Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 3076
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:27 pm

Doctor. wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:Wait, so we’re getting another Broly lookalike? Jeez. The concept of the bad guy of this movie being a Saiyan was already kind of pushing it for me, but this is just going too far. I don’t even hate Broly like a lot of other people do, but what possible reason could you have for reusing his design, other than as a cynical attempt to cash in on the popularity of the character?

Honestly, would it kill them to find some more original ideas for villains? I’m actually beginning to appreciate Zamasu more and more, since he at least gave us something we hadn’t really seen from the franchise before.
It's not a lookalike. It's literally Broly.
Holy crap! And I thought RF felt like a fanfic. The only thing that might possibly be worse than this is if they have Bardock and Gine coming back to life and interacting with Goku, while all attaining Ultra Instinct.

Oh well. I guess this means the movie is guaranteed to make boatloads of cash for an anime film.
Last edited by WittyUsername on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hitiro
I Live Here
Posts: 3433
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Hitiro » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:28 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
I've read what I need to. For starters how does Broly even know that the child crying next to him was named Kakarot? Even if you can say that he was only triggered after someone else mentioned Goku's Saiyan name it doesn't give any context to how he knew Goku's Saiyan name as a baby.
This proves you didn't read anything.
Therefore, Broly knowing Goku's name is not an indication that he remembers Goku at all.
You literally said Broly knowing his name is not an indication that he remembers but how did he know his name? Unless I'm not understanding the context in which you said this. To me you're saying that he hears Vegeta call Goku Kakarot and knows the name but doesn't remember Goku. So I'm asking how did he know of this name because he certainly wouldn't know it from being a baby. I'm addressing the fact that he knows the name here. Which I would assume you're saying he knows it from the period in which Goku was crying next to him. Not that he remembers him.

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:29 pm

Deathbringer wrote:I actually feel ill...
I mean this movie was looking so promising in all aspects except for that one "mysterious Saiyan" character looking like some Broly-esque shit but I thought okay let's just leave it to them but now it turns out that It's literally Broly himself and I cannot handle this right now oh my god

It feels like the series has taken such a huge step backwards, I wanted more exploration of the gods and other universes but instead we get the embodiment of the worst stereotypes associated with the series being brought out from the depths of non-canonicity.

The reason this hurts so much is because just look at the first movie poster, it's Goku holding Nyoi-bo, I thought they were going back to a more adventure exploration type feel but now they've done a complete turnaround.

I can't believe they managed to outdo themselves, this makes me feel way worse than when they brought back Freeza, then did some hair colour swap transformations and brought him back again, all of that somehow feels tame now. I was expecting the mysterious Saiyan to be Bardock at the very worst case scenario but wow just wow...
But its still gonna end up the best and most popular and successful DB film of all time. And plus, the teaser posters we get are never accurate of what’s going on in the actual movie so you kinda jumped to conclusions. And just because its Broly doesn’t mean the movie will be bad. Its a completely new Broly. A reboot.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5525
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 pm

Basaku wrote: Kale is a living example of a character who has SOME personality outside "rah rah" angry SSJ form. Broly does not.
If Broly is "rah rah angry SSJ" then Kale is "Wah wah notice me senpai."

kemuri07
Regular
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:09 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:32 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
kemuri07 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Bet you’re still gonna see the movie though. LOL, in fact all this hate over something that you haven’t even seen is stupid. And this movie is still gonna end up being the greatest, most successful Dragon Ball movie of all time. This little thing is just a phase. It will die out and then will come back in 10 days when the trailer releases but the hate will be smaller and by the time movie, everyone will go see it.
Well yea. I won’t pay for it though.

Also. Hah! You’re like 10, aren’t you?
I mean. I’m a teenager in high school. Don’t know what you’re tryin roast a random guy on the internet for giving you the facts. Tastes like salt. Anyway, ur probably gonna pay for a ticket to see the movie
I mean, I’m not as mad. If you were, 20, I’d be disappointed .

But you don’t know any better little buddy! So you get a pass.

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:34 pm

BrolyKale wrote:Toriyama said "While keeping in mind Broly's classic image so as not to disappoint his fans, I updated him and added a new side to his character, and I think this has resulted in a more fascinating Broly."
But that makes it worse, that makes it so much worse because that is essentially saying.

"Broly is a boring and paper thin character, so I've changed him up entirely but he's not an original character because we wanted to use his name and popularity so we can make more money".

His history, relationships, personality and to some extent his appearance won't be anything like the Broly we know. So there was no need for him to be Broly but they've gone that route because Broly is popular.

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:35 pm

Hitiro wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
I've read what I need to. For starters how does Broly even know that the child crying next to him was named Kakarot? Even if you can say that he was only triggered after someone else mentioned Goku's Saiyan name it doesn't give any context to how he knew Goku's Saiyan name as a baby.
This proves you didn't read anything.
Therefore, Broly knowing Goku's name is not an indication that he remembers Goku at all.
You literally said Broly knowing his name is not an indication that he remembers but how did he know his name? Unless I'm not understanding the context in which you said this. To me you're saying that he hears Vegeta call Goku Kakarot and knows the name but doesn't remember Goku. So I'm asking how did he know of this name because he certainly wouldn't know it from being a baby. I'm addressing the fact that he knows the name here. Which I would assume you're saying he knows it from the period in which Goku was crying next to him. Not that he remembers him.
Vegeta called Goku saying "Kakarot" and Broly was behind them, he just heard the name and that's it. Its like asking how does Kale know Goku's name when Goku never even said it, she just heard it and that's it. Same goes for Broly.

Here are the pictures https://docs.google.com/document/d/15jD ... CkDt0/edit
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Melkaniator » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:37 pm

Zen Yabuki wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:
kemuri07 wrote: I highly doubt that Broly is going to be any different than what he’s been. He’ll go berserk, trounce Goku and co for 40 min, then Goku will go ultra instinct, commence 5 minutes of expensive spectacle, Goku wins the day.

See? Just spoiled the movie for everyone.

That’s what you get for expecting anything from Super.
That's basically every Dragonball movie ever.
This. Not sure why this is exclusive to Super when DB has been doing this for a long time now.
To: Zen Yabuki & miguelnuva1
______________
At least classic DBZ movies brought new villains (not counting sequels, obviously) something recent movies (Akira's) seems incapable of.
______________
To: kemuri07
_______________
I don't expect anything but thrash from Super.

And in case anyone is gonna ask "if you don't like it, why you watch it?"

Because It's like a car crash, I can't just look away regardless of how awful.

Plus, it's so bad it brings fun conversations with friends.
Last edited by Melkaniator on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:38 pm

kemuri07 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
kemuri07 wrote:
Well yea. I won’t pay for it though.

Also. Hah! You’re like 10, aren’t you?
I mean. I’m a teenager in high school. Don’t know what you’re tryin roast a random guy on the internet for giving you the facts. Tastes like salt. Anyway, ur probably gonna pay for a ticket to see the movie
I mean, I’m not as mad. If you were, 20, I’d be disappointed .

But you don’t know any better little buddy! So you get a pass.
Lol, the ignorance is strong in you my friend. But it doesn’t really matter. By the end of the day we’ll all be going to see the movie and this petty complaining will have been no more than a phase
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Shaddy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:38 pm

I think the issue with the backlash is that we have nothing to judge off of except for a single piece of the premise, and that piece being "Broly is in it" sounds like a terrible idea because what we know as "Broly" is a bland joke of a character with nothing to his name but muscles and a mary-sueish insane power level as a child.

In a best-case scenario, the only things tying this new Broly to the old one will be his name and appearance, while his personality and backstory is all Toriyama-original. It would hardly be the first time, but we don't have any proof that he's gonna be that way right now, so all people can do is arbitrarily yell at each other over the validity of a premise, even though a premise means basically nothing in the overall quality of the production.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
RedHeat
Regular
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by RedHeat » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Melkaniator wrote:
Zen Yabuki wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:
That's basically every Dragonball movie ever.
This. Not sure why this is exclusive to Super when DB has been doing this for a long time now.
To: Zen Yabuki & miguelnuva1
______________
At least classic DBZ movies brought new villains (not counting sequels, obviously) something recent movies (Akira's) seems incapable of.
______________
To: kemuri07
_______________
I don't anything but thrash from Super.

And in case anyone is gonna ask "if you don't like it, why you watch it?"

Because It's like a car crash, I can't just look away regardless of how awful.

Plus, it's so bad it brings fun conversations with friends.
That analogy doesn't work when you're 4 years in.
Feels over Reals.

User avatar
Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1693
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Australia

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:44 pm

Evil Goku sounded like a bad idea. Female Broly sounded like a bad idea. Freeza coming back (again) for the ToP sounded like a bad idea. They all turned out to be great.

I am excited for this movie.

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by IndieBooToo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:44 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
IndieBooToo wrote:
Cetra wrote:I hope Broly is using Freeza as a sleigh in this movie.
Nah Broly will use Jobgeta as the sleigh instead. Like he used him for clothesline practice in the original film.
Nah. Freeza’s lookin like the new jobber. They make a huge emphasis on the fate of Goku, Vegeta, and Broly. That makes Freeza less important and more likely to get beat down. Plus, alien-looking characters getting beat down just looks more satisfying.
Nah nobody is taking Jobgeta's job from him. I hope prince of no one develops a new relationship with the snow like he developed a relationship with the ground for years.

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Melkaniator wrote:
Zen Yabuki wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:
That's basically every Dragonball movie ever.
This. Not sure why this is exclusive to Super when DB has been doing this for a long time now.
To: Zen Yabuki & miguelnuva1
______________
At least classic DBZ movies brought new villains (not counting sequels, obviously) something recent movies (Akira's) seems incapable of.
______________
To: kemuri07
_______________
I don't anything but thrash from Super.

And in case anyone is gonna ask "if you don't like it, why you watch it?"

Because It's like a car crash, I can't just look away regardless of how awful.

Plus, it's so bad it brings fun conversations with friends.
Barely. Most of the popular villains are copies.

Janemba is Fat Buu while Super Janemba is Super Buu.
Turles is a combo of Raditz and Vegeta
Android 13, 14, and 15 are just 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, and Cell (its interchangeable) and Super Android 13 is just Perfect form Cell
Cooler is Freeza and Metal Cooler is Mecha Freeza. Cooler’s Armored Squadran is the Ginyu Force
Broly has both a trash backstory and almost non-existent personality and he got 3 movies
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 3076
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:47 pm

I guess I’ll say this; if I were still 12 years old, I would’ve been absolutely ecstatic about the idea of a new Broly movie. As it stand, though, bleh. I’ll obviously still watch the movie, but I really can’t help but feel that Toriyama has had no passion for anything Dragon Ball related beyond BoG, and that the only reason he’s still involved in the franchise is for the you know what.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Zen Yabuki » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:47 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:
Zen Yabuki wrote: This. Not sure why this is exclusive to Super when DB has been doing this for a long time now.
To: Zen Yabuki & miguelnuva1
______________
At least classic DBZ movies brought new villains (not counting sequels, obviously) something recent movies (Akira's) seems incapable of.
______________
To: kemuri07
_______________
I don't anything but thrash from Super.

And in case anyone is gonna ask "if you don't like it, why you watch it?"

Because It's like a car crash, I can't just look away regardless of how awful.

Plus, it's so bad it brings fun conversations with friends.
Barely. Most of the popular villains are copies.

Janemba is Fat Buu while Super Janemba is Super Buu.
Turles is a combo of Raditz and Vegeta
Android 13, 14, and 15 are just 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, and Cell (its interchangeable) and Super Android 13 is just Perfect form Cell
Cooler is Freeza and Metal Cooler is Mecha Freeza. Cooler’s Armored Squadran is the Ginyu Force
Broly has both a trash backstory and almost non-existent personality and he got 3 movies
Was gonna say this. Classic DBZ movies were hardly better at this aspect.

User avatar
Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 968
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Bergamo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:48 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Evil Goku sounded like a bad idea. Female Broly sounded like a bad idea. Freeza coming back (again) for the ToP sounded like a bad idea. They all turned out to be great.

I am excited for this movie.
To be fair, none of the appeal of Goku Black and Kale come from their initial concepts. Female Broly wasn't interesting, but what made me like Kale(in the manga) were her own idiosyncrasies as a character.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 3076
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:48 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Evil Goku sounded like a bad idea. Female Broly sounded like a bad idea. Freeza coming back (again) for the ToP sounded like a bad idea. They all turned out to be great.

I am excited for this movie.
At least as far as the evil Goku thing is concerned, we ended up getting a fairly original villain in the form of Zamasu. As for the female Broly thing, the reception to Kale’s anime self seems to have been something of a mixed bag.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Dragono » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:50 pm

Bullza wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:Toriyama said "While keeping in mind Broly's classic image so as not to disappoint his fans, I updated him and added a new side to his character, and I think this has resulted in a more fascinating Broly."
But that makes it worse, that makes it so much worse because that is essentially saying.

"Broly is a boring and paper thin character, so I've changed him up entirely but he's not an original character because we wanted to use his name and popularity so we can make more money".

His history, relationships, personality and to some extent his appearance won't be anything like the Broly we know. So there was no need for him to be Broly but they've gone that route because Broly is popular.
Uh, they admitted that they are only using broly because he is popular. They are being pretty upfornt about it. Hell, they said the exact same thing with kale.

Toriyama has said numerous times this movie is for fanservice so its not like you were being lied to here. You gotta admire that honesty.

Look, you can't tell people stop doing something while giving them millions of money. Thats why Broly is so used.

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:05 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Evil Goku sounded like a bad idea. Female Broly sounded like a bad idea. Freeza coming back (again) for the ToP sounded like a bad idea. They all turned out to be great.
In the manga? Maybe
If this Broly is anything like Anime Kale then we're doomed

Post Reply