Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by theTUN » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:35 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Broli being the name of the Saiyan in this film still ultimately has absolutely zero effect on what the plot might be. Nothing about Broli would automatically dictate the film's path.

I do hope that Toriyama's take on Broli is another subversion, though. Maybe this Broli will be a principled man who fought for social democratic values and hates Vegeta because he is the son of the king he tried to overthrow in the past? Who knows.
DSA Broly plz lmfao

Dragono
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Dragono » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:37 pm

Bullza wrote:
Dragono wrote:Uh, they admitted that they are only using broly because he is popular. They are being pretty upfornt about it. Hell, they said the exact same thing with kale.

Toriyama has said numerous times this movie is for fanservice so its not like you were being lied to here. You gotta admire that honesty.
That may be so but it's still not a good thing. Just the last movie brought back the most popular villain as a drawing point. Now this movie is bringing back the next most popular villain for the same reason.

All the possible ideas they could come up with and with how creative Toriyama has been shown to be...and essentially some editor told Toriyama that Broly is really popular so make a Broly movie. Toriyama obviously doesn't care about Broly if he didn't even remember designing him but he's had to make a movie all about him now because he was told to.

That's unbelievably lazy.
PFM18 wrote:I don't care if people complain about that. To me that is the best case scenario. A new "Broly" but he is only Broly by name and is instead an interesting character that is part of the greatest DB movie of all time. A Broly that has a real backstory, interesting motives, a nuanced personality and an interesting transformation with tie-ins to the origins of the Saiyans. THAT is what I want. The less like the original Broly the better IMO. That way this Broly could wipe the old Broly out of everyone's memory and be forgotten forever. Toriyama's Dragon Ball Super Broly would completely overshadow Toei's Dragon Ball Z Broly.
But at that point it's not Broly. Changing his history, his motives, giving him a different personality and different forms...that's not Broly. That's a completely different character that just has his face and name.

So the movie is going to be named after him, the fans are going to see it for the Broly that they are familiar with and who is hugely popular only to get someone that is nothing like that. What's the point in that? That should be an original character and from the sound of it it practically is but they've slapped Broly on him to make more money.
Yes, it is but it makes money and thats all that really speaks here. Ranting on forums or twitter or youtube won't send that message. I'm laughing at so many in the fandom for that very reason.

Stop supporting it if you think its bad. Star wars fans did that with solo and will probably do that with flicks they don't want to see.

At what point, do people say I don't want this and just drop it because at this point you can't blame the writers or editors anymore.

User avatar
jeffbr92
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:41 pm

Melkaniator wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:It would be amusing if Toriyama actually pretended to connect all the past Broly movies with Super, like Goku coming up with: "Broli! Are you still alive?"
If by "amusing" you mean "terrible" then yeah, it would be
Why? Is not like we had any official continuity to begin with lol
Hellspawn28 wrote:What if Toriyama does end up redoing the other old movie villains like Coola and Janemba if this movie does well enough?
This thread is more appropriate for that question
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Okay, so judging by the voice cast and the...
Has Bin Shimada confirmed as Broly?
Last edited by jeffbr92 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

User avatar
JazzMazz
I Live Here
Posts: 2216
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:43 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:For me DB died when Goku took off with Uub, after that the "Dragon Ball: Cash Grab" series began.
Everything is cash grab. No one does anything without aiming to profit. Being "cash grab" is not a bad thing unless you do it soulless, which unfortunate it is the case since 2014. You can tell that until Movie 14 and Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman they were at least trying, they were telling something, there was something behind it, they both added something valuable to the franchise, mainly the former. Nowadays, things are done without care, without love, resulting in horrendous stuff that we have to put up with.

This is really sad, I really wanted the "main series" to be better, to be right up there with the recent games, but it's only going downhill, and now we've reached this point... :(
Simply saying that the new material is made without care or love, I think is a terribly disingenuous thing to say, considering thats its completely and blatantly false, since there is a lot of love, thought and effort put into the creation of this new stuff by the staff who make the new material.

Thats not to defend the quality of the new material, I'm simply stating that just because you don't enjoy the new material, doesn't mean that there hasn't been a lot of love and care put into its creation.

I think its terribly weak and flawed statement to make.
Last edited by JazzMazz on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:44 pm

Dragono wrote:I'm laughing at so many in the fandom for that very reason.
You shouldn't because if these fans were to ever stop supporting it then it changes everything. You mention Star Wars fans but because the Han Solo movie bombed then now they're probably not going to make any more of these spin off movies.

I'm not saying this movie will bomb and I'm not even saying it will be bad. It's just disappointing that in a series that has any number of possibilities and a creator who is clearly very creative that they have come up with really the most uncreative thing they could possibly do just because it's easy money.

If it isn't bad enough that they're having a Saiyan for a villain even though we only recently had Goku Black and even Kale, having Broly for the villain even though he's already been in three of them and the very recent 4-D movie, the idea of bringing back a villain and naming the movie off of him was already done in the very last movie.

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by theTUN » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:47 pm

I mean, assuming that they change Broly's personality and backstory enough to make him a different character, would it really make that much of a difference if he was a different Legendary Saiyan with a green aura instead. I think people are having a knee-jerk reaction to Broly's inclusion because it feels wrong, not because we have any actual information that'd give us a reason to suspect it'll be bad. I'm not any different, there's something about Broly's inclusion that just feels wrong that I can't quite put my finger on.
Last edited by theTUN on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2791
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:48 pm

I seriously doubt this movie is going to flop. Dragon Ball these days is too damn popular, and the fact that Broly has been trending on Twitter in both English and Japanese would suggest that a lot of people are going to see this movie, regardless of how they feel about the character’s inclusion.

User avatar
JazzMazz
I Live Here
Posts: 2216
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:50 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Broli being the name of the Saiyan in this film still ultimately has absolutely zero effect on what the plot might be. Nothing about Broli would automatically dictate the film's path.

I do hope that Toriyama's take on Broli is another subversion, though. Maybe this Broli will be a principled man who fought for social democratic values and hates Vegeta because he is the son of the king he tried to overthrow in the past? Who knows.
This is kind of what I'm hoping for as well.

Maybe his motivation this movie is to get revenge on Vegeta, the son of the king that lead the Saiyan race to near extinction.

Perhaps they could also contrast the more noble aspects of his character with the blood thirsty legendary transformation(which, lets be honest, is definitely going to show up).

Who knows what Toriyama has planned, at the very least, I hope Nagamine does a good job of selling all the aspects of Broly's character in this film.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6273
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:51 pm

JazzMazz wrote:Simply saying that the new material is made without care or love, I think is a terribly disingenuous thing to say, considering thats its completely and blatantly false, since there is a lot of love, thought and effort put into the creation of this new stuff by the staff who make the new material.
Oh, is there? Tell me more about it. How are there thought and effort in doing tournaments after tournaments? In spending time, effort (physical effort) and money by doing a movie to bring back a villain that didn't need to be brought back and kill him in the same movie?
JazzMazz wrote:I think its terribly weak and flawed statement to make.
Your statement that you made on Heroes thread about an anime based on a game is also weak and completely flawed but hey, no one told you that.

User avatar
Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:53 pm

Bullza wrote: His history, relationships, personality and to some extent his appearance won't be anything like the Broly we know.
Good. Let's hope so.
Bullza wrote: So there was no need for him to be Broly but they've gone that route because Broly is popular.
Or Toriyama went that route because he liked the name, character design and general concept of a Legendary Super Saiyan. No biggie. People seem intent on pushing this narrative that Toriyama only implemented his interpretation of the character because his editor suggested it, but that's not necessarily true -- he's more than likely still willing to reject ideas that he's not on board with, and going to the trouble of watching the original movie in the first place could suggest that he sees some potential there.

johnboy1
Regular
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:15 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by johnboy1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:53 pm

...Holy shit. DBZ Rewrite's joke finally came true, 18 years later. "It's BROLLY! AGAIN!"
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

User avatar
jeffbr92
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:55 pm

theTUN wrote:I mean, assuming that they change Broly's personality and backstory enough to make him a different character, would it really make that much of a difference if he was a different Legendary Saiyan with a green aura instead?
Yes, cause it's iconic. I hope they bring back the old Z SFX as I expect to hear that sound when Broly is powering up
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:55 pm

Bullza wrote:
Dragono wrote:I'm laughing at so many in the fandom for that very reason.
You shouldn't because if these fans were to ever stop supporting it then it changes everything.
We've been hearing about fans possibly not supporting the franchise if A, B or C happens yet the franchise makes more than everyone expects by far so as of now they're a vocal minority.

If you've got Goku and Vegeta getting a rematch with a reintroduced Broly, Freeza fighting him as well, Bardock possibly being part of the past segments & Gogeta at the end ? Marketing wise, that's pure gold.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
MR.Mark
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1710
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:11 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:00 am

What if Broly is from universe 6 and is Kale's father? I'd laugh if Paragus was the king of Salada.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:02 am

MR.Mark wrote:What if Broly is from universe 6 and is Kale's father? I'd laugh if Paragus was the king of Salada.
Anything's possible at this point. We know Goku and Vegeta will go somewhere cold so there's a more likely chance that he's been there all along frozen.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
simtek34
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:40 pm
Location: Mount Paozu (Twin Cities, MN)
Contact:

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by simtek34 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:03 am

sintzu wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:What if Broly is from universe 6 and is Kale's father? I'd laugh if Paragus was the king of Salada.
Anything's possible at this point. We know Goku and Vegeta will go somewhere cold so there's a more likely chance that he's been there all along frozen.
Oh God, the Movie 10 flashbacks are returning...
Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Melkaniator » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:04 am

Dragono wrote: There the exact same thing
No, it's not, that's not how "exactly the same" works.
Dragono wrote: Besides weren't there 2 cooler movies and 3 broly movies, and 2 bardock specials.
I said movies.
I posted excluding sequels, you missed that apparently, and I also posted movies, not specials, you missed that too I guess.

I won't complain about having the same character if it's a sequel, duh.

The thing is, classic DBZ movies had new villains since the beginning, Akira movies haven't, any of em'.
JazzMazz wrote:
The art for the film has easily been the best thing to come out of it.
And you have every right to see it that way, different people, different tastes.

I don't like it, specially how they drew Goku's eye in that close up on the trailer.
sintzu wrote:
Toriyama sees something in Broly worth revisiting and based on what he's done so far we should give him the benefit of the doubt.
#1) This was the editor's idea not Akira's.

Akira wouldn't use a character he didn't created normally.

#2) Based on what I've seen from Akira since his return, I'm expecting something from "meh" to just more disappointment.
sintzu wrote: Fans are complaining as always but will be the 1st ones lined up to see it.
But of course, it's DB, I have to see if there's entertaining in this, or how they can making it even worse beyond my imagination.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

User avatar
jeffbr92
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:05 am

MR.Mark wrote:What if Broly is from universe 6 and is Kale's father? I'd laugh if Paragus was the king of Salada.
Father? Nah, but sister would be fine
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Dragono » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:05 am

precita wrote:This is probably the last straw that breaks the camels back for a lot of people. Broly in canon, after we just got Kale, to rehash yet another old movie villain just this time in canon.

I'm betting the movie will be a reimagining of Movie 8 just with whatever differences Toriyama came up with, but that's it. I'd love to see Vegeta scared out of his mind again with Piccolo holding it up.

I feel sick to my stomach.
You say that a lot but this might be the actaul one, if this movie sucks. It might be the final crossroad.


a lot is riding on this

User avatar
MR.Mark
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1710
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:11 am

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:07 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:What if Broly is from universe 6 and is Kale's father? I'd laugh if Paragus was the king of Salada.
Father? Nah, but sister would be fine
I was just thinking that, I wouldin't be against it.

Post Reply