Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by precita » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Interesting there is no Cooler, I guess he'll never become canon if they don't show him now.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:58 pm

precita wrote:Interesting there is no Cooler, I guess he'll never become canon if they don't show him now.
Thank god. The last thing we need is another reboot.

Inb4 this movie has an after credits scene showing Cooler or some shit and i spoke too soon.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:01 pm

precita wrote:Interesting there is no Cooler, I guess he'll never become canon if they don't show him now.
Would be cool if King Cold hinted at Coola like for example "You take this section of the Galaxy and your brother takes the other", wouldn't be mad if he wasn't mentioned though

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:02 pm

I like how the trailer looks. It was nice seeing the Ginyu force and King Cold again. Also, I see a lot of people commenting on Freeza's appearance in the trailer, he lacks the armor and looks very pink without the stripes. I wonder if he was actually a child in the trailer which would make him closer to Vegeta and Goku in age :crazy: . What I hate the most are the retcons. Vegeta should be older than Goku and we all know how the fandom feels about minus (myself included). I'm going to roll with it though, I like the franchise too much despite the rampant revisionism. Let's hope it's at least enjoyable to watch.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:10 pm

snpaa wrote:I know it's the cool thing to make fun of brolly's backstory but their was a reason for why he hated goku, he was nearly killed at the same time goku was crying his in his crib, it's same thing as a veteran soldier going apeshit after hearing a fire cracker , they're suffering from ptsd and goku is his trigger.
I resent that comment, I have my own mind.

I saw nothing of that sort in the movie, all that it showed me was Broly being utterly insane due to his power and being mind controlled, Goku's connection is nothing more than forced because Broly had to have a reason to attack Goku.
You can't say x story did something if the writing did nothing to developed that plot point in particular.

snpaa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by snpaa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:31 pm

LightBing wrote:
snpaa wrote:I know it's the cool thing to make fun of brolly's backstory but their was a reason for why he hated goku, he was nearly killed at the same time goku was crying his in his crib, it's same thing as a veteran soldier going apeshit after hearing a fire cracker , they're suffering from ptsd and goku is his trigger.

I saw nothing of that sort in the movie, all that it showed me was Broly being utterly insane due to his power and being mind controlled, Goku's connection is nothing more than forced because Broly had to have a reason to attack Goku.
You can't say x story did something if the writing did nothing to developed that plot point in particular.
I don't disagree that he is unstable because his power and mind control , but we are talking about his hatred for goku,he literally got stabbed as goku was crying in the background, it can reasonably be ascertained that he experienced some form ptsd from nearly being killed at this moment. you choose not to see it because you have already been influenced by others with the popular argument that "Brolly hates goku because he cried" which is a simplification and misrepresentation of events.

We all know that goku is brolly's trigger and I gave you the in story reason , you can choose to ignore that and continue with the popular belief of what his motivations were , it's okay.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Extreme_kai wrote:I like how the trailer looks. It was nice seeing the Ginyu force and King Cold again. Also, I see a lot of people commenting on Freeza's appearance in the trailer, he lacks the armor and looks very pink without the stripes. I wonder if he was actually a child in the trailer which would make him closer to Vegeta and Goku in age :crazy: . What I hate the most are the retcons. Vegeta should be older than Goku and we all know how the fandom feels about minus (myself included). I'm going to roll with it though, I like the franchise too much despite the rampant revisionism. Let's hope it's at least enjoyable to watch.
I dont think vegeta is a baby at the same time as goku. We see a kid vegeta in the trailer, we dont see anything older than toddler Goku.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:40 pm

LightBing wrote:

theres never an emphasis on anything resembling PTSD. It is literally just because he is crying. No it is not "the cool thing to do." It is just reasonable for people to dislike a guy who's backstory is focused around a baby crying next to him.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:41 pm

nato25 wrote:
Extreme_kai wrote:I like how the trailer looks. It was nice seeing the Ginyu force and King Cold again. Also, I see a lot of people commenting on Freeza's appearance in the trailer, he lacks the armor and looks very pink without the stripes. I wonder if he was actually a child in the trailer which would make him closer to Vegeta and Goku in age :crazy: . What I hate the most are the retcons. Vegeta should be older than Goku and we all know how the fandom feels about minus (myself included). I'm going to roll with it though, I like the franchise too much despite the rampant revisionism. Let's hope it's at least enjoyable to watch.
I dont think vegeta is a baby at the same time as goku. We see a kid vegeta in the trailer, we dont see anything older than toddler Goku.
It literally says in the trailer that Bardock, Broly, and Goku are born around the same time. 5 year gap is NOT around the same time.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

snpaa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by snpaa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:05 pm

PFM18 wrote:
LightBing wrote:

theres never an emphasis on anything resembling PTSD. It is literally just because he is crying. No it is not "the cool thing to do." It is just reasonable for people to dislike a guy who's backstory is focused around a baby crying next to him.
The man goes berserk when he see's goku or hears his name , why do you believe he does that ? How is that not ptsd ,When goku is a clear trigger for him and goku clearly crying while he was having the most traumatic moment of his life?

I willing to accept that I'm wrong if you can put a reasonable counter argument .

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:07 pm

Rakurai wrote:Goddamn it. We all knew Minus was going to be the backstory but now that it's basically confirmed it kind of hurts.

Shame to see that the ordinary story of Goku, the Saiyan who was sent to destroy Earth but ended up protecting it, and the tragic but somewhat meaningful fate of Bardock the Saiyan avenger turn into a tale about family feels and Superman origins. Fuck modern Dragon Ball.
Especially since U7 saiyans aren't supposed to have family feelings at all (with royal saiyans like Vegeta being the exceptions) according to Toriyama himself:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... -super-qa/

What the hell is he thinking with all these pointless retcons? The 90s Bardock special was fine as it is, there's no to change Bardock's story and take away his badass last stand against Freeza. Gine is an alright character but DB Minus is garbage.
Last edited by ricky84 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 pm

PFM18 wrote:
theres never an emphasis on anything resembling PTSD.
Then you clearly weren't paying attention to Movie 8's details.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:15 pm

Grimlock wrote:They better not take away one of the best things Bardock did in life... :|

Oh, Gine is voiced by 渡辺菜生子 (Watanabe Naoko).
If you mean his badass rebellion, its gone

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:16 pm

snpaa wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
LightBing wrote: I resent that comment, I have my own mind.

The man goes berserk when he see's goku or hears his name , why do you believe he does that ? How is that not ptsd ,When goku is a clear trigger for him and goku clearly crying while he was having the most traumatic moment of his life?

I willing to accept that I'm wrong if you can put a reasonable counter argument .
Well I worded my response poorly I'm sorry. There's never an emphasis on his PTSD being related to an attack on his life and THEN hearing Goku cry. They never really insinuated a connection there. Goku does have PTSD, but it is literally just a result of Goku crying next to him. Yes, there is a trigger and there's obviously a very negative association with this trigger. He does have PTSD my bad.

Point is, you arent "just trying to be cool" to criticize the fact that Broly's backstory is centered around a baby crying next to him.

It was the most forced way for him to hate the main character instead of Vegeta. Logically, he SHOULD have hated Vegeta for his father trying to kill him, but they didnt want to do that because Vegeta isnt the main character.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:18 pm

It would be a missed opportunity if they don't show Raditz, Nappa (with hair), Cooler, Tarble, Bardock's old crew and Vegeta's mother.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:24 pm

they better fix the Bardock rebellion thing. That would fuck everything up

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:24 pm

Sometimes scenes in trailers aren't the same in the final movie, that's my only hope for the lack of Bardock and the Freeza soldiers in space.

Oh god they can't ruin that, it's going to be horrible!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:24 pm

ricky84 wrote:It would be a missed opportunity if they don't show Raditz, Nappa (with hair), Cooler, Tarble, Bardock's old crew and Vegeta's mother.
At least one of Bardock's crew (Borgos/Toteppo) is in the crowd shot when they're bowing to Frieza.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:29 pm

My hope for them to show Vegeta's mom is slim now that I've seen the throne room only has one chair.

I think chances still exist for Bardock's rebellion though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:33 pm

Frieza's colors are based on his manga appearance and happy to see the original Frieza force Frieza really needs to get replacements for dodoria,zarbon,and the ginyu force Frieza needs some more better and competent henchmen to be worthy successors.