Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:09 am

JazzMazz wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Broli being the name of the Saiyan in this film still ultimately has absolutely zero effect on what the plot might be. Nothing about Broli would automatically dictate the film's path.

I do hope that Toriyama's take on Broli is another subversion, though. Maybe this Broli will be a principled man who fought for social democratic values and hates Vegeta because he is the son of the king he tried to overthrow in the past? Who knows.
This is kind of what I'm hoping for as well.

Maybe his motivation this movie is to get revenge on Vegeta, the son of the king that lead the Saiyan race to near extinction.

Perhaps they could also contrast the more noble aspects of his character with the blood thirsty legendary transformation(which, lets be honest, is definitely going to show up).

Who knows what Toriyama has planned, at the very least, I hope Nagamine does a good job of selling all the aspects of Broly's character in this film.
This is how I'm seeing it as well. This is still going to be its own film with its own interpretation of Broly. They can do whatever they want with that character, just as long it's interesting and fresh.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:11 am

Melkaniator wrote: #1) This was the editor's idea not Akira's.
They've made it clear time and again that he gets the final say in what happens so he could've turned this down as he did many of their innital ideas.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:12 am

Grimlock wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:Simply saying that the new material is made without care or love, I think is a terribly disingenuous thing to say, considering thats its completely and blatantly false, since there is a lot of love, thought and effort put into the creation of this new stuff by the staff who make the new material.
Oh, is there? Tell me more about it. How are there thought and effort in doing tournaments after tournaments? In spending time, effort (physical effort) and money by doing a movie to bring back a villain that didn't need to be brought back and kill him in the same movie?
JazzMazz wrote:I think its terribly weak and flawed statement to make.
Your statement that you made on Heroes thread about an anime based on a game is also weak and completely flawed but hey, no one told you that.
Well, there was thought and effort placed into the how those tournaments were going to play out, and how the production was going to handle that.

Nakamura and Takami's interview about the universal survival arc more than demonstrates that there was indeed a great amount of thought and care placed into creating the TOP and I think it goes into a lot of depth about how and why they handled things the way they did.

As for my DB Heroe's comments, go ahead and call me out on that.

I still maintain its just a crappy advertisement, with minimal creative effort being put into it, as evidenced by the amount of staff on the project.
Melkinator wrote:And you have every right to see it that way, different people, different tastes.

I don't like it, specially how they drew Goku's eye in that close up on the trailer.
For reference, the teaser doesn't follow the models for the designs at all. It was simply an animators uncorrected work. I wouldn't use it to judge what the art for the actual film is going to be like.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:12 am

Melkaniator wrote:
Dragono wrote: There the exact same thing
No, it's not, that's not how "exactly the same" works.
Dragono wrote: Besides weren't there 2 cooler movies and 3 broly movies, and 2 bardock specials.
I said movies.
I posted excluding sequels, you missed that apparently, and I also posted movies, not specials, you missed that too I guess.

I won't complain about having the same character if it's a sequel, duh.

The thing is, classic DBZ movies had new villains since the beginning, Akira movies haven't, any of em'.
JazzMazz wrote:
The art for the film has easily been the best thing to come out of it.
And you have every right to see it that way, different people, different tastes.

I don't like it, specially how they drew Goku's eye in that close up on the trailer.
sintzu wrote:
Toriyama sees something in Broly worth revisiting and based on what he's done so far we should give him the benefit of the doubt.
#1) This was the editor's idea not Akira's.

Akira wouldn't use a character he didn't created normally.

#2) Based on what I've seen from Akira since his return, I'm expecting something from "meh" to just more disappointment.
sintzu wrote: Fans are complaining as always but will be the 1st ones lined up to see it.
But of course, it's DB, I have to see if there's entertaining in this, or how they can making it even worse beyond my imagination.
Copying an idea and recycling an idea are the exact same thing because its not original. The base of that idea was not yours. The classic dbz movies ripped off the original manga constantly.

