Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GTx10
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by GTx10 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:01 pm

What happened to revealing the "Goku finally..." thing?
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:03 pm

Extreme_kai wrote:I just heard the spoiler, like WTF! I hope the gag is he grows only like a cm. Keep the tiny lizard manlet smol, please!!! I can't even imagine him being tall unless he's like Golden Freeza's height. :crazy:
He'd basically look like Cooler with different purple bits:
Lukmendes wrote:So Freeza is the new Commander Red now, wonder if we'll have an equivalent to Commander Black lol.

Hopefuly Freeza is aware that Shenron can grant more than one wish and he decides to use the gag wish while also using another one, but I guess I'm hoping too much lol.
Didn't Sorbet mention that to him in Resurrection F? If that's what he wants it's not a terrible wish. Unlike usurping the gods or killing Goku or whatever, Shenron could actually do that for him.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:09 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Extreme_kai wrote:I just heard the spoiler, like WTF! I hope the gag is he grows only like a cm. Keep the tiny lizard manlet smol, please!!! I can't even imagine him being tall unless he's like Golden Freeza's height. :crazy:
He'd basically look like Cooler with different purple bits:
Lukmendes wrote:So Freeza is the new Commander Red now, wonder if we'll have an equivalent to Commander Black lol.

Hopefuly Freeza is aware that Shenron can grant more than one wish and he decides to use the gag wish while also using another one, but I guess I'm hoping too much lol.
Didn't Sorbet mention that to him in Resurrection F? If that's what he wants it's not a terrible wish. Unlike usurping the gods or killing Goku or , Shenron could actually do that for him.
I know, I just don't like it for him as a character, it takes away from his unique aesthetic and he just becomes a big muscly punchy guy like the other. It's like making Vegeta tall, just no. I'm hoping that the wish either never happens and is just brought up in passing or there is some misunderstanding about how tall he will get and he only grows like an inch. As a fan of the character I'm not gonna lie, making him too much taller would take away some of the appeals of the character for me.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:16 pm

That's an amazing wish for Freeza. I missed Dragon Ball being funny and wacky, it's a great punchline for a movie so built to cater to the "I WANT LE EPIC LORE FAIGHTS" crowd. Bonus points if Shenron does a monkey's paw and makes him 0.002 of a centimeter taller because fuck Freeza.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:22 pm

Shaddy wrote:That's an amazing wish for Freeza. I missed Dragon Ball being funny and wacky, it's a great punchline for a movie so built to cater to the "I WANT LE EPIC LORE FAIGHTS" crowd. Bonus points if Shenron does a monkey's paw and makes him 0.002 of a centimeter taller because of fuck Freeza.
I can live with that! Make the gag wish, lead to another even funnier gag. I appreciate Dragon ball for its humor, I really do but even I gotta say WTF. As someone that would like to be taller, I can think of a million other things to wish for besides that.I'm praying to Kami if he actually gets to make that wish that Shenron trolls the shit out of his ass.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:24 pm

I'm hoping that it is a "gag" in the sense that Freeza asks for a wish that Shenron can't grant because of all the limitations and Freeza is just like "....what?" and just throws a fit and then ultimately tries to just wish for something he CAN grant and asks for height.

Otherwise, he just becomes Red and it is the dumbest thing DB has ever done.

remember, we already know what one wish is used for, so I doubt Freeza gets multiple wishes.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:27 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Freeza’s wish is that he wants to be taller. Geekdom revealed it. Toriyama comin in with the gags. This is def gonna anger some people but i find this funny as hell.
:lol: I can dig it. Always love a silly gag! :thumbup:

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:33 pm

Shaddy wrote:That's an amazing wish for Freeza. I missed Dragon Ball being funny and wacky, it's a great punchline for a movie so built to cater to the "I WANT LE EPIC LORE FAIGHTS" crowd. Bonus points if Shenron does a monkey's paw and makes him 0.002 of a centimeter taller because fuck Freeza.
Lol, this movie is definitely NOT catering to the fans who want epic and lore fights. It’s been made clear this is catering to Broly fans. And just fans in general as most of this movie is just fanservice.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:36 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Shaddy wrote:That's an amazing wish for Freeza. I missed Dragon Ball being funny and wacky, it's a great punchline for a movie so built to cater to the "I WANT LE EPIC LORE FAIGHTS" crowd. Bonus points if Shenron does a monkey's paw and makes him 0.002 of a centimeter taller because fuck Freeza.
Lol, this movie is definitely NOT catering to the fans who want epic and lore fights. It’s been made clear this is catering to Broly fans. And just fans in general as most of this movie is just fanservice.
Even if it is fanservice, it ends up being a great movie it doesn't really matter, even if this prospective wish isn't helping one bit.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:40 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
It’s not for Broly fans either as spoilers clearly reveal he’s going to lose to Gogeta Weak Blue and even needs to get “saved” by a wish from the dragon. Even though he’s supposed to have infinite zenkais that he could spam indefinitely, ensuring his victory against Gogeta Blue. If that is not a dent into a Saiyans pride, i don’t know what is. If Vegeta were dead he would be rolling in his grave in disgust.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:43 pm

If this movie were specifically made for fans of Broly, it'd be a lot worse than it is.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:57 pm

Broly will join the main cast in DBAS
Last edited by RecolorSaiyan on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:58 pm

I agree with the whole if Freeza wishes to be taller all he'll get is like an extra cm or so of height instead of becoming as tall as he wants to be.

I'm mixed on them reusing Red's gag, but they've reused so much stuff for this film already I guess it's ok as long as they do it differently?

I thought about the whole second form is already tall thing, but I guess if he stayed in that form he wouldn't have ready access to his full power, so.

I think it's weird to abandon the whole Freeza wants immortality thing, but I guess since the Omni King easily killed off immortal sky face Zamasu that maybe immortality isn't enough to help Freeza achieve his new goal?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:11 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:Freeza’s wish is that he wants to be taller. Geekdom revealed it. Toriyama comin in with the gags. This is def gonna anger some people but i find this funny as hell.
And just like that, Freeza's character is completely ruined. Its so ooc and unfunny.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:14 am

Then you must have some pretty awful taste, no offense. Way to ruin a character just for a cheap gag that was only funny for Commander Red.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:18 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
It’s not for Broly fans either as spoilers clearly reveal he’s going to lose to Gogeta Weak Blue and even needs to get “saved” by a wish from the dragon. Even though he’s supposed to have infinite zenkais that he could spam indefinitely, ensuring his victory against Gogeta Blue. If that is not a dent into a Saiyans pride, i don’t know what is. If Vegeta were dead he would be rolling in his grave in disgust.
Going from the base level until being able to tackle Gogeta SSB is not enough? Or did Broly fans want him, in addition to beating Goku and Vegeta, to defeat Gogeta SSB as well? The character by itself is already exaggerated in terms of strength, more than that would be absurd

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:24 am

zarmack wrote: Then you must have some pretty awful taste, no offense. Way to ruin a character just for a cheap gag that was only funny for Commander Red.
"This movie is objectively factually bad", "it's not a real story without the things I want", and now "anyone who likes this has shit taste". This entire thread needs a crash-course in rhetoric. Remove that "no offense". You very obviously don't care, otherwise you wouldn't be leveraging the concept of others having opinions just to let them know how wrong they are for not thinking like you.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:11 am

Frieza's wish... Is this for fucking real?

Like seriously?

I am going to face-palm harder than GT Vegeta if this shit is true.

There are character gag moments, and then there is character assassination.

I can guarantee if Toyotarou or Toei ever pulled this kind of shit, fans would be raging the fuck out of this bitch instead of saying "oh hahah good troll!."

Seriously, what the fuck Toriyama?

If he wanted to do comedy and humor, he should've just stuck with Jaco. At least he wouldn't be harming stuff fans actually care about.

I seriously hope the rest of the movie is compelling. I might stay out of the thread just to hope. But by the bare looks of it it's already sounding totally unoriginal. Having Minus doesn't help the story either in my eyes.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:16 am

TBH, I would have preferred if Freeza's wish was to grow facial hair or something like that so he could look more regal...

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:21 am

at the very least the context of the wish matters even if on the surface it looks like blatant character assassination after they developed the character in the ToP and executed the character so well.