Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Noah » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:28 am

vashter wrote:You guys bitching about plot of the movie, fucking enjoy the movie be happy there dragon ball still around lol, haven't seen this whining since the last movie Ressurection of F
Of course, because back then we had good content before RoF, the problem it was with everything else that came afterwards. So, no we don't have to be happy for DB to be still running if they are going only to the fanservice territory.
Lord Beerus wrote:I'm so happy that Broly lives by the end of the film. I hope they get more mileage out of him in future storylines.
Wasn't you the guy who hated the concept of Kale and despises the whole 'Broly' thing among this franchise? You don't really seem like yourself today, mate :)
RecolorSaiyan wrote:
Oh, that's a shame... I would love too see Veku again :D
Last edited by Noah on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:29 am

BrolySSJL wrote:
Amir wrote:Sounds like another ROF. Toriyama should just leave DB to someone else, he is disgraceful now.
Agree.

He is not the same as before anymore.
Are you mad because Broly got his ass kicked?

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:29 am

So far the only thing keeping me hyped for this movie is the animation, it seems the plot will be just some "canon versions" of stuff we already saw

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:31 am

Xeogran wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
Xeogran wrote:
Not true, manga literally said Daishinkan is the strongest fighter. The top 5 is just some Toei fluff again.
And that is just some Toyotaro fluff again.
Since we only know of 12 universes, and Daishinkan is above all of their angels, I'm willing to believe Toyotaro more, than Toei mentioning some non-existent characters.
One of the top 5 doesn't mean the 5th.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:33 am

RedHeat wrote:
Amir wrote:Sounds like another ROF. Toriyama should just leave DB to someone else, he is disgraceful now.
I don't get how it even remotely sounds like ROF.
Honestly agreed.

Between the backstory of the antagonist seeming to have more meat, him actually surviving, the battle being so grand that it has to be sent to another dimension to contain it, and some other details, I’m not seeing where it sounds like another RoF

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:36 am

People complaining about Toriyama :roll: yikes can the man tell the story he wants for his own creation ? I wonder :shifty:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:42 am

Noah wrote:
vashter wrote:You guys bitching about plot of the movie, fucking enjoy the movie be happy there dragon ball still around lol, haven't seen this whining since the last movie Ressurection of F
Of course, because back then we had good content before RoF, the problem it was which everything else who came afterwards. So, no we don't have to be happy for DB to be still ruinning if they are going to only the fanservice territory.
Lord Beerus wrote:I'm so happy that Broly lives by the end of the film. I hope they get more mileage out of him in future storylines.
Wasn't you the guy who hated the concept of Kale and despises the whole 'Broly' thing among this franchise? You don't really seem like yourself today, mate :)
RecolorSaiyan wrote:
Oh, that's a shame... I would love too see Veku again :D

Oh lol. Veku is in, by defusion gag , i meant gogeta defusing before he could overwhelm broly in the fight

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:44 am

The grand priest can still be the strongest in the multiverse in the anime as well.

Top 5 isn't usually how you'd describe it but Number 1 technically is top 5.

Anyways, thats a LONG ways off so no point parsing through where he is exactly ranked

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:58 am

BrolySSJL wrote:
Agree.

Hilarious coming from "BrolySSJL" username and gif of on profile getting butthurt over something tiny things :problem:

BrolySSJL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrolySSJL » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:08 am

Mercenary wrote:
BrolySSJL wrote:
Agree.

Are you mad because Broly got his ass kicked?
vashter wrote:
BrolySSJL wrote:
Agree.

Hilarious coming from "BrolySSJL" username and gif of on profile getting butthurt over something tiny things :problem:
Are you 5 years old or what?

I'm fine with the new Broly (for now), but things like Minus and other stuff of Super are very, VERY bad. And that's Toriyama's fault.
Last edited by BrolySSJL on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:10 am

RedHeat wrote:
Yeah I don't have the slightest clue how it sounds like RoF. Whis is in the movie? I don't know what the hell people expect

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:19 am

PFM18 wrote:
RedHeat wrote:
Yeah I don't have the slightest clue how it sounds like RoF. Whis is in the movie? I don't know what the hell people expect
No. They’re talking about how it just seems to be another situation where they take arguably the most popular old villain (Freeza or in this case, Broly) and put him into a movie where most of it is just fighting. Imo, it seems more like a fusion of the first Broly movie, DBMinus, and Fusion Reborn. Either way, i can see why people don’t really see this whole thing as “original”.

Would have been so much better if this movie was about ancient saiyans tbh. Doesn’t mean i wont enjoy it.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:28 am

Well, despite having several things that I would like to see in this movie that probably will not happen, I really want to know about Vegeta's participation in this movie.

