Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:34 pm

Regarding Goten and Trunks, what even is the timeline for the series at this point?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:03 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:Vegeta's dna is simply more dominate in present Trunks then it was in future Trunks.
That doesn't make sense at all. The exact same thing happened no matter timeline we're talking about, this is not an external factor that changed everything that comes next.
JulieYBM wrote:Pretend that their bodies are remaining young because their mental and spiritual energies are lax from a lack of need to do battle. Gohan and Future Trunks were always in high-stress situations, so their bodies more quickly aged to be combat-ready.
I can't pretend that, as I explained a couple of times now, aging is something I appreciate in Dragon Ball, I can't simply make a "headcanon" to explain why present Trunks is still short when he should be taller no matter what.
JulieYBM wrote:It's not the most important thing in the world to the production team right now.
Aging was never an important thing but it did happen back then, there is no excuse to get rid of it now.
JulieYBM wrote:In fact, they're probably intentionally keeping them young-looking for branding purposes.
I get that, but it's still a problem. The time to keep Goten and Trunks short has long passed now, the nostalgia factor or whatever reason/excuse to portray them like that is no longer working.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Grimlock wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:Vegeta's dna is simply more dominate in present Trunks then it was in future Trunks.
That doesn't make sense at all.
Of course it doesn't make sense. The simple and clear answer to why these 2 don't grow up is because the writers want the Buu arc's status quo to remain the default image of DB for as long as possible, regardless of it making sense. Super never stated how much time has passed between arcs (as far as I know) so one way to explain why they haven't grown is that only a year or 2 have passed since the Buu arc and even that's stretching things.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:41 pm

sintzu wrote:Of course it doesn't make sense. The simple and clear answer to why these 2 don't grow up is because the writers want the Buu arc's status quo to remain the default image of DB for as long as possible, regardless of it making sense. Super never stated how much time has passed between arcs (as far as I know) so one way to explain why they haven't grown is that only a year or 2 have passed since the Buu arc and even that's stretching things.
Shenlong was summoned three times so, at least, 3 years have passed from the 6 months after Boo.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:58 pm

alakazam^ wrote:Shenlong was summoned three times so, at least, 3 years have passed from the 6 months after Boo.
Good point. I guess there is no way to explain it in universe then.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:01 pm

sintzu wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:Shenlong was summoned three times so, at least, 3 years have passed from the 6 months after Boo.
But hasn't Shenron disappeared on several occasions meaning they don't necessarily had to have waited a year to re-summon him?

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:25 pm

sintzu wrote:
Not unless Dende set the Dragonballs to Namekian years, which is 120days or four months. It really depends and if they don't use all the wish potential then Shenron could be summoned again at an earlier date.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:25 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Regarding Goten and Trunks, what even is the timeline for the series at this point?
The cast are in late AGE 780. Goten is 13 and Trunks is 14, same age (and year) as future Trunks was when future Gohan died.
sintzu wrote:Of course it doesn't make sense. The simple and clear answer to why these 2 don't grow up is because the writers want the Buu arc's status quo to remain the default image of DB for as long as possible, regardless of it making sense.
But can't they see that they are not doing anything good and just harming the series in the process because of that?
sintzu wrote:Super never stated how much time has passed between arcs (as far as I know) so one way to explain why they haven't grown is that only a year or 2 have passed since the Buu arc and even that's stretching things.
Shenlong was summoned during some events as far as I remember, that does tell you, in-universe, that there were a couple of timeskips. Well, there is supplementary information telling you how long was the timeskip.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:33 pm

I have a strong feeling that Broly will win against Goku and Vegeta (but won't kill them) in the end, leading to a sequel where the U6 saiyans (especially Kale) help them out to take down Broly.

I also have a feeling that Broly will kill Beerus (which would prevent Whis from helping out) in an all out fight as a way to boost tension.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:45 pm

I'm not defending Goten and Trunks for never ageing, but i think they kinda have an excuse of why future and main Trunks aged differently, for once trunks impact on the timeline made vegeta stronger, and one could say made Buu saga trunks stronger or at last give him the ability to turn SSj early, unlike future Trunks who had to work for it; also I may be wrong, but i think other factors like the ambient and the diet can change the way you grow.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:51 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
Cursemark505 wrote:Future Trunks aged normally and so did Gohan.
Yes they did, then why present Trunks doesn't age the same as future Trunks? They have the same biological features, he is the son of the same parents, so it does not make sense this huge difference.
Vegeta's dna is simply more dominate in present Trunks then it was in future Trunks.

Putting the exact same ingredients isn't going to make something come out exactly the same every time especially when you factory in one Trunks had blue hair.
Lol what? That makes no sense. Of course Trunks from the present should be the same as Future Trunks. By the time Trunks was born, the timelines hadn’t changed yet which means basically they were just exact copies of each other. Which means the exact same things happened in both timelines. Even the exact percentage of DNA that Trunks got from Bulma and Vegeta
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:10 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
Yes they did, then why present Trunks doesn't age the same as future Trunks? They have the same biological features, he is the son of the same parents, so it does not make sense this huge difference.
Vegeta's dna is simply more dominate in present Trunks then it was in future Trunks.

Putting the exact same ingredients isn't going to make something come out exactly the same every time especially when you factory in one Trunks had blue hair.
Lol what? That makes no sense. Of course Trunks from the present should be the same as Future Trunks. By the time Trunks was born, the timelines hadn’t changed yet which means basically they were just exact copies of each other. Which means the exact same things happened in both timelines. Even the exact percentage of DNA that Trunks got from Bulma and Vegeta

https://youtu.be/KuZwa_VGXKw?t=939

is this a bad translation? if trunks appeared 2 years before he was born then he changed the timeline before he was conceived?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Trunks never split the timeline (at least not when people think he did as in "he was responsible for the earliest split") and this rumor needs to die. Cell arrived before Trunks did. Cell split the timeline and that is why Trunks even wonders how the timeline is so different before he finds the second time machine. He realizes "oh, this guy came before I did ..." It is literally a mathematical wonder that another Trunks was conceived (of course not from the perspective of the story because Toriyama-san simply did not think about it and introduced Cell later). The first chronological difference was "Did Cell arrive? Yes/No" and thus he initiated the splitting event. Trunks literally jumped onto a timeline that was already another branch than the one he came from.
Last edited by Cetra on Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:20 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Lol what? That makes no sense. Of course Trunks from the present should be the same as Future Trunks. By the time Trunks was born, the timelines hadn’t changed yet which means basically they were just exact copies of each other. Which means the exact same things happened in both timelines. Even the exact percentage of DNA that Trunks got from Bulma and Vegeta
Actually, it's fair to consider present Trunks has more S-cells than future Trunks.

Oracle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Oracle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Some cool new posters of characters from the film:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
This also confirms that Goten and Trunks are in it! They somehow look younger, though. Especially Trunks.
Do you mind if I share a HQ? Here:
[spoiler]ImageImage
Image[/spoiler]

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:08 pm

Poor Goten and Trunks.

Forever stuck as toddlers.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:30 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Lol what? That makes no sense. Of course Trunks from the present should be the same as Future Trunks. By the time Trunks was born, the timelines hadn’t changed yet which means basically they were just exact copies of each other. Which means the exact same things happened in both timelines. Even the exact percentage of DNA that Trunks got from Bulma and Vegeta
Actually, it's fair to consider present Trunks has more S-cells than future Trunks.
Yeah but that has nothing to do with growth
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:34 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:

Future Trunks himself stated that he and present Trunks are not 1:1 the same person. Vegeta for one is arguably stronger for one thing going into Trunks's conception in the present timeline producing a stronger child with different hair color.

Fiction changes kids all the time like this such as Chibiusa from sailor moon and even the future sonic the hedgehog going from having a son and a daughter with a couple years between them with Sally in one timeline to Sally having the same kids as twins in another timeline.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:36 pm

Huh, Piccolo got his own poster.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:26 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:Future Trunks himself stated that he and present Trunks are not 1:1 the same person.
Are you referring to Dragon Ball Super where future Trunks talks with present Trunks? If so, you may want to rewatch again, because future Trunks clearly says "biologically we're the same". The difference future Trunks mentions here is external issue, events caused by unnatural forces, it does not have anything to do with who they are internally. While present Trunks lives in a X world, future Trunks lives in a Y world.
Last edited by Grimlock on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~ Day of the Machines ~