Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:26 am

Sora Saiyan wrote:
Terez wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote:Does this “canon” thing but that debate to bed, or do some people believe it’s still down to the fans? Honestly I’ve been in the camp that Toriyamas continued story (BoG, RoF etc.) is what’s considered “canon”, and it seems Shueshia also believe that.
It's down to the fans either way. There are only a few things that (based on official statements) we can say are "canon" or "not canon". Beyond that point, there's still mass confusion. Like, Super is the "canon" sequel to Toriyama's manga (implying, along with other statements, that GT was not)... but there are 3 separate continuities for Super. Which one is canon? Are they all canon? Do we go with the movies or Toriyama's napkin outline for the anime/manga? There are diverse answers to these questions and therefore we're pretty much back to where we started, really.
That’s very true, but at least this has gave a bit more clarity as to what is actually considered canon. There’s been a lot of arguments surrounding the matter, so it’s nice to see that the discussion has now been narrowed down a lot.
In the field who believed Super was canon there was always the argument over which version was canon like you mentioned.... but then on top of that there was also a fair few arguments about Super not being canon, and arguments about what takes it’s place.

Honestly, I didn’t ever really get involved in those discussions, but I’m glad now that when they take place people aren’t going in blind.

It becomes more clear if we differentiate story and execution. The execution differs within the different media, but it's the same storyline, just like DBZ differs from the original manga but it's still the same storyline, not a completely different story altogether like GT or the older movies.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:21 pm

To be honest, I am salty about that statement of Vegetto and Gogeta being "equal" that's just bullshit since it's been said that the potara fusion is stronger overall, and that rivalry boost (not sure about that one) + the design is more badass, it's bad enough already that the potara fusion got reconned so bad with this 1 hour time limit.

That being said, as someone who never liked movie 12's Gogeta, I like this one's design much more (must be because his widow's peak isn't as huge as movie 12's and reminds me more of Vegetto)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:27 pm

I've been hearing that characters don't say their signature move names when they use them, and instead there's a narrator saying for them like it was a wrestling match.
I don't know how to process this. Feels like something they wanted to innovate, but it won't work well and may backfire.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:58 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:I've been hearing that characters don't say their signature move names when they use them, and instead there's a narrator saying for them like it was a wrestling match.
I don't know how to process this. Feels like something they wanted to innovate, but it won't work well and may backfire.
Probably not. Seems to work well if barely anyone is complaining about it (of who have seen the movie)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Venus wrote:To be honest, I am salty about that statement of Vegetto and Gogeta being "equal" that's just bullshit since it's been said that the potara fusion is stronger overall
That was never implied in Dragon Ball's story.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:50 pm

https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/10 ... 9402565632

This is awful. Why did they think ANYONE would enjoy this?

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:53 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/10 ... 9402565632

Super Cheesy but its not the end of the world.. I kinda think its funny :lol: .. The actual tune is awesome, you can feel the tension in it!
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:52 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/10 ... 9402565632

I enjoy it.

It's cheesy and ridiculous and strangely catchy and pretty much what I would expect from a Dragon Ball film. Looking forward to hearing the whole track.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:13 pm

I have no problem with it. Also, from the Future Trunks arc, Sumitomo DB's music is very good and this OST looks amazing.

slamsoze

Post by slamsoze » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Today morning ,after reading this topic i made some google research to catchup with sime info about the new characters in the movie.Result was i ended up in dragonball.wikia where in the Dragon Ball Super:Broly movie page,the whole synopsis/plot of the movie was written.It had so much details so i assume it was not fake.Only the prologue of the movie was as big as a common movie synopsis is usually in these cases.The wierd part was that , as i was reading from mobile phone,i achieved to read the prologue and some from the first part of the movie, and after a refresh it was disappeared, possibly someone posted it but they removed it cause of spoilling the movie.
I really do not like spoilers, but being in a country that the movie will never be distributed to cinemas, i hoped i could just take a taste like reading a book or sonething until it will be available through some way in the internet here.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:17 pm

Just heard the preview for Bardock Falls... I'm already... :(
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Grimlock wrote:Just heard the preview for Bardock Falls... I'm already... :(
That is a long track, almost 5 minutes long, and it ends with what you hear in the final third of Trailer 2.
I think this one might end up being my favorite, but wow there are a lot of good ones.

Broli Broly

Post by Broli Broly » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:52 pm

Terez wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Just heard the preview for Bardock Falls... I'm already... :(
That is a long track, almost 5 minutes long, and it ends with what you hear in the final third of Trailer 2.
I think this one might end up being my favorite, but wow there are a lot of good ones.
Concerning that "Saiyan Blaster" we hear in the beginning, could it be the name of Broly's signature move, or just a random name?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:37 pm

Man, these Toriyama's retcons are getting really lame. He's the author and stuff, but I wish he kept consistent with the original manga.

Goku had first in mind that he could use the Fusion Dance to defeat Boo when he was about to get back to Earth, then Elder Kaioshin says there's a eternal fusion way stronger than the one he knows, Potara.

Decades later it is "proven" that Elder Kaioshin was wrong all this time and Potara is only a eternal fusion for Gods not Mortals, oh...

