Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by vashter » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:38 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:It seems according to some guy who’s seen the movie that Gogeta’s parts that were usually orange, are now yellow. This just pisses me off. Why the hell would they need to change that? It’s what made Gogeta’s design so awesome and it’s what seperated him from Gotenks. I was afraid this might happen since Tori and Toei always pull these stupid stunts but unfortunately it’s true now. Another huge dissapointment of this movie. It seems they dissapoint us one thing after another.
what? Toriyama design it, idk why you blaming toei, and so many people in here said that gogeta is same design as m12

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:05 am

"0/10 too much yellow".

Is this really the debate we're gonna have?

I mean, the real problem is that they brought in Gogeta instead of finding some sort of strategic or technique-based way of beating Broly. Because it's easier, as with pretty much everything this series does. It's beginning to get kind of depressing.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:27 am

PFM18 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
Golden Freeza facing SSJ Broly? :lol:
Yeah that was in the spoilers. He gets his ass kicked as Goku and Vegeta learn the fusion dance.
Oh. At least Freeza battles.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:37 am

Shaddy wrote:"0/10 too much yellow".

Is this really the debate we're gonna have?

I mean, the real problem is that they brought in Gogeta instead of finding some sort of strategic or technique-based way of beating Broly. Because it's easier, as with pretty much everything this series does. It's beginning to get kind of depressing.
It seems like you guys will never understand that in dragon ball when an enemy is too powerful, strategies will not work. You keep trying to compare dragon ball to every other anime you watch and you can’t.

You’ll have to get over your “depression” since I’m sure a lot of people have been looking forward to seeing Gogeta make an official appearance.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:48 am

One interesting thing that’s just popped into my head is that if Broly Rage form is him using some sort of Oozaru power, his SSJ form would be like he’s using SSJ (Golden) Oozaru power, right? It might sound strange, but Brolys SSJ form is definitely the SSJ of his Rage form. So that’s something pretty interesting about Brolys SSJ transformation compared to everybody else’s, and it explains why it looks different. I do wonder if he could have a base form looking SSJ though.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:53 am

Are we still hiding things in spoiler tags? I can't tell from the discussion anymore

Anyway-

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:03 am

TheOne wrote: It seems like you guys will never understand that in dragon ball when an enemy is too powerful, strategies will not work. You keep trying to compare dragon ball to every other anime you watch and you can’t.
You're right, I should never hold out hope that these characters will ever find a creative solution to a problem, I should just sit down and take what I'm given and never complain or compare it to any other anime, least of all the one where problems could be solved by shouting math problems at enemies or using a bald head to reflect light at people. That stuff's for pussy anime. This is Dragon Ball, where it's bland, it's predictable, and we like it that way!

At least Broly not dying adds to my counter for fusions never actually finishing their opponents. That's nice I guess.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:18 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:It seems according to some guy who’s seen the movie that Gogeta’s parts that were usually orange, are now yellow. This just pisses me off. Why the hell would they need to change that? It’s what made Gogeta’s design so awesome and it’s what seperated him from Gotenks. I was afraid this might happen since Tori and Toei always pull these stupid stunts but unfortunately it’s true now. Another huge dissapointment of this movie. It seems they dissapoint us one thing after another.
Oh for the love of ...

*sigh* you know what? Goody for you.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:23 am

Shaddy wrote:
TheOne wrote: It seems like you guys will never understand that in dragon ball when an enemy is too powerful, strategies will not work. You keep trying to compare dragon ball to every other anime you watch and you can’t.
You're right, I should never hold out hope that these characters will ever find a creative solution to a problem, I should just sit down and take what I'm given and never complain or compare it to any other anime, least of all the one where problems could be solved by shouting math problems at enemies or using a bald head to reflect light at people. That stuff's for pussy anime. This is Dragon Ball, where it's bland, it's predictable, and we like it that way!

At least Broly not dying adds to my counter for fusions never actually finishing their opponents. That's nice I guess.
I get your point, really I do. But you're using two scenes from literally ancient times as the rule, where they were in fact, exceptions.

Still one of my favorite Krillin moments, though.

Edit: ironically enough, the krillin chiaotzu fight proves the One's point, since chiaotzu was weaker and superior techniques couldn't ssve him. ;P

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:32 am

I'd say it's never too late for anything to transform into a better version of itself. The ToP itself was a start, even though Roshi for example was far below the other characters in power, he had techniques and intellect to his advantage which is what allowed him to stick around as long as he did. It's a really good thing, I'd just prefer that was every battle. Super has proven that Toriyama and Toei aren't afraid of breaking every rule Dragon Ball set for itself, and considering how restrictive and homogenizing the rules set by Z are, I really want to see them transitioned away from entirely.

You can even still keep Broly as an intimidating beast, just give him something uniquely un-counterable to have for himself and work out a complicated solution that only works on him.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:35 am

alakazam^ wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I'm not saying Paragus is less loving. I'm saying they're excessively presenting him as an evil bastard to make us sympathize with Broly. I don't need characters telling me in my face that Broly is being controlled by Paragus and that's a bad thing and poor little Broly he's such a tragic creature, I can see that very clearly.
Doctor. wrote:Whether you believe the story was well presented or not, both the visuals and Paragus' monologues present a very clear story: the story of a man who loved his son, or at least was concerned for his well-being, and changed to see him as nothing more than a tool for revenge after witnessing his barbarism firsthand. The shot of Paragus holding Broly's hand as they're both about to die is more than enough to lay to rest this claim that Paragus didn't have any "revealing qualities of him being inherently kind to Broly."
Actually, from the summary, both versions of Paragus don't seem that different. Your rant just sounds like "old is good, new is bad", which isn't surprising considering your general attitude towards Super, which does question how much weight your opinion actually has. If the narutoforum guy's summary is to be trusted, I fail to see how you can say that movie 8's versions of the characters are better since in this movie they're either the same or more fleshed out.

