Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Bullza » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:03 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Anyone want to place any bets on how the movie will perform in North America?
I'd like to assume it'd be even more successful, it'd actually be surprising if it wasnt because it already has two advantages over the last one.

1. Dragon Ball is more popular now than it was when Resurrection F came out.

2. It's only a month wait from the Japanese release as opposed to four months. Not a big deal as Resurrection F wasn't online by then but it's still an advantage.

The rest we'll have to see. Resurrection F only had a limited amount of days in release, on a set theatre count with a set amount of screenings per day.

If this movie can be in theatres longer, wider and with more showings a day then it will make more money. I'd imagine the advertisement will be greater too.

I'd be happy with anything over $10 million and I'd say $15 million would the limit.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:03 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Dragono wrote:
precita wrote:When the hell are Trunks and Goten going to get some focus. They were in a Broly movie!
Also the answer is right front of you: when they are popular enough to be.
Which they never will be, when they don't have relevant roles in the first place.
It would be fun to see some children violence like we had back in M10, but it would piss me off too see Goten and Trunks again with they same old brats designs.
Simere wrote:Beerus: “Hmm? But didn’t Freeza destroy Planet Vegeta, where the Saiyans were?”
Whis: “Yes, it was you who asked him to do that while you were sleeping, wasn’t it?”
Beerus: “Well, they pissed me off. Particularly that King Vegeta guy.”
And yet people says that BoG was perfect, this little bit kinda ruins Freeza character for me as everyone thought before that the reason behind him destroying Planet Vegeta as because of his fear of the Saiyans getting too strong for him to handle.
Last edited by jeffbr92 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:23 pm

It's interesting that they're getting a dubbed version of the movie out that early. It makes sense to be as quick as possible to capitalise as much as you can, but I don't see their run of the Super dub being done by then. I hear the dub hasn't reached the beginning of the Universe Survival arc yet, so that means there's another year to go if the pace is one episode a week... which, obviously, doesn't match up with January 2019. "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" is supposed to follow the ToP, and if the plot contains callbacks to parts of the ToP arc that haven't aired by then, it might spoil them (obviously it'll spoil that Universe 7 survives, but everyone knows that already). I guess the risk of spoiling the ToP is worth taking in Funimation's eyes?
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:28 pm

sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
It'd have to make 134 million to take the #10 spot, something I highly doubt it'll do.
I don't see why not right? DB is huge right now
BOG made 50 million while RF made 65. In order to make 134 it'd have to double what RF did, DB is big but not that big. One Piece's biggest movie made 85 and one piece is just as big as DB so doing something as big as 134 is a very tall order that'd take a lot more movies to build up to.
No way. One Piece i the biggest manga series in Japan, but it doesn’t compare to Dragon Ball when it comes to Worldwide popularity. I’d say DB is at least considerably bigger than One Piece. I believe that if they play their cards right, this movie could very well take the 10th spot at least. Between the small gap between movies releases in the world, the fact that the movie centers around DB’s most popular movie character, and that DBS is currently running all over the world and is even getting more screentime, they’re already doing things right. Now we need so actuall commercials for the movie that can be aired all over the world so that more casual fans know about the movie.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:30 pm

emperior wrote:Toriyama is rearranging some elements from the Broly movies. My idea is that he will keep:

- Broly being the Legendary Super Saiyan
- Paragus being his father
- Stabbed as a newborn as he is considered a threat
- Him escaping the Planet’s destruction (with the pod in the poster)
- Getting frozen for years
Seems good, but other thing I would like to have is he kill his own father. If not Paragus, someone else related to him to make it impactful.

This is the problem of rebooting something. Fans will inevitably compare both versions and the older version may still have its pros.
Toriyama said he will add a new side to Broly's character, but how different that will make him to be?! And how risky that may be for his fans?!

I didn't like to see the ruthless and badass Bardock that I saw first on Toei TV Special, acting like this in DB Minus by Toriyama:

A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:39 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I don't see why not right? DB is huge right now
BOG made 50 million while RF made 65. In order to make 134 it'd have to double what RF did, DB is big but not that big. One Piece's biggest movie made 85 and one piece is just as big as DB so doing something as big as 134 is a very tall order that'd take a lot more movies to build up to.
No way. One Piece i the biggest manga series in Japan, but it doesn’t compare to Dragon Ball when it comes to Worldwide popularity. I’d say DB is at least considerably bigger than One Piece. I believe that if they play their cards right, this movie could very well take the 10th spot at least. Between the small gap between movies releases in the world, the fact that the movie centers around DB’s most popular movie character, and that DBS is currently running all over the world and is even getting more screentime, they’re already doing things right. Now we need so actuall commercials for the movie that can be aired all over the world so that more casual fans know about the movie.
Yeah DBS has been airing for over 2 years and building in popularity for the majority of it's run. And DB is just straight up better than One Piece imo. It really depends to some extent on how good the marketing for the movie is.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:48 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
emperior wrote:
I didn't like to see the ruthless and badass Bardock that I saw first on Toei TV Special, acting like this in DB Minus by Toriyama:

Because apparently he cant have someone he cares about when hes not doing what he has to do?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Alruneia wrote:It's interesting that they're getting a dubbed version of the movie out that early. It makes sense to be as quick as possible to capitalise as much as you can, but I don't see their run of the Super dub being done by then. I hear the dub hasn't reached the beginning of the Universe Survival arc yet, so that means there's another year to go if the pace is one episode a week... which, obviously, doesn't match up with January 2019. "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" is supposed to follow the ToP, and if the plot contains callbacks to parts of the ToP arc that haven't aired by then, it might spoil them (obviously it'll spoil that Universe 7 survives, but everyone knows that already). I guess the risk of spoiling the ToP is worth taking in Funimation's eyes?
By now I'm sure everyone knows the major beats of what happened in the U.S arc. Shouldn't be too much of an issue.

FUNi have made similar decisions in the past, Fairy Tail they were 30+ dub episodes behind the current Japanese airing but decided to go ahead and start giving FT the Simuldub treatment despite being an entire arc behind.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:19 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Toriyama said he will add a new side to Broly's character, but how different that will make him to be?! And how risky that may be for his fans?!
Assuming Toriyama adds a more human side to Broly's character, I'm sure a fair amount of his fans wouldn't be on board with that at all since it could detract from those irredeemably sadistic traits that established him to be such a terrifying antagonist in his franchise debut. As someone who never liked Broly as a character from the start, I'm all for it, personally.

There isn't a single doubt in my mind that, regardless of whichever direction Toriyama takes with his approach to Broly's characterization and backstory, someone is going to be disappointed and someone else is going to love it. Just gotta roll with the punches.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Welp. This was on Ajay’s Twitter so I'm pretty sure its offical. I perceive this was “whoever isn’t on this power isn’t important (not counted the new saiyans that are been saved for reveals and Paragus)”. Its a surprise that Piccolo of all people is there but whatever. Important role incoming? And before anyone says, “maybe people like Gohan, Goten, etc are just being saved for reveals”, Bulma is at the bottom. So i think it means everyone else just isn’t important. And we see SSGod Goku.

I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Really like Broly's new clothes. His clothes look very similar to what the new characters are wearing, so it still fits with my theory that he's working for Freeza in this film. Also, SSJ God is in the movie!

A January North America theatrical release is fantastic news. It's safe to assume that Australia and New Zealand will get it around the same time since that happened with Resurrection 'F' as well.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:There isn't a single doubt in my mind that, regardless of whichever direction Toriyama takes with his approach to Broly's characterization and backstory, someone is going to be disappointed and someone else is going to love it. Just gotta roll with the punches.
Exactly. It doesn't matter what is done there will be people that love it and people that hate it. I would imagine this is going to be at least a fairly polarizing film

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:49 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:And we see SSGod Goku.
Okay, I'll admit I just fangasmed a bit. I'm hoping that's real, because I dig the return of Super Saiyan God as well as the Broly design.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:54 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
Okay, I'll admit I just fangasmed a bit. I'm hoping that's real, because I dig the return of Super Saiyan God as well as the Broly design.
It's definitely real. It's linked on the official website.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:57 pm

SSJG will be in it.. meh

Bulma and Piccolo will probably play an important role in this movie? Now that's good.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:57 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: It's definitely real. It's linked on the official website.
Shame it's in such a tiny format. Here's hoping we'll see a higher quality version soon.
Shaddy wrote:Broly's color scheme proves his dedication to Dragon Ball's legacy by giving us our daily dose.
Thanks, doc.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
That’s the ugliest poster I’ve ever seen and screams of being amateurish. I really hope it’s not real.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:00 pm

I don't think it's like, an actual movie poster, considering how fucking awesome the one we got was. Though, Broly's color scheme proves his dedication to Dragon Ball's legacy by giving us our daily dose, which isn't exactly a fun sign.

Also Bulma confirmed, but that's not a huge surprise.
Last edited by Shaddy on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Cool. SSG will be in the movie. Hoping to see UI in the movie too. I'm liking Broly's design too.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:02 pm

bleed0range wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:
That’s the ugliest poster I’ve ever seen and screams of being amateurish. I really hope it’s not real.
It's not a poster. It's an official sticker set that you can get by doing something through this website.