Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:23 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by vashter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Delete commmers
Last edited by vashter on Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:23 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by vashter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:25 pm

Edit I’m typing on my phone was ment to edit my post

User avatar
MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:08 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by MegaBossMan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:25 pm

So excuse me, what's all the hulalaboo going on here?

I'm sorry if you're disappointed the movie('s plot summary) failed to meet your expectations, but from a personal angle, I was entirely expecting this to be Resurrection F But With Broly and I'm glad it's something entirely more energetic and refreshing instead. Hell, I had expected Toriyama to completely disavow the whole disenfranchised rebellion appeal of Bardock's story, so the sheer fact we're even getting that has satisfied me. Although I suppose you can argue that was a matter of low expectations, the amount of the traditional fan-service nods already, while arguably cheap, will always be enough to convince me it's the greatest thing ever. Regardless, we're already starting to get into the scrutiny and criticism of the new Broly's character, but let's not forget the whole picture we're able to get currently is from haphazardly thrown-together plot summaries after the fact. There's such a tendency to throw an outrage about these things with pitifully low amounts of true context, and while I'm not intending to sound condescending simply because poor-representation of the mentally troubled Broly isn't the one we got in this film, it's imperative to at least give it the one aspect to forming a proper cognitive argument; a chance. First-hand reactions are understandable, but let's not die on these rocks already and vow to not support the film already.

But to be fair, a Broly and His Big Green Dog is the Broly House I'd gladly defend :D
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Dragono
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Dragono » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:25 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:I've just seen the summary of Ken Xyro and have some considerable differences between Narutoforums summary regarding fights. By the way, which is the most accurate?

In Narutoforums' summary, Goku and Vegeta only fight together when Broly turns into SSJ (as we saw in the trailer), but according to Ken Xyro they fight together against Rage Broly (which is strange because in the trailer when Broly is turning into SSJ, Goku is alone).

In Narutoforums, it is said that Vegeta SSG overhelm Broly base and only after almost defeating him Broly uses that '' rage '' and reaches Vegeta (without specifying if he defeated him), while Ken Xyro says all the time '' base Broly '' even when we see that he does not face SSG Vegeta only in his base form, and he says that Broly defeats him and Vegeta is unable to fight.

Ken Xyro says the fusion fails 3 times, while in Narutoforums it only fails 2 times (which is strange too, we've never seen what happens if it fails 3 times, maybe it's a mistake?)
Sounds like you are going to have to wait and see.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Doctor. » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Dragono wrote:Oh wow, then i am even more INTERESTED in why you don't like it. Because it seems like a solid dragon ball film to me. Pros and cons in all.
Because it's just movie 8 again, with everyone of its borrowed plot points executed worse, with some sprinkles of DB Minus, a bad story, and movie 12; the comedy seems to fall very flat as well, at least based on the summaries provided. Broly's story seems to be handled with no nuance whatsoever; it's just generic melodrama, which is exactly what I feared the most coming into this.

Though, to be fair, I don't think movie 8 is a bad movie.

At least this movie doesn't seem as disastrous as RF or the ToP.

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:28 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Honestly? This movie sounds like it'll be stupider than the first Broly film and only make that one look better narratively by comparison.
What is stupid in this movie thats done better in the first Broly movie.

Because it sounds to me personally that:

Dbs Broly’s character and motive > M8 Broly’s character and motive

DBS Paragus > M8 Paragus

DBS Movie fights >>>> M8 Fight

Flashback content >>> M8 Flashback content

Dbs motives of villains >>> M8 motives of villains

And hell, its not a Goku movie this time but instead Vegeta gets as much shine and even the ending is way less predictable than the M8 ending was.


Anyone mad about plot and using this movie’s seemingly lack of it as an excuse to lower it compared to other dbz movies should remember that no other DB movies really had as much plot either. I’d say B.O.G has the most plot and it seems as though the Broly movie is around that level.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
GodVegetto91
I Live Here
Posts: 2047
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:30 pm

If you guys really want to have an accurate as possible story that is more detailed, than you will have to wait until Super returns and introduces it’s own Broly Arc adaptation of the movie. That should clear many things up AND retcon many things from the movie. You have been warned, prepare to change your mind once again as things will be retconned once again than.
“The fool looks to God outside him. The wise understands that God is within him.”

Dragono
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Dragono » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:31 pm

MegaBossMan wrote:So excuse me, what's all the hulalaboo going on here?