Second of all no, bog was an original villain, the one we know came from toriyama, the one toei made was going to be a copy of babyy. Freeza was recycled and broly is being rebooted. which in a way is new, unless you consider spiderman the animated series and the ultimate spiderman the same show.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 am

sintzu wrote:
Melkaniator wrote: #1) This was the editor's idea not Akira's.
They've made it clear time and again that he gets the final say in what happens so he could've turned this down as he did many of their innital ideas.
I think he always could have done that even back in the day, i mean his editors told him to keep Goku a kid and he said no.

But the point is, this wasn't his idea.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 am

I wonder if Broly will fight Beerus on the movie, just to show him who was the true God :twisted:
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:18 am

So, the Bardock TV Special, Movie 8 (first Broly film) and Movie 12 are being re-released in a limited showing this fall, before the new Super movie.
The choice of these three animated features certainly can be seen as clues (potentially)
- The history of the Saiyans and the Freeza Force (Bardock)
- Broly

But, what about movie 12?
- The dead coming back to life (possible double entendre, of Broly coming back into the franchise AND possibly "Resurrection B").
- Gogeta (while the new film could have SSB Vegetto appear, but how awesome would it be to have SSB Gogeta appear instead?)
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:19 am

sintzu wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:What if Broly is from universe 6 and is Kale's father? I'd laugh if Paragus was the king of Salada.
Anything's possible at this point. We know Goku and Vegeta will go somewhere cold so there's a more likely chance that he's been there all along frozen.
Please for the love of Dende dont let this be it.

Wait a second. If the series doesnt come back doesnt this mean Broly could be the final villain of the entire DB franchise? That thought is frightening to say the least

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:26 am

Grimlock wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:For me DB died when Goku took off with Uub, after that the "Dragon Ball: Cash Grab" series began.
Everything is cash grab. No one does anything without aiming to profit. Being "cash grab" is not a bad thing unless you do it soulless
I don't bother using the term "cash grab" if I feel there's more to it.
Grimlock wrote:Nowadays, things are done without care, without love, resulting in horrendous stuff that we have to put up with.

This is really sad, I really wanted the "main series" to be better, to be right up there with the recent games, but it's only going downhill, and now we've reached this point
I agree, it's sad indeed.

I know there are those that have passion for it, I see glimpses of that here and there, but most of them, they really don't care.
jeffbr92 wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:It would be amusing if Toriyama actually pretended to connect all the past Broly movies with Super, like Goku coming up with: "Broli! Are you still alive?"
If by "amusing" you mean "terrible" then yeah, it would be
Why? Is not like we had any official continuity to begin with lol
DB canon today is beyond laughable, I'll admit that, but it's not excuse to keep adding to that.
WittyUsername wrote:I seriously doubt this movie is going to flop. Dragon Ball these days is too damn popular
I agree.

Actually, it's too popular for it's own good.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:27 am

Wow... This is so disappointing. Next up... DBS Movie #2 Golden Cooler

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:28 am

PFM18 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:What if Broly is from universe 6 and is Kale's father? I'd laugh if Paragus was the king of Salada.
Anything's possible at this point. We know Goku and Vegeta will go somewhere cold so there's a more likely chance that he's been there all along frozen.
Please for the love of Dende dont let this be it.

Wait a second. If the series doesnt come back doesnt this mean Broly could be the final villain of the entire DB franchise? That thought is frightening to say the least
This'll make too much money not to bring the series back.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:29 am

Kaiosama wrote:Wow... This is so disappointing. Next up... DBS Movie #2 Golden Cooler
If Broly can be bright back then nothing's off the table.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:30 am

Kaiosama wrote:Wow... This is so disappointing. Next up... DBS Movie #2 Golden Cooler
Heroes already did that,

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:32 am

sintzu wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:I wonder how Vic Micnogna feels about this. Didn’t he say a while back that he doesn’t particularly like voicing Broly?
If he'll be different from the original broly they could get a new voice actor.
Considering Mignogna's range, I doubt it.
I just hope this movie is easy on his vocal chords (the reason why Mignogna is not fond of Broly is because of the guttural voice takes a lot out of Mignogna's voice).
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:33 am

