Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Melkaniator » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:19 pm

Brettjr25 wrote: I think Toriyama deciding to contradict everything in the Bardock special with a short poorly written story kind of established canon is whatever he feels like it is at the moment.
If we took manga as the only canon (as it should IMHO) then there was no problem there.

The good ol' days, when by reading the manga was easy to say "it's the canon version".

Now the manga still looks like the canon version (mostly) but because it's not the source of the anime, it's not that simple.
MKCSTEALTH wrote:Did Kale backfire so badly that they had to go and make another Broly movie!?
Apparently, Kale was a complete success, in Japan at least.

But, that only gives more reasons to do this, no less.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5816
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:21 pm

This is probably the last straw that breaks the camels back for a lot of people. Broly in canon, after we just got Kale, to rehash yet another old movie villain just this time in canon.

I'm betting the movie will be a reimagining of Movie 8 just with whatever differences Toriyama came up with, but that's it. I'd love to see Vegeta scared out of his mind again with Piccolo holding it up.

I feel sick to my stomach.

User avatar
jeffbr92
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 pm

If Toriyama don't intend to change iconic things from Broly character, I hope he keeps the Kakarotto scream mainly cause it was underwhelming that lame cheap copy Kale screaming "Son Gokuuu"
precita wrote: I'd love to see Vegeta scared out of his mind again with Piccolo holding it up.
It would be stupid considering he achieved the level of the Gods and was not scared with Berserker/LSSJ Kale, but whatever

Happy three years on Kazenshuu, man!
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by CriticalThinker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:31 pm

Just read the news and I'm not sure how to feel about this. Can't say I'm terribly excited to have Broly as a main antagonist for a fourth movie. Also doesn't make it any better since we were just introduced to Kale as well. But I guess I am interested to see Toriyamas take on the character. Would have preferred a new saiyan antagonist overall but it is what it is. Curious if Kale will have any sort of connection or not to Broly in the movie.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:34 pm

Ok as far as people talking about Broly not being the worst movie villain, I am going to have to disagree. He had absolutely no character whatsoever and his dialogue was almost exclusively limited to just saying Goku's Saiyan name and his backstory was hilariously bad. "He cried like a lot!!" is just a downright horrendous reason for you to hate someone. I mean that is literally what babies do. They cry. Like it doesn't even make sense. Broly makes Jiren look like a masterpiece of a character.

User avatar
ZeroNeonix
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 947
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:37 pm

BrolyKale wrote:You watched it and you dare to say that he has no personality? ok. Bye.
Dude, Broly is a dumb character. Get over it. His whole motivation for trying to kill Goku is that Goku cried when he was a baby. That's it. He's not complicated, he's not interesting, he's just pure testosterone. Kale did it better, and I'm sure the reboot will too, but I'd rather they used a new idea instead of fixing a tired old idea for the second time.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 3077
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:39 pm

Is Dragon Ball Super: Broly the official title of this thing?

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 3077
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:42 pm

I guess I should point out that last I checked, Broly is now trending on Twitter. While I’m not fond of him being brought back, I will admit that is kind of cool.

User avatar
TheOne
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by TheOne » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Nothing wrong with them wanting to properly introduce Broly into the series. To be honest I’d rather they do that than to try to tie it into a pre existing movie.

At least this way they have the opportunity to change things around.

The people crying over this need to just chill out and wait to see how they handle it.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Charlie_1981
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:53 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Charlie_1981 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:44 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:Just read the news and I'm not sure how to feel about this. Can't say I'm terribly excited to have Broly as a main antagonist for a fourth movie. Also doesn't make it any better since we were just introduced to Kale as well. But I guess I am interested to see Toriyamas take on the character. Would have preferred a new saiyan antagonist overall but it is what it is. Curious if Kale will have any sort of connection or not to Broly in the movie.
It will be nice if Kale appears there and meets him, probably she would feel connected to him in some way and forgot Caulifla to take care of him and change her personality just for him, though this is Dragon Ball not a love story.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6544
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Rest in peace, Dragon Ball: 1984 - † 2013. May your past be well preserved and your present be forgotten. Amen!

