Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Noah » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:51 pm

TheOne wrote:How does Gogeta not make sense if the Kais don’t have any spare earrings? Who even said that Shin and the others will be around while this is happening? Sometimes you people just want to find things to complain about. I’m not of a fan of how Super has handled a lot of things, but Gogeta appearing is FAR from the worst thing they could do.
Mate, they have Whis who can go anywhere in Universe 7 in a matter of minutes, it's more believe for him to bring the potaras to the Saiyans than Vegeta learning to do the dance without mistakes while being curmbstomped by Broly.

Also not saying it would be bad, for real I would prefer the Gogeta vs. Zamasu in the Future Trunks arc, the concept of a mortal fusion vs a God fusion would amuse me a lot.

The real issue is that this movie already have Broly as the big star, Bardock in a flashback and now Gogeta? It gives the impression the story might suck so bad for them to rely in such popular characters to appeal the audience.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:00 pm

Noah wrote:
TheOne wrote:How does Gogeta not make sense if the Kais don’t have any spare earrings? Who even said that Shin and the others will be around while this is happening? Sometimes you people just want to find things to complain about. I’m not of a fan of how Super has handled a lot of things, but Gogeta appearing is FAR from the worst thing they could do.
Mate, they have Whis who can go anywhere in Universe 7 in a matter of minutes, it's more believe for him to bring the potaras to the Saiyans than Vegeta learning to do the dance without mistakes while being curmbstomped by Broly.

Also not saying it would be bad, for real I would prefer the Gogeta vs. Zamasu in the Future Trunks arc, the concept of a mortal fusion vs a God fusion would amuse me a lot.

The real issue is that this movie already have Broly as the big star, Bardock in a flashback and now Gogeta? It gives the impression the story might suck so bad for them to rely in such popular characters to appeal the audience.
Vegeta should know the dance as he’s seen Trunks and Goten do it hundreds of times. Whis has not been seen in ANY of the fight scenes at all suggesting the event happens after Whis and Beerus presumably leave Earth. Or they just aren’t involved. And Whis is not allowed to interfere as an angel. And I'm pretty sure the theme of Super wa that mortals should learn to stop relying on the Gods but that could just be my interpretation.

And finally, its like they even have it set up like Fusion Reborn. We have Goku and Vegeta who need time to fuse, and we continently have Freeza who Broly has turned on. They’ll probably go with “the enemy of my enemy is my friend rule” and have Freeza play the Pikkon role of being Broly’s punching bag just long enough for Gogeta to happen.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:35 pm

So, how old is Broly is supposed to be in this film? I know the previous version was the same as Goku, but has it really been said how old he is this time around?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:So, how old is Broly is supposed to be in this film? I know the previous version was the same as Goku, but has it really been said how old he is this time around?
Well, his dad looks very old so I would imagine he has to be at least middle aged for that to make sense. If Either of Goku or Vegeta's parents were still alive think they would probably be petty damn old looking like Paragus is. Especially since we know Saiyans stay in their physical prime until they turn 80. I don't know if Paragus having grey hair counts as no longer being in his physical prime but if he's 80, and had Broly in his mid 20s, that would make Broly somewhere around Goku/Vegeta's age. I want to say Goku and Vegeta right now are in their late 40s or early 50s.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:34 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:So, how old is Broly is supposed to be in this film? I know the previous version was the same as Goku, but has it really been said how old he is this time around?
Well, his dad looks very old so I would imagine he has to be at least middle aged for that to make sense. If Either of Goku or Vegeta's parents were still alive think they would probably be petty damn old looking like Paragus is. Especially since we know Saiyans stay in their physical prime until they turn 80. I don't know if Paragus having grey hair counts as no longer being in his physical prime but if he's 80, and had Broly in his mid 20s, that would make Broly somewhere around Goku/Vegeta's age. I want to say Goku and Vegeta right now are in their late 40s or early 50s.
It could also be possible that Paragus had Broly later in life, or had him put in stasis of some sort until the time was right, making him biologically younger.

Think something along the lines of Supergirl. In her origins, she was originally about 15-16 years older than her cousin, Superman, back on Krypton. When the two were launched off planet before Krypton was destroyed, Supergirl's pod was knocked off course and, depending on the continuity, she went through a wormhole, the phantom zone, or some other cosmic wonder, that made her skip 20+ years. So by the time she reunited with Superman, he was older than her.

And looking at the few scenes with Broly, there does seem to be an air of youth to him.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:36 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
I'm not either. My body of work speaks for itself. If a few people still haven't accepted my legitimacy, its unfortunate, but I'm not losing sleep over it. You would think all of the interviews I've done and all the times I've broken stories way before others would be enough... but I guess its not acceptable for a "YOOTOOBER" to have sources. okey dokey...

Terez and Ajay can tell you stories for years about stuff I told them ahead of time that came true.
If it isn’t any trouble, might i ask HOW you got these connections? Is it just that are you grew as a youtuber, your sphere of influence grew bigger? Did you become more well known and people began to contact you or did you actually meet people who work at Shueisha or Toei or meet people who know people who work at Shueisha or Toei?
Man thats a great question that will require a lot of explanation LMAO! I can't really explain it here.

I think a lot of it has to do with just treating people right and respectful while not sucking up to them. As far as Shueisha and Toei, I don't really have a lot of connects there (specially Shuiesha). That's more of a "friend of a friend" type thing if that makes sense.

Japan is REALLY hard to work with because of language and cultural barriers. For example, we'd send Aoni an email and they wouldn't respond for weeks and weeks. Pieces of art for official promotion all have to be approved by Japan or else they get mad. Completely different culture. But there's a few that will speak to us.

a lot of them are actually fans of our work (videos, articles, etc).

Indeed Danny. There are a few who I've seen follow some content creators on social media platforms. I've been noticing more of them lately too, it appears some who work closely on DB are watching us more than we may realize. Remember lads, in the past, most from Japan never actually knew how popular DB really is in the west. It's not surprising that some of them are now following some popular names in the fandom. I'm sure there are a few who keep an eye on popular social media accounts in the DB fandom.

Back on topic of the movie, I'm excited for the trailer!

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:04 am

DainIronfoot wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: If it isn’t any trouble, might i ask HOW you got these connections? Is it just that are you grew as a youtuber, your sphere of influence grew bigger? Did you become more well known and people began to contact you or did you actually meet people who work at Shueisha or Toei or meet people who know people who work at Shueisha or Toei?
Man thats a great question that will require a lot of explanation LMAO! I can't really explain it here.

I think a lot of it has to do with just treating people right and respectful while not sucking up to them. As far as Shueisha and Toei, I don't really have a lot of connects there (specially Shuiesha). That's more of a "friend of a friend" type thing if that makes sense.

Japan is REALLY hard to work with because of language and cultural barriers. For example, we'd send Aoni an email and they wouldn't respond for weeks and weeks. Pieces of art for official promotion all have to be approved by Japan or else they get mad. Completely different culture. But there's a few that will speak to us.

Indeed Danny. There are a few who I've seen follow some content creators on social media platforms. I've been noticing more of them lately too, it appears some who work closely on DB are watching us more than we may realize. Remember lads, in the past, most from Japan never actually knew how popular DB really is in the west. It's not surprising that some of them are now following some popular names in the fandom. I'm sure there are a few who keep an eye on popular social media accounts in the DB fandom.

https://scontent.ftpa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5C54688F

Word. I'm being followed by pretty much everybody important in the industry (and this is before Schemmel, Sabat, Kara Edwards, and Kyle Hebert).

Which btw, frightens me tremendously sometimes!

Toei also tweeted today a cryptic tweet about the trailer on Oct 5. :lolno:
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:44 am

Geekdom's here, how nice! My first go-to youtuber for DB updates. Mastar comes off as kinda arogant, OppaiSenpai doesn't seem to really be around much anymore, Seth has dumbass and pointless real-life logic when powerscaling, which makes him insufferable, and MasakoX is more about creation than information (though I like him too) :D

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:48 am

So with the second trailer on the horizon, we might finally hear the official theme for the film! There is the possibility that we might not hear it since they're treating the trailers for this film differently compared to the last two films. Also, there's usually an announcement before the second trailer about the artists that'll be making the song, but they haven't said anything yet. So either they're holding off on the announcement to just reveal it in the trailer or there is no theme for the film (which I doubt).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:59 am

I feel like they'll announce the song and band who are doing the theme at the NYCC panel. Or if it's someone too obscure intentionally they'll make it a Twitter post one of these Sundays.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:20 am

Saturnine wrote:Geekdom's here, how nice! My first go-to youtuber for DB updates. Mastar comes off as kinda arogant, OppaiSenpai doesn't seem to really be around much anymore, Seth has dumbass and pointless real-life logic when powerscaling, which makes him insufferable, and MasakoX is more about creation than information (though I like him too) :D
This belongs in a different threat but anyways, thanks for your kind words.

I also wonder where the heck Oppai has been... despite any opinions of his content, I worry about him

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:21 am

And they "retconned" planet Vegeta... Why am I not surprised? :| I better brace myself for the flood of retcons this movie will bring about to the lore we once knew.

Last edited by Grimlock on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:40 am

Grimlock wrote:And they "retconned" planet Vegeta... Why am I not surprised? :| I better embrace myself for the flood of retcons this movie will bring about to the lore we once knew.

Why just because now it isn't red?

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:49 am

What exactly did they retcon? Please don't say the colour of the sky.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:51 am

PFM18 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:And they "retconned" planet Vegeta... Why am I not surprised? :| I better embrace myself for the flood of retcons this movie will bring about to the lore we once knew.
A lot of planet Vegeta's scenes in the anime (if I'm not mistaking) were anime only so like with hell, if it wasn't in the manga then it's not a retcon.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:44 am

Cheelai and Lemo will be the first people that Broly comes across that isn't Paragus. So in a way, Broly's kinda like Goku back when he was a kid, who only knew Gohan while he was growing, up until he ran into Bulma. I'm curious if the film will point out that parallel.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:48 am

sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
A lot of planet Vegeta's scenes in the anime (if I'm not mistaking) were anime only so like with hell, if it wasn't in the manga then it's not a retcon.
To add to this, it’s not even red all the time.

In Radditz’s flashback it’s green and red with 2 rings, in King Kai’s flashback it’s a dark blue and in GT it’s also blue. It’s only red in the Bardock special and the King Vegeta Filler which came out not long after.

Also as you point out, until Minus, we have never seen the surface of the planet and if memory serves we only see it once or twice at a distance in the manga.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:03 am

And that's one consequence of not knowing how to determine canonicity of things - complaining about things that don't really count being retconned :p

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:13 am

Geekdom101 wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:

https://scontent.ftpa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5C54688F

Word. I'm being followed by pretty much everybody important in the industry (and this is before Schemmel, Sabat, Kara Edwards, and Kyle Hebert).

Which btw, frightens me tremendously sometimes!

Toei also tweeted today a cryptic tweet about the trailer on Oct 5. :lolno:
Yep, and not just the English dub workers, I'm willing to bet that a few from Toei Japan are probably keeping an eye as well, especially Twitter from what I've seen. I suppose in some way this is a good thing though right?

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:24 am

DainIronfoot wrote: Yep, and not just the English dub workers, I'm willing to bet that a few from Toei Japan are probably keeping an eye as well, especially Twitter from what I've seen. I suppose in some way this is a good thing though right?
There's a bit of a language barrier. I wish I spoke Japanese. Things would be so much easier.