Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Other than Bardock, King Vegeta and Gine on how they might be mishandled, I'm worried about Tarble too. Will they make the mistake of ignoring him completely or will they miraculously and vaguely mention him but only to be forgotten in the future/possible anime retelling again?

If only the "main series" was in safe hands, we wouldn't have to worry about so many things. By the way, we are one week away from Bardock's TV Special turning 28 years old. Might not be a great year to celebrate it though...
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Yes. Namely the Black Saga. Is that really that hard to believe? Come on now. You act like its some super complex story that nobody can ever figure out.
It is more complex than most if not all previous Dragon Ball stories. Dragon Ball stories are generally quite simple. See but that isn't really the point.
Black and Zamasu being the same person, The Mafuba being used in some shape or form, Zamasu fusing, the appearance of Vegetto and the use of the Zeno Button is what finally ends Zamasu were all things I saw coming from a mile away.
Alright, so when it was revealed that it was "an Evil Goku" you knew what that meant? You knew that this was going to be a story about a corrupt God who had stolen Goku's body in order to create a new world order and to take on the "sins of the mortals"? You knew that Zamasu and Black would fuse? You knew that Trunks was going to "kill" Zamasu just for his immortal body to envelop the Universe?

I still find it hard to believe that you predicted all of those things you claim you predicted. Nobody saw Zeno getting the final kill coming. Sure, Zamasu and Black being the same guy may have been a bit easier but still.
O, and the moment Universe 9 was erased it was clear to me the winning wish was to be to restore all the erased universes.
That is the most basic possible prediction that you could draw from the arc. Did you not know Krillin would be revived both times he died? Or that Goku would come back after the Cell arc?

Did you know that Goku would get a new form only to "lose" anyway? That Goku and Freeza would ring out Jiren together? That Android fucking 17 would be the winner of the damn tournament? That Gohan would sacrifice himself and ring himself out? That 17 would blow himself up and survive? Or that Freeza would shoot a Death Beam at Goku to save him from a ringout? That Vegeta would defeat a God of Destruction?

Nobody predicted the ending of the Tournament of Power correctly. Not even close. Even within the tiny scope of being a couple episodes away when it should be easier.

The Universe 6 tournament nobody predicted either. Goku lost in the 2nd round of this tournament. The main character. Vegeta, the "jobber" won 3 matches in a row. Goku threw the match against Hit, only for him to throw the match against Monaka. The heralded strongest warrior in the 7th Universe was in fact just a decoy and motivation for Goku and Vegeta?

Toriyama's writing is as predictable as ever.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
CTAkuma wrote: You are speaking as though Bardock is the most important part of this movie, which he isn't as he is just meant to represent Goku's father like Paragus and King Vegeta do to the other 2.
Bardock is the most important part of the problem people had with the trailer. So thats why he’s been brought up so many times by people these past few days
There is no problem with Bardock. First between the moment he come back from his planetary mission with his pal and the destruction of Planet Vegeta there is one whole month (so enough time to change outfit). Second the rebelion is yet not shown because Toei & Co have their marketing schedule and it will be shown in the third trailer release which will coincide with the teasing of Gogeta too.

Also thirdly Trailer are missleading, I'm still baffled at how people hasn't learn on how trailer either japanese, french or english are not put in chronological order and also doesn't shown the final product. I've learned this lesson since the 90's DAMN PEOPLE ! :crazy:
See but this is just you assuming. Nothing outrightt proves that Toei is purposely hiding the rebellion. Also, even besides the rebellion, people still have problems with Bardock’s character
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:52 pm

The movie will probably wow me in all the other parts but as of now, the parts talking about Goku’s origins and Bardock will disappoint me.

Also, I'm lowkey more excited to know what they next arc will be about. I mean, there aren’t really any more surprises left for this movie. Not unless Yamoshi shows up somehow. And as someone who called Gogeta since the beginning, he isn’t really a surprise either.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:25 pm

This movie means nothing if the battles are bad and spray painted with heavy CGI.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Miracles wrote:This movie means nothing if the battles are bad and spray painted with heavy CGI.
Well, it depends on how the CGI is used. Good CGI can be a real visual treat, but bad CGI can also be pretty bad.

I'm cautiously optimistic to see how it's implemented in the final product.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:41 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
Miracles wrote:This movie means nothing if the battles are bad and spray painted with heavy CGI.
Well, it depends on how the CGI is used. Good CGI can be a real visual treat, but bad CGI can also be pretty bad.

I'm cautiously optimistic to see how it's implemented in the final product.
True. I too have a positive view of the CGI since we seen a sample of it when Dark haired Broly and Blue Goku trading blows.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:45 pm

PFM18 wrote:
It is more complex than most if not all previous Dragon Ball stories. Dragon Ball stories are generally quite simple. See but that isn't really the point.
Black and Zamasu being the same person, The Mafuba being used in some shape or form, Zamasu fusing, the appearance of Vegetto and the use of the Zeno Button is what finally ends Zamasu were all things I saw coming from a mile away.
Alright, so when it was revealed that it was "an Evil Goku" you knew what that meant? You knew that this was going to be a story about a corrupt God who had stolen Goku's body in order to create a new world order and to take on the "sins of the mortals"? You knew that Zamasu and Black would fuse? You knew that Trunks was going to "kill" Zamasu just for his immortal body to envelop the Universe?

I still find it hard to believe that you predicted all of those things you claim you predicted. Nobody saw Zeno getting the final kill coming. Sure, Zamasu and Black being the same guy may have been a bit easier but still.
Again, it's not rocket science.

My immediate first thought for the original promo for the Black arc was that Black was some kind of evil Supreme Kai. nd when they revealed Zamasu in that magazine I knew they were the same guy. And Yes, I knew they'd fuse. And I knew Vegetto would face them.

As for the Zeno button, right after he gave that to Goku it was obvious to me that was going to be what finished the arc up.

Did I know every single detail? No. Did I predict exact lines of dialogue and exact actions? No. But I called the big stuff. Not that it's a big deal that i did.

Honestly, I don't even know why I have to prove myself to you. I know you're a big Super fan and I'm not, but we're not discussing quality here. You're getting bent out of shape of me predicting majority of the Black arc as if its some sort of crime. All I'm saying is that I knew the direction they were going. The posts about it have been long since buried on other sites, and as shocking as this may seem, I talked about it in person. So there's no way to prove that beyond my word.

If you don't believe me, fine. I won't lose sleep over it.
Last edited by Dbzfan94 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:49 pm

Anyone have an educated guess on when we can pre order tickets for the west? I can't remember how soon BoG and RoF let you do so.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:54 pm

PFM18 wrote:Nobody saw Zeno getting the final kill coming.
Literally everyone saw this coming once episode #55 aired and Goku got the button (I'd tell you to go read through the episode threads but they're gone now; I'm pretty sure I even predicted he'd blow up the timeline, either that or that his summon wouldn't be a positive thing), just like everybody saw Whis turning back time at the end of RoF coming when he revealed he could do it at the start of the film. Toriyama is not subtle with his foreshadowing when he actually plans out a story. It's in your face. The original manga was unpredictable precisely because he was making shit up from week to week.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:02 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Literally everyone saw this coming once episode #55 aired and Goku got the button (I'd tell you to go read through the episode threads but they're gone now), just like everybody saw Whis turning back time at the end of RoF coming when he revealed he could do it at the start of the film. Toriyama is not subtle with his foreshadowing when he actually plans out a story. It's in your face. The original manga was unpredictable precisely because he was making shit up from week to week.
Alright well maybe in a more general sense people may have seen that aspect coming and the Zeno button isn't the best example. But still, my point stands. Very, VERY few people predicted even close to what actually happened like the several other examples I gave.
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Whatever. Whether or not I believe you is kind of irrelevant. The point I was making with all of the examples I gave were that Super really isn't any more predictable than the original series was.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:12 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Whatever. Whether or not I believe you is kind of irrelevant. The point I was making with all of the examples I gave were that Super really isn't any more predictable than the original series was.
You're the one who keeps insisting, "I find it hard to believe..." so how it is irrelevant?

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:32 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:And as someone who called Gogeta since the beginning, he isn’t really a surprise either.
That is not an impressive prediction since everyone sort of knew with the Movie rereleases that Gogeta may be part of it. The movie villain being Broli wasn't difficult either to predict

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:03 pm

I don't think it was a popular opinion that Broly would be the main villain before it was revealed, even with the teaser trailer that briefly showed him no one really thought it was him.

Gogeta would be a surprise too I'd be willing to bet, if it wasn't for the Xenoverse extra pack list and the movie reshowings.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:09 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Literally everyone saw this coming once episode #55 aired and Goku got the button (I'd tell you to go read through the episode threads but they're gone now), just like everybody saw Whis turning back time at the end of RoF coming when he revealed he could do it at the start of the film. Toriyama is not subtle with his foreshadowing when he actually plans out a story. It's in your face. The original manga was unpredictable precisely because he was making shit up from week to week.
Alright well maybe in a more general sense people may have seen that aspect coming and the Zeno button isn't the best example. But still, my point stands. Very, VERY few people predicted even close to what actually happened like the several other examples I gave.
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Maybe I just got better at reading cues or something but I feel Super telegraphed things way too easily, much more so than the original series.

