Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:28 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: The whole marketing for the film has been bizarre in regards to showing forms in footage. This is our first glimpse of actual footage in motion for SSG Vegeta & FP Broly yet for months they've been marketed all over the place. And now Gogeta will get a boring static reveal instead of showing him in motion even for a glimpse like that FP Broly at the end. I can maybe understand them waiting to officially reveal him after the film has come out like SSGSS Vegeta back in 2015 but we know for a fact unlike that he's definitely being revealed this month just screams of Shueisha wanting to reveal him in V Jump to sell copies.
Since he's going to be in the final DLC for Xenoverse I won't be surprised if they reveal his character art alongside his game model and preview like Ultra Instinct Goku.

BrolySSJL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrolySSJL » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:33 pm

zarmack wrote:
Mercenary wrote:
PFM18 wrote:That CGI shot of Goku/Vegeta side by side is getting me worried. I thought it looked pretty bad. Also, maybe it is yellow in the colored manga, but the Galick Gun not being purple doesnt sit right with me.

I'm still frightened that SSBE won't make an appearance and that would really disappoint me.

And I really don't want Whis to get involved in the fighting.
SSBE obviously won't make an appearance. It's just a Toei thing. Isn't that obvious at this point?
The DBS Broly movie itself is a Toei thing, and SSBE is in the manga.
Nope and nope.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:41 pm

I love the Dragon Ball fandom. We'll all look at the same thing and have such polarizing reactions to it. lol

Group A: I just failed no nut November! Best thing I've ever seen in my whole life!

Group B: Man, that was godawful! They got the colors wrong again! Retcons all over the place! Hate, hate, hate!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:45 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: The whole marketing for the film has been bizarre in regards to showing forms in footage. This is our first glimpse of actual footage in motion for SSG Vegeta & FP Broly yet for months they've been marketed all over the place. And now Gogeta will get a boring static reveal instead of showing him in motion even for a glimpse like that FP Broly at the end. I can maybe understand them waiting to officially reveal him after the film has come out like SSGSS Vegeta back in 2015 but we know for a fact unlike that he's definitely being revealed this month just screams of Shueisha wanting to reveal him in V Jump to sell copies.
Since he's going to be in the final DLC for Xenoverse I won't be surprised if they reveal his character art alongside his game model and preview like Ultra Instinct Goku.
V Jump also reveals figures too so no doubt that's where some of the figure reveal will come from too. Basically everything about this is like UI back in Feb. Banpresto releasing a WCF in December check, Bandai releasing gashapons in December check, Ichiban Kuji starting early December check. XV2 DLC check, SDBH stuff check. And obviously movie reveal! Gogeta reveal is gonna be stacked that's for sure.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:55 pm

I know there's a snowball's chance in Hell of this happening, but what if this whole Gogeta leak thing was a red herring this whole time? That would be hilarious.

TOEI: "Oh, you guys like looking at placeholder character data in XV2, huh? Think you can find a spoiler for the movie, do you? Cheeky bastards. Well then, we'll just leave this here, and make you think we've accidentally leaked Gogeta Blue to the public, when really it's just Bardock from Dragon Ball Minus. Then when the movie comes out, Goku just turns Ultra Instinct Super Saiyan Blue instead and beats Broly that way. That'll teach you!"

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:03 pm

Broly is really strong: The Movie
But seriously can't wait to see this. Don't even hate the song but I need to see more

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:26 pm

BrolySSJL wrote:
zarmack wrote:
Mercenary wrote:
SSBE obviously won't make an appearance. It's just a Toei thing. Isn't that obvious at this point?
The DBS Broly movie itself is a Toei thing, and SSBE is in the manga.
Nope and nope.
Yes and yes. Broly is a Toei invention. Toei wanted to bring Broly back and asked Toriyama-san about incorporating him in Super, giving them a perfect opportunity to market him in a movie as well. That Toriyama-san took someone else's idea and rewrote it does not make him a) the original creator of Broly and b) does not make him the one whose idea the movie itself was. It is a colaboration thing but he is definitely not the one who said "let's bring in Broly and make a movie!" and he even said that Toei approached him for that. And yes, Blue Evolution is "pseudo-existant" in the manga through that powerup of Vegeta that looks nothing like Evolution.
Last edited by Cetra on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:27 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
zarmack wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:
The inconsistencies are too many in there, the manga version makes way more sense, plus less asspulls.
You mean asspulls and inconsistencies like Goku pulling MSSB out of nowhere after defusing, Goku pulling Hakai out of nowhere (even though he's never seen the technique in the manga and was supposed to be exclusive to Hakaishin), Future Trunks' random healing powers that suddenly appear and disappear, Gohan out-of-nowhere being equal to SSJ Kefla (despite it being suggested that he wasn't even SSG level when first appearing in the ToP) everything involving Kale in the manga's ToP, Goku forgetting martial arts teachings from Roshi that he already mastered in early DB, etc.
You forgot to mention Kale one-shotting Anilaza as if he was freakin' Kuririn. I nearly threw up at that part.
I did mention that. That's why I said "everything involving Kale in the manga's ToP".

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:41 pm

vashter wrote:so some guy on youtube in geekdom101 channel mention that he believe Whiss gonna stall broly on purpose just let goku / vegeta to fuse which look like it possible.
Didn't geekdom say Gogeta will be revealed in this trailer?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:43 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:That CGI shot of Goku/Vegeta side by side is getting me worried. I thought it looked pretty bad. Also, maybe it is yellow in the colored manga, but the Galick Gun not being purple doesnt sit right with me.

I'm still frightened that SSBE won't make an appearance and that would really disappoint me.

I doubt you'll see Blue Evo or KK Blue, I mean, they'd have shown designs for those if they were in the movie, they're not spoilers.
Doctor. wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
What? How could you possibly watch this and conclude that movies 8,9,10 and 12 had better animation?
Dragon Ball Legends recently did something to reaffirm the original stance. Shallot fights Turles who's spent the vast majority of his appearances being a conniving manipulator/Star Scream type but not a fighter. Shallot calls him out on this, reminding him that battle is the true path of the Saiyan's and Turles gets a begruding respect for Shallot when he lets him feel like a Saiyan again from their battle.
And once again, other writers prove that they understand Dragon Ball better than current Toriyama.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:53 pm

Miracles wrote:
vashter wrote:so some guy on youtube in geekdom101 channel mention that he believe Whiss gonna stall broly on purpose just let goku / vegeta to fuse which look like it possible.
Didn't geekdom say Gogeta will be revealed in this trailer?

No he just said he was in the movie. He did not mention that Gogeta will be in the trailer.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:56 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:I love the Dragon Ball fandom. We'll all look at the same thing and have such polarizing reactions to it. lol

Group A: I just failed no nut November! Best thing I've ever seen in my whole life!

Group B: Man, that was godawful! They got the colors wrong again! Retcons all over the place! Hate, hate, hate!
I'm usually in "Group A" but in regards to this trailer I'm definitely in "Group B." Most of this stuff is largely redundant considering the information we already had. Obviously it's going to look great but this trailer doesnt make me much more optimistic about the story. They did drop tiny hints about Broly's character but I don't know how I feel about Broly "not being a bad guy."

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:

I doubt you'll see Blue Evo or KK Blue, I mean, they'd have shown designs for those if they were in the movie, they're not spoilers.
Doctor. wrote:
Dragon Ball Legends recently did something to reaffirm the original stance. Shallot fights Turles who's spent the vast majority of his appearances being a conniving manipulator/Star Scream type but not a fighter. Shallot calls him out on this, reminding him that battle is the true path of the Saiyan's and Turles gets a begruding respect for Shallot when he lets him feel like a Saiyan again from their battle.
And once again, other writers prove that they understand Dragon Ball better than current Toriyama.
Pretty much every long time fan out there understands Dragon Ball better than current Toriyama.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:02 pm

zarmack wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: I doubt you'll see Blue Evo or KK Blue, I mean, they'd have shown designs for those if they were in the movie, they're not spoilers.

Pretty much every long time fan out there understands Dragon Ball better than current Toriyama.
The sad thing is, you're not wrong.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:45 pm

PFM18 wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:I love the Dragon Ball fandom. We'll all look at the same thing and have such polarizing reactions to it. lol

I'm usually in "Group A" but in regards to this trailer I'm definitely in "Group B." Most of this stuff is largely redundant considering the information we already had. Obviously it's going to look great but this trailer doesnt make me much more optimistic about the story. They did drop tiny hints about Broly's character but I don't know how I feel about Broly "not being a bad guy."

Why spend all this to support a story that's 'hollow''?
Toriyama has hinted there will be a larger framework.

Goku's, Vegeta's, Broly's and Freeza's background should not only be tied by the past and the battle of the present, but through a somehow organized plot that binds everything together at the end. "Destiny" should be more than a chain of events or "different pathways", there should be a reason for all this to happen in the first place.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Doctor. wrote:Not to mention that Broly being a good boi who dindu nuffin and doesn't really like murdering goes against Saiyan nature. Saiyans love to fight, which this movie keeps reminding us, but Broly is actually a good person? Wait, what? Saiyans like to fight, and fighting gives a feeling of superiority over your opponent. That's why they're evil bastards who murder. Goku is the exception, not the rule. This recent Toriyama trend of whitewashing Saiyans doesn't sit well with me.

Then again, conjecture. I'll wait for the film.
Not that I'm defending this whole lore retcon mess, but didn't Toriyama said there were good Saiyans among the Universe 7? Like the ones who were the key to form the first Super Saiyan God?
Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Dragon Ball Legends recently did something to reaffirm the original stance. Shallot fights Turles who's spent the vast majority of his appearances being a conniving manipulator/Star Scream type but not a fighter. Shallot calls him out on this, reminding him that battle is the true path of the Saiyan's and Turles gets a begruding respect for Shallot when he lets him feel like a Saiyan again from their battle.
Such a sad and undeniable truth.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:03 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Not to mention that Broly being a good boi who dindu nuffin and doesn't really like murdering goes against Saiyan nature. Saiyans love to fight, which this movie keeps reminding us, but Broly is actually a good person? Wait, what? Saiyans like to fight, and fighting gives a feeling of superiority over your opponent. That's why they're evil bastards who murder. Goku is the exception, not the rule. This recent Toriyama trend of whitewashing Saiyans doesn't sit well with me.

The idea of there being a minority of naturally good saiyans in U7 was around since Yo Son Goku and Friends Return in 2008, and especially since Battle of Gods in 2013 with Yamoshi and his followers. It didn't start with Super nor even DB Minus.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:40 pm

zarmack wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Not to mention that Broly being a good boi who dindu nuffin and doesn't really like murdering goes against Saiyan nature. Saiyans love to fight, which this movie keeps reminding us, but Broly is actually a good person? Wait, what? Saiyans like to fight, and fighting gives a feeling of superiority over your opponent. That's why they're evil bastards who murder. Goku is the exception, not the rule. This recent Toriyama trend of whitewashing Saiyans doesn't sit well with me.

The idea of there being a minority of naturally good saiyans in U7 was around since Yo Son Goku and Friends Return in 2008, and especially since Battle of Gods in 2013 with Yamoshi and his followers. It didn't start with Super nor even DB Minus.
I didn't say it did. I said it's a recent modern Toriyama trend and it needs to die.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:44 pm

I can't get over Bardock being ruined. They should have just left out the whole Saiyan backstory besides show Broly/Paragus.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Noah wrote:Not that I'm defending this whole lore retcon mess, but didn't Toriyama said there were good Saiyans among the Universe 7? Like the ones who were the key to form the first Super Saiyan God?
Well, with original SSG in particular, it was made clear that they were the minority, since the SSG ritual was made to deal with the evil ones to begin with, dunno about anime retellings though, but the majority of saiyans being evil was still there.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.