Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by CTAkuma » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:17 pm

Tai Lung wrote: no, you yes??.
potara = / = fusion dance
no, you do not have proof of it vados speaks in reference to the potala fusion of kefla, next ...
I do not say that gogeta does not exceed it, I say that broly does not seem to do it as far as I've seen it can change esp if something is shown when he sees the movie.
feats >>>> mentions
You seem to ignore the statement that Broly may be stronger than Beerus and he's the strongest enemy yet, Fusion dance isn't infinetly weaker than Potara and the atleast tens of times proves that, Broly keeping up with Gogeta in Blue is a way better feat by the way and him pushing Gogeta to blue proves that
Jmass97 wrote:I’d just leave it alone at this point dude lol it’s hopeless
It's still downplay to the third degree, i mean Kefla=Broly lmao

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:51 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
no, you do not have proof of it vados speaks in reference to the potala fusion of kefla, next ...
I do not say that gogeta does not exceed it, I say that broly does not seem to do it as far as I've seen it can change esp if something is shown when he sees the movie.
feats >>>> mentions
You seem to ignore the statement that Broly may be stronger than Beerus and he's the strongest enemy yet, Fusion dance isn't infinetly weaker than Potara and the atleast tens of times proves that, Broly keeping up with Gogeta in Blue is a way better feat by the way and him pushing Gogeta to blue proves that
if there is anything that supports this claim I will accept it

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:02 pm

SSJB Gogeta < Merged Zamasu = Blue Vegetto (FT) < MUI < Broly Full Power < Jiren < UI Omen < SSJ2 Kefla < SSJ Gogeta = SSJ Broly < SSJ Kefla < Base Gogeta <= SSJB Kaioken 20 / SSJB Evo (TOP) < SSJB = Ikari Broly < SSJB (TOP) < SSJG < base Kefla <= SSJG (TOP) < SSJ < base < base Broly (starting power)

That's how i see it at this point guys. I take MUI Goku as the strongest single fighter we've seen into full force action, only to be exceeded by fusion ... and maybe challenged by Beerus.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:30 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:
feats >>>> mentions
if there is anything that supports this claim I will accept it
"Kefla and Goku are approaching God of Destruction level"
"Broly you might be stronger than Beerus!"

Those two statements are literally all you need
Doctor. wrote:
BrolySSJL wrote:The new poster looks like a bad fan art...
I don't like it either. The nose is awful and the smile is far too abruptly curved.
I think this is pretty much the definition of a nitpick.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:57 pm

That new poster, while FAR from "bad" as some crazy people are saying, definitely exudes my single biggest problem with the new designs: the faces are very scrunched up. The mouth, nose, and eyes are consistently way too close to each other. Certain shots don't reflect this, but many do, and as much as I'm really enjoying these new designs, I hope in the future they edit them to be more in line with old school Dragon Ball that doesn't have the facial features squished into the center of the face.
PFM18 wrote:
I think this is pretty much the definition of a nitpick.
I don't know about that. If this was one second long image from the film, then yes, but this a official POSTER. If anything deserves to be meticulously judged and should be expected to be perfect, it would be something like this.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:29 pm

Tai Lung wrote:because goku and not vegeta? (his family did more damage) or gohan that was stronger.
as he unconsciously a baby saves someone but could not defend himself from the stabbing? .
even knowing that it is true, all this for the crying of a baby .. keeps sounding ridiculous only shows that they could not explain anything of what they wanted to express
Baby Kakarot [Or Goku in general] was never Broly's motivation. The crying scene was explained as the destiny of these two being born on the same day one after the other.
Hinting at their fated future battle which they had years later. Paragus made it clear to Vegeta, Broly's motive was destruction.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:35 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
Artorias wrote:I agree with the sentiment that is being expressed by many that Full Power Broly getting stomped is weird and disappointing, but at the same time....does anyone else feel like this is really meta? 99% chance it's not actually self-aware Toei, but this is the only thing about Broly that was brought over from the old films. And this big, dumb, iconic form that defined the character and represented everything wrong with him for decades just getting pooped on immediately strikes me as hilariously self-aware and the ultimate meta commentary.
Considering, from the promos, its Broly's first ever actual fight against sapient people, I'd say he did pretty well. Pushing Goku and Vegeta to not only fuse with metamoran dance, but go blue and keep pushing his power higher and higher....

One can only wonder how far Broly can go if he had half the training Goku and Vegeta have had.
I'm not really talking power levels or whatnot here (to be honest I just don't care about that kind of stuff). I'm more just speaking narratively in a general sense, that having the villain power up to his most iconic form only to get rocked is a weird choice.
JazzMazz wrote:
Artorias wrote:I agree with the sentiment that is being expressed by many that Full Power Broly getting stomped is weird and disappointing, but at the same time....does anyone else feel like this is really meta? 99% chance it's not actually self-aware Toei, but this is the only thing about Broly that was brought over from the old films. And this big, dumb, iconic form that defined the character and represented everything wrong with him for decades just getting pooped on immediately strikes me as hilariously self-aware and the ultimate meta commentary.
I think this is something that's more related to Toriyama ,since his the one who came up with the scenario and engaged with how the scenario would play out...
Well in that case, Toriyama would be the meta one. Coming in, completely rewriting the character, and then having his final form get pooped on for the lols.
PFM18 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
zarmack wrote:
It doesn't work as intended meta commentary. Because if it was, they would have reused the personality traits and storyline of the old Z-Broly for the film to (in)directly call out and mock it, instead of just having him get beat up in is most famous form.
I know its almost guaranteed not actually meta, I just found it poetically funny that the one major thing from the old films gets promptly stomped out.
It is still stupidly, insanely strong. A SSB fusion being needed to take you down is an honor in and of itself IMO. So in a way he isn't portrayed as weak but it kind of is at the same time.