Now, only serve as something to raise this old Fusion vs. Fusion debate again he comes with Gogeta being equal to Vegetto? Diminishing Elder Kaioshin statement once again?

Oh for God's sake.
Lord Beerus wrote:That was never implied in Dragon Ball's story.
Yes it was, by Elder Kaioshin himself and there official guides stating the same thing.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

This pretty much resumes my thoughts about these two sides of the fandom, if I hadn't already a signature I would use this post as one.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:20 pm

Terez wrote:That is a long track, almost 5 minutes long, and it ends with what you hear in the final third of Trailer 2.
No wonder I liked so much. I watch Trailer 2 every day and that piece always gets me. I'm glad it's part of Bardock Falls, I can definitely say it's my favorite already. :(
Noah wrote:Yes it was, by Elder Kaioshin himself and there official guides stating the same thing.
The only thing Old Kaioshin states is that the effects of Potara fusion is greater, that does not necessarily mean "stronger". That conclusion is purely by fans. And the only guidebook that states Vegetto is stronger than Gogeta is Daizenshuu 7, no other source makes that claim. And we know that Toriyama is not bound by any claim made by any guidebook.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:40 pm

I really like the “Broly Evolves” ost. Based on all the spoilers I’ve read, it seems to fit his character perfectly. It also just plain sounds really good.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:09 pm

The source material has never stated Vegito to be greater than Gogeta in power.

As far as we now know, Vegito = Gogeta + 30 more minutes.

They;re equal in power but Vegito lasts longer. But both have their time limits drained depending on how much power they use.

So as of now, if the fought at full power against each other, Gogeta would burn out before Vegito.

There is the slim possibility that Gogeta’s time limit drainage in Blue is less than Vegito’s time limit drainage in Blue but that would be speculation based off no known info.

So Vegito would still win in a fight? Since he can afford to use full power more than Gogeta can.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:45 pm

So, a lot of people think that this movie doesn't take place in the anime continuity of Super, but rather the manga continuity. You know, because of the facts that they included elements from Dragon Ball Minus, Vegeta can go Super Saiyan God, and he and Goku didn't use SSB Evolution or Blue Kaioken. And if that's the case, why didn't they use their Mastered SSB states? Considering how super crazy strong Broly is in just Super Saiyan Gold, you think they enter into their mastered states, the manga equivalent of Kaioken/Evolution, just to try to compete with him, you know before Gogeta and all that, before no, they just stick to regular SSB. How do you guys feel about this?
Caulifla best girl! :)

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:50 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So, a lot of people think that this movie doesn't take place in the anime continuity of Super, but rather the manga continuity. You know, because of the facts that they included elements from Dragon Ball Minus, Vegeta can go Super Saiyan God, and he and Goku didn't use SSB Evolution or Blue Kaioken. And if that's the case, why didn't they use their Mastered SSB states? Considering how super crazy strong Broly is in just Super Saiyan Gold, you think they enter into their mastered states, the manga equivalent of Kaioken/Evolution, just to try to compete with him, you know before Gogeta and all that, before no, they just stick to regular SSB. How do you guys feel about this?
This movie is just a movie taking place after Toriyama's outlines and is written by Toriyama himself based on whatever he believes the story of Super follows... That is all....

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:24 pm

Well, replacing "attempt" with "experiment" or "trial" still sounds like they're talking exclusively about Broly and Gogeta, and the previous sentence was also speaking exclusively about Broly and Gogeta too, so it doesn't sound like it's hinting at other movie characters, but maybe the wording in Japanese can make it more vague or I'm just not reading it properly, my mistake if it's either case.
Venus wrote:To be honest, I am salty about that statement of Vegetto and Gogeta being "equal" that's just bullshit since it's been said that the potara fusion is stronger overall, and that rivalry boost (not sure about that one) + the design is more badass, it's bad enough already that the potara fusion got reconned so bad with this 1 hour time limit.

That being said, as someone who never liked movie 12's Gogeta, I like this one's design much more (must be because his widow's peak isn't as huge as movie 12's and reminds me more of Vegetto)
Just guidebooks said that Vegetto is stronger, and there's at least one magazine that said Gogeta was the stronger fusion too, and if you go by the manga, Old Kai just says Potara is better, and he makes a point to mention things like Potara not needing to do those steps and being never eternal, so it's possible he didn't mean that Potara is stronger.
Noah wrote:Man, these Toriyama's retcons are getting really lame. He's the author and stuff, but I wish he kept consistent with the original manga.

Goku had first in mind that he could use the Fusion Dance to defeat Boo when he was about to get back to Earth, then Elder Kaioshin says there's a eternal fusion way stronger than the one he knows, Potara.

Decades later it is "proven" that Elder Kaioshin was wrong all this time and Potara is only a eternal fusion for Gods not Mortals, oh...

Now, only serve as something to raise this old Fusion vs. Fusion debate again he comes with Gogeta being equal to Vegetto? Diminishing Elder Kaioshin statement once again?

Oh for God's sake.

Yes it was, by Elder Kaioshin himself and there official guides stating the same thing.
I mean, since in Super Gowasu explains what really happens and Shin mentions that he thought it worked in another way, what Old Kai says back in Boo makes sense considering what he thought he knew, and he just says it's better, whether or not he meant that it's stronger power-wise is moot.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.