Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Bullza » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:59 pm

I'd hope it'd be more creative than them digging up an old popular villain and slapping on a bunch of fights.

Though that's really all they've showed so far from it and it wouldn't surprise me because they know it'd make money if they did just do that.

They could afford to have less fighting in the movie if the fights themselves are much better. Take some time to come up with something interesting in-between.

User avatar
kudo6000
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by kudo6000 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Will Sumitomo be returning to provide scores for this movie? Has a composure been announced?

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6124
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Ajay » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:09 pm

kudo6000 wrote:Will Sumitomo be returning to provide scores for this movie? Has a composure been announced?
Yup, he's set to return once again, though no details about the type of score we can expect have been released. I imagine he may end up being interviewed as part of the Front Line interviews they've been doing as promo.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Chuquita » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:21 pm

My expectations for the plot are low. It's why I haven't been theorizing much about it. I expect it to look pretty because of Shintani, but that's it.

Just going everyone vs Brolli is the same boring-to-me-personally tagline that the ToP was just battles all the time. With no stakes and nothing fresh story wise it's hard to care past the superficial coolness of the animation.

Brolli again. Freeza again. Why does nostalgia have to be so sticky? Why can't we have new villains?

Toei would have to prove there's an actual story to this film and even if they do I feel like it's just gonna be a Movie 8 remix with Minus and Gogeta. :(

But visually, it'll look cool at least.
Last edited by Chuquita on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
kudo6000
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by kudo6000 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:48 pm

I have a feeling it'll just be RoF but with an attempt at supplying some sort of story along with all the fighting.

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 3029
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Miracles » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:41 pm

I have a feeling this movie will be bad, even the fight scenes, like BoG and RoF was.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Chuquita » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:56 pm

I feel like the fights will look amazing, but the story will be another hollow RoF.

Why I have faith in the artwork: this film has Takahashi after all. His art's the fun kind of throwback. The animators in general seem like they have more freedom this time and that gives me confidence in the visual aspect of this movie.

It's why I'm really torn on the film. I can't wait to see the beautiful animation, but I feel so disappointed in what little we know of the story.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1689
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Australia

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:27 pm

The official US site for Dragon Ball Super: Broly is up! It's region blocked, though. Had to get on it through other means. Managed to get some awesome images from the poster out of it!
[spoiler]Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image[/spoiler]
Now I can finally make some fan wallpapers and posters just like I did with Resurrection 'F'.

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 3029
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Miracles » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:47 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:The official US site for Dragon Ball Super: Broly is up! It's region blocked, though. Had to get on it through other means. Managed to get some awesome images from the poster out of it!
[spoiler]Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image[/spoiler]
Now I can finally make some fan wallpapers and posters just like I did with Resurrection 'F'.
The images aren't working.

User avatar
Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1689
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Australia

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:18 pm

Miracles wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:The official US site for Dragon Ball Super: Broly is up! It's region blocked, though. Had to get on it through other means. Managed to get some awesome images from the poster out of it!
[spoiler]Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image[/spoiler]
Now I can finally make some fan wallpapers and posters just like I did with Resurrection 'F'.
The images aren't working.
These should work...
[spoiler]Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image[/spoiler]

Also, here's something I just quickly put together for phone backgrounds...
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:53 am

Not sure where all this doom & gloom is coming from. Ignoring the trailer everything we've been told about the movie doesn't sound like it's gonna be another RF. Nothing in RF's promotional cycle was interesting or promised anything interesting but here we're told of Goku/Vegeta/Broly having different destiny, the film is multi layered, takes place in various locations (some of which we've just been shown) various different character designs. Constantly reassured Broly is different in personality. Told that this movie will explore origins of Saiyans strength. So on.

I doubt Toei/Shueisha/Toriyama/Bandai/Banpresto are going through this much effort for the movie if it isn't something good.

User avatar
CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by CTAkuma » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:00 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:The official US site for Dragon Ball Super: Broly is up! It's region blocked, though. Had to get on it through other means. Managed to get some awesome images from the poster out of it!
[spoiler]Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image[/spoiler]
Now I can finally make some fan wallpapers and posters just like I did with Resurrection 'F'.
The images aren't working.
These should work...
[spoiler]Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image[/spoiler]

Also, here's something I just quickly put together for phone backgrounds...
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Why is Goku glowing white?

User avatar
Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1689
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Australia

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:04 am

CTAkuma wrote:Why is Goku glowing white?
It's his aura for SSB just as a seperate PNG to create a cool effect on the website. It looks like this when you put it with the image of Goku...
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

User avatar
TheMikado
I Live Here
Posts: 4870
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by TheMikado » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:17 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Not sure where all this doom & gloom is coming from. Ignoring the trailer everything we've been told about the movie doesn't sound like it's gonna be another RF. Nothing in RF's promotional cycle was interesting or promised anything interesting but here we're told of Goku/Vegeta/Broly having different destiny, the film is multi layered, takes place in various locations (some of which we've just been shown) various different character designs. Constantly reassured Broly is different in personality. Told that this movie will explore origins of Saiyans strength. So on.

I doubt Toei/Shueisha/Toriyama/Bandai/Banpresto are going through this much effort for the movie if it isn't something good.
I feel like you could replace these reasons with Frieza instead of Broly and we would have been saying the same things about RoF. For instance:

Why would they bring back (Broly/Frieza) if they weren’t going the do something good with them?

Broly’s one of my favorite villains but they’re going to need a heck of a lore backstory to convince me that he’s more powerful than two SSBs and a Golden Frieza. I’m still disgusted from Golden Frieza workout plan and not interested in another hand wave “potential” no explanation for being this strong excuse.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:35 am

TheMikado wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Not sure where all this doom & gloom is coming from. Ignoring the trailer everything we've been told about the movie doesn't sound like it's gonna be another RF. Nothing in RF's promotional cycle was interesting or promised anything interesting but here we're told of Goku/Vegeta/Broly having different destiny, the film is multi layered, takes place in various locations (some of which we've just been shown) various different character designs. Constantly reassured Broly is different in personality. Told that this movie will explore origins of Saiyans strength. So on.

I doubt Toei/Shueisha/Toriyama/Bandai/Banpresto are going through this much effort for the movie if it isn't something good.
I feel like you could replace these reasons with Frieza instead of Broly and we would have been saying the same things about RoF. For instance:

Why would they bring back (Broly/Frieza) if they weren’t going the do something good with them?

Broly’s one of my favorite villains but they’re going to need a heck of a lore backstory to convince me that he’s more powerful than two SSBs and a Golden Frieza. I’m still disgusted from Golden Frieza workout plan and not interested in another hand wave “potential” no explanation for being this strong excuse.
They're not bringing Broly back though. This a new character.

User avatar
CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by CTAkuma » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:41 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Not sure where all this doom & gloom is coming from. Ignoring the trailer everything we've been told about the movie doesn't sound like it's gonna be another RF. Nothing in RF's promotional cycle was interesting or promised anything interesting but here we're told of Goku/Vegeta/Broly having different destiny, the film is multi layered, takes place in various locations (some of which we've just been shown) various different character designs. Constantly reassured Broly is different in personality. Told that this movie will explore origins of Saiyans strength. So on.

I doubt Toei/Shueisha/Toriyama/Bandai/Banpresto are going through this much effort for the movie if it isn't something good.
I feel like you could replace these reasons with Frieza instead of Broly and we would have been saying the same things about RoF. For instance:

Why would they bring back (Broly/Frieza) if they weren’t going the do something good with them?

Broly’s one of my favorite villains but they’re going to need a heck of a lore backstory to convince me that he’s more powerful than two SSBs and a Golden Frieza. I’m still disgusted from Golden Frieza workout plan and not interested in another hand wave “potential” no explanation for being this strong excuse.
They're not bringing Broly back though. This a new character.
That's not entirely true, Toriyama outright said they are keeping his classic image from the old movies while adding new things to him. If he was a totally new character, Paragus would not be his father and he wouldn't have a mind control device around him like in Movie 8

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:46 am

CTAkuma wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
I feel like you could replace these reasons with Frieza instead of Broly and we would have been saying the same things about RoF. For instance:

Why would they bring back (Broly/Frieza) if they weren’t going the do something good with them?

Broly’s one of my favorite villains but they’re going to need a heck of a lore backstory to convince me that he’s more powerful than two SSBs and a Golden Frieza. I’m still disgusted from Golden Frieza workout plan and not interested in another hand wave “potential” no explanation for being this strong excuse.
They're not bringing Broly back though. This a new character.
That's not entirely true, Toriyama outright said they are keeping his classic image from the old movies while adding new things to him. If he was a totally new character, Paragus would not be his father and he wouldn't have a mind control device around him like in Movie 8
It's still not the same as bringing Freeza back is the point I was making. This character in-universe is new. Freeza wasn't.

User avatar
TheMikado
I Live Here
Posts: 4870
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by TheMikado » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:47 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: They're not bringing Broly back though. This a new character.
That's not entirely true, Toriyama outright said they are keeping his classic image from the old movies while adding new things to him. If he was a totally new character, Paragus would not be his father and he wouldn't have a mind control device around him like in Movie 8
It's still not the same as bringing Freeza back is the point I was making. This character in-universe is new. Freeza wasn't.
That’s really splitting hairs. At most you could call it a remake or reboot. The more important part being is that we’re rehashing something we’ve seen before and the most we’re getting marketing wise is emphasizing that they’re rehashing something we’ve already seen before.

The marketing is based entirely around giving us nothing but telling us we are going to see something we’ve seen before but “redone”.

User avatar
majinwarman
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1698
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:50 pm
Location: Freeza Planet 1

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by majinwarman » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:27 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
CTAkuma wrote: That's not entirely true, Toriyama outright said they are keeping his classic image from the old movies while adding new things to him. If he was a totally new character, Paragus would not be his father and he wouldn't have a mind control device around him like in Movie 8
It's still not the same as bringing Freeza back is the point I was making. This character in-universe is new. Freeza wasn't.
That’s really splitting hairs. At most you could call it a remake or reboot. The more important part being is that we’re rehashing something we’ve seen before and the most we’re getting marketing wise is emphasizing that they’re rehashing something we’ve already seen before.

The marketing is based entirely around giving us nothing but telling us we are going to see something we’ve seen before but “redone”.
But, I feel like people are already the movie sucks before it comes out because it is Super or Broly is involved.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

User avatar
Kenneth La Torre
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1579
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:02 pm

majinwarman wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: It's still not the same as bringing Freeza back is the point I was making. This character in-universe is new. Freeza wasn't.
That’s really splitting hairs. At most you could call it a remake or reboot. The more important part being is that we’re rehashing something we’ve seen before and the most we’re getting marketing wise is emphasizing that they’re rehashing something we’ve already seen before.

The marketing is based entirely around giving us nothing but telling us we are going to see something we’ve seen before but “redone”.
But, I feel like people are already the movie sucks before it comes out because it is Super or Broly is involved.
No one is saying the movie sucks... at all. People are just having doubts

Post Reply