Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:30 pm

Bullza wrote:I'm sure it's been answered somewhere but I'll ask again.

Are they doing a retcon so that Goku and Vegeta are now the same age?
All it says is they're born around the same time. We see Vegeta out on a planet that looks like the one from Minus so he's likely older than Goku still.

Oracle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Oracle » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:31 pm

"Three saiyans born at around the same time" does not necessarily mean that they are "the same age". It could mean that they were born in the same generation (10 year gap, maybe?). Plus, we haven't seen the movie yet.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:36 pm

On that front, has the manga ever suggested what the age difference between Goku and Vegeta was? I don't it ever stating or suggesting Vegeta being "X" years older than Goku.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:38 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:

All it says is they're born around the same time. We see Vegeta out on a planet that looks like the one from Minus so he's likely older than Goku still.
Yeah. We still see Vegeta as a child versus just seeing Goku as an infant.
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:

On that front, has the manga ever suggested what the age difference between Goku and Vegeta was? I don't it ever stating or suggesting Vegeta being "X" years older than Goku.
Episode of Bardock, Dragon Ball Minus and the Daizenshuu it seems have apparently all mentioned Vegeta being 5 years older.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:44 pm

The pink skin on Freeza makes me think the past segment will place a bigger emphasis on the youthfulness of the four leads compared to the present day. Older material implied Freeza was just this ageless being, but here it looks like we will see a slightly different side of him in the past compared to the present. It does make the apparent agelessness of Zarbon, Dodoria and the Ginyus a little harder to swallow, but doesn't matter. They're probably just a cameo.

Plus, I love Chris Ayres saying "hello monkeys" in his ickle kiddy Freeza voice.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:54 pm

I hope we see Bardock's Saiyan team with Dodoria killing them.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:57 pm

precita wrote:I hope we see Bardock's Saiyan team with Dodoria killing them.
This seems like its going to be 30 minutes, there is no way this is just minus

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:57 pm

Kataphrut wrote:The pink skin on Freeza makes me think the past segment will place a bigger emphasis on the youthfulness of the four leads compared to the present day. Older material implied Freeza was just this ageless being, but here it looks like we will see a slightly different side of him in the past compared to the present. It does make the apparent agelessness of Zarbon, Dodoria and the Ginyus a little harder to swallow, but doesn't matter. They're probably just a cameo.

Plus, I love Chris Ayres saying "hello monkeys" in his ickle kiddy Freeza voice.
No, the pink on Freeza has nothing to do with Freeza's age, heck, nothing has changed with Freeza's age from something else we've seen before. Freeza is the normal age we know him by. Don't get fooled by this new design.

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:59 pm

Oracle wrote:

"Three saiyans born at around the same time" does not necessarily mean that they are "the same age". It could mean that they were born in the same generation (10 year gap, maybe?). Plus, we haven't seen the movie yet.
It's such a weird choice of flavor text. Talk about a non-committal way to establish a supposedly important relationship. "Three people with vaguely similar but not particularly precise characteristics..."

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:59 pm

Hey, guys what if the rebellion in the movie takes place on planet vegeta instead of above it?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:01 pm

This movie already appears unoriginal enough as it is. The last thing we need is them retreading something else.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:07 pm

Here's a strange idea to explain Vegeta's age, fellas.

What if Vegeta was indeed born at around the same time as Kakarot and Broly....... but left his incubating pod early and thus grew up earlier than Kakarot?

Think this could work?

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:08 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:The pink skin on Freeza makes me think the past segment will place a bigger emphasis on the youthfulness of the four leads compared to the present day. Older material implied Freeza was just this ageless being, but here it looks like we will see a slightly different side of him in the past compared to the present. It does make the apparent agelessness of Zarbon, Dodoria and the Ginyus a little harder to swallow, but doesn't matter. They're probably just a cameo.

No, the pink on Freeza has nothing to do with Freeza's age, heck, nothing has changed with Freeza's age from something else we've seen before. Freeza is the normal age we know him by. Don't get fooled by this new design.
I'm not saying they've changed his age (have we ever been given a canon age for Freeza?), I'm saying the new design for his first form being different compared to the present is good visual storytelling and implies growth (physical and character-wise). After all, it's weird having a trailer that puts so much emphasis on Goku, Vegeta and Broly as kids compared to their adult selves, but have Freeza look the same as he did forty years ago (albeit in a his final form instead of his first).

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:09 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Here's a strange idea to explain Vegeta's age, fellas.

What if Vegeta was indeed born at around the same time as Kakarot and Broly....... but left his incubating pod early and thus grew up earlier than Kakarot?

Think this could work?
The incubators don't stop the aging process, so that doesn't work.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:13 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Here's a strange idea to explain Vegeta's age, fellas.

Think this could work?
Also, like...those flashback scenes could be taking place at different times?

Seriously, the trailer begins with Freeza conquering Planet Vegeta and ends with him blowing it up. There has to have been at least a few years of the Saiyans actually working for him between those events. So Vegeta could have easily been born around the time Freeza first showed up, while Goku and Broly are born closer to the end.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:14 pm

Dragono wrote:Hey, guys what if the rebellion in the movie takes place on planet vegeta instead of above it?
Is like that. Might not be as badass but still
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:17 pm

Freeza's appearance has nothing to do with his age. People forget that Freeza's first 3 forms were created mainly to control his power (since he never trained before Super). So the look of his 1st form is likely a result of him still getting the hang of his power. Plus, 1st form Freeza was never shown without amour during the Bardock/King Vegeta era in DBZ, so its excusable.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:18 pm

Dragono wrote:Hey, guys what if the rebellion in the movie takes place on planet vegeta instead of above it?
That's the best case scenario we can hope for based on the trailer.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:23 pm

If Freeza was ageless then he wouldn't have tried to wish for eternal life. Maybe its just that Freeza's race (and those of his forces) simply has a much longer lifespan than Saiyans, Namekians and Humans.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:42 pm

Someone on the wiki site pointed out you can see Borgos, or at least, somone who looks a lot like him, in one of the crowds