Only games can save this franchise now. Hopefully we get Xenoverse 3, FighterZ 2 and more games with other stories to tell sooner.
Last edited by Grimlock on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hitiro
I Live Here
Posts: 3433
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Hitiro » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Cetra wrote:No, that is not what "I am saying essentially". You lack the correct logical derivation there. The reactions Broly has - not to mention that mentioning "reactions" were simply an example; you very skillfully ignored the obvious fact that just because I use the word "reactions" but there is more than just reactions alone - require him having a personality in the first place. The way he acts and reacts to things is the direct result of Broly's organismic experience and the way he copes, the way he adapts/responds/et cetera to that. What you say with "so in essence you say reactions make personality" is flat out wrong because it would mean I said "reactions <=> personality" and I never said that (even though it is not 100% wrong either) but that you can conclude he has one from his reactions alone. I have not made a biconditional statement and if you understood that you were clearly misinterpreting. Deriving that he has one because I watch him act and react is not the same thing as saying "because he reacts like that he establishes that personality from those things" as you claimed with the "make personality" part. Don't even try to twist my words because it was not what I essentially said. You are forcing some disturbance of communication here. Also I strongly dislike how you purposely focussed on me mentioning reactions alone. I should not need to tell you there is more than that. On top of that, I am not merely talking about behaviourism, treating the brain as a black box but actually also talking about cognitive psychology as well.
I'm sorry but you were the one that reduced it to how he reacted in the story. Not me. I was merely stating that the writers simply making a character react to elements of the story does not mean that character has any personality. If you want to bring the point of saying other elements show he has character then that's fine but all you said was he must have personality because of the way he reacted in the story.

If that is all you can contribute to say he had personality it is easy for me or anybody else to say that you're saying reactions equals personality. Because that's all you offered as your argument. Saying what you mean actually helps give context to what you're saying. If you omit things you leave yourself open to being misinterpreted.
Cetra wrote:No, it does not mean that and if you would have any knowledge about psychology you would know that it is literally impossible for a person to have no personality. It starts with the dynamics of personality that every person has - every person - and then you start compiling more and more characteristics that make you the person that you are with this of course being a continous process. A person can say about a piece of fiction that a shallow written character has no personality to express that personis extremely shallow but there is still the requirement of personality existing for anything that happens with that person. "Person x has no personality" is a hyperbolic statement the same way when I say "Dragon Ball has no story" just because it is very, very shallow. If you think there is 0 personality, then no, you are as a matter of fact wrong.
It is impossible for a person to have no personality but we aren't talking about people, we're talking about fictional characters and I will have to disagree with you that the characters have to have require some personality existing for anything to happen to that character smarter people than myself constantly talk about characters having no personality in stories if it were simply impossible to have no personality in stories then the blanket statement would not exist among people who review literature. To say that there must be some form of personality for anything to happen suggests that it is impossible to write a story about, say, robots with literally no personality. Because no matter how hard you try the it must have a personality but that isn't the case.
Cetra wrote:While it is interesting that you try to get personal by half-veiled insults along the line of "you probably suck at what you have learned" yes, it gives me and other people who are also knowledgable in their own area of expertise a lot more credibility. In no way that means people are infallible and that was never part of my statement. You are just once more trying to get off the actual point. That you start off by thinking a person literally can have no personality at all and surely have not even heard of half the stuff I could roll out because of that but won't because you just would not accept it anyway and probably counter with some stuff like "you know-it-all, I already told you I don't agree with you and that you can be wrong etc" shows me this already is wasted time. And yes, very obviously my experience about that helps a lot because you clearly have no knowledge here and come to wrong conclusions, purposely twist what I say by making false statements like I said something about biconditional logic. Now of course the probabilities are high and this does not phase you at all because you once more write for the argument alone instead of a chance of coming to an agreement but whatever - I won't waste my time for that.
Sorry if you saw it as an insult but it wasn't intended as one. I'm just stating that you saying you have a degree doesn't mean anything because I don't know you. For all I know you are just someone who works at McDonalds and never got a degree. Or you could be a professor who's teaching kids psychology and computer science.

And I'm sorry that you feel I'm trying to get off the point but it was you who brought up that you had a degree in psychology, not me. If you want to stay on point then maybe you should keep on point yourself instead of, what it seems like, one upping me by trying to invalidate my points because you have a degree in psychology and I don't. And again, you're bringing in "People" into this debate when we're talking about fictional characters. This is literature, not the real world. Of course it's possible to write down a character without personality. People who are creating novels and other stories are always fighting to give their characters personality and seem real. If it were so simple to create a character with personality there would be a lot more writers in the world.