Melkaniator wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:For me DB died when Goku took off with Uub, after that the "Dragon Ball: Cash Grab" series began.
Everything is cash grab. No one does anything without aiming to profit. Being "cash grab" is not a bad thing unless you do it soulless
I don't bother using the term "cash grab" if I feel there's more to it.
Grimlock wrote:Nowadays, things are done without care, without love, resulting in horrendous stuff that we have to put up with.

This is really sad, I really wanted the "main series" to be better, to be right up there with the recent games, but it's only going downhill, and now we've reached this point
I agree, it's sad indeed.

I know there are those that have passion for it, I see glimpses of that here and there, but most of them, they really don't care.
jeffbr92 wrote:
Melkaniator wrote: If by "amusing" you mean "terrible" then yeah, it would be
Why? Is not like we had any official continuity to begin with lol
DB canon today is beyond laughable, I'll admit that, but it's not excuse to keep adding to that.
WittyUsername wrote:I seriously doubt this movie is going to flop. Dragon Ball these days is too damn popular
I agree.

Actually, it's too popular for it's own good.
Dragon ball has always been a cash grab and toriyama never cared. he made super saiyan just so his assistant would have an easier time drawing.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:34 am

sintzu wrote:
If Broly can be bright back then nothing's off the table.
actaul i think broly and bojack are the only villains that can come back and fit in the timeline.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:34 am

He's already attached to the Heroes license. And considering he's showing up in the next episode of that mini series it's unlikely he'd appear in his own movie.
ShadowBardock89 wrote:But, what about movie 12?
- The dead coming back to life (possible double entendre, of Broly coming back into the franchise AND possibly "Resurrection B").
- Gogeta (while the new film could have SSB Vegetto appear, but how awesome would it be to have SSB Gogeta appear instead?)
That is fascinating. Gogeta vs Broly has always been popular in the game intros. Though with the power of Blue, I doubt a Metamoran fusion would last very long. I honestly see Goku tapping back into UI (which the thought of Goku having to use UI against Broly made me cringe)

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:34 am

Dragono wrote:
Heroes already did that,
Not in canon. Making it canon = original new idea. lol

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:42 am

Kanassa wrote:Alright, so going off the other examples of Super... Broly's gonna be amazing and the best part of the film? Alright. I can dig it.
Glad to see you remained positive. :D

I'm not a fan of Broly, but I'm interested in the changes Toriyama made in him. I mean, I'm one of the people who liked what Super did with Kale. At the very least, I can't see them doing any worst than, 'Broly triggered over a crying baby as a newborn'.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:43 am

PFM18 wrote:
Bullza wrote:If they change him too much then he won't be anything like Broly and fans will complain that it's just Broly in name only.
I don't care if people complain about that. To me that is the best case scenario. A new "Broly" but he is only Broly by name and is instead an interesting character that is part of the greatest DB movie of all time. A Broly that has a real backstory, interesting motives, a nuanced personality and an interesting transformation with tie-ins to the origins of the Saiyans. THAT is what I want. The less like the original Broly the better IMO. That way this Broly could wipe the old Broly out of everyone's memory and be forgotten forever. Toriyama's Dragon Ball Super Broly would completely overshadow Toei's Dragon Ball Z Broly.

A man can dream.

I am disappointed by this news of it being about Broly but with that being said no matter what they did with this movie people would whine and complain about it. That is how things are in 2018. The negative rhetoric dominates always
This goes beyond dream and deep into a realm so twisted that modern medicine have teems for hiw deluded and i sane it might be.

I mean, I love Toriyama's work as much as the next person, but he ain't giving us this. The Broly we will get will lean heavily in the direction of his original portrayal than in any sort if remaining. And that's fine. People like him because of the way he is.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063