Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Sorry for the late reply! Our plane just landed and we have a few minutes before our next flight so I can try to answer some of these.

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Hey OmegaRockman, I have a spoiler question for you.
Champa The Destroyer wrote:I have two questions for people that have seen the movie, I dont care about spoilers, I'm gonna spoil the film for myself anyway. :P

1. How does this film rank among other Dragon Ball films? Is it Battle of Gods level, or around Bio-Broly level? (They're usually considered the best and worst films, respectively).

2. How good is the Broly character himself in this film? I mean, almost anything would be better than old Broly, but how does he compare to other characters? Is he as well written as Zamasu or Freeza, or is he as badly written as Fat Boo?
That first question doesn't require spoilers so I'll leave it untagged. I'd rank the film just under Battle of Gods (my favorite DB film) in terms of personal enjoyment. The other films are just kind of mindless fun for me, but BoG went out of its way to have a more involved story. This film does the same to a certain extent, though it is fair to say that it loses some of that story and character driven nature once it gets into the spectacle. But it's AMAZING spectacle, so I'mnot complaining.

To answer your second question...
Steven Bloodriver wrote:
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:34 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:Sorry for the late reply! Our plane just landed and we have a few minutes before our next flight so I can try to answer some of these.

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Hey OmegaRockman, I have a spoiler question for you.
Champa The Destroyer wrote:I have two questions for people that have seen the movie, I dont care about spoilers, I'm gonna spoil the film for myself anyway. :P

1. How does this film rank among other Dragon Ball films? Is it Battle of Gods level, or around Bio-Broly level? (They're usually considered the best and worst films, respectively).

2. How good is the Broly character himself in this film? I mean, almost anything would be better than old Broly, but how does he compare to other characters? Is he as well written as Zamasu or Freeza, or is he as badly written as Fat Boo?
That first question doesn't require spoilers so I'll leave it untagged. I'd rank the film just under Battle of Gods (my favorite DB film) in terms of personal enjoyment. The other films are just kind of mindless fun for me, but BoG went out of its way to have a more involved story. This film does the same to a certain extent, though it is fair to say that it loses some of that story and character driven nature once it gets into the spectacle. But it's AMAZING spectacle, so I'mnot complaining.

To answer your second question...
Steven Bloodriver wrote:
No worries, you replied quite quickly in my case, and also thank you for doing so, OmegaRockman. :thumbup:

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:20 pm

Broli Broly wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:I wish I could get some evidence to support my view that the Ikari form is not necessary to achieve Super Saiyan C Type/Super Saiyan Type C.
You Can't, buddy! I would say that Ikari is the "core" and the preliminary stage of SS C Type and Full Power SSJ. In Ikari we can clearly see Broly' seize growing gradually, and also that "green" aura of him started to emit from him after entering Ikari mode. This means that the capacity to "use Oozaru power in Human form" is what makes Broly a "mutant" among Saiyans as king Vegeta described him.
No his unique forms and amplified Saiyan abilities are what make him a mutant. Also if it were necessary to have Ikari to reach SS C Type then Kale would have had it too, regardless of the evolutionary paths both universes took.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:58 am

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7961060/?ref_=nv_sr_1

IMDb gives it a 10/10 rating! :o :clap:

I expect it to reduce, but that is quite a first impression.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

SuperSaiyanSmoke

Post by SuperSaiyanSmoke » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:45 am

Hi Guys

To those who have seen the movie, can anyone tell me if the soundtrack is good? Does it makes you all squirmy with goosebumps?

:D

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arg » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:55 am

Is there any explanation within the movie as to why Broly has green aura in the first place? And also why/how Vegeta got God(red)?

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:37 am

Arg wrote:Is there any explanation within the movie as to why Broly has green aura in the first place? And also why/how Vegeta got God(red)?
Vegeta got red by training same as how he got blue. Super already explained that. This is just the first time we've seen him use it.

Heck it should be a given but he can use SSJ3 now too but chooses not to cuz he dislikes the form.

Vegeta rarely cycles through his forms, he usually goes full power or not at all.

My question is how long is the wait usually for some decent fan subs/bootleg to tide us over till official release?