Battle of Gods - I'd say that was unpredictable, the new power up and the outcome of that fight were pretty unique, as was Beerus just leaving them alone.

Resurrection F - Very predictable. Whis rewind time ability being talked about right at the start basically ruined it in my opinion and Freeza was never sticking around, obvious he would get the L from the start.

Universe 6 vs 7 - Pretty predictable, Universe 7 in a very small win although I guess they shouldn't have had that as Hit was probably going to win that fight, so I guess that is something different.

Future Trunks Arc - Yeah the Zeno button was a dead giveaway however bringing back future zeno to the current timeline and trunks going to live in another timeline with mai and doubles of themselves was cool. Vegito was easy to predict with potara being around too I guess as was Zamasu merging. I don't think I guessed Zamasu was also Black.

Universe Survival Arc - Yeah the end result of Universe 7 winning was predictable as was the wish and Goku mastering Ultra Instinct. 17 winning was a surprise I suppose as was Vegeta getting a new transformation and a lot of things in between.

Seems the big story beats are what is easy to guess but a lot of people would say it's the journey not the destination.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Beerus and Whis do kinda kill all tension when they're around. And while I love the idea in theory of Gokû and Vegeta training together under Whis they really haven't done enough with that imo to make me say I'd miss that so.....I think I'd be ok with them writing Beerus and Whis out. (It'd be sad to lose East Kaioshin as well, but that's the brakes I guess.)

Only reason I don't think that would happen is that Whis has effectively replaced Kaio as the exposition guy.
PFM18 wrote:Well it's Dragon Ball, death is never permanent lol.
This is true, but I'm talking more about the tension during battles, not so much the cleanup.

The dragon balls are a bandaid, but Beerus and Whis are training wheels/swim arm floaties/child proof locks.
I don't think it's that bad to be honest. In the first arc Beerus was the threat. In the second arc, the reveal that Whis could turn back time wasn't revealed until the end. In the Zamasu arc, at his most powerful they really couldn't touch Zamasu and it required Zeno. In the Tournament of Power arc, they were irrelevant, we saw gods of destruction being wiped out left and right and the Angels just stood dormant.

So it's not like it effected anything yet because they found ways to write around it to make it a non factor.

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:57 pm

What are your hopes for graphics in the Broly movie, as far as visually appealing fight scenes and over all animation.

Basically, if you could pick any other arc in Dragonball, Z, or Super, that you thought looked the overall absolute best,what is it?

Personally, Id like to see the quality of the fighting, both animation, and choreograph to be up to par with the Goku vs Majin Vegeta fight or Kid Buu vs Goku fight. Even the SSG Goku vs Kefla and Kale was very well drawn, but the fighting itself was off at times.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:11 pm

Everything we've seen of the Broly film is already better-looking than any current or previous arcs. I can't honestly say any previous saga has better animation because it was constantly spread so thin across so many episodes that I remember people more than actual looks of each arc. And in that regard, we already have Shida, Takahashi, Onishi, Tate, Shintani (no Nakatsuru?) and many other great animators working on the film. I'm pretty much satisfied.

I mean, if I could have every Dragon Ball series ever animated with the fluidity and detail that Shida puts into his work I would, but I'd say the well-animated parts of Super are even better than most of the similar bits from the original 2 anime adaptations, even if the character designs are worse and the art is inconsistent.

That said, if you want things to look like the Buu arc, you want Takahashi to be made the character designer. Toei's more than a little aware of his popularity, so I'd say you might actually have a chance with that one.

TheNamekGio
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheNamekGio » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:32 pm

I don't see the big deal about Bardock. I mean yea, they made his DB Minus outfit but its not a big deal. I'm glad they added his mother Gine at least. The way I look at it, is that now my Special Selection DVD is gonna be worth a lot more now! If you have a copy keep it! :mrgreen:
I'm a DB veteran thats paid my DB dues!!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:58 pm

If you are not a Bardock fan you obviously won't see the big deal, but this is just a common thing. If they start taking badass moments away from your favorite character, you won't like and you'll understand the big deal here for Bardock.

Imagine if they take the Father-Son Kamehameha, the beginning of Ultimate Gohan and Super Buu fight and other moments away from Gohan, his fans won't like at all. Imagine if they take various badass moments away from Vegeta and Goku, their fans won't like at all.

It's the case here with Bardock. His stand is his glorious moment and cannot be denied unless for a greater and even better purpose, which I highly doubt it would be the case. If Bardock just "dies" while in the planet without even trying to stand against Freeza, you're just stripping the character out of his most defining and badass moment. And since it's the only one Bardock has on-screen, that just makes things worse.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~