Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:15 am

Honestly, this trailer was pretty hype. Lots I love
-Broly vs Frieza. That's gonna be epic. Though I hope they don't kill off Frieza again
-The animation looks stunning. So fluid and intense with little details to love both in the foreground and background
-There seems to be an underlying hidden narrative they are giving hints toward regarding the whole "History of the Saiyans" that has me very curious

Only things that have me worried
-The movie being a retread of M8
-....Broly was thrashing around Post-ToP SSB Goku and Vegeta...in his base form...this really makes me think we're gonna see Mastered UI...but how strong are they making this guy!?

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:19 am

The trailer had me confused throughout. Why is SSJB Goku fighting base Broly? Why do they keep showing shots of baby Saiyans? Who was the Saiyan that landed next to that pod with Paragus?

But the things that got me hyped was Frieza vs Broly and LSSJ Broly rising up.

Also the animation I'm not a big fan of. I like the anime show style better.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:29 am

KingKaash wrote:The trailer had me confused throughout. Why is SSJB Goku fighting base Broly? Why do they keep showing shots of baby Saiyans? Who was the Saiyan that landed next to that pod with Paragus?

Well since they said it's exploring the history of the Saiyans, for all we know that was a young King Vegeta with young Paragus.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:30 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote:
KingKaash wrote:The trailer had me confused throughout. Why is SSJB Goku fighting base Broly? Why do they keep showing shots of baby Saiyans? Who was the Saiyan that landed next to that pod with Paragus?

Well since they said it's exploring the history of the Saiyans, for all we know that was a young King Vegeta with young Paragus.
Oooh now that would be highly interesting :o
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:49 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:But it won't stop Dragon Ball Minus itself from being terrible.
You realize that's just your opinon, right? It's not a fact.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:51 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote:Well since they said it's exploring the history of the Saiyans, for all we know that was a young King Vegeta with young Paragus.
Perhaps King Vegeta and Paragus used to be partners. They could be setting up a relationship between Vegeta and Broly via their fathers.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:58 am

Watch for Vegeta and Frieza to take big L's in this movie. The producer did say he only wants us to focus on what happens to Goku since it's his story. I expect to see MUI again. Broly will be equal to or stronger than Jiren.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:05 am

alakazam^ wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:But it won't stop Dragon Ball Minus itself from being terrible.
You realize it's patently ridiculous to expect people to preface every statement they make with "This is just my opinion, but..." right? Don't expect people to tiptoe around your feelings by putting such disclaimers on their opinions. If that comes off as harsh, it's only because I've been on these boards for almost a decade, and it continues to flabbergast me that people continually trot out this "defense" like it's some kind of mind-blowing premise rather than the tautological nonsense it is. That it's my opinion is very obviously implied, and this is a game I'm not going to play with you or anyone else.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:09 am

Not too happy about the inclusion of Minus elements, since minus itself conflicts with the story and imbues a level of importance and weight on Bardock and his family (which is the opposite of what it should do), but when it comes down to this movie and it's own execution that's not really a major factor.

As for the trailer itself, I'm incredibly excited. Not just because this shows that Dragon Ball's aesthetic direction is massively, massively improved (and for at least these designs hopefully will continue to be for whenever it's eventually brought back to tv), but also because the movie looks to have a LOT of shit going on. Bulma in a suit of some sort in like a volcano, that dragon ball getting dropped into a ravine, Frieza and his soldiers up to some shit, with Broly and Purplegus maybe up to some other shit, and all with what's gonna be the coolest action this series ever sees. I can't wait. This is the Sonic Mania of Dragon ball.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:12 am

Something that was weird for me was Freeza amused by seeing another powerful Saiyan? I mean don't he despise them? I would expect Freeza to kill Broly not try to recruit him.
alakazam^ wrote:
It is a fact, actually.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:35 am

Shaddy wrote: I can't wait.
It is going to be a very hard 5 months.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:40 am

One thing I noticed is that when Broly has that metal collar on he has black eyes, but when he's not wearing it his eyes are gold. I'm still trying to figure out if the metal collar controls him or it suppresses his power from going berserk. Could be both. Could be neither.

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:48 am

Hot damn, this trailer looks so good. It actually looks like a movie, unlike RoF which just looked like shit. Some of the shots here are absolutely fantastic, like Broly crashing into Vegeta and that giant explosion around the 1:05 mark. I hope this movie goes on to become a modern anime classic. I'm not actually annoyed by the Dragon Ball Minus stuff (which is ironic considering I'm usually a cynical asshole about these things), I think I just expected that they were gonna bring it up in the anime eventually.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:00 am

Not much more I can say that hasn't already been said. The trailer was raw sex and I want want want them to keep this art style for all future projects in the franchise.

I'm still a little disappointed about the lack of focus on characters outside Goku, Vegeta and Freeza, but I'm getting over it. I think Vegeta's smirk when blocking Broly's attack was what sold it. His atrocious handling in the Universe Survival arc really soured me on him, but I think the last two movies have shown Toriyama has a better handle on him than many of Toei's writers. It looks like he might not have a stick up his arse for most of the film.

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:07 am

Paragus' design doesn't really make any sense. He's a Saiyan so unless he's like 80, he shouldn't have any gray hair nor look old

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:19 am

Jean0987654321 wrote:Paragus' design doesn't really make any sense. He's a Saiyan so unless he's like 80, he shouldn't have any gray hair nor look old
Goku is a grandfather. Paragus is old enough to be Goku's dad. He is old.

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:07 am

As much as I love Broly's new designs, I have to say that I miss Broly's weird old blue-haired Super Saiyan form. Sure it wouldn't make much sense nowadays since there's an actual blue-haired Super Saiyan form now, but I'll be damned if it didn't look good.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:37 am

The focus on the Saiyan baby and its tail in the end looks to be set in a lab. Could Broly not be Paragus' son but something he "created" in a lab as some kind of experiment ?
perucho1990 wrote:Congrats to the manga for being canon.
The manga is already getting its own version of the story that'll be different so until Super retells it this is canon to the anime (even when that happens the majority will probably just stick with the movie).
Last edited by sintzu on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:42 am

It looks like it'll be fun, the animation looks great by the art work looks a bit dodgy.

It's trending in the UK though.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:36 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:However, if this movie somehow manages to turn those story bullet points into something engaging, I will certainly concede that.
The whole point of Minus was to show the circumstances that led to Goku being sent away to Earth, which is something that directly ties to Jaco's series (hence why it's part of it) and by extension, Dragon Ball.

That its purpose and that what Toriyama set out to do. People are entitled not to like it, but to judge it as if it should be something else entirely, have a (dramatic) story arc, or be something akin to the TV special like a story about Bardock or his last stand against Freeza, is unfair. That wasn't the point of it. If anything, it leaves room for that story to be told later on as he sees fit, which is a bonus. I hope he takes that opportunity with this movie since I find the title character to be the least exciting thing about it.