Honestly it seems like you're the one who's getting offensive here and being pretty blatant about it. And it doesn't seem like we'll come to any sort of agreement because you've already made your mind up about me and I don't think you'll budge on your opinion because as you said "I clearly have no knowledge here and come to wrong conclusions". If that's how you treat someone in a debate I want no part of it, thanks.
Last edited by Hitiro on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Thanos
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1488
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:33 am
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Thanos » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:46 pm

Broli's overexposure could not be understated... prior to this announcement. It's official: Broli is the Pikachu of Dragon Ball.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 3077
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:48 pm

Thanos wrote:Broli's overexposure could not be understated... prior to this announcement. It's official: Broli is the Pikachu of Dragon Ball.
Would that make Freeza the Charizard?

User avatar
Yuli Ban
Regular
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:07 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:49 pm

Thanos wrote:Broli's overexposure could not be understated... prior to this announcement. It's official: Broli is the Pikachu of Dragon Ball.
More like Wolverine.
LITTLE MISS SAVAGE
Coming March 16th, 2021 to RoyalRoad and who knows where else!

User avatar
omaro34
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1827
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:27 pm
Location: Western Canada

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:52 pm

Apparently 3 movies and a female version of him wasnt enough. If they can change his backstory and make it more intriguing I can be down with that.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

User avatar
omaro34
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1827
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:27 pm
Location: Western Canada

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:54 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:I kinda want an arc now where Goku, Vegeta and Broly have to tram up with Cabba, Kale and Caulifa.
Great more Saiyans
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Melkaniator » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:54 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:It would be amusing if Toriyama actually pretended to connect all the past Broly movies with Super, like Goku coming up with: "Broli! Are you still alive?"
If by "amusing" you mean "terrible" then yeah, it would be.
perucho1990 wrote:
MKCSTEALTH wrote:Did Kale backfire so badly that they had to go and make another Broly movie!?
Kale reception wouldve been much better if she were like her manga counterpart tbh.
Kale was a success, at least in Japan.

But think about it, this is only more reason to to make the movie.
BlueBasilisk wrote:Toriyama turned in the initial draft of this movie in May 2017. Kale didn't make her proper on-screen debut until June 2017, so they were planning to use Broly before then.
Kale idea was before January 2017.

And TOEI went to Akira with the Kale idea, mentioning Broly's popularity, so I don't think Akira cares about characters he didn't created.

Yes, I'm fully aware he designed him, but that's not what I meant.
Bullza wrote: With this it's just a matter of some money grubbing editor knowing how popular Broly is and him pushing it on Toriyama to make a movie out of it.
This is how we got BoG, thus Super.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

User avatar
Thanos
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1488
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:33 am
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Thanos » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:55 pm

Yuli Ban wrote:
Thanos wrote:Broli's overexposure could not be understated... prior to this announcement. It's official: Broli is the Pikachu of Dragon Ball.
More like Wolverine.
The Bonus Boss of Attack of the Saiyans, none other than "Legendary" Super Saiyan Broly, despite the game covering until the saga before Super Saiyans appear on the plot, about 15 volumes and 150 episodes before the point Broly's movie could happen. Proving why he belongs in this trope, they used him on ads for the game. Broly appeared in a total of 17 games, including a "What If?" Super Saiyan 3 form in Raging Blast, the other being Vegeta, who's more fitting for the status.
I love it.

It is kind of funny how blatant a cash grab this is; Toriyama's basically admitted there's no reason why this couldn't have just been a new Saiyan villain. I guess in a sense he is, with the attention-grabbing clickbait "Broly" name and seemingly superficial similarity in appearance.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by CriticalThinker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:55 pm

Charlie_1981 wrote: It will be nice if Kale appears there and meets him, probably she would feel connected to him in some way and forgot Caulifla to take care of him and change her personality just for him, though this is Dragon Ball not a love story.
I'm doubtful they'd fall in love because as you said this is Dragon Ball and they'd most likely fight one another which I'd be down for. Broly being in the movie makes me a bit more hopeful for Kale and to an extent Caulifla being involved.

Post Reply