Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:05 am

I'm imagining how much people on the theathers would orgasm when hearing Broly again: "Me, a monster? No! I am a DEVIL HAHAHA!"

FortuneSSJ wrote:Can't wait to hear Goku saying he looks like Kale, because that will definitely happen. :lol:
Nah, Goku will probably not acknowledged Broly at first, but then the scene cuts to Gohan in shock wondering how he was still alive after being blasted to the sun.
sintzu wrote:If Broly can be bright back then nothing's off the table.
You mean Tarble, right?
Last edited by jeffbr92 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:06 am

TheMikado wrote:I wonder if people put this much effort into justifying Hollywood and TV execs “remaking” movies and tv shows on old concepts.

That’s not to say that the film can’t be fantastic, but let’s not act like it’s a totally original concept. It’s a remake. Plan and simple. It’s not a brand new concept or character or anything. It’s a retelling of a previous story and character.

Why can’t people acknowledge that it’s lazy and a cash grab, but the movie could also be spectacular. I’m a Broly fan but personally they won’t be getting any of my cash because I’m just because of the sheer laziness of the concept.
Absolutely. The force awakens was a rehash of a new hope and it made 2 billion dollars. Comics books do it all the time, hell marvel has rebooted spiderman like 4 times and batman has been rebooted.

and people do know that its cash grab, they just don't care and why should they, the movie is made for those that are excited for it.

To be blunt, its not for you.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:09 am

Dragono wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I wonder if people put this much effort into justifying Hollywood and TV execs “remaking” movies and tv shows on old concepts.

That’s not to say that the film can’t be fantastic, but let’s not act like it’s a totally original concept. It’s a remake. Plan and simple. It’s not a brand new concept or character or anything. It’s a retelling of a previous story and character.

Why can’t people acknowledge that it’s lazy and a cash grab, but the movie could also be spectacular. I’m a Broly fan but personally they won’t be getting any of my cash because I’m just because of the sheer laziness of the concept.
Absolutely. The force awakens was a rehash of a new hope and it made 2 billion dollars. Comics books do it all the time, hell marvel has rebooted spiderman like 4 times and batman has been rebooted.

and people do know that its cash grab, they just don't care and why should they, the movie is made for those that are excited for it.

Um you do know the force awakens is a sequel not a remake.... I think this is what I mean by using all kinds of mental gymnastics and disinformation to try to justify something.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: New movie announced for December 2018!

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:27 am

sintzu wrote:
Meshack wrote:
Noah wrote:I hope we see Broly in this movie, since you know... He is the Legendary Super Saiyan jk lol
Are you kidding me?
Probably. :lol:

To be fair though, we'll probably get Broly again sooner or later so don't completely rule him out. The only reason we haven't seen him yet is because of Toriyama but once he's done Toei will probably bring him back as he's their most popular villain.
Well this caught us all off guard! All bets for DB are off now at this point!

But I will say I doubt Toriyama would even consider Broly unless like he said he could do something interesting with him. So eff it I am in.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:34 am

TheMikado wrote:
Dragono wrote:

Um you do know the force awakens is a sequel not a remake.... I think this is what I mean by using all kinds of mental gymnastics and disinformation to try to justify something.
Its a damn remake. Any critic will tell you that. Its just called a sequel in name but in concept and execution, its a new hope.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:35 am

BrolyKale wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:He is. He never appeared in the main story, so he is new.
New to the characters. Not really to us.
He is also new to us... we don't know anything about him.
I agree with you there bud. This is supposed to be a TOTALLY new character. Being totally rewritten from scratch by the main man himself — Akira Toriyama. So the only thing that will be the same is the character’s name — Broly. And nothing else (Well, maybe his design might closely resemble his) but that’s about it. He can pretty much do whatever he likes with the character since it’s a recreation.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:38 am

I just realised that we still don't know what the actual plot for this film is, even with that new comment from Toriyama. All we know is that Broly's in it, Goku and Vegeta are gonna fight him, there's some stuff from the past and Freeza's involved. What's the actual story? :lol: Hopefully the upcoming trailer gives us an idea.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:43 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I just realised that we still don't know what the actual plot for this film is, even with that new comment from Toriyama. All we know is that Broly's in it, Goku and Vegeta are gonna fight him, there's some stuff from the past and Freeza's involved. What's the actual story? :lol: Hopefully the upcoming trailer gives us an idea.

A big plot twist of some kind would be great. For instance: the villain would eventually be someone else and Broly sacrifices himself to destroy him at the end.

sintzu
Banned

Re: New movie announced for December 2018!

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:46 am

TheMikado wrote:That’s not to say that the film can’t be fantastic, but let’s not act like it’s a totally original concept.
It's not original but for me at least, I'm looking at the doors this opens for the franchise moving forward. Now you've got a character who has an epic design and is a fighting wrecking ball but unlike before, he could have an interesting personality and backstory, essentially keeping what works and fixing what didn't. Now imagine that applied to other concepts such as GT. My biggest excitement is the potential this has to fix GT as that's the most flawed thing Toei made but it also has the most potential.

Imagine seeing Ssj4 in a quality fight like what we got in Super's episodes 130&131 ? Imagine the shadow dragons done right ? imagine seeing #17 move his brain into a Super #17 looking body to help everyone in a fight ?
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I will say I doubt Toriyama would even consider Broly unless like he said he could do something interesting with him. So eff it I am in.
Same here, we were told Toriyama got the final say in everything so if he's on board then I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:48 am

Looking at the commentary from Mr.Toriyama, if I were to guess the plot it would be something like:

- Goku and Vegeta training as per usual.
- Freeza doing stuff.
- Whis or someone hears it and leads to an investigation.
- Small battle between Freeza and his forces vs Goku, Vegeta and potential allies.
- Broly is discovered because of Freeza.
- Character reveals who he is.
- Easygoing moment.
- Cataclysm for final battle.
- Final Battle.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:52 am

LightBing wrote:Looking at the commentary from Mr.Toriyama, if I were to guess the plot it would be something like:

- Freeza doing stuff.
- Small battle between Freeza and his forces vs Goku, Vegeta and potential allies.
- Easygoing moment.
- Final Battle.
Lol, that sounds like almost all the DB movies. So sadly....you're probably right

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:00 am

I'm still in shock over this. It's going to be hard judging this without the baggage from the previous iteration of the character. Although I'm also optimistic considering this is being done from scratch by Toriyama.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:11 am

BrolyKale wrote:Also, this version of Broly is a new character because we have never seen him in the main story, its the first we will see him so its a completely new character even if his name is Broly. So people need to chill.
He is not a "new character" by any stretch of the definition. He's a recycled, rebooted old character we've seen a million times. I don't care even if the execution is better this time around. That's still lazy. TOEI have been using Broly as a crutch.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:13 am

LightBing wrote:Looking at the commentary from Mr.Toriyama, if I were to guess the plot it would be something like:

- Freeza doing stuff.
- Easygoing moment.
- Final Battle.
I hope thats the plot because that leavs room for execution.

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 am

sintzu wrote:
Melkaniator wrote: #1) This was the editor's idea not Akira's.
They've made it clear time and again that he gets the final say in what happens so he could've turned this down as he did many of their innital ideas.
Still not his idea, and that's what I going for.
Dragono wrote: Copying an idea and recycling an idea are the exact same thing because its not original.
Copying an idea is not "exactly the same" as recycling a character.
Dragono wrote: Second of all no, bog was an original villain
Not a villain.
Dragono wrote:
Dragon ball has always been a cash grab and toriyama never cared. he made super saiyan just so his assistant would have an easier time drawing.
Making their work a little easier doesn't mean anything, it's a business, duh, that was never put in doubt, but there was more to it clearly.

Now he just give ideas and Toei and Toyotaro fills the blanks, and when Toei fills the blanks with Trunks' SS BS, and BS-Dama, things are no good.
A Man named RJ wrote:So let me explain why this is such a stupid idea.

Dragon Ball has a massive ocean of ideas it can execute to stay fresh even within it's own damn lore.
That's beyond Dragon Ball team's brain power, they're more into what's "cool/in" instead of what would be "interesting/fresh".
ArchedThunder wrote: Toriyama already said he's rewritten Broly and that this movie is supposed to cover the back story of the Saiyans, so it's not like it's a total rehash.
Nobody's clamming is a total rehash, 97% know he'll be rearranged.

That's not the issue, it's still a recycled villain, the 2nd one in Akira's movies, he has created zero main villains in movies, and 1 in 131 episodes.

A world of new possibilities, and he chose to take the easy way out thanks to a suggestion.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:17 am

ZeroNeonix wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:Also, this version of Broly is a new character because we have never seen him in the main story, its the first we will see him so its a completely new character even if his name is Broly. So people need to chill.
He is not a "new character" by any stretch of the definition. He's a recycled, rebooted old character we've seen a million times. I don't care even if the execution is better this time around. That's still lazy. TOEI have been using Broly as a crutch.
You are totally right bro.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:24 am

Jord wrote:Lol, that sounds like almost all the DB movies. So sadly....you're probably right
The beginning and end are almost inescapable. Goku is bound to be training in peace time and the Final Battle is par the course in most medias, it's the culmination.
Still leaves room for a bunch of interesting stuff.
Dragono wrote:I hope thats the plot because that leavs room for execution.
Agreed. What I'm hopeful for is Freeza, I'm expecting him to be the MVP of the movie. Instead of blindly going after the Saiyans, he's actually using his brains. After seeing Kale he starts investigating, which reveals a bunch of information regarding the Saiyans. I just hope he doesn't get pounced by Broly. Either he never gets to him or tries recruiting him. Maybe building up a possible dilemma in the character, who at the end of the movie ponders if Freeza's way or Goku's way is his part forward.
Broly's contribution depends on how Mr.Toriyama re-wrote the character, looking at the poster with the Saiyan vessel at least I expect his origin in part to be the same.

We shall see.

Guesswhoo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Guesswhoo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:25 am

Only 3 character hold my spot for favorite in DB : Goten first, Broly then Krillin, so the only thing I can say is THANK YOU TOEI - TORIYAMA FOR THIS ! THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!.
Also, this interview from Toriyama really highlight one of the many thing I like from DB franchise in general : it doesn't want to pass up as a deep and symbolic original work yet there is an actual care and honesty (a lot of it) put inside. It's the constant mind game between the desire to appeal and the honesty of a work.
For all the people who call this unoriginal, rehashed and cashgrab idea, then you are (in my opinion) RIGHT ! Yet it is not in its purest form (like DB heroes); from what I know, Toriyama never tried to hide DB flaws to anyone, instead he lays them down on the table.
In resume:" if you don't like then you don't like" (but I hope you will).

Potara-Warrior96

Post by Potara-Warrior96 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:38 am

Don't know where the whole Broly has no personality came from(unless you confuse Broly for Jiren) since it was only in the Second Coming where Broly only said Kakkarot(and even then that's not fully true). In the first movie he was docile(due to his father controlling him) with only slight violent tendencies surfacing with Goku was in his presence(while his LSSJ form was a whole nother character entirely and was a sadistic badass with some kickass one-liners). It boggles me that fans fully accept the whole "crying baby" thing as a fact but have a hard believing Broly could be possibly suffering from PTSD due to being stabbed and left for dead on a dying planet. I mean Goku crying was the last thing he heard before he felt pain and because of that he associates Goku and anything Goku-related(Goten and Gohan) with danger. Plus we're not even getting into the fact that LSSJ form causes physical pain as evident by his body literally tear open with energy. Hopefully Akira Toriyama do Broly justice so we can forget about that door-mat of a character Kale and wet-blanket Jiren.

Also I love how people sit here say Super is a cashgrab now cause Brolys ascension into canon relevancy but didn't say that with SSJ Pallate Swap, Lakers Frieza, SSJ Rage drive, SSJ Champagne Rose, SSJ slightly darker Pallate, or SSJ Pallet Swap timed fusion.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:42 am

One thing I'm not quite getting in this discussion is the obsession over whether or not this idea is "original", as if being an original idea has any correlation to the movie being good. Of course, Broly is not new. He's been around for 25 years, so he's starting to move into "retro" territory now. Yet, that doesn't mean anything on how Toriyama's take on Broly is going to be. Bringing back Broly is pretty blatantly fan pandering, but wasn't bringing back Freeza fan pandering? Wasn't having a Super Saiyan God form just every fanfiction writer's dream? And both of those ended up way better than they had any right being. I'm not expecting the best DB movie ever with this one, but I am expecting it to be the best thing done with Broly ever.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.