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:00 am

9.9 / 10 at IMDB from 553 Users that's impressive hmm i guess it will stay most likely at 9 stars

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:22 am

Is there any explanation within the movie as to why Broly has green aura in the first place?
Nope.
And also why/how Vegeta got God(red)?
They don't explain that in the movie.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:44 am

For those that have seen the movie, how did you see it before it was released?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:49 am

ABED wrote:For those that have seen the movie, how did you see it before it was released?
I saw majority of it on youtube, some guys had it recorded in the theater, the videos are removed now ofcourse

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:12 am

Does Freeza even see Bardock once? Bardock fires his blast once Freeza had fired his and it was already close to hitting the planet. It seems to me like Freeza never had a chance to see Bardock for himself and it seems like Bardock never actually rebelled, but more or less just tried a last-ditch effort to save everyone at the end.

That scene seems like it had something cut for the theatrical release.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:44 am

Doctor. wrote:Does Freeza even see Bardock once? Bardock fires his blast once Freeza had fired his and it was already close to hitting the planet. It seems to me like Freeza never had a chance to see Bardock for himself and it seems like Bardock never actually rebelled, but more or less just tried a last-ditch effort to save everyone at the end.

Clearly something happened before the moment Freeza comes out and fires at the planet. Bardock is battle-damaged and with others alongside him. A pity that it wasn't explained or expanded upon.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:09 am

From what I can tell the only enjoyable parts of the movie are when they start fighting.
Everything beforehand are just events that happen with little drama and excitement, as if they just needed to put it in there because the script said so.
The motivation for the struggle of the Dragon Balls is laughable and the movie seems best to be viewed as lighthearted fun with not very serious motivations behind the characters needing to do battle.
It's basically Freeza organizing a play date between his rivals and his new toy, distracting them so he he can get his dumb wish granted.

I wonder if these inconsequential plots are going to be the way to go from now on?
Surely this is just a downtime fun story until we get to a new story, where the universe(s) will be at stake again.

Anination and overall visual spectacle is off the charts though and that's what they are good at, making it all epic and cool and shoehorning in all those transformations, which will have Bandai salivating like a thirsty dog.
Very well done on that front and with the music too!

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:35 am

Even if one slightly prefers the script of BOG, the art and the animation of this movie, which is important as the fight scenes have always been a crucial aspect of DB, are still far superior over BOG. The music is great too and the script as such seems far from bad either although not spectacular (I think it's better than ROF and on pair with BOG). The minor retcons don't seem to undermine the global experience. Definetely seems to be the best DB-movie ever taking into account all aspects.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:12 pm

Having to wait another month for the U.S. release is going to be painful. I've been spoiled on some things, which I don't mind that much, but I'm still purposely avoiding all the super detailed plot summaries that go over every little scene in the script. I should probably duck out of this thread now.
ABED wrote:For those that have seen the movie, how did you see it before it was released?
Isn't it obvious? Everyone on the internet lives in Japan. :wink:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:20 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Does Freeza even see Bardock once? Bardock fires his blast once Freeza had fired his and it was already close to hitting the planet. It seems to me like Freeza never had a chance to see Bardock for himself and it seems like Bardock never actually rebelled, but more or less just tried a last-ditch effort to save everyone at the end.

Clearly something happened before the moment Freeza comes out and fires at the planet. Bardock is battle-damaged and with others alongside him. A pity that it wasn't explained or expanded upon.
Probably something that was cut down to make it down to that hour and a half length. We all know that they had to cut out half of Toriyama's script for this movie, and this is probably where some things were cut.

Obviously there was an altercation, but they didn't show the entire thing apparently.
Marlowe89 wrote: Having to wait another month for the U.S. release is going to be painful.
Yup. Without a doubt.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:25 pm

Today marks one year since I created this thread! It went by so fast. :o

Disappointed about the movie tagline not being what is in the movie but I'm sort of happy about other aspects. :) We shall see how the movie actually plays out once it is finally released here.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:27 pm

SuperSaiyanSmoke wrote:Hi Guys

To those who have seen the movie, can anyone tell me if the soundtrack is good? Does it makes you all squirmy with goosebumps?

:D
That's a yes from me. While not everyone will be down with the wrestling announcer stuff, it transitions into some cool chanting that got me pumped. This film also has some of the best orchestral music Sumitomo has ever put out. It melted my brain in a good way.
I can't speak for others, but my fiance and I got to see it due to winning a contest where the prize was a trip to LA for the red carpet dub premiere.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:40 pm

https://twitter.com/Cipher_db/status/10 ... 8586284032

Omega, did you notice a parallel between Broly and Gohan like Cipher did?