in the Japanese dub. If that was the case, which is just a theory Paragus posits, there is no need for the implication of the flashbacks every time. Furthermore, as you said in your comment on wikia, it was only 23 mins in, after the while Goku's power theory, that Paragus clicks that this Kakarot may be the very same Kakarot that was next to Broly all those years ago. Which is why he only posited the power theory earlier and not the fact that they were beside each other.

But even if we say it is Goku's power that triggers Broly's Saiyan instincts. Why does that make him angry exactly? And why is it only Goku's power that triggers it? Shouldn't it be triggered by any type of Saiyan?

It just strikes me as an incoherent mess to be honest. And the whole "Kakarot's power makes me angry" honestly sounds like a worse explanation than the baby one in my opinion.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:17 pm

Kale reception wouldve been much better if she were like her manga counterpart tbh.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:17 pm

I've read what I need to. For starters how does Broly even know that the child crying next to him was named Kakarot? Even if you can say that he was only triggered after someone else mentioned Goku's Saiyan name it doesn't give any context to how he knew Goku's Saiyan name as a baby.
This proves you didn't read anything.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:22 pm

kemuri07 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
kemuri07 wrote:Chiming in to say—

Another Broly movie (technically a canon-remake if the first Broly film...maybe?) is so, so fucking disappointing.

I highly doubt that Broly is going to be any different than what he’s been. He’ll go berserk, trounce Goku and co for 40 min, then Goku will go ultra instinct, commence 5 minutes of expensive spectacle, Goku wins the day.

See? Just spoiled the movie for everyone.

That’s what you get for expecting anything from Super.
Bet you’re still gonna see the movie though. LOL, in fact all this hate over something that you haven’t even seen is stupid. And this movie is still gonna end up being the greatest, most successful Dragon Ball movie of all time. This little thing is just a phase. It will die out and then will come back in 10 days when the trailer releases but the hate will be smaller and by the time movie, everyone will go see it.
Well yea. I won’t pay for it though.

Also. Hah! You’re like 10, aren’t you?
I mean. I’m a teenager in high school. Don’t know what you’re tryin roast a random guy on the internet for giving you the facts. Tastes like salt. Anyway, ur probably gonna pay for a ticket to see the movie
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Wait, so we’re getting another Broly lookalike? Jeez. The concept of the bad guy of this movie being a Saiyan was already kind of pushing it for me, but this is just going too far. I don’t even hate Broly like a lot of other people do, but what possible reason could you have for reusing his design, other than as a cynical attempt to cash in on the popularity of the character?

Honestly, would it kill them to find some more original ideas for villains? I’m actually beginning to appreciate Zamasu more and more, since he at least gave us something we hadn’t really seen from the franchise before.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:25 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Wait, so we’re getting another Broly lookalike? Jeez. The concept of the bad guy of this movie being a Saiyan was already kind of pushing it for me, but this is just going too far. I don’t even hate Broly like a lot of other people do, but what possible reason could you have for reusing his design, other than as a cynical attempt to cash in on the popularity of the character?

Honestly, would it kill them to find some more original ideas for villains? I’m actually beginning to appreciate Zamasu more and more, since he at least gave us something we hadn’t really seen from the franchise before.
It's not a lookalike. It's literally Broly.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:25 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:He actually had, even the creator of the movie says that in his recent interview

Don't read what the creator says because he doesn't say anything about Broly's personality in the first place, just watch the movie. I just posted that to prove that Broly is not just a brainless monster, it has nothing to do with his personality. Just watch the movie, don't waste my time.
My guy, I watched it today. Because of the announcement, I was mildly interested in rewatching it. Try again.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:26 pm

I actually feel ill...
I mean this movie was looking so promising in all aspects except for that one "mysterious Saiyan" character looking like some Broly-esque shit but I thought okay let's just leave it to them but now it turns out that It's literally Broly himself and I cannot handle this right now oh my god

It feels like the series has taken such a huge step backwards, I wanted more exploration of the gods and other universes but instead we get the embodiment of the worst stereotypes associated with the series being brought out from the depths of non-canonicity.

The reason this hurts so much is because just look at the first movie poster, it's Goku holding Nyoi-bo, I thought they were going back to a more adventure exploration type feel but now they've done a complete turnaround.

I can't believe they managed to outdo themselves, this makes me feel way worse than when they brought back Freeza, then did some hair colour swap transformations and brought him back again, all of that somehow feels tame now. I was expecting the mysterious Saiyan to be Bardock at the very worst case scenario but wow just wow...

Rozay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rozay » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:27 pm

So, I like Broly. Always have. It's just something that clicks for me with him.

I also think he's a stupid character. I can rationalize him into being okay, but I know that's a rationalization.

I think the crux is that the backbone for an interesting character was always there. So I'm glad Toriyama's gonna try his hand at him, even though Toriyama is just as hit or miss these days.

The thing I like the most, to be honest, is that if this movie has to be about Saiyans, at least it's with a known commodity that I already enjoy, because I quite frankly am tired of new Saiyans being introduced and focused on.

It doesn't beat the alternative of having a movie about something else, but honestly not even the Yamoshi stuff excited me, so burnt out that I am of the concept of Saiyans and their predominance over anyone or anything else.

So, bring Broly. I'm excited and cautiously optimistic.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:27 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote: If I have to read the creator of the film explaining a character's personality in order to get it, said personality probably wasn't there in the first place.
My guy, I watched it today. Because of the announcement, I was mildly interested in rewatching it. Try again.
You watched it and you dare to say that he has no personality? ok. Bye.
Last edited by BrolyKale on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu