Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Rakurai » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
zarmack wrote:Exactly. I hate how hypocritical this fandom can be.
There's no hypocrisy in respecting and/or appreciating the author's take on his own character over someone else's take as mere fans (assuming this is true and does come from Toriyama).
Some fans criticized Vegeta for being mad that Goku achieved UI first before he did in the manga ToP because apparently that shat on all of his char development. Even though I disagree with that, even though Toriyama portrayed Vegeta in the kanzenban ending as still a stubborn fool for wanting to beat Goku one day. I still understood where they were coming from to an extent.

When the author constantly keeps butchering characters which have been established for so long to behave in a certain way, think in a certain way, then throw it all away for some uncharacteristic "gag" moment that has been repeated before when the tone of the series was different and the stakes much smaller. It's like giving current Vegeta a wish, only to use it on immortality. Character assassination at its finest. Doesn't matter who wrote it. It's not hypocrisy, it's fucking fair criticism.

The worst part is, Frieza already has the ability to make himself tall with those different transformations. So again what the fuck is the point in having Frieza use a wish as useless and stupid as that?

Anyways, we may be speaking too soon. The best thing that could happen is that the spoilers aren't true. If they are, then there better be a damn good execution & reason to it.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

User avatar
OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:44 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by OhHiRenan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:13 pm

I'm disappointed that it seems like Gogeta Blue ends up defeating Broly. Not because I wanted Ultra Instinct, but because I wanted straight up Gogeta Red. Super Saiyan God Gogeta would have looked real nice with his original design. I cannot imagine he's going to look too appealing with Blue. Granted, his vest may get a recolor to reflect that and it'll look fine, but I'm not holding out hope.
Check out my video game & Dragon Ball write-ups here: https://www.goombastomp.com/author/renan-fontes/

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 2986
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Miracles » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:33 pm

You guys are jumping from buildings and overdosing on sleeping pills about supposed spoilers that haven't even been confirmed.

Chill out.
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."~Psalm 14:1

User avatar
Jackalope89
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 912
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:40 pm

"Oh Freeza can just use one of his transformations to get taller!"

Except, he wouldn't be at full power then. He wants to be at full power AND taller. Freeza's only transformation that makes him more powerful, changes his color. Not his size.

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3061
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:51 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:I'm disappointed that it seems like Gogeta Blue ends up defeating Broly. Not because I wanted Ultra Instinct, but because I wanted straight up Gogeta Red. Super Saiyan God Gogeta would have looked real nice with his original design. I cannot imagine he's going to look too appealing with Blue. Granted, his vest may get a recolor to reflect that and it'll look fine, but I'm not holding out hope.
Blue did look pretty good with Fusion Goku from Broly 4D:

User avatar
CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by CTAkuma » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Immediately when i heard Frieza wants to be taller i thought of this image

Image

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:25 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:"Oh Freeza can just use one of his transformations to get taller!"

Except, he wouldn't be at full power then. He wants to be at full power AND taller. Freeza's only transformation that makes him more powerful, changes his color. Not his size.
Which makes no sense because if he has the ability to morph his own body into another shape as a form to suppress his power, he should theoretically be able to morph his body in his final form at will while retaining his power.

Thats a headcanon though. But its logic to a degree
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Kinokima » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:36 pm

vashter wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:
vashter wrote:Think tom Wednesday, you best avoid any spoilers because later today it gonna be fucking chaos with twitter, this, reddit/r/dbz, youtube, anything else gonna be wildfire spreading faster when spoilers is leak, I can say 500% someone at world premier WILL screenshot part of "goku finally", and "gogeta"
Don't we already know what's going to happen in the movie, what's left there to spoil other than "goku finally"?
Well there is massive of people doesn't believe geekdom101 spoilers i don't know why even he claim he got source from someone in funimation in another country on his youtube channel I could've sworn I heard him said Funimation that bout it, even reddit confirm geekdom101 got source from some foreign guy who a engineering on something

There are a lot of people for some silly reason jealous of Geekdom and disbelieve him because they don’t want to believe he has these type of connections. And then there are lot of people who just remain skeptical of everything no matter how much proof hits them in the face.

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7851
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:"Oh Freeza can just use one of his transformations to get taller!"

Except, he wouldn't be at full power then. He wants to be at full power AND taller. Freeza's only transformation that makes him more powerful, changes his color. Not his size.
Freeza can design his forms, Golden is like that because he wanted it to look like Super Saiyan. I REALLY doubt modern Freeza who can control his power, sense ki,... couldn't design a form that's taller and lets him use all his strength. The whole thing makes me think his motivation for wanting to surpass Zeno was just a load of Toei bullshit now.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:40 pm

Kinokima wrote:
vashter wrote:
CTAkuma wrote: Don't we already know what's going to happen in the movie, what's left there to spoil other than "goku finally"?
Well there is massive of people doesn't believe geekdom101 spoilers i don't know why even he claim he got source from someone in funimation in another country on his youtube channel I could've sworn I heard him said Funimation that bout it, even reddit confirm geekdom101 got source from some foreign guy who a engineering on something

There are a lot of people for some silly reason jealous of Geekdom and disbelieve him because they don’t want to believe he has these type of connections. And then there are lot of people who just remain skeptical of everything no matter how much proof hits them in the face.
And boy do these kind of people annoy me. And even before people knew of his connections, people just dont like his channel because he happens to know way more about dragon ball than many fans.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5336
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:40 pm

Skar wrote:Maybe Freeza wishes for his "status to reach new heights" or something and Shenron misinterprets that as him wanting grow a little taller :P.
Now that's something that would make this stupid gag funny! Freeza would still be in-character and Shenlong's misunderstanding would still make the audience laugh.
it would be kinda what happened with Goku/Pilaf in GT first episode.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

User avatar
Extreme_kai
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Extreme_kai » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:46 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:"Oh Freeza can just use one of his transformations to get taller!"

Except, he wouldn't be at full power then. He wants to be at full power AND taller. Freeza's only transformation that makes him more powerful, changes his color. Not his size.
Golden Freeza is taller than base Freeza, he's almost as tall as Goku. Also, why not wish for immortality or to be more powerful? Who cares if you're small if no one can oppose you. If this wish is true, there better be a good explanation for it, but I doubt there will be.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:03 pm

Whatever wish Freeza ACTUALLY wants granted Shenron probably can't even do though. We only ever saw immortality ever be granted by the Super DBs and something like "I wish to kill Zeno" or "Switch bodies with Zeno" or "become stronger than Zeno" obviously can't actually be granted with normal Shenron.

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3061
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:04 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Freeza can design his forms, Golden is like that because he wanted it to look like Super Saiyan. I REALLY doubt modern Freeza who can control his power, sense ki,... couldn't design a form that's taller and lets him use all his strength. The whole thing makes me think his motivation for wanting to surpass Zeno was just a load of Toei bullshit now.
For what it's worth Nagamine also mentions that motivation in his Frontline interview:
What roles will characters such as Goku, Vegeta, and Freeza play?

Goku, Vegeta, and Freeza all have many highlight moments! Goku is already coming close to the level of the gods. Vegeta is furiously trying to catch up to him. And Freeza especially shows a lot of growth this time. He’s always been haughty and held himself in high regard, but since Beerus, Whis, and the Omni-King exist, he’s trying to work out how he can reach the top. Perhaps he’s plotting to increase his strength steadily, while harboring the ambition to take down the Omni-King someday. Or maybe he won’t be able to defy him, I’m not sure. Goku is the same as always, saying, “I wanna get stronger,” simple as that.
He makes it sound like a long-term ambition rather than something he can realize immediately.

User avatar
BrolySSJL
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:26 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BrolySSJL » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:37 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:"Oh Freeza can just use one of his transformations to get taller!"

Except, he wouldn't be at full power then. He wants to be at full power AND taller. Freeza's only transformation that makes him more powerful, changes his color. Not his size.
Tell me you are joking.

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:44 pm

Freeza: I wish to stand above the Gods, Angels, and even Omniking.

Shenron: As you wish! *proceeds to make Freeza taller*

Thats the best way i could see it happening without making Freeza seem like a complete joke
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:08 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by MegaBossMan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Being a spoiler based on simply one source aside, Freeza wishing to be taller would've been entirely fine and humorous enough for me --but Toriyama's already made this joke with Commander Red. Freeza being nubbed a bit for a joke is fine, but if there's to be a gag at play, I'd prefer it be a punchline I haven't heard before. Wishing to be taller just comes across as an awkward running gag, rather than perhaps the goofy character mockery Toriyama had intended it to be.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

User avatar
YamiGoku
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by YamiGoku » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:02 pm

I hope the movie is well received.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:23 pm

I hope there's something I'll really like in the spoilers tomorrow. I hope the spoilers arrive early!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Chuquita wrote:I hope there's something I'll really like in the spoilers tomorrow. I hope the spoilers arrive early!
It is going to feel like such a long time waiting for these spoilers to come out!

Even if the spoilers end up exposing the plot as being trash though, I think it'll still be worth watching because of the fights and animation.

Post Reply