Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Bergamo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Noah wrote:
Bergamo wrote:"I take the movies as “stories in a different dimension from the main story of the comic”. I’m entirely just an audience member for them" - Akira Toriyama

"Dragon Ball Super is a complete continuation of the Majin Boo story arc." - Akira Toriyama
The first statement was refering to the manga only and not even directly stating a main continuity of any source, the second one was to just promote the new animated series, also not related to a canon.

Also please, mate... You're here has been a long time to not know how to edit your posts to avoid quoting people unnecessarily. Just keep the part I mentioned you and cut the rest, it's quite easy.
Dbzk1999 wrote:Hope you know that his original color in the manga was in fact pink
Really? Could you show me?
Luso Saiyan wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:I mean, changing the story Is one thing but can't Toriyama just not keep the same designs for his characters? It only adds to further frustration lol
When did Toriyama ever change Freeza's design and color scheme? It was the Toei that changed it. And now, for the first time ever, they are staying true to Toriyama's.
Then tell us, how's that is supposed to be true to Toriyama's:
Xeztin wrote:Toriyama has retconned the beginning of the story, and more elements or story elements this year than the past 10. If he can change the beginning he can change the ending. Just because he trains or meets Oob doesn’t mean it’ll be at a tourney or anything. Not that I think the death of Beerus would be a good thing for toy sells. He is chanhing things he didn’t have too, I doubt he’d have very little attatchment to the ending. Even if it changes, they will all be alive.
Don't be saying silly things. I don't see any reason for Toriyama to retcon the ending of his original work, he might be a guy that doesn't cares about continuity, but I don't believe he would be willing to drastic change things he drawed decades ago.
You'd rather just deny my evidence and insult my ability to use the Kanzenshuu interface?
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:06 pm

lol at the "Bardock going up to space to get one shotted with a finger without putting up any type of fight is so cool!!!111"

Please, Obviously they are going to put that in the movie cause it was in Toiyama's manga and an connecting point to Goku's child of destiny theme.
Hold your horses, you guys will see your favorite character get casually dismissed again. I will be laughing at Bardock for a second time around...
Last edited by Miracles on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Bergamo wrote:You'd rather just deny my evidence and insult my ability to use the Kanzenshuu interface?
Not denying, but you took these too literally and it was not meant to be an insult but yes a useful tip.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:10 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:II like the TV Special but it was clear from me from the get go even during the 90's that it was not Toriyama vision. So I always considered that at a possible event.
I don't know how it was clear since Toriyama himself took the time to add two panels in the manga and drew things exactly as seen in the TV Special.
2 panels, but nothing otherwise leading up to it. Just, "Oh look, Goku looks like that nobody from a while back. Whatever."

Nothing on Bardock's bandana. His squad. His family life. Fighting Dodoria. Or anything. Just two panels at a time when Toriyama was probably geeking out over it before going back over it and saying, "You know what, while I like this part, I would have done THIS part differently."

As the case happens for things like Western comic books. All the time (a close counterpart).

You want an example? In DC Comics, rather than Krypton's core being unstable from mining and what not, its now been retconned to having been destroyed by a genocidal maniac that looks like a knockoff of Doomsday.
I mean, the special was already out. What did you want him to do, adapt the whole special in manga format? That'd be a complete waste of time and totally unnecessary, it'd be like the Super manga copying the anime scene for scene. Nobody wants to draw something that was already fully produced.

The Bardock special was a side story and unrelated to the main conflict of the Namek saga, so the fact that Toriyama went out of his way to include those Bardock special panels goes to show you at the time how much he enjoyed it and intended to have the TV special as part of the manga continuity.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:18 pm

Noah wrote:
Bergamo wrote:You'd rather just deny my evidence and insult my ability to use the Kanzenshuu interface?
Not denying, but you took these too literally and it was not meant to be an insult but yes a useful tip.
How am I taking a quotation that says that DBS is a continuation too literally. Continuation means continuation. DBS is an extension of the canon story that ended with the main buu saga. There is simply no denying that.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:29 pm

Bergamo wrote:How am I taking a quotation that says that DBS is a continuation too literally. Continuation means continuation. DBS is an extension of the canon story that ended with the main buu saga. There is simply no denying that.
Because Toriyama statement was not meant to declare a official continuity and yes to make clear for fans where this story was supposed to take. This franchise has no canon, sorry.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:05 am

Noah wrote:
Bergamo wrote:How am I taking a quotation that says that DBS is a continuation too literally. Continuation means continuation. DBS is an extension of the canon story that ended with the main buu saga. There is simply no denying that.
Because Toriyama statement was not meant to declare a official continuity and yes to make clear for fans where this story was supposed to take. This franchise has no canon, sorry.
No one who works on Dragon Ball will ever use the word, "canon," but that doesn't mean it isn't apparent what is part of the main storyline established in the manga. You have to present evidence or reasoning instead of just denying what everyone knows to be true. Sorry.

jollyroger

Post by jollyroger » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:25 am

I wasn't to happy with the idea of Broly coming back but honestly this movie has me really excited about the franchise for the first time in forever. The last 2 movies weren't that great and super sucked (IMO) but this seems to have story and substance and an actual purpose and function. And yes I know a lot of it is fan service but who hasn't wanted to see more about the history of the saiyans? Seeing them all bow before Frieza and King Cold is such a cool moment and overall it just looks to have an actual good story. And the retcons don't really bother me cause I don't really take it that seriously overall I'm just looking forward to taking my daughter to see this and hope she falls in love with the series like I did and have been ever since.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:35 am

Bergamo wrote:No one who works on Dragon Ball will ever use the word, "canon," but that doesn't mean it isn't apparent what is part of the main storyline established in the manga. You have to present evidence or reasoning instead of just denying what everyone knows to be true. Sorry.
The only thing apparent is that Dragon Ball is a completed work within 42 volumes serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump magazine from 1984 to 1995. There's nothing else from it. If we should consider anything was part of the main story is the original work.

Everything else are adaptations and extensions based on this source that are not attached in anyway with the latter.

We still didn't got any proper statement from the owner rights of Dragon Ball, what should be considered as main continuity and what does not. Your evidences are not conclusive.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:45 am

Noah wrote:

In your opinion, what was Toriyamas statement meant to declare?

"This franchise has no canon." Do you not consider the original manga canon then? If no, then what is your definition of canon.

Are you saying you do not consider super to be an official continuation of of Dragon ball? If so, how come?
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:58 am

ssj3kakarot wrote:
Noah wrote:Because Toriyama statement was not meant to declare a official continuity and yes to make clear for fans where this story was supposed to take. This franchise has no canon, sorry.
In your opinion, what was Toriyama's statement meant to declare?

"This franchise has no canon." Do you not consider the original manga canon then? If no, then what is your definition of canon. Are you saying you do not consider super to be an official continuation of of Dragon ball? If so, how come?
Exactly what I said, a lot of people imagined that a second sequel Kai/Z anime would be set on the same period Episode 167/291 ended, Toriyama just made clear that it would be after the conflict of Majin Boo and no after the ending of his story.

No, I actually meant that the original manga is the only thing that should be considered as we can't disregard the main source of everything.

I personally don't consider Super as an official sequel, but I'm not saying other people should not consider was well, they are free to do that. My whole point is there's no reason to declare anything (apart from the original work) as canon until we get a proper statement about it.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:23 am

My wish came true! DBS: Broly will have premiere screenings in Melbourne, Sydney and Auckland. The movie will be the widest Madman theatrical anime release ever. Nearly 200 targeted locations will be screening the film across Australia. That is insane! Resurrection 'F' was only screened in a little over 60 theatres when it came here. :lol:

Madman are going in with this release. Watch it break records in the Aussie box office.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:44 am

Noah wrote:
This is an outright delusion so it can fit in line with your desires. The TRUTH is Toriyama himself stated the Dragonball story is his foundational manga. Super is a "complete continuation" of that said manga. However, he stated the DBZ movies are "in another dimension" from Dragonball SINCE he was only an audience member to them and that GT is a "side story" to Dragonball. Canon is definitely established in this franchise.

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:14 am

Noah wrote:This franchise has no canon, sorry.
Saying this but then you go on to say that canon is the original manga. So yes, there is canon.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:19 am

Toriyama did a retcon every saga after the 23rd budokai this shouldn't be that much of a suprise.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:24 am

How can you deny theres canon when battle of gods csme around it was clearly said to be a continuation of the original story. And I hate that in a series many people think has no canon, canon is so important.

We can't have two bardocks and two brolys with the way this universe is, so you have to pick one of those two stories to follow and pretty much disregard the story and lore of the other.

Damn you Dragon Ball, why cant you continue to build on your stories and legacy instead of changing it constantly.

And thats cool about aus getting it, but damn am i dissapointed its still a jan 24 release. To think premiere screening will be just over a month away. Getting bad flashbacks of tenkaichi 3 on wii aus release!

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:37 am

To try and bring discussion back around to the movie's premise itself, I'm curious to see just what little Broly had to endure on Planet Banpa before presumably being found by Paragus and trained from a young age to be a warrior.

I'm also starting to lean away from the whole "modified" angle now that I know the context of the incubator pod scenes, but not entirely. Training isn't the only way one molds a great warrior, as seen with Dr. Gero's work.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:53 am

nato25 wrote:And thats cool about aus getting it, but damn am i dissapointed its still a jan 24 release. To think premiere screening will be just over a month away. Getting bad flashbacks of tenkaichi 3 on wii aus release!
I am crossing my fingers that the premiere will be in December and not early January. I need to see this movie as soon as I can so that I don't have to worry about running into spoilers.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:25 pm

Miracles wrote:This is an outright delusion so it can fit in line with your desires. The TRUTH is Toriyama himself stated the Dragonball story is his foundational manga. Super is a "complete continuation" of that said manga. However, he stated the DBZ movies are "in another dimension" from Dragonball SINCE he was only an audience member to them and that GT is a "side story" to Dragonball. Canon is definitely established in this franchise.
It isn't, that is only your truth. These statements had nothing to do with canocity as I doubt Toriyama was thinking specifically about continuity when he said that. He's was just concerned with the story he wrote long ago and the next he wants to tell, misinterpret his words all you want, it would change this fact.
kudo6000 wrote:Saying this but then you go on to say that canon is the original manga. So yes, there is canon.
Because like I said we can't disregard the main source of everything? Remember if it wasn't for the original work, none of this would even exist. So even though we have no official continuity, it's much conceivable to consider the manga was the only assumed canon.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs