Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Dragon Wukong » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:05 pm

So it's looking like Broly's a part of Frieza's forces now. Or at least his backstory will involved having once been a member.

Him wearing the same clothes that the new Frieza Force members have (namely the shoes and armor) can't be a coincidence. Remember that Toriyama specifically designed Broly in movie 8 not to wear typical Saiyan armor because it was supplied by the Frieza Force and Broly had never been a part of it. So his update design means either

1. He's a part of the Frieza Force. I consider this the most likely option.
2. He used to be part of the Frieza Force. Semi-likely.
3. He stole the armor at some point. This is probably the least likely option however.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:17 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote:So it's looking like Broly's a part of Frieza's forces now. Or at least his backstory will involved having once been a member.
Yes, the only thing I dig about Broly new outfit is that resembles a Freeza/Saiyan armor
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Broly深蓝

Post by Broly深蓝 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:17 pm

A lot of catching up to do with this thread, I'm lost. But I predicted that something will happen with Broly's character months ago. After re-watching his first movie, I badly wanted him redone. If you were to make a set of all the dialogue he has, you probably could fit it all on one piece of paper.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Shounen wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Shounen wrote: OK, he talked about lssj. In Japanese there is no uppercase, so it doesn't matter at all. But that was about Kale, so it was not a coincidence.
You’re still wrong. He didn’t mention the TRANSFORMATION. Just like they’ve done many other times in dragon ball, they just used the adjective “legendary” to describe Kale’s power. They did not use legendary as if Goku was saying the title of a form. And of course out of any adjective they could have used, they used to word legendary as homage to the movie form LSSJ. So no. The transformation of LSSJ was NEVER mentioned in Super.
Do I say anything about "transformation" word? Goku said "伝説の超サイヤ人" which means either ordinary legendarny Super Saiyan or transformation name. That's all.
You said LSSJ. That abbreviation means the transformation Legendary Super Saiyan. Thats common knowledge in the db community. It makes everything comnplicated but thats how its always been.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote:So it's looking like Broly's a part of Frieza's forces now. Or at least his backstory will involved having once been a member.

Him wearing the same clothes that the new Frieza Force members have (namely the shoes and armor) can't be a coincidence. Remember that Toriyama specifically designed Broly in movie 8 not to wear typical Saiyan armor because it was supplied by the Frieza Force and Broly had never been a part of it. So his update design means either

1. He's a part of the Frieza Force. I consider this the most likely option.
2. He used to be part of the Frieza Force. Semi-likely.
3. He stole the armor at some point. This is probably the least likely option however.
Lol. I have your three ideas but in reverse. Going off of what we have, nothing we know suggests that Broly WOULD join the Freeza Force. That would be an idea purely based off the fact that he has Freeza Force armor. And same with your second idea, nothing we know suggests that Broly WAS even apart of the Freeza Force at a time. That would also be purely based off the fact that he has FF armor.

The 3rd idea does have some info that suggests its relevance. On the poster, we see that Broly is seemingly wearing a golden ring around his neck and a brown-ish pelt around his waist. Based off of that, it seems like he’s more of a primal, more ancient saiyan. In the theater pamphlet for the movie that was released a while back, we got a silhouette of Broly still seemingly in his poster clothes on either a Planet or an area of ice on Earth. So maybe Broly was an ancient saiyan judging by his clothes, and he somehow got stranded and stuck in the ice of an ice planet or Earth which would explain how he’s lived for so long. If we assume it was an ice planet that he got stranded on, then it could be that after his escape from the ice, he was confronted by some Freeza Force soldiers, made quick work of them, and stole their clothes for warmth.

Of course all 3 ideas ave very little evidence backing them up so we’ll need to wait for more info
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Has anyone talked about Super Saiyan God Goku being in this movie?
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Bergamo wrote:Has anyone talked about Super Saiyan God Goku being in this movie?
If it's not an exclusive for the stickers he won't use it for very long. If it's in it'll be a good chance to have Vegeta use it as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:03 pm

sintzu wrote:
Bergamo wrote:Has anyone talked about Super Saiyan God Goku being in this movie?
If it's not an exclusive for the stickers he won't use it for very long. If it's in it'll be a good chance to have Vegeta use it as well.
We also got a look at Broly's design, and I'm honestly not a fan of the purple tights.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Bergamo wrote:
sintzu wrote:
We also got a look at Broly's design, and I'm honestly not a fan of the purple tights.
It does look a bit off but that could be because of how familiar we are with his original design and the quality if the image. I'm hoping it'll look better once we see it on motion.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:22 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:I don't expect we're going to see anything beyond Goku/Vegeta/probably Freeza vs Broly. The more I hear about this, the more it feels like it's just going to be another back-to-basics slobberknocker featuring the only characters Toriyama cares about, plus one new villain (well, new to him anyway). The big hook aside from that is some new Saiyan/Freeza lore and the rebooted Broly.

The anomaly is Piccolo being marketed, but I think that's just because he's like the third most iconic character behind Goku and Vegeta, even if he hasn't done anything notable in forever. But I don't expect Gohan, Bulma, Goten or Trunks to be anything more than extras. Any of the new Super characters like Hit, Jiren, Cabba, Caulifla, etc. is a huge stretch. And Broly's appearance rules Kale right out, she'd be too much of an elephant in the room to have just as a side-character.
Gohan is more iconic that Piccolo IMO or at least more popular. I don’t see the logic that since Broly is in, Kale is out. If anything, the presence of Broly heightens Kale’s chnaces. It brings out the possibility of a fan-service fight of Kale vs Broly, since Broly can use SSBerserk, Goku and Vegeta can bring up Kale as a reference to the form and since their movie is also about the origins of the saiyans’ power, we could get an origin for the power of SSBerserk. This is all important to Kale as much as it would be to Broly.
I don't know about that. I feel like when you think of the Z-warriors, or at least the most popular image of them, you think Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan (usually in his Cell saga design), then either Future Trunks or Krillin, in that order. Piccolo and Gohan are both top-tier characters, but he's iconic in a way Adult Gohan isn't quite. Even though Piccolo's relevance ended years ago, he's still one of the biggest points of reference for the series. You could say the same about Freeza, except he actually came back.

And make no mistake, we're definitely getting Kale v Broly fanservice at some point in the future. Just not in a Toriyama feature that seems to be entirely focused on Goku, Vegeta and Freeza. Even a reference to Kale might be a bit much to hope for since he had barely anything to do with her. With all this movie is aiming to be (Freeza/Saiyan origin story plus Broly reboot) there just isn't enough room to include U6 as well. Which is disappointing, I'd have liked to see that mob again, but I don't know if Toriyama gave much thought to them outside designing them. Hell, I have a sneaking suspicion we might not even see Ultra Instinct.

Kale v Broly is territory for the video games, and possibly the TV show when it comes back. When she gets announced for FighterZ, the first image of her and Broly doing the match reset clash will blow up the internet.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:43 pm

If Broly dies in the movie than Kale won't meet him anyway, assuming no U6 characters appear in this.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:46 pm

sintzu wrote:It does look a bit off but that could be because of how familiar we are with his original design and the quality if the image. I'm hoping it'll look better once we see it on motion.
You can actually see those colors in the teaser. I think it looks pretty good there. Not so much on the sticker, though, for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0A0Rp45wTs

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Is anyone dreading the possibility of seeing a bunch of “Is Broly stronger than Beerus or Jiren” debates as a result of this movie? Assuming Ultra Instinct shows up in this film, I have a feeling we’ll be seeing a lot of arguments like that.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:02 pm

As much as I hate them, there's pretty much no way anything would stop discourse like that from happening no matter what characters or transformations showed up.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:16 pm

This new movie has brought many possibilities for Broly.

1. Like the monster of the week, he get thrashed by UI Goku and die

2. He becomes good but dies by sacrificing himself

3. He becomes good and joins the Z Fighters

4. He becomes good but becomes a nomad who just travels the universe. He’s not a Z-Fighter but he’s always left for Toei to pull into a main story arc. Basically the type of character who would make a surprise appearance to save the day at the end of an episode after we haven’t seen them in a while.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:41 pm

I REALLY hope that he has a tail because i would be pissed if they changed it last second because in the leaflet its there versus that promo image/sticker sheet where he doesn't have it :| .
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:57 pm

sintzu wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
sintzu wrote:
It does look a bit off but that could be because of how familiar we are with his original design and the quality if the image. I'm hoping it'll look better once we see it on motion.
In my opinion Broly always looked better when he wasn't buff. His Movie 10 regular Super Saiyan design is actually one of the best in the entire franchise, really. As it stands, I also prefer his old buff design to the new one, but even if it doesn't look that great in the HQ version of the image, I'm much more interested in his regular one, especially since the poster and the teaser look promising and pretty fresh. If that looks cool, I'm fine with disliking the buff one, since that's been my status quo for as long as Broly existed anyway :lol:
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Anyone care to take a stab at the plot?

My guess is that Freeza will appear and mention to one of his subordinates something like, “I saw something in that Tournament of Power I’ve seen before...” and it’ll cut to a flashback of Broly as a young member of the Freeza Force who was becoming increasingly difficult to control. Freeza forces King Vegeta to banish him because he fears his power and so they send him off to a frozen planet where he becomes frozen in ice. Freeza kills Paragus himself when he tries to intervene.

Freeza decides he will go look for him because now that he has his golden form, it should be sufficient power to control Broly and he would make a fine addition to the Freeza force to help him regain control over the universe.

Freeza finds him but is quickly overwhelmed by his power and Goku/Vegeta and Beerus/Whis feel his power while training. Beerus laments perhaps Goku was not the SSJ God he was looking for at all and maybe it’s this Broly. They all go to this planet looking for a good fight.

Broly turns out to be insane but also safistically hate his own heritage because the saiyans turned on him and cast him away. His scar is from the betrayal.

Anyway, they fight but he turns good at the end and he can now be in Super when it comes back whenever they need a good sto- I mean sales boost in merchandise.

lordsigma

Post by lordsigma » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:57 pm

I'm not a fan of this movie concept. I always thought Broly was kind of an overrated character and was overused. Hopefully those that like the character will enjoy.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:49 pm

sintzu wrote:
There’s no reason why Vegeta can’t show it off in the movie!either. I don’t think they’ll give it to him in the anime continuity though