Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by YamiGoku » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:00 pm

I didn't see anyone posting the full version of the new tv clip (sorry if it's already posted):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xb-wVzXBcs

nothing new except for the 2 screens but the way Nozawa says "Broly" at the end cracks me up for some reason. XD

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:35 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:How much you wanna bet that ur still gonna see the movie though?
I’ve never watched Battle of Gods, RoF or DBSuper. Only short clips. I refuse to watch/support nonsense.
Ha! This is ridiculous. What do you think “support” is? Views of a video don’t discriminate. :lolno:

“I’ve never bought alcohol before, but I still get wasted every weekend. I refuse to support alcohol.”

This is essentially what you’re saying... Good grief. :roll:
How i predict the tournament will end:

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:46 pm

TheOne wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:How much you wanna bet that ur still gonna see the movie though?
I’ve never watched Battle of Gods, RoF or DBSuper. Only short clips. I refuse to watch/support nonsense.
Ha! This is ridiculous. What do you think “support” is? Views of a video don’t discriminate. :lolno:

“I’ve never bought alcohol before, but I still get wasted every weekend. I refuse to support alcohol.”

I mean even if Maakuo goes the illegal route, why are they here? Like if they really haven't liked the new Dragon Ball content since 2013, then why are they following it still?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:50 pm

They make such a cute couple. 8)
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:58 pm

TheOne wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:

Dragon Ball has been nonsense the whole way down from the start.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:56 am

Reading some of this thread, it seems that the whole 'the movie will be based off the manga because of Super Saiyan God Vegeta' has mostly been debunk. For one, the 'tingle back' is a thing in the movie while the manga itself never mentioned it (despite apparently being Toriyama's idea). That and the subplot of Freeza wanting to replace Zen'o, which as far as I can remember, isn't in the manga either.

And using the design sheets was always strange since Golden Freeza has no sheets either, yet no one claims that form doesn't exist.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:59 am

HeroR wrote:It seems that the whole 'the movie will be based off the manga because of Super Saiyan God Vegeta' has mostly been debunk.
I don't know why anyone thought that as Toriyama said it was going to continue the anime while the manga was getting its own version later down the line. Vegeta having SsjG should be the last thing people use to think that as him having SsjB would automatically give him its lower level, SsjG.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:43 am

HeroR wrote:Reading some of this thread, it seems that the whole 'the movie will be based off the manga because of Super Saiyan God Vegeta' has mostly been debunk. For one, the 'tingle back' is a thing in the movie while the manga itself never mentioned it (despite apparently being Toriyama's idea). That and the subplot of Freeza wanting to replace Zen'o, which as far as I can remember, isn't in the manga either.

And using the design sheets was always strange since Golden Freeza has no sheets either, yet no one claims that form doesn't exist.
That much was obvious to the majority ever since the movie was announced. Only a delusional minority of manga fans were claiming the opposite.
I also predicted months ago how the tingle back must have come from Toriyama as there is no way Toei decided to take such a liberty.
In fact I was very surprised how the manga didn’t mention it, and I expected it to be mentioned some time later. I didn’t even like it at first because of how random it seemed but further research showed how the back thing is actually related to Ki and martial arts, so I’ve come to appreciate it because there’s thought behind it.
Now we have confirmation it was Toriyama’s idea and we also know he was the one to make Freeza as interesting as he was ever since he came back.
And people say Toriyama should stop writing DB...
I have always had faith in him. He is still the same man who created Dragon Ball and its world, and I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t love his work so much. I am incredibly happy to know he has been way more involved than I thought. Months ago I started to think he was going to stop writing new stories, because it felt like he wasn’t much involved mostly because he wasn’t providing many designs. I also hoped he would take more control over the story and over how Super should look, and that’s exactly what he did. And the results, to me, are already clear.
I hope the trend will be kept from now on. I want him to continue being involved with the story so much, even if it’s the TV show I hope he will write longer and more detailed outlines, that he will continue to provide lots of new designs and that he will give advice to our new character designer Naohiro Shintani.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:43 am

Let the games begin.

4 Mystery characters now but the latter two are under ratio'd at 6 and 4 so that means they won't be as important as B & C whom are at 12 HOWEVER there are no labels/placeholder/silhouettes to indicate it is (another)Goku/Vegeta/Freeza so we can assume these two are the same two "new" characters also listed from the Ichiban Kuji...

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:09 am

HeroR wrote:Reading some of this thread, it seems that the whole 'the movie will be based off the manga because of Super Saiyan God Vegeta' has mostly been debunk. For one, the 'tingle back' is a thing in the movie while the manga itself never mentioned it (despite apparently being Toriyama's idea). That and the subplot of Freeza wanting to replace Zen'o, which as far as I can remember, isn't in the manga either.

Did I lose something? Vegeta SSG for some reason will not appear in the movie?

In the manga, Caulifla said she did not think it would be so easy to turn into SSJ, implying that "tingle back" might have happened. Freeza also has not yet revealed its true objectives. Anyway, Toriyama oversees the manga, so if none of this is confirmed in the manga, he just did not want to interfere (though it's obvious the movie will be based on the anime, so it would be strange if SSBK and SSBE did not show up)

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:33 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:I’ve never watched Battle of Gods, RoF or DBSuper. Only short clips. I refuse to watch/support nonsense.
Short clips count as "watching". Not for a discussion, though, as it's very apparent that you're ill-informed.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:It’s a shame that companies these days turn classic shows (that brought them good fortune) into a fan-service or something non-inspiring. Take Pokémon for example. Nobody will remember the 1,200th Pokémon. Only the first generation, second, or third. Soon, when the brand has been milked to death, it will no longer stand for anything except for “another classic show that fell victim to the minds of greedy businessmen”.
Oh, ok, you just want to remain in the past. There's nothing wrong with it but you have to remember the world isn't stagnant. Better yet, let's have informed opinions instead of blaming "evil companies", ok?
That is probably the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said to me on Kanzenshuu.

Come to think of it, I did watch Future Trunks kill a villain that is 1000x stronger than him by gathering energy into his sword from people on various planets. They basically combined the Genki Dama and Future Trunks slicing Freeza idea into one attack, while ignoring how fast the villain was compared to Future Trunks. Completely unoriginal! But... you know... I’m ill-informed because I haven’t watched the entirety of DBSuper and I’m totally stuck in the past.

Am I supposed to watch RoF to have an appreciation of the same Freeza but colored gold with powers stronger than Super Saiyan Bluper God Saiyan?
You’re criticizing the quality of a series you admitted to not watching anything relevant for since the revival.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:11 am

lancerman wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
alakazam^ wrote: Short clips count as "watching". Not for a discussion, though, as it's very apparent that you're ill-informed.

Oh, ok, you just want to remain in the past. There's nothing wrong with it but you have to remember the world isn't stagnant. Better yet, let's have informed opinions instead of blaming "evil companies", ok?
That is probably the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said to me on Kanzenshuu.

Come to think of it, I did watch Future Trunks kill a villain that is 1000x stronger than him by gathering energy into his sword from people on various planets. They basically combined the Genki Dama and Future Trunks slicing Freeza idea into one attack, while ignoring how fast the villain was compared to Future Trunks. Completely unoriginal! But... you know... I’m ill-informed because I haven’t watched the entirety of DBSuper and I’m totally stuck in the past.

Am I supposed to watch RoF to have an appreciation of the same Freeza but colored gold with powers stronger than Super Saiyan Bluper God Saiyan?
You’re criticizing the quality of a series you admitted to not watching anything relevant for since the revival.
I don’t need to subscribe to DBSuper, BOG, or RoF to judge whether it is good or bad. It’s the same reason I don’t finish watching stupid movies all the way through because the acting or story makes me cringe.
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:16 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
lancerman wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote: That is probably the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said to me on Kanzenshuu.

I don’t need to subscribe to the entire series to judge whether it is good or bad. It’s the same reason I don’t finish watching stupid movies all the way through because the acting and story makes me cringe.
but you do need to watch some

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:25 pm

Didn't like much what I read from that, it seems like another movie with focus on Freeza schemes, I would enjoy more highlight to Broly. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a predictable script and Toriyama actually redeems himself after the travesty that was RoF.
Shaddy wrote:Was Cheelai x Freeza ever even a thing? Besides the whole "not having a dick" aspect he doesn't seem like the type to want to settle down with anyone.
Is not like he couldn't use his fingers, mate :)
AnimeMaakuo wrote:Is this movie a joke?! Surely they can’t be serious :lol:. Yay, Toei ran out of ideas like they did with RoF and decided to bring Broly back for the fourth time, now with powers stronger than Super Saiyan Bluper Duper Saiyan God. LETZ GET HYPED FOR REHASHED IDEAS! Maybe his twin sister noodle arm Brola from DBSuper can tag team with fake Broly? Wait, a new movie means another ridiculous transformation that praises Goku as the savior yet again, right? Goku’s new transformation looks like SSJ5 from Dragon Ball AF pictures from decades ago. HOW ORIGINAL!

Instead of an interesting side-story about King Vegeta or the original Super Saiyan, we get more transformations, bigger explosions, etc. BORRRRIINNGGGGG.

Basically, Goku and Vegeta meet fake Broly, dance around a little, realize he’s stronger than they thought, turn Super Saiyan to make it look like a classic DBZ movie, and then finally when Broly mysteriously transforms into this ridiculously powered transformation and runs them into the ground, Goku and Vegeta turn Super Saiyan God retarded and lose, but little do we know Mr. Goku has a white hair transformation up his sleeve for when things get rough.
That actually made me lol pretty hard, you do have some valid points, but I'll still pray this will turn out to be good this time.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:53 pm

Noah wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Didn't like much what I read from that, it seems like another movie with focus on Freeza schemes, I would enjoy more highlight to Broly. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a predictable script and Toriyama actually redeems himself after the travesty that was RoF.
Wow, Broly looks really good there. I always wanted to see SSJ style hair in Black and it looks just as good as I imagined. I like Frieza being in the movie, but I would prefer the plot to focus on Broly and Paragus' motivations. There's a lot of Frieza in this statement. Chelye's gravitating towards Broly. There yall go speaking things into existence again.

"...Vegeta is desperately trying to catch up"
Ouch

MoscoSama
Temporarily Banned

Post by MoscoSama » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Multiple different infographics have stated Broly is the strongest enemy they have faced, has power stronger than Gods of Destruction,etc and you still have people saying
"it means nothing, its just promotional hype" :wtf:
Somehow the idea of ever escalating antagonists doesn't seem to get through a lot of db fans

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:04 pm

Noah wrote:Image

Actually I find that to be a good sign personally.

The story seems to be a little bit more complex and builds on an already established idea. Unlike F, Frieza is not out for just blood anymore and worse he's not only trying to find a way to regain control of universe 7 but he still wants to some day rule over all 12 universes and even Zen-Oh. He may see Broly as a key weapon in achiving this. Thats already more intreasting then "I'll get those meddling saiyans".

I'm happy that the goons are going to interacting with Broly, Broly more then anyone needs some fellows to bounce off of. If done right it can be good for his character, while he's a bit deeper then people say in the original film he still barely talks to anyone befor he hulks out with what? One line of dialog to Vegeta befor screaming Kakarote for a bit befor going green and he only spoke to his farther once in a flashback that consisted of "what are you doing" and once right befor killing him. A few more interactions with other people outside of fighting is a good idea.

So we have Frieza acting as what will likely be a secondary antagonist who is building on all his development and plot threads from the US Arc, Broly and whatever their doing with him and his farther and goons who seem to have an actual emotional connection to the main villains rather then just cannon fodder for the heroes. If they do that right well, this will be worth every penny.

Edit: If nothing else I really want my own personal LSS attack dog by the end.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Don't make the same mistake of being hasty like those who claimed the Hakaishin and Kaioshin being a pair was manga only until the anime revealed it later too.

Simply have to wait.
Noah wrote:Image
Thanks.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:18 pm

TysonWine wrote:"...Vegeta is desperately trying to catch up"
Ouch
I didn't like that bit either, for how long they will force this one side rivalry between Goku and Vegeta? I think we had enough, I would love if Vegeta finally moved on and had other reasons then "I MUST SURPASS KAKAROTTO" to get even stronger.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:31 pm

I'd love for them to have Vegeta move on as well while also going for his own things separate from Goku, either that or at least make it seem like he has a remote chance at being superior to Goku for a long period of time. But he's characterized largely by his obsession with Goku but they don't really do much if anything at all to change the dynamic.