I'm sorry if you're disappointed the movie('s plot summary) failed to meet your expectations, but from a personal angle, I was entirely expecting this to be Resurrection F But With Broly and I'm glad it's something entirely more energetic and refreshing instead. Hell, I had expected Toriyama to completely disavow the whole disenfranchised rebellion appeal of Bardock's story, so the sheer fact we're even getting that has satisfied me. Although I suppose you can argue that was a matter of low expectations, the amount of the traditional fan-service nods already, while arguably cheap, will always be enough to convince me it's the greatest thing ever. Regardless, we're already starting to get into the scrutiny and criticism of the new Broly's character, but let's not forget the whole picture we're able to get currently is from haphazardly thrown-together plot summaries after the fact. There's such a tendency to throw an outrage about these things with pitifully low amounts of true context, and while I'm not intending to sound condescending simply because poor-representation of the mentally troubled Broly isn't the one we got in this film, it's imperative to at least give it the one aspect to forming a proper cognitive argument; a chance. First-hand reactions are understandable, but let's not die on these rocks already and vow to not support the film already.

But to be fair, a Broly and His Big Green Dog is the Broly House I'd gladly defend :D
Yeah, I'm very confused. Then again this is a very diverse site of dragon ball opinions and expectations. Plus since this is called and about broly, people will go into this wanting to hate it and everything about it.

User avatar
Noitsnothim
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Noitsnothim » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:31 pm

vashter wrote:Now I understand goku never seen beerus full power but I do believe goku knows that and just going with it so beerus doesn’t blow up earth (lol) however stated last line to broly implying he “might” be, there some crazy guy somewhere in here and all over other website keep bring up how Jiren > all, but I’m going stop you there

Beerus fp => mui > Ssb gogeta > sslj broly fp => beerus => broly ssj or l before fp(?) <= base gogeta

That my opinion if you want yours go for it I’m just picturing how I see it after all that TOP / post broly movie nog site where Jiren is in atm since whole thing is shit show but remember that... Jiren is only above a GOD than his own GOD universe 11 nobody else.
Actually Vegito blue should be after SSB Gogeta and I think you know why (Potara) Regardless of the fusion lasting due to how strong they've become Vegito Blue ultimately is the stronger fusion

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Doctor. » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:32 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:DBS Paragus > M8 Paragus
How in the ACTUAL FUCK is this even remotely close to being true?

Are people so desperate to find qualities in this movie that they'll throw the one great thing about the original movie under the bus for it?

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:32 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Noitsnothim wrote:Am I the only one who's a little emotional over finding out that Goku Finally acknowledges who he truly is and his saiyan heritage?
He did that back in the Namek arc.
*Saiyan arc.
He didnt embrace his Saiyan heritage until this moment. I dont know how you could possibly spin it otherwise. Even when Goku fights Freeza he emphasizes that hes "a Saiyan from Earth" but doesnt actually express anything towards his heritage further than literally just saying he is a Saiyan.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:33 pm

The NForums summary came from a guy who knows japanese and was there at the premier.

KenXyro got his info from some friend of his at the premier who said some of the japanese was "too difficult" and couldn't even remember something as simple as if gogeta used ssg or not.

Take from that what you will

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3061
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:34 pm

CTAkuma wrote:Yes but they usually don't lie outright with character plotpoints involving clear cut numbers, does this mean Broly isn't 10 foot in LSS either?
One of those cards also said Raditz had a power level of 1600 which is higher than any other source I've seen lists for him. You can infer Broly is 10 feet tall just by looking at how big he is next to Goku.

Those cards are also what kickstarted that whole hullabaloo over SSB's stamina issues. Is that even a thing in the film? I haven't heard a word about it in any of the spoilers and it sounds like using God is just part of the serial escalation that happens in these fights.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Gogeta saving Freeza and then letting him escape later on is so stupid. Vegeta basically says at the start that he is weary of him and even goku can recognize this lizard is always up to something and to just allow him to fuck off into space is just :roll: . What makes it worse is that he was gonna kill broly who goku thought wasn't a bad person at heart whereas freeza is straight evil.

