Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:10 am

Noah wrote:You guys think Ultra Instinct will show up despite not having designs of it? (yet)
I think there's a 60% chance it'll show up while the other 40% going to Gogeta. The reason I say this is because the movie's main figures have been announced with nothing regarding UI Goku but there are 2 secret "New" characters which could point to Gogeta. There's also Fusion reborn being shown in the US alongside Bardock and Broly's movies.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:41 am

Noah wrote:You guys think Ultra Instinct will show up despite not having designs of it? (yet)
Odds of UI showing up are decreasing every time we get merch news for the movie. Right now it's probably at 10% of showing up because if it is in the film it would definitely be in the Ichiban Kuji figure line up over SSGSS Goku.

But that said they very good well be saving UI for January, in that case we'll have to wait until next month once January merch news starts dropping. If there is still no sign of UI Goku then we know it ain't gonna show up.

We also still have a movie WCF set (of 6) to be revealed (so far only one has been and it's a KV1 Goku) for December.

User avatar
Vados_chan
Banned
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:50 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Vados_chan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:44 am

Aren't we getting some new images this week or soon?

User avatar
GodVegetto91
I Live Here
Posts: 2237
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:54 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Noah wrote:You guys think Ultra Instinct will show up despite not having designs of it? (yet)
Odds of UI showing up are decreasing every time we get merch news for the movie. Right now it's probably at 10% of showing up because if it is in the film it would definitely be in the Ichiban Kuji figure line up over SSGSS Goku.

But that said they very good well be saving UI for January, in that case we'll have to wait until next month once January merch news starts dropping. If there is still no sign of UI Goku then we know it ain't gonna show up.

We also still have a movie WCF set (of 6) to be revealed (so far only one has been and it's a KV1 Goku) for December.
We can draw NO conclusions from anything other than having seen the full movie.
“The fool looks to God outside him. The wise understands that God is within him.”

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3061
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:56 am

Helios518 wrote:It's still definitely a possibility. I don't understand the people that believe that UI, SSBKK, and SSBE aren't going to show up because of no designs (yet/shown). If that logic was followed, then the only characters are going to be shown are Whis, Broli, Beerus Goku, Vegeta, Paragus, Freeza, Piccolo Freeza henchmen and Bulma, but Bulma shouldn't even be shown because we've never seen her sheet.
And Golden Frieza. I do want to see the sheets for Golden Frieza to see if they kept that ugly mustard color for his arms and legs. :lol:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Odds of UI showing up are decreasing every time we get merch news for the movie. Right now it's probably at 10% of showing up because if it is in the film it would definitely be in the Ichiban Kuji figure line up over SSGSS Goku.

But that said they very good well be saving UI for January, in that case we'll have to wait until next month once January merch news starts dropping. If there is still no sign of UI Goku then we know it ain't gonna show up.

We also still have a movie WCF set (of 6) to be revealed (so far only one has been and it's a KV1 Goku) for December.
You think they're taking any extra steps to avoid spoilers in the merchandising this time? UI did get leaked slightly beforehand by that Vegeta Heroes card, but only by a couple dads.

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 4039
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by emperior » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:25 am

We still haven’t seen sheets for the bob cut haired Freeza force member, for Bulma, for young Paragus, for Paragus’ Saiyan friend in the flashback, for Golden Freeza, for the armored guys with Paragus, for baby Broly, for baby Goku and Bardock (Minus flashback), for battle damaged Goku (and Vegeta too, as he’s most likely getting damaged too) etcetera.
Toriyama has designed a lot of characters, objects and even 1-2 new planets, and we haven’t seen them yet: does it mean they are lying?
They aren’t spoiling the whole movie just now, so please stop with these ridiculous claims that UI Goku isn’t in because he hasn’t been shown - and the same applies for Kaioken and Evolution. For all we know, Vegeta too might achieve UI this time.
Do not draw conclusions. Merchandise doesn’t mean shit to be honest, we don’t know what their plans are.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

User avatar
Gt91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:11 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Gt91 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:56 am

Two new secret characters? My bet is on blue/UI gogeta and a new trasformation for broly (beyond LSSj)

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:19 am

emperior wrote:Do not draw conclusions. Merchandise doesn’t mean shit to be honest, we don’t know what their plans are.
I'm not much of a merch follower for anything, much less DB stuff, but I do distinctly remember Blue being revealed through merchandise as a keychain well before we got any real animation for it.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:29 am

emperior wrote:We still haven’t seen sheets for the bob cut haired Freeza force member, for Bulma, for young Paragus, for Paragus’ Saiyan friend in the flashback, for Golden Freeza, for the armored guys with Paragus, for baby Broly, for baby Goku and Bardock (Minus flashback), for battle damaged Goku (and Vegeta too, as he’s most likely getting damaged too) etcetera.
Toriyama has designed a lot of characters, objects and even 1-2 new planets, and we haven’t seen them yet: does it mean they are lying?
They aren’t spoiling the whole movie just now, so please stop with these ridiculous claims that UI Goku isn’t in because he hasn’t been shown - and the same applies for Kaioken and Evolution. For all we know, Vegeta too might achieve UI this time.
Do not draw conclusions. Merchandise doesn’t mean shit to be honest, we don’t know what their plans are.
It does mean shit actually. It was what inadvertently gave away Goku and Vegeta had new forms MONTHS before the leak in 2015, it was what gave away Mastered Ultra Instinct will look different and plenty of people scoffed at that and guess what? It was different. Through drawing conclusions from merchandise gave away Vegetto Blue (RF outfit) was likely to appear in SDBH guess what? That is what exactly happened.
BlueBasilisk wrote: You think they're taking any extra steps to avoid spoilers in the merchandising this time? UI did get leaked slightly beforehand by that Vegeta Heroes card, but only by a couple dads.
For UI Bandai/Banpresto did everything in their power to hide it I was impressed, suspect they'll be similarly cautious here. Looks like the two "mysterious" characters will be the spoilers for this movie as opposed to forms interestingly enough the Ichiban Kuji begins early December which does mean they will have to be revealed formally before and November V Jump makes the most sense.
Gt91 wrote:Two new secret characters? My bet is on blue/UI gogeta and a new trasformation for broly (beyond LSSj)
It is probably not a new stronger form for Broly. Full Power Broly (LSS) is the A Prize, LO (last one) Prize and DC (double chance) Prize they usually only do that for the strongest forms. Plus if it was Broly they'd most likely label it as Broly anyway either flat out saying new form or provisional (like with UI Goku they called it "New form Son Goku provisional")
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 4039
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by emperior » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:31 am

Would you guys like it if Toriyama boards some parts of the movies, like gags and some fights?
I absolutely love his choreography, it’s one of the main reasons why Dragon Ball became so popular, so I would be absolutely happy if he could provide storyboards himself or at least give more advice about the storyboard in general. They said that this time he’s more involved than ever, which makes me hopeful. At the very least, I expect him to detail how each fight goes, as he did in Resurrection F.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:41 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
emperior wrote:Do not draw conclusions. Merchandise doesn’t mean shit to be honest, we don’t know what their plans are.
I'm not much of a merch follower for anything, much less DB stuff, but I do distinctly remember Blue being revealed through merchandise as a keychain well before we got any real animation for it.
And months before even that it was known Goku and Vegeta would get new forms since solicited figures for the pair weren't being shown and being blanked whenever other ResF figures were shown. So this inadvertently gave away that Vegeta and Goku were going to get new forms in the film and that is what exactly happened.

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3061
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:04 am

emperior wrote:Would you guys like it if Toriyama boards some parts of the movies, like gags and some fights?
I absolutely love his choreography, it’s one of the main reasons why Dragon Ball became so popular, so I would be absolutely happy if he could provide storyboards himself or at least give more advice about the storyboard in general. They said that this time he’s more involved than ever, which makes me hopeful. At the very least, I expect him to detail how each fight goes, as he did in Resurrection F.
I'd love it if he boarded some gags. He's one of the few writers that can make me laugh at a poop joke. :lol:

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:57 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Noah wrote:You guys think Ultra Instinct will show up despite not having designs of it? (yet)
Odds of UI showing up are decreasing every time we get merch news for the movie. Right now it's probably at 10% of showing up because if it is in the film it would definitely be in the Ichiban Kuji figure line up over SSGSS Goku.