But it is nice to see a fusion actually get something done in "canon" for once since ever.
I'm not really looking at this from a "how strong is he" perspective. I just meant more narratively speaking that this is a weird way to structure a fight.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:44 pm

Artorias wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:
Considering, from the promos, its Broly's first ever actual fight against sapient people, I'd say he did pretty well. Pushing Goku and Vegeta to not only fuse with metamoran dance, but go blue and keep pushing his power higher and higher....

One can only wonder how far Broly can go if he had half the training Goku and Vegeta have had.
I'm not really talking power levels or whatnot here (to be honest I just don't care about that kind of stuff). I'm more just speaking narratively in a general sense, that having the villain power up to his most iconic form only to get rocked is a weird choice.
I think it may have actually been due to the previous films. In all three movies, Broly is an untoppable power house who curbstomps everyone until he's beaten by a trick the heroes pull out their ass at the last moment. I can see why they might decide to shy away from that for the 4th movie in which the character appears, reboot or not.

I think it will make for a nice change for Broly to be fighting someone as powerful as himself for a change, at least he'll lose fair and square and not get cheated out of his win.

Jmass97
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jmass97 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:34 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Jmass97 wrote:
Tai Lung wrote:
ridiculous, is what you're telling me do you think goku ssb is currently stronger than goku SSB + KKx20 (TOP)? because for me no sorry but not
MUI >>>> UI omen >>>>> SSB + KKx20
you are underestimating what increases the "UI" also I give more importance to the facts than to the mentions and that you have defeated a goku SSB does not tell me anything.

but it's still SSB KK (TOP) >> SSB current
I did not say that, I think broly is stronger than kefla but it does not seem to be a big difference

because goku and not vegeta? (his family did more damage) or gohan that was stronger.
as he unconsciously a baby saves someone but could not defend himself from the stabbing? .
even knowing that it is true, all this for the crying of a baby .. keeps sounding ridiculous only shows that they could not explain anything of what they wanted to express
You do realize that even if a current blue Goku isn’t stronger than blue Kaio-Ken from the tournament that doesn’t mean that Broly isn’t as well by default right? We know that even if Goku were to use Kaio-Ken in the film he’d only get 20x stronger so if Broly in his Ikari form is already close to blue in strength and he goes ssj that’s at least a 50x multiplier and we actually know it’s more since he rivals a Goku and Vegeta who fuse (a x b) THEN they turn ssj on top of that. So ssj Broly alone is far more powerful than what you’re perceiving him to be. He then goes full power and Gogeta needs to go blue in order to have an advantage over Broly. The jump from ssj to blue is huge and they both definitely surpassed phase 2 ui from the tournament and by a huge margin...it’s not a hard concept to grasp honestly
To be honest, Toriyama has never used any multiplier related to SSJ in the series. These numbers were only shown in some guides that were supposedly supervised by him, but that was hardly something he saw in its entirety. Toriyama himself said he felt like the SSJ was only 10x stronger (obviously that's wrong, but it shows that it's probably not as absurd as 50x).

Broly SSJ without any conscience beat Golden Freeza for an hour and Frieza survived. Goku and Vegeta SSB together are apparently able to face Broly for a while. I do not think he's 20x stronger than the two of them together. I believe that SSB and KK x20 / SSBE would be able to face Broly SSJ
Whatever floats your boat lol and Goku and Vegeta do nothing to Broly in ssj and literally run from the man lol

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:40 pm

PFM18 wrote:I think this is pretty much the definition of a nitpick.
I don't think anyone implied this was a big deal. I said it's a bad drawing.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:45 pm

Doctor. wrote:
That's not what I meant. I meant determining it is a bad drawing just because of the curvature of the smile.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:47 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
That's not what I meant. I meant determining it is a bad drawing just because of the curvature of the smile.
Which I also didn't do. I said it was a bad drawing because of the curvature of the smile and the nose. The Yamamuro-like nose is awful and Dragon Ball doesn't do smiles like that, so I don't see how they're nitpicks.

Goku98
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goku98 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:56 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Also, the new movie is coming out in Germany, and Italy!
Finally :clap:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:12 pm

TheRed259 wrote:English trailer: WE ARE GOGETA!!!
FUNimation, Toei, or whoever is in charge of this decision, please give us a dub/sub option.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:20 pm

I don't follow the dub but I was under the impression the dub used Go-gue-ta as the spealing or was it always Go-ji-ta?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:35 pm

Huh, so they did end up dubbing this one. They never dubbed the previous trailer though, did they?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:36 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:There's nothing to "leave alone".
Sure there is. Gogeta's design isn't Toriyama's conception. Instead of simply reusing or reintroducing the perfectly good OG design, he decides to change the jacket color for no absolutely necessary reason.
Jmass97 wrote: Gogeta in blue with the orange shoulder guards definitely would not have been that visually...pleasant. But that’s just my opinion
There's been fanart of Blue Gogeta going around for ages. It's no better than SSB Goku with orange gi or Vegetto with orange undershirt. Aesthetically SSB is all-around crap tbh.

Idc if it's a nitpick. If they were going to reintroduce Gogeta and keep the same design, then there was literally zero point in recoloring his fucking jacket. They're already ripping off M8 & M12, recoloring characters isn't going to make it more original.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:40 pm

Well, the UK is getting subbed showings. That makes me hopeful for America too...when in the world are tickets going on sale anyway?

https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/10 ... 6146772992