It would be best not to create any kind of expectation for things related to Vegeta in the film, mainly due to the trailers, his participation in other films and in the anime (although still better than most other Z fighters), but one of the producers said that this movie was a change of pace for him because before he was just beaten and used for jokes (suggesting that his role would be different now), and Bulma's new voice actor said he had a cool scene that fans should expect.

Yes, it's very subjective, but I'm really curious about what it's going to do differently this time around. No new transformations, but maybe a decent fight with Broly? I don't know

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:47 am

I don't like Whis buying time for the fusion, because what can go wrong? Broly can't hit him, so it's up to his discretion to decide how long he wants to buy time for Goku and Vegeta. They have all the time in the world to perfect the fusion if he sees fit and why wouldn't he after choosing to step in in the first place. So, he's gonna make a joke out of Broly, then Gogeta appears. I don't like Whis and Beerus in the movie at all. There presence never seems to help artistically.

I'm very worried about the Broly vs Gogeta fight.Worried that it will be an absolute stomp in Gogeta's favor. I would prefer to see a competitive battle. If Gogeta goes Fusion Reborn on Broly that would ruin the movie for me.

What are the fans hopes for the Broly vs Gogeta fight vs How you predict it will go down?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Doctor. wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Because Whis briefly dodges Broly at some ambiguous point in the movie we have the same issues as RoF? Jesus dude, you could at least try to give this movie a chance.
Because Whis, who is friendly toward Goku and Vegeta and has no problem helping them, can easily toy with Broly as visibly proven by the movie, and can rewind time in case the two fuck up, is even present at the battlefield means it has the exact same problems of lacking tension and stakes as RoF. The excuse that "Gods don't help" is just convenient hypocrisy considering the amount of times they've helped already and how close their relationship should be by this point.

I don't believe in "giving a chance" when nothing I've seen sounds exciting.
He's there. He wont dispose of Broly, he wont so much as touch Broly, and he sure as hell isnt going to rewind time again. If he is so willing to help why didnt he go to the future with them? why not rewind time when Infinte Zamasu happened? Broly could blow up the planet and Whis wouldn't give a shit. He already messed with stuff once when he wasn't supposed to it obviously isnt going to happen again. You dont even know at what point he is going to be dodging Broly, as far as I can tell we just know he'll be avoiding him for distraction purposes but we dont know what that purpose is or how far Broly is in his progression when it happens. (We know he grows immensely in power during the fight)

Hell, if you write down the plot of almost any DB story on a piece of paper it always looks like shit. We can only wait and see how this is done to make judgements. But hey, we haven't been objective about modern DB up to this point, so why start now?

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:06 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Because Whis briefly dodges Broly at some ambiguous point in the movie we have the same issues as RoF? Jesus dude, you could at least try to give this movie a chance.
Because Whis, who is friendly toward Goku and Vegeta and has no problem helping them, can easily toy with Broly as visibly proven by the movie, and can rewind time in case the two fuck up, is even present at the battlefield means it has the exact same problems of lacking tension and stakes as RoF. The excuse that "Gods don't help" is just convenient hypocrisy considering the amount of times they've helped already and how close their relationship should be by this point.

I don't believe in "giving a chance" when nothing I've seen sounds exciting.
He's there. He wont dispose of Broly, he wont so much as touch Broly, and he sure as hell isnt going to rewind time again. If he is so willing to help why didnt he go to the future with them? why not rewind time when Infinte Zamasu happened? Broly could blow up the planet and Whis wouldn't give a shit. He already messed with stuff once when he wasn't supposed to it obviously isnt going to happen again. You dont even know at what point he is going to be dodging Broly, as far as I can tell we just know he'll be avoiding him for distraction purposes but we dont know what that purpose is or how far Broly is in his progression when it happens. (We know he grows immensely in power during the fight)

Hell, if you write down the plot of almost any DB story on a piece of paper it always looks like shit. We can only wait and see how this is done to make judgements. But hey, we haven't been objective about modern DB up to this point, so why start now?
Umm Whis does give a shit about the planet, its the reason why he even is around the Z-Fighters nowadays.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:07 pm

TysonWine wrote:I don't like Whis buying time for the fusion, because what can go wrong? Broly can't hit him, so it's up to his discretion to decide how long he wants to buy time for Goku and Vegeta. They have all the time in the world to perfect the fusion if he sees fit and why wouldn't he after choosing to step in in the first place. So, he's gonna make a joke out of Broly, then Gogeta appears. I don't like Whis and Beerus in the movie at all. There presence never seems to help artistically.

I'm very worried about the Broly vs Gogeta fight.Worried that it will be an absolute stomp in Gogeta's favor. I would prefer to see a competitive battle. If Gogeta goes Fusion Reborn on Broly that would ruin the movie for me.

What are the fans hopes for the Broly vs Gogeta fight vs How you predict it will go down?
Well, the fact that Broly is able to face an SSB without even being transformed into SSJ (he's using a Rage mode or something like that) is already absurd enough. I do not wish SSJ Full Power would simply be able to fight Gogeta SSB (even though I think it will probably happen).

In fact, Broly's power level is completely absurd. It starts at the Goku / Vegeta base level and goes up to the Gogeta SSB level. I definitely do not like this, but this is the character, extremely buffed and with little personality, he just beats everyone for no reason.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:09 pm

TysonWine wrote:I don't like Whis buying time for the fusion, because what can go wrong? Broly can't hit him, so it's up to his discretion to decide how long he wants to buy time for Goku and Vegeta. They have all the time in the world to perfect the fusion if he sees fit and why wouldn't he after choosing to step in in the first place. So, he's gonna make a joke out of Broly, then Gogeta appears. I don't like Whis and Beerus in the movie at all. There presence never seems to help artistically.

I don’t want Gogeta to necessarily stomp Broly but I also hoping Broly doesn’t stomp Gogeta (as I saw suggested earlier). We already know Broly is going to stomp Goku & Vegeta in God and Blue so there needs to be some limit to me.

On one hand I agree with ppl that Fusion seems lazy. I like the fan service of it but I’d almost rather see Vegeta & Goku beat a main foe together without Fusion. Still as a Vegeta fan I am glad he is involved in some way (not going to lie). At this point though when the antagonist is so strong I feel you are left with limited options. It makes sense for Vegeta & Goku to fuse. In fact them not fusing would be stupid if Broly is that dangerous & strong.

The only other way you can end these type of stories is Goku getting another power up or I guess being to tap into UI at will. Of course Goku will eventually be able to do this. But you really don’t want to rush these things. We were just introduced to UI last arc. So I am glad from the sound of it we won’t see it again in this movie.

As for Whis buying a time well it makes sense he could do it and I guess that is as far as he will get involved but I think This would have been a good opportunity to bring in some of the less strong fighters into the story. They obviously couldn’t beat Broly but maybe they could stall or distract him. I guess they couldn’t do much but it might create more drama than Whis doing it when we know Broly can’t touch him but he can’t stop Broly for you know reasons.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Whis' presence or absence made no difference to the tension in Resurrection F. I've talked about this before but that almost entirely down to Frieza and his limitations as a villain. Worst Frieza can do is blow up the Earth which Kid Buu already did. That's not gonna stick because the heroes live there and without the heroes there's no show. All the main characters have plot armor.

Something Resurrection F lacked was sympathetic characters outside the main cast who are at risk of death. Nobody cares if Frieza or Tagoma or Sorbet dies. Jaco's a comedy character so he's fine. Someone like Trunks and Mai, or the other sympathetic characters in the US arc. I think that's what they're going to do with Cheelai, Lemo and Broly. They'll be the sympathetic characters you want to live and the tension will be figuring out how to do that.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Having Whis be around to distract Broly just kills most of the film's tension. We all know that Whis could one-shot Broly easily with a chop to his neck, so it begs the question of why does Goku & Vegeta even bother fighting Broly if Whis is there to handle it for them.

This is why I posted earlier that Broly should kill Beerus in an all out battle early in the film. This would immediately establish Broly's threat level to Goku & Vegeta (as well as the audience) and it would prevent Whis from doing anything at all since Angels get "deactivated" when their Hakaishin dies. Golden Freeza instead of Whis could have been used to distract Broly while Goku & Vegeta fuse.

Also, the fact that the cast is unlikely to find out Beerus' secret of being responsible for the destruction of Planet Vegeta is another disappointment. This would have been a great reason for Broly & Paragus to target Beerus (with Freeza being the one who lets the secret out) and it would increase the friction between Vegeta and Beerus. After all, one of the reasons Vegeta started training under Whis was to surpass the GoDs along with Goku, so him finding out that Beerus is responsible for the U7 Saiyan's genocide would definitely be a huge motivator for him wanting to surpass and kill Beerus.

What is it with Toriyama and tension-less storytelling? Even absurd comedies need some sort of meaningful conflict in order for them to work, and Toryiama can't even seem to do that nowadays smh. Both Toei and Toyotaro (when they are not bound by Toriyama's outline) are better at creating dramatic and high-stakes storylines than modern Toriyama.