But that said they very good well be saving UI for January, in that case we'll have to wait until next month once January merch news starts dropping. If there is still no sign of UI Goku then we know it ain't gonna show up.

We also still have a movie WCF set (of 6) to be revealed (so far only one has been and it's a KV1 Goku) for December.
We can draw NO conclusions from anything other than having seen the full movie.
Of course you would say this considering you not see the movie if UI wasn’t there and it was replaced by Gogeta. Merch is probably the most reliable source for getting info on the movie before it comes out. Merch has been predicting and reveal stuff for years. You CAN draw conclusions from merch. And heck, maybe even the line from Goku about not being able to use UI was a hint at him not using it in the movie. All we can do is wait and inspect the info we’ve been given, merch and all.
emperior wrote:We still haven’t seen sheets for the bob cut haired Freeza force member, for Bulma, for young Paragus, for Paragus’ Saiyan friend in the flashback, for Golden Freeza, for the armored guys with Paragus, for baby Broly, for baby Goku and Bardock (Minus flashback), for battle damaged Goku (and Vegeta too, as he’s most likely getting damaged too) etcetera.
Toriyama has designed a lot of characters, objects and even 1-2 new planets, and we haven’t seen them yet: does it mean they are lying?
They aren’t spoiling the whole movie just now, so please stop with these ridiculous claims that UI Goku isn’t in because he hasn’t been shown - and the same applies for Kaioken and Evolution. For all we know, Vegeta too might achieve UI this time.
Do not draw conclusions. Merchandise doesn’t mean shit to be honest, we don’t know what their plans are.
Believe me. They may not show any spoilers for the movie in the v-jump reveals and such but merch doesn’t give a shit most of the time. They’ll reveal what they want albeit sometimes in a silhouette or just flat out black circle cover. But Baggie has found the trends and hints that can reveal whether a character shrouded in secrecy is a new character, fusion, or transformation of a character we already know. You seriously shouldn’t underestimate merch.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:29 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:What if this movie is the 4th Broly movie that we've been waiting for the last 23 years?
Is this a joke?
No, Broly rocks.
Lol, you were SOOOOOO right.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
Gt91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:11 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Gt91 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
emperior wrote:We still haven’t seen sheets for the bob cut haired Freeza force member, for Bulma, for young Paragus, for Paragus’ Saiyan friend in the flashback, for Golden Freeza, for the armored guys with Paragus, for baby Broly, for baby Goku and Bardock (Minus flashback), for battle damaged Goku (and Vegeta too, as he’s most likely getting damaged too) etcetera.
Toriyama has designed a lot of characters, objects and even 1-2 new planets, and we haven’t seen them yet: does it mean they are lying?
They aren’t spoiling the whole movie just now, so please stop with these ridiculous claims that UI Goku isn’t in because he hasn’t been shown - and the same applies for Kaioken and Evolution. For all we know, Vegeta too might achieve UI this time.
Do not draw conclusions. Merchandise doesn’t mean shit to be honest, we don’t know what their plans are.
It does mean shit actually. It was what inadvertently gave away Goku and Vegeta had new forms MONTHS before the leak in 2015, it was what gave away Mastered Ultra Instinct will look different and plenty of people scoffed at that and guess what? It was different. Through drawing conclusions from merchandise gave away Vegetto Blue (RF outfit) was likely to appear in SDBH guess what? That is what exactly happened.
BlueBasilisk wrote: You think they're taking any extra steps to avoid spoilers in the merchandising this time? UI did get leaked slightly beforehand by that Vegeta Heroes card, but only by a couple dads.
For UI Bandai/Banpresto did everything in their power to hide it I was impressed, suspect they'll be similarly cautious here. Looks like the two "mysterious" characters will be the spoilers for this movie as opposed to forms interestingly enough the Ichiban Kuji begins early December which does mean they will have to be revealed formally before and November V Jump makes the most sense.
Gt91 wrote:Two new secret characters? My bet is on blue/UI gogeta and a new trasformation for broly (beyond LSSj)
It is probably not a new stronger form for Broly. Full Power Broly (LSS) is the A Prize, LO (last one) Prize and DC (double chance) Prize they usually only do that for the strongest forms. Plus if it was Broly they'd most likely label it as Broly anyway either flat out saying new form or provisional (like with UI Goku they called it "New form Son Goku provisional")
Oh i see.
Well nevermind, it could be UI vegeta or something else.

User avatar
Ju-NanaGo
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:29 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Ju-NanaGo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:15 pm

I hope for a small role for 17 but doubt it

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 4039
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by emperior » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Ju-NanaGo wrote:I hope for a small role for 17 but doubt it
I would like to see him too but it seems like this time only Goku and Vegeta will be the focus, with Piccolo spectating and possibly providing the comments.
Hope this doesn’t mean 17 won’t reappear in the future.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3061
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:41 pm

emperior wrote:
Ju-NanaGo wrote:I hope for a small role for 17 but doubt it
I would like to see him too but it seems like this time only Goku and Vegeta will be the focus, with Piccolo spectating and possibly providing the comments.
Hope this doesn’t mean 17 won’t reappear in the future.
I really want 17 to come back too. Never thought I'd say that but Super really made me like his character and I'd like to see his family.

User avatar
SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1642
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:55 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu/East District

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:05 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
emperior wrote:Would you guys like it if Toriyama boards some parts of the movies, like gags and some fights?
I absolutely love his choreography, it’s one of the main reasons why Dragon Ball became so popular, so I would be absolutely happy if he could provide storyboards himself or at least give more advice about the storyboard in general. They said that this time he’s more involved than ever, which makes me hopeful. At the very least, I expect him to detail how each fight goes, as he did in Resurrection F.
I'd love it if he boarded some gags. He's one of the few writers that can make me laugh at a poop joke. :lol:
I don't know if Toriyama was the one that came up with Goku mistaking a pin-up coupon for the Mafuba seal but that was the one time in Super I felt the humor was classic Toriyama, as opposed to the meta humor we're getting more of now Super both anime and manga. There is also the overdone food and feast jokes I'm starting to despise. I want to see more of Toriyama's playful crudeness back. I found the whole watching God tube or making videos for god tube stuff pretty cringy because its not what I expect from DB.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

User avatar
1345521
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:07 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by 1345521 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:13 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
emperior wrote:Would you guys like it if Toriyama boards some parts of the movies, like gags and some fights?
I absolutely love his choreography, it’s one of the main reasons why Dragon Ball became so popular, so I would be absolutely happy if he could provide storyboards himself or at least give more advice about the storyboard in general. They said that this time he’s more involved than ever, which makes me hopeful. At the very least, I expect him to detail how each fight goes, as he did in Resurrection F.
I'd love it if he boarded some gags. He's one of the few writers that can make me laugh at a poop joke. :lol:
I don't know if Toriyama was the one that came up with Goku mistaking a pin-up coupon for the Mafuba seal but that was the one time in Super where I felt the humor was classic Toriyama, as opposed to the more self-referential humor the anime has. I don't like it because it makes DBS into more of a meme show that just acknowledges what the fanbase thinks over making its own jokes. There is also the overdone food and feast jokes I'm starting to despise. I want to see more of Toriyama's playful crudeness back.

The 2008 Special was probably the last time I felt DB was genuinely funny before it became all meta and flanderized in Super.
Remember when they are playing the Mario kart game with future trunks? Lol I laughed at that one. That was good.
I also found ssj3 goku vs 17 fight a little funny, towards the end that is.
Oh I found champa face when he looked at Zeno hoping they'd allow the potora fusion was priceless. Hahaha.good stuff. There are other small Easter eggs but it'd be to difficult to explain it, and explaining a joke always ruins the joke. :lol:
But yeah, hoping this movie actually has some Orginal and actual funny humor. Not forced. Cringe stuff we always saw with the TV show.

Post Reply