I hope freeza doesn't show up for a long ass time. I've gotten sick of him

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Doctor. » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:35 pm

PFM18 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
He did that back in the Namek arc.
*Saiyan arc.
He didnt embrace his Saiyan heritage until this moment. I dont know how you could possibly spin it otherwise. Even when Goku fights Freeza he emphasizes that hes "a Saiyan from Earth" but doesnt actually express anything towards his heritage further than literally just saying he is a Saiyan.
I don't know how you can spin it that he didn't embrace his Saiyan heritage in the Namek arc.
"I'll share some of that pride" is pretty definitive on his feelings for his heritage. Goku calling himself "Kakarot" in this movie does nothing for his character.

Lukmendes
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Lukmendes » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:36 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
RedHeat wrote:
CTAkuma wrote: Yes but they usually don't lie outright with character plotpoints involving clear cut numbers, does this mean Broly isn't 10 foot in LSS either?
Sure, but are power levels even plot points anymore? It was only used back then when it 'mattered' and never brought up again in the movie.
They are because the entire reason Broly was cast away because he was too powerful in King Vegeta's eyes. A PL of 920 isn't too powerful and that's assuming baby Broly always had a PL of 920
Power level of 920 for a kid is a really big deal considering that Nappa, a grown adult, was at around 4000 or so, and he's an elite, back in Z Raditz was flabbergasted at Gohan having a power level of around 700 too.

User avatar
Noitsnothim
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Noitsnothim » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:39 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:Gogeta saving Freeza and then letting him escape later on is so stupid. Vegeta basically says at the start that he is weary of him and even goku can recognize this lizard is always up to something and to just allow him to fuck off into space is just :roll: . What makes it worse is that he was gonna kill broly who goku thought wasn't a bad person at heart whereas freeza is straight evil.

I hope freeza doesn't show up for a long ass time. I've gotten sick of him
Reason I think Gogeta let him go cause Broly whooped his ass and embarrassed him enough as it is also must be Goku's side of the fusion being Naive (Don't you remember the end of the namek saga?)

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:23 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by vashter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Noitsnothim wrote:
vashter wrote:Now I understand goku never seen beerus full power but I do believe goku knows that and just going with it so beerus doesn’t blow up earth (lol) however stated last line to broly implying he “might” be, there some crazy guy somewhere in here and all over other website keep bring up how Jiren > all, but I’m going stop you there

Beerus fp => mui > Ssb gogeta > sslj broly fp => beerus => broly ssj or l before fp(?) <= base gogeta

That my opinion if you want yours go for it I’m just picturing how I see it after all that TOP / post broly movie nog site where Jiren is in atm since whole thing is shit show but remember that... Jiren is only above a GOD than his own GOD universe 11 nobody else.
Actually Vegito blue should be after SSB Gogeta and I think you know why (Potara) Regardless of the fusion lasting due to how strong they've become Vegito Blue ultimately is the stronger fusion
Well vegetto was originally the “perfect warrior” not anymore, buu sage use to to have potara “unlimited fuse” and “stuck forever”, now fast forward to Zamasu where gawsau mention that protara will only last 1 hour for a non mortal but get defuse real quick by using way tooo much energy of final kameameha then again in broly movie gogeta stay fused and still can finish him off while being fused. Don’t forget toryiama wrote this by getting goku telling broly that line that kinda of like a big fu to Jiren a bit

User avatar
CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by CTAkuma » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:40 pm

Lukmendes wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:
RedHeat wrote: Sure, but are power levels even plot points anymore? It was only used back then when it 'mattered' and never brought up again in the movie.
They are because the entire reason Broly was cast away because he was too powerful in King Vegeta's eyes. A PL of 920 isn't too powerful and that's assuming baby Broly always had a PL of 920
Power level of 920 for a kid is a really big deal considering that Nappa, a grown adult, was at around 4000 or so, and he's an elite, back in Z Raditz was flabbergasted at Gohan having a power level of around 700 too.
Baby Broly has a weaker PL than 920 most likely seeing as saiyans PL also grow with their age. Also it was mentioned Broly's PL broke a scouter, which at something below 920 as a baby is contradictory and doesn't make sense

User avatar
Noitsnothim
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Noitsnothim » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:41 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:The NForums summary came from a guy who knows japanese and was there at the premier.

KenXyro got his info from some friend of his at the premier who said some of the japanese was "too difficult" and couldn't even remember something as simple as if gogeta used ssg or not.

Take from that what you will
Do you have a link to this Summary i'd like to read it and compare it to KenXyro's and Geekdom's recent video

Post Reply