Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:20 am

I hope they don't retcon Bardock's last stand.

Glen300

Post by Glen300 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:21 am

How did Goku get the Saiyan Armor off before Gohan found him? :lol:

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:23 am

I'm gonna bust a gut if animated Minus turns out to be >>> manga Minus.
Feels over Reals.

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:24 am

Glen300 wrote:How did Goku get the Saiyan Armor off before Gohan found him? :lol:
He didn’t. He was wearing it even after Gohan found him according to Minus.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:24 am

Glen300 wrote:How did Goku get the Saiyan Armor off before Gohan found him? :lol:
Via Minus at least, he didn't.

I'm okay with them bringing in Minus, it was only a matter of time really (though my head-canon will likely remain a weird combination of the two events, which isn't super hard to do really), so it'll be nice to actually see this stuff adapted at last. Hope FUNi's able to get a dub version of this trailer out pretty quickly like they did with the last one.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:25 am

Marlowe89 wrote:"Oh no, Freeza's in his original manga colors!"

Good.
His design is different though. We saw Freeza take off his armor in the manga.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:25 am

Grimlock wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:What exactly did they retcon? Please don't say the colour of the sky.
I mean, if we look outside Earth you'll find it's blue colored, once you are in the planet, you see blue sky at daylight. If you look outside Vegeta, you'll see it's red colored, probably you would see that the sky is red too, right?
Lord Frieza wrote:To add to this, it’s not even red all the time.
No, but it is red where and when it needs to be.
And this is such a big deal because..............
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:26 am

The trailer looks nice. But there are some very noticeable changes to the aesthetics of some well known characters and some rewrites of specific scenes that are certainly going to ruffle the feathers of some fans.

I hope the backstory on Broly and the ties between Freeza, King Cold and the Saiyans isn't fluff and has some tangible overreaching theme to the narrative of the movie or play into Broly's character arc (if he is to get one). The only reason I worry about this is due to the inclusion of the Ginyu Force. That just screams of time wasting for a glorified cameo.

Still very excited about the movie, but also taking caution with what kind of narrative we may get. The heavy inclusion of Minus scares me quite a bit as I don't like what that story brought to the table.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:28 am

ricky84 wrote:And this is such a big deal because..............
Don't know why/if it's a big deal, why would it be?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:30 am

RedHeat wrote:I'm gonna bust a gut if animated Minus turns out to be >>> manga Minus.
Most likely will be, since there will be more than a mere bonus chapter to work with it. It looks like it may in fact be 20-25mins.

I've always said Minus was too short to be anything, so hopefully now we can see a better story regarding the past from Toriyama.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:30 am

Doctor. wrote: His design is different though. We saw Freeza take off his armor in the manga.
I'm aware. That was directed at another remark I've been seeing around the net.

As far as Freeza's design goes, you could chalk that up to him maybe being younger or even altering his suppressed form himself. I think it's minor as far as aesthetic changes go, so I'm not terribly peeved about it.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:31 am

I wonder if that Pink Frieza is a new form or a predecessor to what we know as his current first form? His first form isn't exactly obscure so I don't think that'd just slip by without someone catching it. His limbs and chest both look different there.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:32 am

These guys sure do look familiar. :lol: I doubt they'll actually say or do anything and they're just there for nerd like us to point out and say "Hey! It's those guys!"

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:33 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:I wonder if that Pink Frieza is a new form or a predecessor to what we know as his current first form? His first form isn't exactly obscure so I don't think that'd just slip by without someone catching it. His limbs and chest both look different there.
Maybe because he is still very young the color of his skin hasn't fully developed yet

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:33 am

perucho1990 wrote:Goku Vegeta and Broly are now basically destined children, one of the reasons I could see Broly surviving the movie.
If there implying all three were genetically modified, that kinda takes away from Goku being a low class and getting where he is through hard work.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:35 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: His design is different though. We saw Freeza take off his armor in the manga.
I'm aware. That was directed at another remark I've been seeing around the net.

As far as Freeza's design goes, you could chalk that up to him maybe being younger or even altering his suppressed form himself. I think it's minor as far as aesthetic changes go, so I'm not terribly peeved about it.
I don't think anyone's peeved about the changes. The color is just a weird change considering the anime has had his color scheme solidified for decades now and the body shape is a weird change considering we had a perfectly fine design available (which Yamamuro even used in his F storyboard, so Toei wasn't unaware). Combined with other pointless retcons like Vegeta's age, and you wonder who the heck this movie is meant to appeal to: a new demographic via a modernized look both in aesthetic and character designs and revamped lore, or to the old fans by bringing back Broly and focusing on action? It's stuck in this weird limbo like most of modern Dragon Ball is.

And frankly, I just think the anime's color scheme looks much better on Freeza, same with his old armorless manga design.

I really do wonder how Vegeta got his "I was stronger than my dad as a child" idea now.
Last edited by Doctor. on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:37 am

Trek405

Post by Trek405 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:40 am

RIP the kid vegeta design from my pfp

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:43 am

"Cast-off warrior: Broly"

:roll: As expected, they're trying to retcon Broly into what Goku was portrayed as in the Saiyan arc. Poor, tragic Broly was cast away and abused by his selfish father while Kakarotto got to survive because his parents wuvved him.

The backstory for Broly has potential, but I just know they're gonna turn it into a melodramatic shlock à la modern Shounen, since there's no place for subtlety in modern Dragon Ball. They just wanna make you cry with this kitsch shit, don't they? That's the objective, apparently, making you cry in the first thirty minutes.

The colors look nice, I guess.

Drellz26
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Drellz26 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:46 am

Please put Kid Vegeta in every video game.

At first I was weirded out by the new Frieza design but I think it’s an age/suppression thing. New design makes him look younger which would tie him even more to the Saiyans if they are closer in age or he could just be further suppressed than Namek because he wasn’t as strong yet. Still a very weird look but it would make a bit of sense.