Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by majinwarman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:43 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
PFM18 wrote: Piccolo is getting all this emphasis, it is making me wonder if hell actually do something!
He also some some attack pose merch promo art too. Then again he was used quite a bit in the ToP marketing...
HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Exactly. This seems like genuine praise and not a PR move.
That and they are people who did enjoy Resurrection 'F's script. You have to remember Battle of Gods was blasted for being too slow pace and too much focused on gags, so a movie that was all action was welcomed. I think too many people spent too much time in the echo chamber and believe that Resurrection 'F' is universally hated or looked down on.
It made more money than BoG and has the higher rating on imdb, not the worlds best evidence of quality sure but alone proves it is far from universally hated.
I'm not saying it is going to be the best but I want to hear good news about the film when so many people I know are already giving up on the film.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:44 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
PFM18 wrote: Piccolo is getting all this emphasis, it is making me wonder if hell actually do something!
He also some some attack pose merch promo art too. Then again he was used quite a bit in the ToP marketing...
HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Exactly. This seems like genuine praise and not a PR move.
That and they are people who did enjoy Resurrection 'F's script. You have to remember Battle of Gods was blasted for being too slow pace and too much focused on gags, so a movie that was all action was welcomed. I think too many people spent too much time in the echo chamber and believe that Resurrection 'F' is universally hated or looked down on.
It made more money than BoG and has the higher rating on imdb, not the worlds best evidence of quality sure but alone proves it is far from universally hated.
That is my point, but you would never guess that coming here where people treat Resurrection 'F' as only a step up from Bio-Broly (slight exaggeration) and treat Battle of Gods as the best thing ever where the common audience thought the movie was slow and the fight with Super Saiyan God Goku and Beerus was too short for all the build up. It's easy to forget now, but Resurrection 'F' was made in response to criticisms of Battle of Gods.
majinwarman wrote: I'm not saying it is going to be the best but I want to hear good news about the film when so many people I know are already giving up on the film.
Which is just a vocal minority given how Broly destroyed Resurrection 'F's pre-sell records and get buzzed all the time on Twitter. There is plenty of good news about the movie, but you need to get out of the echo chamber.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:He also some some attack pose merch promo art too. Then again he was used quite a bit in the ToP marketing...
Even if it doesn't amount to much I'm really happy to see Piccolo back in the spotlight for a while. :D

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:52 pm

Does anyone think its kinda sad that Gohan is left out in a film about Saiyans yet Piccolo is in?

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:56 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HeroR wrote:
I'm not saying it is going to be the best but I want to hear good news about the film when so many people I know are already giving up on the film.

Those people probably gave up on the movie simply because of dislike of the old Broly or because their favorite character won't be in the movie. They were never going to give it a chance in the first place. Also its basically guaranteed this movie will shatter RoF's box office earnings and will be the most visually pleasing db film ever

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:58 pm

zarmack wrote:Does anyone think its kinda sad that Gohan is left out in a film about Saiyans yet Piccolo is in?
Just because Gohan is a Saiyan doesn't mean he's going to be shoved into the plot(nor should he be) without any reason further than half of his heritage being Saiyan. We have yet to see how Piccolo will be used so it could conceivably be a compelling role that Gohan wouldn't necessarily be able to fill. Or he just does nothing at all, we'll just have to wait and see.
RecolorSaiyan wrote: Those people probably gave up on the movie simply because of dislike of the old Broly or because their favorite character won't be in the movie. They were never going to give it a chance in the first place. Also its basically guaranteed this movie will shatter RoF's box office earnings and will be the most visually pleasing db film ever
I think most of the people gave up on the movie are just those pessimist types that hate Super so they won't like a Super movie. I don't think it has much to do with their favorite character's involvement.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:01 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:
Those people probably gave up on the movie simply because of dislike of the old Broly or because their favorite character won't be in the movie. They were never going to give it a chance in the first place. Also its basically guaranteed this movie will shatter RoF's box office earnings and will be the most visually pleasing db film ever
It's mostly Broly. The most vocal people who 'gave up' on Dragon Ball despises the idea of Broly coming back that they won't even bother to give the idea a chance, along with not being big fans of Super in general. It's also a big case of realizing what they want for the franchise isn't what the majority wants so you get a nice heaping of 'stop liking what I don't like'.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:05 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote: Even if it doesn't amount to much I'm really happy to see Piccolo back in the spotlight for a while. :D
Who doesn't want uncle/personal shopper/cabbage picker/yard hole filler/personal trainer Piccolo to be in the spotlight!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:08 pm

HeroR wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:
It's mostly Broly. The most vocal people who 'gave up' on Dragon Ball despises the idea of Broly coming back that they won't even bother to give the idea a chance, along with not being big fans of Super in general.
I was infuriated when I heard about the title of the movie. The original Broly is one of the worst characters in the franchise if not the worst character in the franchise. But this isn't just Broly, this is Toriyama's Broly. And Toriyama has only let me down with Minus, so I trust that he'll make Broly into at least a decent character.
It's also a big case of realizing what they want for the franchise isn't what the majority wants so you get a nice heaping of 'stop liking what I don't like'.
This is important to note.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:15 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: He also some some attack pose merch promo art too. Then again he was used quite a bit in the ToP marketing...

Look I can understand that you may not like Broly or Minus but everyone should at least give the film a chance for it to come out and reviews up to read.
Majinwarman

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:16 pm

majinwarman wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I'm not saying it is going to be the best but I want to hear good news about the film when so many people I know are already giving up on the film.

Look I can understand that you may not like Broly or Minus but everyone should at least give the film a chance for it to come out and reviews up to read.
I've seen people deactivate their twitter accounts over anger of the minus stuff in trailer 2 :lol: Its pretty sad

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:17 pm

HeroR wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:
It's mostly Broly. The most vocal people who 'gave up' on Dragon Ball despises the idea of Broly coming back that they won't even bother to give the idea a chance, along with not being big fans of Super in general. It's also a big case of realizing what they want for the franchise isn't what the majority wants so you get a nice heaping of 'stop liking what I don't like'.
That's basically the gist of it for this films' nay-sayers.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:30 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:

I've seen people deactivate their twitter accounts over anger of the minus stuff in trailer 2 :lol: Its pretty sad
That is really pathetic to do at all. One movie shouldn't be something you quit social media for.
zarmack wrote:
HeroR wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:
That's basically the gist of it for this films' nay-sayers.
I guess but I still think that this movie won't be as bad as people are making it out to be.
Majinwarman

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:00 pm

majinwarman wrote:
zarmack wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:

It would be awesome if he'd get some kind of descent powerboost to make him relevant again.
I think they should bring him at least back to 17s level.
You mean SSB level? He'll need some God-form in order for that to happened.
I don't think that it will happen at all.

Maybe not yet within this movie. I just think that's the level where he belongs, if they want to make him a relevant fighter again who transcends fodder that's impressed how strong the others are.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: Even if it doesn't amount to much I'm really happy to see Piccolo back in the spotlight for a while. :D
Who doesn't want uncle/personal shopper/cabbage picker/yard hole filler/personal trainer Piccolo to be in the spotlight!

People are genuienly intrigued and happy about this (while also really apprehensive) so based on that alone, he deserves some of the spotlight. Maybe it'll help him shed some of those titles.

One thing we know the character is used a lot for is exposition. Roshi used to do this in the past, now it's Piccolo. He might be there to better explain what the audience wouldn't be able to tell from the fight alone.

Furiza

Post by Furiza » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:09 pm

Maybe Piccolo will fight Freeza or have the role of Paikuhan bringing time until Gogeta

PS
Don't kill Freeza

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:10 pm

Noah wrote:Wait... 10' foot while in his Legendary Super Saiyan state, right?
Yes that's in his LSS/Full power mode, kinda glad they kept him tall like he was originally or now even taller, it gives him more of a menacing presence

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:21 pm

PFM18 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:
It's mostly Broly. The most vocal people who 'gave up' on Dragon Ball despises the idea of Broly coming back that they won't even bother to give the idea a chance, along with not being big fans of Super in general.
I was infuriated when I heard about the title of the movie. The original Broly is one of the worst characters in the franchise if not the worst character in the franchise. But this isn't just Broly, this is Toriyama's Broly. And Toriyama has only let me down with Minus, so I trust that he'll make Broly into at least a decent character.
It's also a big case of realizing what they want for the franchise isn't what the majority wants so you get a nice heaping of 'stop liking what I don't like'.
Broly isn't that bad, honestly, outside of the stupid crying baby thing. I can honestly named much worst than Broly and I only find him annoying because of his fandom.
Kanassa wrote:

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:30 pm

HeroR wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Broly isn't that bad, honestly, outside of the stupid crying baby thing. I can honestly named much worst than Broly and I only find him annoying because of his fandom.
Most of the Broly hate in the Western fandom boils down to snobbery and pseudo-intellectualism. The type of fans who worship Team4Star, put Pre-Raditz DB on a sacred pedestal and are in deep denial of the fact that DB is largely a chady fight series lol. They're also the type of fans who spread the lie about Broly not being popular in Japan (when in reality he's arguably the 2nd most popular DB villain over there after Freeza).

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:29 pm

Furiza wrote:Maybe Piccolo will fight Freeza or have the role of Paikuhan bringing time until Gogeta

PS
Don't kill Freeza
Pikkon makes sense.

Fighting Frieza I like though.
Michsi wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

People are genuienly intrigued and happy about this (while also really apprehensive) so based on that alone, he deserves some of the spotlight. Maybe it'll help him shed some of those titles.

One thing we know the character is used a lot for is exposition. Roshi used to do this in the past, now it's Piccolo. He might be there to better explain what the audience wouldn't be able to tell from the fight alone.
He won't be there just for that as they might as well bring everyone along.