Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:51 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:I'm happy to see Paragus, and hoping he has some kind of combat role this time around, even if minor. His new design is not what I expected but i really like it. Cool to see his tail poking out as well.
He is wearing a long skirt I doubt he's gonna do any combatting.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Dragono » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Melkaniator wrote:
Dragono wrote: People will write you off that way.
Good thing I don't care about your opinion then.

Why would I?

You defend Akira's stagnant ideas while trying to change facts.
BrolyKale wrote:I explained why Broly could be interesting and why he was completely new.
You're failing to understand the term "completely".
sintzu wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:Suggest Akira to create something completely new, make DB reach new heights, be way more than it is.
Like Beerus, the destroyers, the angles, zeno, & Zamasu to name a few ?
A few?

The only good example is Zamasu.

He's the only main villain there.
sintzu wrote:
Saiga wrote:If I were in charge, I wouldn't be suggesting concepts to Toriyama based on how popular or marketable they are.

It's not like Toriyama used Broly because he had some burning passion for the character. He was suggested to do it and decided to go along with it.
If you were in charge your #1 priority would be to bring in as much $$$ as possible
Broly is still requested on any DB game, he will make money regardless, it's time for something new.

It's okay if you are conformist with whatever Akira/Toei delivers, I'm not, I want something new.

More main villains would've brought more money in the end, that's simple math.
Yet, you are the one who says beerus isn't a villain.

If you don't like the way dragon ball is going, then leave. No one will care.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:11 pm

Melkaniator wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:I'm just wondering if Toriyama doesn't say "Goku goes kaioken"
Nah, he won't mention stuff that's not his.
Dragono wrote: Beerus did not want to destroy Earth because it was his job, he wanted to do it because he didn't get pudding.
He's entitled to it, since destroying planets IS HIS JOB.

That he's childish about it doesn't change that.
Dragono wrote: This is all i need to know, you know very little about what you are talking about.
Says the guy that claims Beerus as a villain.
jeffbr92 wrote:Funny hearing some people opinions insisting that Broly again is almost like getting another antagonist like Jiren.

Really? Jiren is stoic and has a bland personality, Broly is a bloodlusted manic who suffers with schizophrenia.
Broly didn't had that much going for him, but he's way more entertaining than Mr. "10 months to know me".
jeffbr92 wrote:Also Broly is a Saiyan which is a plus (since the series is long time about this great warrior race), so you have more interest about him than Jiren whatever race or such.
Having a new movie with a new saiya-jin is not a plus, is stagnant.

We're even getting another saiya-jin in Super Dragon Ball Heroes anime.
No, he is entitled to destroying a planet to create life, not because it pisses him off. Its an evil action to destroy something because it angers you. that makes him a villain.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Dragono wrote:No, he is entitled to destroying a planet to create life, not because it pisses him off. Its an evil action to destroy something because it angers you. that makes him a villain.
Even King Kai says that Beerus isn't evil. He's a god, a force of nature. Destruction is a necessary part of the balance, although Beerus kinda sucks at his job. Then again, so does the Supreme Kai (who didn't even know who his boss was), so it's no wonder Universe 7 has one of the lowest mortal ratings in all the universes.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Really REALLY hope they aren’t recycling the movie 8 mind control plot. My hype will be gone.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:35 pm

Yeeeah not digging Purplegus here. If that robe was maybe a different color, even a different purple, I'd be okay, but that's not a good look. If they're really serving under Frieza as it looks, then it's not senseless, but I don't particularly enjoy it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:I'm happy to see Paragus, and hoping he has some kind of combat role this time around, even if minor. His new design is not what I expected but i really like it. Cool to see his tail poking out as well.
It could (hopefully) is removable as I'd love to see an old Saiyan kick some ass with all his old Saiyan wisdom. :mrgreen: I also wouldn't mind him and Roshi having a talk. :lol:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:57 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Dragono wrote:No, he is entitled to destroying a planet to create life, not because it pisses him off. Its an evil action to destroy something because it angers you. that makes him a villain.
Even King Kai says that Beerus isn't evil. He's a god, a force of nature. Destruction is a necessary part of the balance, although Beerus kinda sucks at his job. Then again, so does the Supreme Kai (who didn't even know who his boss was), so it's no wonder Universe 7 has one of the lowest mortal ratings in all the universes.
I never said beerus was evil but his action is because its not justified. he did not want to destroy earth because of its job, but because of his selfish desire.

By this logic, zamasu isn't evil since he is a kaioshin and its his job to judge life.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:58 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Yes, he is not evil if he does it the way he should do. If he does it out of a whim or other personal reasons, like he does, being mad, being disappointed, not getting what he wants, etc. he is evil (or a villain if you like that word more) nonetheless. Also this "he is a god, it is his job, balance of the universe, yadayadayada" does not change the fact that he, a person, observed in a fairly standard moral system of those who died because of him, he is evil nonetheless. He is a person that ends their life, he is clearly a threat that is aware of ending other sentient life and it is understandable because just because someone says "well, gotta destroy you" I'm not okay with it saying "it's cool, bro. gotta do your job". Beerus the way he is right now is less evil but who knows what he is acting like later.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:03 pm

I love Paragus’ new design. He is everything I always imagined a old Saiyan to look like. It seems like Toriyama is keeping lots of things from Movie 8. I am now quite sure that Broly and Paragus have almost the same backstory they had in the old movie, although I think Broly’s hatred for Goku will be cut.

Broly looks awesome too, of course. It’s incredible how close Shintani’s style is to Toriyama’s. I am so glad modern Dragon Ball has gotten its look renowned like this. It looks old-school yet modern, which is exactly what I wanted.
We are getting the trailer in around 30 hours, and I am super hyped. We will alao be able to understand a little more of the story too, thanks to the trailer, I think.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:07 pm

sintzu wrote:I also wouldn't mind him and Roshi having a talk. :lol:
Why stop there when Roshi vs Paragus is a possibility and an epic one at that!
Though I would rather have Roshi finish what he started with Broly earlier
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:12 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Is there a translation?
I thought that was new baby Vegeta for a second, lol.
Anyway, how old is Paragus? I wonder.

One thing I have to say is that they have been incredibly inconsistent with the scar on Brolys face for whatever reason.

Geraldix

Post by Geraldix » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:27 pm

A few thoughts on Broly's new design(s):

- New base form looks boring af when compared to the original design, which had unique eyes and hair and a controlling device shaped more like jewelry. Like people here already said, this looks like fanart or a generic game character.

- "Fake SSJ" form looks AWESOME with the golden pupils, I'm really eager to see it in action!

- SSJ form looks just as boring as base, save for the absense of pupils which always looks nice.

- LSSG looks fine, and I'm happy that this time around Broly's arms ain't 2x the size they should be.

- Woah, 4 forms for Broly alone?! Is TOEI trying to kill Toriyama from exaustion or something? :lol:

- I'm curious to see the explanation behind Broly and Paragus using Freeza's armors. I'm already preparing myself to what will be possibly a shitty plot, tho.

- Not sure I like the new green + purple color scheme. White + red + gold looked way better. People will have a hard time trying to convince me that this ain't, as someone pointed out, a reference to the INCREDIBLE HULK, which would be INCREDIBLY silly.

- For those who are still hoping they will see Toriyama's take on SSJ4 or whatever in this movie, hear me out: not only you will, but you have already! That green fur isn't there only to match LSSJ's hair. I's say it belonged to a LSSJ Oozaru. Maybe it is a ancient trophy taken from Yamoshi's dead body or maybe it is from Broly's own tail, cutted off to revert his transformation. Maybe he wears it to remember himself of something bad he did while in Oozaru form, like killing someone he cared about? Anyway, making a SSJ4 reference by showing Oozaru fur being used as garment would be a too damn perfect example of Toriyama's trademark "clever laziness" not to be true, IMHO. You read it here first! 8)

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
tell that to the japanese fighters of old who wore hakama, and tien in revival of F

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:43 pm

I think whats cool here is that paragus looks older, and I'm glad, considering this is how many years after the last movie could have taken place? whats that nearly 14 years post cell at least?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:59 pm

emperior wrote:It’s incredible how close Shintani’s style is to Toriyama’s. I am so glad modern Dragon Ball has gotten its look renowned like this. It looks old-school yet modern, which is exactly what I wanted.
Hopefully they keep him and his style in the anime once it returns as it's going to be hard to go back to what we had before after getting this jump in quality.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Cetra wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:
Yes, he is not evil if he does it the way he should do. If he does it out of a whim or other personal reasons, like he does, being mad, being disappointed, not getting what he wants, etc. he is evil (or a villain if you like that word more) nonetheless. Also this "he is a god, it is his job, balance of the universe, yadayadayada" does not change the fact that he, a person, observed in a fairly standard moral system of those who died because of him, he is evil nonetheless. He is a person that ends their life, he is clearly a threat that is aware of ending other sentient life and it is understandable because just because someone says "well, gotta destroy you" I'm not okay with it saying "it's cool, bro. gotta do your job". Beerus the way he is right now is less evil but who knows what he is acting like later.
He may have evil actions but his job title gives him the ability to to be above that. He is allowed to do as he pleases but Whis is there to help keep him in check.

If you say that all of his actions are not evil just because he is a God than you give Zamasu the right to kill all mortals without technically being evil. It doesn’t make sense.

Goku says that they can use them as pawns “for now” during the TOP I think because he is aware that these Gods are flawed and vain creatures with too much power. Much like the Greek Gods of our own world.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:08 pm

I am more interested in what Paragus's role will be, if that indeed is a scientist uniform of freeza force then Paragus will be the proof that Saiyans too had geniuses who were into things other than battle, just like Gohan
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:17 pm

Akira Toriyama said that he watched movies with Broly, now I wonder if he will bring back scared Vegeta "oh no, we don't stand a chance, this is Legendary Super Saiyan". It was so out of character but I have a weird feeling that Toriyama might actually like it :lol:

By the way, are they gonna retell this movie in DBS anime? What do you think? I hope they won't.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Mnich wrote:Akira Toriyama said that he watched movies with Broly, now I wonder if he will bring back scared Vegeta "oh no, we don't stand a chance, this is Legendary Super Saiyan". It was so out of character but I have a weird feeling that Toriyama might actually like it :lol:

By the way, are they gonna retell this movie in DBS anime? What do you think? I hope they won't.
He didn't react that way to Kale using the same transformation. I mean, he warned Goku to be cautious, but he wasn't afraid to fight her. Why would he be more intimidated when Broly does the same thing?