Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Michsi » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:14 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Tomokazu Sugita is one of the male voice actors I wanted to see the most in Dragon Ball. Good t see it's finally happening, even though it's a waste he will be just another Freeza soldier. Anyway I guess he's glad, since he's a DB fan.
Kinda have the feeling Lemo and Cheerai (is there a consensus on how her name is romanized ?) will be far more important than the promo makes it seem. Lemo especially seems like a character Toriyama would like and make more sympathetic. I kind of expect him to be a lot like Mr. Satan, albeit a little more meek and downtrodden, given what his status is.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:32 am

Kind of sucks that even if this movie does extremely well the odds of it reaching the top 10 are practically zero.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:46 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:Kind of sucks that even if this movie does extremely well the odds of it reaching the top 10 are practically zero.
Toei is expecting it to make 90 million which will put it at #11 above One Piece film Z's 87 million but it'll still be very far behind Pokemon's 134 million.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:00 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:Ultra Instinct Goku >>> SSJ Blue Gogeta.

Why do people prefer Gogeta again???
Ultra Instinct is.only stronger than Vegito from when he fought Merged Zamasu.

A Gogeta now would be a fusion of two boarder line God.of destruction level people.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:44 pm

Even more information about Cheelai and Lemo: https://twitter.com/Terez27/status/1039904870743109632

I find myself hoping that Broly's character is inverted from movie 8. He's normally very mellow and even-tempered and Paragus uses his control device to piss him off and force him to fight, but once he does he can't be stopped.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Jeeeeez. The film isn't even out yet and last week's Gold Rare Full Power Broly Wafer Sticker current market value is.... 20,000yen+. :o I thought UI Gold rare last Feb hitting over 5000yen was bad. But this insane! I've just been seeing Japanese fans buying boxes of the Wafer Stickers all week! Bandai must have made a killing.

With the pre sale tickets in high volume. This film is gonna bank so much money in Japan come December... Then January onwards the film and merchandise will be released overseas! It's scary thinking how much money this film could potentially end up making.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:28 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:Even more information about Cheelai and Lemo: https://twitter.com/Terez27/status/1039904870743109632

I find myself hoping that Broly's character is inverted from movie 8. He's normally very mellow and even-tempered and Paragus uses his control device to piss him off and force him to fight, but once he does he can't be stopped.
Here's hoping there is no forced romance sub plot

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:23 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Tomokazu Sugita is one of the male voice actors I wanted to see the most in Dragon Ball. Good t see it's finally happening, even though it's a waste he will be just another Freeza soldier. Anyway I guess he's glad, since he's a DB fan.
Tomokazu Sugita would make a great Adult Gohan (especially as Great Saiyaman) if you had to give him a male seiyuu.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:04 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:

A Gogeta now would be a fusion of two boarder line God.of destruction level people.
There is no evidence that a current Fusion between Goku and Vegeta boosts more power than Mastered Ultra Instinct. And if it does provide slightly more power, it won’t be enough to compensate for it against Ultra Instinct’s insane striking power and dodging speed.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:25 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:

There is no evidence that a current Fusion between Goku and Vegeta boosts more power than Mastered Ultra Instinct. And if it does provide slightly more power, it won’t be enough to compensate for it against Ultra Instinct’s insane striking power and dodging speed.
You are forgetting how fusion (especially potara) works. It is not a fixed tier of power. Its the max power of both partners add together, then multiplied by an unknown number, and that's the base result. That's why Base Gotenks > SSJ Goten & Trunks in the Buu arc, Base Vegito > SSJ3 Goku in the Buu arc, Base Vegito > SSB Goku & Vegeta in the Black arc and Base Kefla > Mastered Berzerk Kale in the ToP.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:41 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:

Tell that to jiren, who overwhelmed mui goku on two occasions, and only was put down when goku got enraged. Ui isnt unbeatable. And a ssb gogeta being above TOP ui goku isnt unthinkable.

And why do people prefer gogeta u ask? Obviously because they can... simple answer.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:49 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:Even more information about Cheelai and Lemo: https://twitter.com/Terez27/status/1039904870743109632

This is Toriyama lol. We aren't gonna see that.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:02 pm

CTAkuma wrote:

I vaguely recall something saying Cheelai tries to get Broly to resist control with terrible consequences.

From the sounds of it she dose form a bond with Broly while he’s calm but she doesn’t understand that the rampaging killer is his true nature. She tries to get him to resist his father’s control device hoping he will no longer just be a tool but this back fires as without the control device nothing is keeping his violent impulses in check.

Maybe she’ll get killed for her trouble?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:54 pm

ricky84 wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:

This is Toriyama lol. We aren't gonna see that.
I remember when people used to say that about Broly. The new tagline for Dragon Ball is basically “Anything is possible”.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:05 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1039635781290156034
Nana Mizuki is Cheelai and Tomokazu Sugita is Lemo.
Wow, HeartCatch PreCure's Cure Blossom AND Gintama's Gintoki in Dragon Ball?? This movie looking even better! :)

Actually, Dragon Ball's getting a LOT Pretty Cure alumni in Dragon Ball these days, huh?

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:13 pm

So what if the movie is 90 minutes or 10-20 minutes longer? Are the fans so much thirsty for a few more minutes with DB content? It's not 2012 (before BOG), it's 2018 and we had those 20 minutes every week for the last 3 years.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:09 pm

TheRed259 wrote:So what if the movie is 90 minutes or 10-20 minutes longer? Are the fans so much thirsty for a few more minutes with DB content?
Can't say for everyone but I can say that there are a few of us are actually hungry for a decent plot after all the embarrassment that Dragon Ball Super was. A limited runtime would screw everything since it's the past of the Saiyans we're talking about. Why do you think Dragon Ball Minus sucks? One of the (many) reasons is that It's just a chapter, you can't reduce the past of Saiyans to a mere chapter or a few minutes (the latter can be a major factor in terms of the quality of Dragon Ball Super movie).
TheRed259 wrote:It's not 2012 (before BOG), it's 2018 and we had those 20 minutes every week for the last 3 years.
It's exactly because it's 2018 that we can't keep getting half-assed "main series", without a story, without any sign of attempt to show beyond, they must strive for something more, something different, not like what we have been getting since 2014.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:28 pm

TheRed259 wrote:So what if the movie is 90 minutes or 10-20 minutes longer? Are the fans so much thirsty for a few more minutes with DB content? It's not 2012 (before BOG), it's 2018 and we had those 20 minutes every week for the last 3 years.
People want a good story. And the more time to flesh out said story, or hell, even the more action we get, the better.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:47 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:So what if the movie is 90 minutes or 10-20 minutes longer? Are the fans so much thirsty for a few more minutes with DB content? It's not 2012 (before BOG), it's 2018 and we had those 20 minutes every week for the last 3 years.
People want a good story. And the more time to flesh out said story, or hell, even the more action we get, the better.
Yeah exactly. Screw 90 minutes, I want 150 or so.

Regardless of it's length, story, action scenes, or any other facet of the movie, people are going to complain about it though. These last two arcs to me are proof of that.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:10 pm

This should be a 3 hour movie. If you are making a story about saiyan history (with lots of flashbacks and multiple characters), there's no way you can do this with a 90 minute movie (unless they're planning on making sequel films). This it not the type of story that can be rushed. The fact that Toriyama wrote a 3 hour script however at least shows that he is attempting to make an epic story this time (unless most of the extra content is just dumb gags like the extended version of BoG).