Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:26 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:So this movie will retcon the Bardock Special, Broly's character and backstory, Bardock's character and backstory, Goku's backstory, Vegeta's age, AND Frieza's first form appearance? :crazy:
My childhood basically never happened.
Your childhood still happened, but it's getting retconned. 8)
Can't be retconned if it was never canon to begin with.
The "canon" word doesn't mean anything anymore in this franchise, because the manga is algo getting retconned.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:31 pm

You know the whole thing: "Three destinies will cross paths" would be interesting if we ignored that Vegeta have met Goku long ago and now they fight on the same side.

This probably is directed to the flashback parts, I guess.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Noah wrote:You know the whole thing: "Three destinies will cross paths" would be interesting if we ignored that Vegeta have met Goku long ago and now they fight on the same side.

This probably is directed to the flashback parts, I guess.
I don't see how Goku and Vegeta's relationship devalue that statement. All three of them are finally in the same place at the same time.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Doctor. wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:It finally clicked for me this morning. Bardock and Gine said they were going to tell Raditz about Kakarot because they were still expecting him to come home. Frieza's order was for all Saiyans to return and they had no way of knowing Vegeta told him to ignore it. They never told him because he never came home.

The Galactic Patrol came to the same conclusion Raditz did; the Earth's a lowly backwater planet with weak inhabitants so the Saiyans sent a child to conquer it.
And now you realize the obvious plothole in the room of how the fuck Raditz found out Goku went to Earth when his parents never told him and they stole a pod so that they wouldn't be tracked.
Raditz could have later did research on Goku through the empire's data to find out where he was sent.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:42 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:Is Bardock voiced by someone new, or is it the same guy just using his voice differently? It feels a little odd to me, since I'm used to the old Bardock's voice. King Cold also sounds different.
Its still Sonny Straight
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:44 pm

Bullza wrote:Bardock is too popular for his own good, he's not a particularly good or interesting character at all.
Bardock in the 90s special is easily one of the best written/developed characters in the whole franchise. That's why he's so popular, especially with Japanese fans.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Noah wrote:You know the whole thing: "Three destinies will cross paths" would be interesting if we ignored that Vegeta have met Goku long ago and now they fight on the same side.
I don't see how Goku and Vegeta's relationship devalue that statement. All three of them are finally in the same place at the same time.
Yes it does, there's no mystery between their relationship up to this point, in fact it was milked to death after the end of the Majin Boo arc. If we had a new Saiyan character, neutral to the conflict between Goku and Broly, it would be amusing.

Somehow similar to take of the western movie: "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

fadeddreams5 wrote:So this movie will retcon the Bardock Special, Broly's character and backstory, Bardock's character and backstory, Goku's backstory, Vegeta's age, AND Frieza's first form appearance? :crazy:

Don't worry. Is not like you have to consider any of these changes to whatever is your head canon, this franchise has no official continuity stated on anywhere.

So you can still pretty much just watch this movie for sheer entertainment only.

PFM18 wrote:One way or another they better fix it. Not pink Freeza though, keep that the same. It gives him a young look that I appreciate. Or Vegeta's kid hair, don't change that back.
Yeah, although I would despise to waste time with another retold arc, I guess it would be nice if they fixed these mistakes like the BoG arc did with it's movie.
ekrolo2 wrote:Roshi also says Grampa Gohan found a baby, not a toddler, an actual baby which a 3 year old who can walk and fight is not.
Oh, this seems like a contradiction between Minus and the original manga, probably another reason why we shouldn't desconsider this as a part of the main story.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:55 pm

Noah wrote:
Yes it does, there's no mystery between their relationship up to this point, in fact it was milked to death after the end of the Majin Boo arc. If we had a new Saiyan character, neutral to the conflict between Goku and Broly, it would be amusing.
How? We have no idea exactly why and what this "destiny" between the 3 saiyans is. You are jumping to conclusions.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:59 pm

ricky84 wrote:How? We have no idea exactly why and what this "destiny" between the 3 saiyans is. You are jumping to conclusions.
Well, it seems like only referencing that these characters will be together on the same battlefield. Very simple to me.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Noah wrote:
ricky84 wrote:How? We have no idea exactly why and what this "destiny" between the 3 saiyans is. You are jumping to conclusions.
Well, it seems like only referencing that these characters will be together on the same battlefield. Very simple to me.
But it didn't reveal why its happening nor why these 3 are "special" to begin with.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:18 pm

ricky84 wrote:But it didn't reveal why its happening nor why these 3 are "special" to begin with.
It's pretty obvious mate:

Freeza discovers Broly and use him a weapon to attack the Earth, Goku and Vegeta go on to interfere and the whole battle starts.

- Goku is special cause he's the main character and the one who avenged the Saiyans by defeating Freeza once.
- Vegeta is special cause he's the Saiyan prince.
- Broly is special cause he was born with a overwhelming potential to the point of his own race fear what he could become.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:22 pm

ssj3kakarot wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:It finally clicked for me this morning. Bardock and Gine said they were going to tell Raditz about Kakarot because they were still expecting him to come home. Frieza's order was for all Saiyans to return and they had no way of knowing Vegeta told him to ignore it. They never told him because he never came home.

The Galactic Patrol came to the same conclusion Raditz did; the Earth's a lowly backwater planet with weak inhabitants so the Saiyans sent a child to conquer it.
And now you realize the obvious plothole in the room of how the fuck Raditz found out Goku went to Earth when his parents never told him and they stole a pod so that they wouldn't be tracked.

That could be a simple backstory. Raditz hears a rumor, somehow, about how a 3 year old Saiyan was sent away. Anyway, they do some abra-kadabra science, and poof! Raditz knows he's on Earth. That could further explain why he left Nappa and Vegeta. Raditz found out about his long lost brother and disbanded to get his brother back.
Just to add some further thoughts to this, I think Raditz's knowledge of Goku's mission becomes a real headscratcher once the story introduces the concept of the Saiyans working for Frieza's planetary trade business because you have to reconcile that with the fact that nobody in Frieza's organization, including Frieza himself, seems to have any idea that they have another surviving Saiyan asset on Earth who's been on assignmenment for more than 20 years. If he was sent there on a mission there should be records of at least the departure.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:55 pm

PFM18 wrote:Now I have two things to worry about in this movie for the sake of my sanity; Bardock's rebellion scene being shown, and SSBE making an appearance.
TheMikado wrote:
Low Tone G wrote:I wonder what will happen to Frieza? To be honest he still deserves to die...
He shouldn't be alive again in the first place....
And why the hell not?
Because the guy has the worse track record against difficult opponents, this is of course ignoring the murderous streaks and such. Out of universe he needs to go away, and personally he is my least favorite. Either make him part of the cast or a regular or don't.
ricky84 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Low Tone G wrote:I wonder what will happen to Frieza? To be honest he still deserves to die...
He shouldn't be alive again in the first place....
Bringing him back for the ToP did make sense though, since they need the strongest fighters possible for help.
No way. I don't know what happened to Cell, but he would have been a million times better.
Cell has wings: Can fly.
Can reproduce asexual: Spawn Cell Jrs. in the ring nearly as strong as him.
Can regenerate like Piccolo.
Gets Zenkais like saiyans.
Knows all the saiyans moves.
Has Saiyan and Frieza DNA, a couple of hours in the RoSaT and he could have probably gotten SSG/SSB/Golden etc.

Cell could literally spawn Cell jrs, fly around, blow himself up all over the ring, regenerate, and get a Zenkai.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:24 pm

I wonder if Raditz will make any appearance at all. 4 destinies colliding? No? lol.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:32 pm

The trailer was ok, Superman Goku is just so cliche one of the reason why I loved the Bardock Special (1990) cause it felt so different.
    fadeddreams5 wrote:I wonder if Raditz will make any appearance at all. 4 destinies colliding? No? lol.
    Raditz did appear in Minus so there is hope to see this scrub on screen.
    Last edited by Spider-Man on Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grimlock
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:33 pm

sintzu wrote:Bardock's last stand gave weight to Goku's fight and victory over Freeza on Namek. If they take that away then a part of what makes their "rivalry" special will be lost and Freeza will just be another villain Goku beats just because.
    Everything you can think of will be lost if they omit Bardock's stand. Of all things and stuff to retcon, this is absolutely not one of them.
    fadeddreams5 wrote:I wonder if Raditz will make any appearance at all. 4 destinies colliding? No? lol.
    I wonder if Tarble will make any appearance at all. 5 destinies colliding? No? Okay. :)
    Last edited by Grimlock on Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Bergamo
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Noah wrote:
    Bergamo wrote:

Somehow similar to take of the western movie: "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Don't worry. Is not like you have to consider any of these changes to whatever is your head canon, this franchise has no official continuity stated on anywhere.

So you can still pretty much just watch this movie for sheer entertainment only.

PFM18 wrote:One way or another they better fix it. Not pink Freeza though, keep that the same. It gives him a young look that I appreciate. Or Vegeta's kid hair, don't change that back.
    Yeah, although I would despise to waste time with another retold arc, I guess it would be nice if they fixed these mistakes like the BoG arc did with it's movie.
    ekrolo2 wrote:Roshi also says Grampa Gohan found a baby, not a toddler, an actual baby which a 3 year old who can walk and fight is not.
    Oh, this seems like a contradiction between Minus and the original manga, probably another reason why we shouldn't desconsider this as a part of the main story.
    The series does have a continuity. The dragon ball manga is the story of Goku, and Dragon Ball super is the continuation of that story. You can't disregard the new movie, because it is factually part of the story started in Dragon Ball chapter 1.
    My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Miracles
    I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:18 pm

So what's popular to whine about now concerning Toriyama's story about Bardock and company?

PFM18
    Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:20 pm

I found the trailer to be a bit disappointing and worrisome, but I'm still extremely excited for this movie.

....and it'll bring about more juicy power scaling discussions!

sintzu
    Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Miracles wrote:So what's popular to whine about now concerning Toriyama's story about Bardock and company?
    Goku's backstory is like Superman's now.

Bardock's special is no longer "canon".

Freeza has a new base design.

Goku and Vegeta's ages are now closer to each other.
    July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.