Anyone can embellish anything with pretty words and that's what you're doing with Paragus. Sure, it's a nice drawing of him holding Broli's hand and looking all worried but saying he loved his son and then got emotionally numb and turned into an asshole is pretty much reaching. He can care about his son all he wants but it's clear Broli is first and foremost a tool for him to use - which is expected behavior of a Saiyajin, by the way - and the movie shows this when Paragus happily leaves Broli to die on the planet when he thinks he can't calm him down again.

Also, I might be misremembering but weren't you the one complaining about Toriyama's modern "trend" of introducing kind Saiyajin? Because your version of Paragus is very much like that...
I don't know how anyone can reply to my post yet ignore everything I said. I said the problem isn't with Paragus' characterization, I even said he seems the same in the post you're replying to; the problem is the presentation. I don't like the way they're excessively demonizing Paragus in order to make Broly look more tragic. It's nothing more than overt melodrama.

Yes, Broly is a tool for him to use. He also loved his son. The movie shows both sides of the character very clearly.

I don't mind exceptions. Paragus was a decent father in a sea of cunts. That loses impact when kind-hearted Saiyans like Tarble and Bardock are easy to find.

But I don't know why you people are getting so upset over this point. Unlike anything else I've criticized this movie for, I actually said I'd wait for the movie on this point before stating my argument with conviction.
Last edited by Doctor. on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:36 am

It really sucks I won't be able to see the movie until it gets a home video release. There isn't a theater showing it within 100 miles of me. :cry: Hopefully the light novel will get translated.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:52 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:It really sucks I won't be able to see the movie until it gets a home video release. There isn't a theater showing it within 100 miles of me. :cry: Hopefully the light novel will get translated.
Remind me in few months I will help you with that.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:54 am

Shaddy wrote:

I’m glad you have seen the error of your ways :roll:
How i predict the tournament will end:

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:59 am

Doctor. wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I'm not saying Paragus is less loving. I'm saying they're excessively presenting him as an evil bastard to make us sympathize with Broly. I don't need characters telling me in my face that Broly is being controlled by Paragus and that's a bad thing and poor little Broly he's such a tragic creature, I can see that very clearly.
Doctor. wrote:Whether you believe the story was well presented or not, both the visuals and Paragus' monologues present a very clear story: the story of a man who loved his son, or at least was concerned for his well-being, and changed to see him as nothing more than a tool for revenge after witnessing his barbarism firsthand. The shot of Paragus holding Broly's hand as they're both about to die is more than enough to lay to rest this claim that Paragus didn't have any "revealing qualities of him being inherently kind to Broly."
Actually, from the summary, both versions of Paragus don't seem that different. Your rant just sounds like "old is good, new is bad", which isn't surprising considering your general attitude towards Super, which does question how much weight your opinion actually has. If the narutoforum guy's summary is to be trusted, I fail to see how you can say that movie 8's versions of the characters are better since in this movie they're either the same or more fleshed out.

Anyone can embellish anything with pretty words and that's what you're doing with Paragus. Sure, it's a nice drawing of him holding Broli's hand and looking all worried but saying he loved his son and then got emotionally numb and turned into an asshole is pretty much reaching. He can care about his son all he wants but it's clear Broli is first and foremost a tool for him to use - which is expected behavior of a Saiyajin, by the way - and the movie shows this when Paragus happily leaves Broli to die on the planet when he thinks he can't calm him down again.

Also, I might be misremembering but weren't you the one complaining about Toriyama's modern "trend" of introducing kind Saiyajin? Because your version of Paragus is very much like that...
I don't know how anyone can reply to my post yet ignore everything I said. I said the problem isn't with Paragus' characterization, I even said he seems the same in the post you're replying to; the problem is the presentation. I don't like the way they're excessively demonizing Paragus in order to make Broly look more tragic. It's nothing more than overt melodrama.

Yes, Broly is a tool for him to use. He also loved his son. The movie shows both sides of the character very clearly.

I don't mind exceptions. Paragus was a decent father in a sea of cunts. That loses impact when kind-hearted Saiyans like Tarble and Bardock are easy to find.

But I don't know why you people are getting so upset over this point. Unlike anything else I've criticized this movie for, I actually said I'd wait for the movie on this point before stating my argument with conviction.
People getting frustrated for nothing or just because you have a different point of view... just ignore them.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:35 am

Calling it now:

Just like the whole point of RoF was to make Frieza relevant to compete in the ToP, the whole point of Broly movie was to have Frieza witness the potential of fusion and make him decide to fuse with Cooler in order to eradicate the saiyan duo once for all.

My prediction. Calling it now.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:56 am

I'll take that bet. I don't think Cooler's ever showing up in this continuity. If he does...well, it won't be my problem because I'll hopefully have jumped from the sinking ship that this series will have become for them to resort to that. Broly, for all his issues, has always been unique to me in being one of only 3 Z film villains without a direct parallel of something from the series (well, Wheelo only resembles Gero in retrospect, but still). Cooler is the antithesis to that. He's a carbon copy of Freeza that lacks all of Frieza's most defining elements, and has a less interesting, less-pleasing design to boot. He even copies his brother's plots to a T, complete with taking over a Namek and coming back as a robot. I'd call him the worst movie villain if I didn't know that there were a bunch of way worse ones (actually, there's only like 2 good movie villains).

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:10 am

Grimlock wrote:
You have this TV spot in a better quality?

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:24 am

Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu