Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Toxin45
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Toxin45 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:20 pm

LightBing wrote:If that synopsis is true I'm very happy. Freeza being used effectively is great and what I wanted after watching the first trailer.

A recurring Freeza (for a couple of times only, he has too die eventually) has a lot of potential to create interesting storylines. I would love if he escapes to another Universe at the end of this.
Eh Frieza already has died twice killing him again for the third time would kinda be wasted and poinless

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:57 pm

Freeza’s not going to die, hell Goku will keep him around to hope he brings stronger guys to Earth. I’m betting he will wise for immortality. He and Goku have a mutual understanding of lines to be crossed. Unless Broly kills innocents I don’t think he’ll die either. Freeza should destroy the balls afterwords.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:03 am

HeroR wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Are you that guy again?

Blood is not a big deal it is extremely superficial to think it does.
To be totally fair sometimes the fights dont feel as visually engaging because of the lack of serious damage the characters recieve, with exception of people who can regenerate.

The sheer amount of injuries that look severe compared to those that dont is a bit of a gripe I can understand.

Characters would look this beat up and keep fighting looking like this: Image

but here, they end fights looking like this: Image

Which fight looks tougher by the visual communication of the damage and hardships the characters went through by what is told? Animation is as much a visual story as it is a written one, and things like this can give the impression that somehow, the fights in Z were harder by nature of the expressed injuries. Super could up its stakes in ways other than blood, like when 18 destroyed Vegeta's arm, but for some reason won't entertain the idea of these kind of body mangling injuries and that hurts the series when much earlier parts of the dragonball story had severe injuries that felt like the stakes were upped. Gohan's ruined arm in that final kamehameha clash with cell, goku's tournament fight with Piccolo junior, Vegeta as mentioned. I think really characters could do with looking like theyve sustained more battle damage or injuries to help.

I don't necessarily think blood is the way to go, but there are ways to make the fights feel more alive by adding injuries that are more several than anime hash line bruises and a black eye for vegeta in the TOP.
Honestly, the bottom since the clothes are torn off and Goku specifically has bandages and Vegeta missing a giant chuck of his armor, something not seen in Dragon Ball before, while the above just looks like Vegeta got a gash on his forehead.

A better visual example would be this:

the top one also has ripped clothes....

But you see my point right? The severity of injuries is reduced in Super

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:15 am

with the summary indicating Paragus to not be a bad dad this time, I want to see him and his son survive

and paragus to get super saiyan forms just so we can see a SS3 with a gandalf beard

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:22 am

Xeztin wrote:Freeza’s not going to die, hell Goku will keep him around to hope he brings stronger guys to Earth. I’m betting he will wise for immortality. He and Goku have a mutual understanding of lines to be crossed. Unless Broly kills innocents I don’t think he’ll die either. Freeza should destroy the balls afterwords.
Couldn't Dende you know bring them back after the Dragon balls are destroyed? He'd have to kill Dende and destroy Namek for that to happen

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:32 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:So judging by the spoilers, it seems Broly is most likely not genetically modified like some of us thought.
Yup, puts a wrinkle in that theory! A shame, I did like the idea of King Vegeta attempting to mod Broly by injecting artificial S Cells etc to make the Ultimate Warrior in combating Freeza obviously against Paragus and so one day Paragus get the opportunity to break Broly out and they both flee Planet Vegeta.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:51 am

Says Vegeta was born 41 years ago.

The Tournament of Power took place in Age 780 so say this movie was directly after makes Vegeta born in Age 739.

That's the same year Dragon Ball Minus took place but in that Goku was already 3 years ago.

So that's very inconsistent because it's make Goku older than Vegeta yet in that chapter Vegeta was shown to be older.

According to the official dates then Vegeta should have been born 48 years ago, not 41.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:10 am

Bullza wrote:Says Vegeta was born 41 years ago.

The Tournament of Power took place in Age 780 so say this movie was directly after makes Vegeta born in Age 739.

That's the same year Dragon Ball Minus took place but in that Goku was already 3 years ago.

So that's very inconsistent because it's make Goku older than Vegeta yet in that chapter Vegeta was shown to be older.

According to the official dates then Vegeta should have been born 48 years ago, not 41.
I'm guess something got lost in translation. Pretty sure Vegeta will stay older than Goku (by how much remains to be seen) and this is somewhat confirmed by the shot of him as a kid in the second trailer, since that scene is supposed to take place as planet Vegeta gets destroyed.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:57 am

So now an important question arises. Where does Broli's power come from and why does he have that green haired form? I doubt they will use "Legendary Super Saiyan" as an answer

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:42 am

Michsi wrote:I'm guess something got lost in translation. Pretty sure Vegeta will stay older than Goku (by how much remains to be seen) and this is somewhat confirmed by the shot of him as a kid in the second trailer, since that scene is supposed to take place as planet Vegeta gets destroyed.
Well Battle of Gods got Bulma and Mai's age wrong so it really wouldn't surprise me if they got Vegeta's age wrong.

The trailer says he, Goku and Brolys were born around the same time so it depends how much leway there is but he should be a good bit older. Raditz is obviously than Goku and Vegeta looked at least as old as him in the chapter.

He was clearly older than him by a few years in Minus. So who knows.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:20 am

Around the same time can mean that they are part of the same generation. When you say that a grup of people was was born aroubd 1900 it can mean their birth dates varies between 1895 and 1905.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:27 am

41 years ago... Now imagine if this movie takes place in AGE 781, it would bring two inconsistencies at once; first with Bulma's line at the end of the manga and the date established by Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman (as the flashbacks would be placed in AGE 740, but unlike Bulma's, Gine's and Tights' information, that one cannot be simply "solved" by thinking the caracters just rounded it up).

Well, let's just wait and see as no confirmation has been provided, but goddamn if it turns out to be true.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:28 am

CTAkuma wrote:So now an important question arises. Where does Broli's power come from and why does he have that green haired form? I doubt they will use "Legendary Super Saiyan" as an answer
The one thing i hope they explain. Because that is the closest topic that can possibly lead back to S-Cells and potentially Yamoshi. This movie was first advertised with the tagline “the origins of the saiyans power”.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:36 am

Bullza wrote:
Michsi wrote:I'm guess something got lost in translation. Pretty sure Vegeta will stay older than Goku (by how much remains to be seen) and this is somewhat confirmed by the shot of him as a kid in the second trailer since that scene is supposed to take place as planet Vegeta gets destroyed.
Well, Battle of Gods got Bulma and Mai's age wrong so it really wouldn't surprise me if they got Vegeta's age wrong.

The trailer says he, Goku and Broly were born around the same time so it depends how much leeway there is but he should be a good bit older. Raditz is obviously than Goku and Vegeta looked at least as old as him in the chapter.

He was clearly older than him by a few years in Minus. So who knows.
I think its because us fans care more about the ages of these people than they do. You think there is someone who works there and is like ¨Hey don´t forget these characters ages guys.¨ I think its pretty clear that there's not. There Should be thought. I´d work that Job any day :lol: :lol:

Glen300

Post by Glen300 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:30 am

PFM18 wrote:
It is still standard practice for Saiyans to send their off-spring to another planet to massacre the planet and prime it for selling.

Q: Do all Saiyans become combatants?

Toriyama: A baby’s battle power is measured as soon as they are born. If their numbers pass a certain standard, then they are considered upper-level warriors and immediately raised as combatant candidates. On the other hand, those whose numbers remain low even after a certain amount of time has passed are regarded as lower-level warriors, and become either engineers or are sent off to a planet somewhere as “infiltration babies”1. If they grow strong enough to conquer that planet, then they can return to their home world as a combatant. However, infiltration babies do not have a high survival rate. Raditz was an upper-level warrior and assigned to the same group as Nappa as a proper combatant. Before long Vegeta was added to that group, too.
- This is from Kanzenshuu translations from an interview published in December 2017

Only low level Saiyans are sent to another planet. That's why Paragus holds a grudge. Broly was treated as an infiltration baby, despite passing the standard to be considered a upper level warrior.
Last edited by Glen300 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:38 am

I wonder, instead of immortality maybe Frieza wants something that could help him achieve his goal of ruling over all universes. Some item or information he cannot gain through normal means.

Immortality is a good other option though as it would grant him an infinite amount of time to work towards his goal.

I also wonder if he will get his wish this time. Have the Saiyans beat each other senseless and while their tired grab the win.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:27 am

Glen300 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
It is still standard practice for Saiyans to send their off-spring to another planet to massacre the planet and prime it for selling.

Q: Do all Saiyans become combatants?

Toriyama: A baby’s battle power is measured as soon as they are born. If their numbers pass a certain standard, then they are considered upper-level warriors and immediately raised as combatant candidates. On the other hand, those whose numbers remain low even after a certain amount of time has passed are regarded as lower-level warriors, and become either engineers or are sent off to a planet somewhere as “infiltration babies”1. If they grow strong enough to conquer that planet, then they can return to their home world as a combatant. However, infiltration babies do not have a high survival rate. Raditz was an upper-level warrior and assigned to the same group as Nappa as a proper combatant. Before long Vegeta was added to that group, too.
- This is from Kanzenshuu translations from an interview published in December 2017

Only low level Saiyans are sent to another planet. That's why Paragus holds a grudge. Broly was treated as an infiltration baby, despite passing the standard to be considered a upper level warrior.
Oh ok so that's why Kakarot was sent to another planet. That makes sense. My bad.

Broly is treated as though he is a low-class Saiyan when really he is the opposite. Alright that makes me that much more excited about the plot of this movie. Although I'm still pissed about them fucking up Vegeta's age and ruining Bardock.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:28 pm

If Toriyama liked the 90s Bardock special so much, why did he feel the need to screw it up with DB Minus? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

LimitbreakerKrillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LimitbreakerKrillin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:44 pm

Well if Bardocks last stand against Frieza isnt in the movie, then consider that it might still be in Toriyama's 3 hour long movie script, but got cut off when they condensed the story down to a 100 minute film.

I dont think Toriyama wants erase that part of Bardocks history, especially when its actually part of the original manga.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:12 pm

LimitbreakerKrillin wrote:Well if Bardocks last stand against Frieza isnt in the movie, then consider that it might still be in Toriyama's 3 hour long movie script, but got cut off when they condensed the story down to a 100 minute film.

I dont think Toriyama wants erase that part of Bardocks history, especially when its actually part of the original manga.
It's not part of the original manga. It's part of the newer editions of the manga.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations