Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by A Man named RJ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:43 am

sintzu wrote: A good amount of fans would rather see DB be original like it was back in the day but with how much $$$ it's making, what's the point of getting upset over something we can't change ? Fans like myself aren't happy because this is the best thing they could come up with but rather we're being open minded and hoping that such a lazy and overused idea will result in something good, even if it isn't original like what we hoped.

DB since RF has been living off of fan ideas and nostalgia and that's not going to change. Is that a good thing ? of course not but like I said, it's out of our hands.
That's just it. Western influence also helped them with this decision. Outrage (constructive of course) would do so damn much in the way of telling the creators of this franchise that we want more creativity. This mentality hurts my head. You're telling me that you;d rather attack fans who are frustrated with this than use that same response toward the creators? Use those same sentiments? If as much energy as it took to tell me that I'm a troll for not likingb the direction any nostalgia-driven franchise is going, then USE THAT ENERGY TO TELL THE CREATORS WHAT YOU WANT

Instead I'm seeing people literally trying to psyche themselves up and just accept the mediocrity even if they don't like it! and they KNOW they think it's Lazy. I know they think it's lazy, they flat out say how annoyed they are with it, and then leave this vaugue threat "WELL DEY BETTER REVAMP IT OOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRR"........................ "Or" what? You're gonna sit there and defend the next stupid decision they come up with? And the next one? And the next one? What kind of fandom does that? A fandom that needs to collapse on itself. If a franchise just has to 'exist' for you to be happy, then you have some low/terribad standards.

I for one am done supporting this franchise with my money. If they dont care to try, why should I reward them for it? At this point I'm here for the sakuga, but that's like buying a car for the paint job. Why should I engage with a fandom that will more hastily defend laziness and a lack of innovation over the actual product for everyone? And yeah, it's fucking Lazy. It's just fanfiction at this point. Not hard to write, especially when the fan standards for writing in this series are as low as they are. I guess to say it more politely.

俺わ海賊王になる男だ
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:53 am

So since Broly was mentioned by Toriyama-san's editor and the movie's been worked on for long already I suppose this "Toei wanted to bring in Broly somehow" therefore Kale was born and the talk about bringing in Broly for real all happened at the same time. I don't think they necessarily waited months to once more talk about it. I think they conceptualized Kale, meanwhile Toriyama-san watched the movies and then started with the whole actual movie integration, probably even taking advantage of the fact that Kale is a thing now and somewhat bringing in some sort of connection here as well as she kind of paved the way for Broly's inclusion.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

STH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by STH » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:55 am

I like Broly and his movies. I'm glad for this. :D
Melkaniator wrote: "DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant."
By the way, your signature is so true. I like it :thumbup:
Can I copy? :D
Melkaniator wrote: "DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:56 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I think it’s worth pointing out that Broly has a tail in this film (that’s if he’s actually that silhouette dude from that pamphlet a couple of months back). Did he have a tail in the previous Broly films?
I don't remember seeing a tail on this Broly either.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:56 am

A Man named RJ wrote:Western influence also helped them with this decision. Outrage (constructive of course) would do so damn much in the way of telling the creators of this franchise that we want more creativity.
Companies make their decisions based on the $$$ signs and so far, especially in Japan which comes first, DB has exceeded their expectations for the past few years so what they're doing is working, despite it being lazy and despite some fans rightfully not being happy with it.

We can outrage all we want but $$$ comes first and what they're doing is bringing in a lot of it. Some fans think $$$ = quality but I'm not one of them so don't mistake me using finances as a way to argue quality and originality but fact of the matter is, CEOs and shareholders look at one thing and one thing only, the $. If it's coming in then it's a job well done, regardless of what everyone thinks.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

STH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by STH » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:57 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I think it’s worth pointing out that Broly has a tail in this film (that’s if he’s actually that silhouette dude from that pamphlet a couple of months back). Did he have a tail in the previous Broly films?
Yes

Last edited by STH on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:01 am

At least now we know why Princess Trunks escaped to the other timeline. He smelled Broly 10 miles away.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:14 am

As a franchise, in the Last 5 years Dragon Ball has added Gods of Destruction, Angels, Renegade Gods with Evil "Goku", Multiversal tournaments, Fighting on a Instinctual level, Time Gods, Time Soldiers, Demigra, Mechikabula, Other Dark Dragon Balls, Other Dark Shenlong along with other characters getting many different and strange forms.. Oh and an android that transforms into Majin Boo.. Dragon Ball has arguably entered 2003 AF Land with Episode of Bardock in 2012 ans has only delved further since then.

All of those things were hit or miss. Toriyama brought back Freeza for no reason AT ALL and some loved it, some hated it(Me)... he decides to "RE" write Broly and its the end of the world?.. Remember guys Kale ( Girl Broly ) wasn't his idea. He arguably destroyed Bardock with Minus but hey, if Broly was already broken like most of you claim.. Then maybe JUST maaaaybe this old forgetful Son of Gun can use just the right amount of Super glue to Fix him.

Keep an open mind.. though no one is forcing you to stay.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:18 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:Dragon Ball has arguably entered 2003 AF Land in 2012 ans has only delved further since then.
If (when) Toriyama reintroduces Ssj4 and possibly, just maybe, has him use UI, that'd result in his hair and possibly fur turning white which would result in an official...Ssj5. If you think Broly is causing a melt down, wait till that becomes a reality. :lol:
Last edited by sintzu on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:18 am

Freeza for no reason AT ALL
Everybody hated it at the time including me but holy crap was it executed extremely well. Ultimately Freeza made the ToP way better than it would have been otherwise IMO

Hopefully AT finds a way to do the same with Broly

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:18 am

PFM18 wrote:
I don't remember seeing a tail on this Broly either.
He has one in these leaflets for the movie

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 am

I'm about 50/50 on this. While I'm sort of rolling my eyes at how obvious pandering this is; I'm also excited to see Toriyama's take on the infamous villain.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:22 am

JazzMazz wrote:The art for the film has easily been the best thing to come out of it. Its a fresh new take on the visuals of the series and vast improvement over the painfully mediocre or bad art that has plagued the franchise for at least a decade.

Its a return to form for the franchise visually, or more accurately a return to having good character designs that are liked in the industry.
Meh. I liked the Z-style better, but I was willing to give the new art direction a shot. I'm kinda getting tired of having that reaction to every bit of new info, though. "Meh. Not a fan, but I'll give it a shot." Nothing about this movie has really excited me yet, especially not the reveal of freaking Broly coming back.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 am

I just hope he doesn't get one-shot by Sorbet's laser ring.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:24 am

Hmm maybe Toriyama will give Ozaru one final hurrah?

The idea of Toriyama cherry picking ideas throughout the franchise and possibly building and or improving on them keeps me optimistic. I'm still hoping he makes up for Minus in this film.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:30 am

MR.Mark wrote:Hmm maybe Toriyama will give Ozaru one final hurrah?
It'll look epic with the new art style.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:35 am

Well... this is, uh. Wow. I DEFINITELY did not see that coming. I still can't decide if this is concrete confirmation that is movie is going to be a steaming pile of garbage (nice looking garbage, but still) or if this redeems it somehow(?). Maybe it's a so-crazy-that-it-just-might-work sort of thing?
Imagine how fucking nuts it would be if the fake spoiler turns out to be true and
[spoiler]Broly kills Beerus[/spoiler]
that would just be so insane and nonsensical to the point where it wraps around and becomes amazing.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:39 am

TheQuazz wrote:Well... this is, uh. Wow. I DEFINITELY did not see that coming. I still can't decide if this is concrete confirmation that is movie is going to be a steaming pile of garbage (nice looking garbage, but still) or if this redeems it somehow(?). Maybe it's a so-crazy-that-it-just-might-work sort of thing?
Imagine how fucking nuts it would be if the fake spoiler turns out to be true and
[spoiler]Broly kills Beerus[/spoiler]
that would just be so insane and nonsensical to the point where it wraps around and becomes amazing.
He's too popular to kill off now.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:44 am

Yeah, I know. I just want SOMETHING to happen in Dragon Ball for once, it feels like since Battle of Gods the franchise has just been sitting around and stewing in its own juices. You could cut out everything between the 2013 movie and this one and nothing of narrative significance would be lost except for the most basic of plot points like "they have a blue super saiyan now" and "freeza's alive again but hes less cranky now".

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:46 am

Melkaniator wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Nowadays, things are done without care, without love, resulting in horrendous stuff that we have to put up with.

This is really sad, I really wanted the "main series" to be better, to be right up there with the recent games, but it's only going downhill, and now we've reached this point
I agree, it's sad indeed.

I know there are those that have passion for it, I see glimpses of that here and there, but most of them, they really don't care.
I think the problem more has to do with the creative mind set behind the franchise currently. To me, it seems like they're doing what's popular with the majority of the fanbase in order to make a profit, as opposed to say telling a genuinely good story a lot of the time, or at least, I think telling a good story, or making a good product are both coming second in this case to creating a profit. With this in mind, while there are a lot of staff that are heavily invested in DB(they wouldn't be working on it for 8 hours 6 days a week minimum if they weren't), I think the general creativity and originality of the franchise is being massively curbed by the desire to please the fans more than anything else.

Also, for reference, what do you think of the character art on the film poster? I think its at least massively better than the posters we got for ROF and BOG.