Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Zelvin wrote:Actually I don't figure Ikari is that bad. It's all the benefits of the Oozaru power increase without the negatives. You're not becoming a giant target nor suffer any kind of speed loss from the size increase, and it's much more controllable. It's far less taxing than Super Saiyan while not as powerful, but just as good as a 10xKK without any drawbacks.

Suggesting the eyes are a callback to SS4, I can't really agree. Goku's and Vegeta's were both different colors, and Goku had pupils in SS3. So it's not really a callback. Could suggest it is, but I'd only say it was a callback if Broly kept his tail.
Hmm good points.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:Can anyone translate what it says here about Ikari form?
"A state that unleashes the power of a Great Ape instead of becoming one, in exchange for losing control of one's self."

Don't think it's anything new that wasn't covered in the film already.
Hmmm, curious.

Didn't Paragus state on the film that Broly was uncontrollable in that form?
Sorry, I misread something on the original text.

Fixed it above. Yeah Broly loses his reasoning in his Rage form.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:07 pm

The bigger question is; Does Broly retain the Ikari boost when he turns SSJ? That would make Broly's SSJ form equal to or greater in power than a typical SS3 power boost. And once again, without all the drawbacks associated with it. The only drawback is that he's not all there mentally. Of course if he does end up gaining control of himself, he'll become even more powerful.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Cetra wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:So, this might seem like a dumb question, but how does this compare to the original Broly movie?
For a general, non-spoiler description, he has more personality and is way more sympathetic. I genuinely feel that Toriyama gave him some actual depth, a lot of which comes from how he interacts with Paragas, Cheelye, and Lemo. I elaborated a little more on that in some of my previous posts (some of which are spoiler-tagged).
I hate how people say that when it is flat out not true bar the sympathetic thing. Everything character writing focus he had in the LSSJ character-wise was shifted to his base form and replaced by other characteristics. When he had 20 personality points before he basically still has 20 points now just that they are placed differently in a different form. Toriyama-san did not give him 50 personality points now. He does not have more personality writing than before. The focus was just changed from "most showing of what a person he is/can be as LSSJ to base instead". And his LSSJ form really now is just the caricature character-wise that people wrongly remember him for. So we sympathize a bit more with him because he does not like fighting and carries his dog friends' ear around him while being electrocuted to being calmed. The old Broly was already a totally poor bastard. He already had a rough life. He already was almost killed. He already had to be taken care of by his father as well as did Paragus regulate the power. I just talked with a guy about his character as a LSSJ and showed a single scene in the first Broly movie and he could immediately see what I was talking about. I hope Toei fixes this. It would only take a few scenes of Broly in the anime like him enjoying things a bit too much when he is transformed or something like that.
My thoughts exactly. People act like M10 Broly is the only one. M8 Broly wasn’t that most complex but he had more personality than just screaming kakarot

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:48 pm

Zelvin wrote:The bigger question is; Does Broly retain the Ikari boost when he turns SSJ? That would make Broly's SSJ form equal to or greater in power than a typical SS3 power boost. And once again, without all the drawbacks associated with it. The only drawback is that he's not all there mentally. Of course if he does end up gaining control of himself, he'll become even more powerful.
I'd say most likely. It definitely seems as if Broly goes Super Saiyan on top of his Ikari form rather than it just being Super Saiyan from base. Think about it, every base Super Saiyan we've seen from any user (except Kale, but she's a similar case to Broly) all look the exact same: yellow hair, yellow aura, and green eyes. Yet, Broly completely breaks this trend by having no visible irides or pupils and a green-yellow (or perhaps just green?) aura, while retaining the trademark yellow hair. It's clear that this form is quite different from base Super Saiyan, so yeah, I also think it's Super Saiyan with Ikari, which makes it a 500x boost from base as opposed to 400x boost from base like SS3 is (only possible argument against this is that Kale in the manga appears to have a form that looks exactly like Broly's unique SS form, but she doesn't have an "Ikari" stage shown). And then there is the full power variant of Broly's unique form with iconic green hair, and the multiplier for this is unknown.

Don't know what it's going to look like once Broly gains control of this form of his. Perhaps it'll look like Kefla (and Kale's controlled full power in the anime). Honestly, Broly/Kale/Kefla are very strange cases of the Super Saiyan transformation.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:04 pm

I did kinda assume Broly did stack the boost from Ikari onto his other forms. It does explain his massive increases when transforming. What I'd like to see is what his God form would look like. Certainly not that knock-off SS3 one from the 4D ride. I get the feeling that if Broly acquires the SSG power, it'll look different from Goku and Vegeta.

Just the idea of Broly attaining the God power is enough to utterly trounce even SSB Gogeta. As for what it'd look like, well, I don't think he'd get Red or Blue like Goku and Vegeta. I think Broly would get a more variant color, kinda like Rose with Black. Broly's rage combined with his inherent gentle nature shows a greater duality to his character and kinda gives the impression that he'd become much stronger if he could control his rage and focus it by way of his gentle self. I like the idea of thinking it the way they put it in "X-Men: First Class" when Xavier was helping Magneto to better focus his power. Of finding that point between rage and serenity. That, I feel, is where they may go with Broly. He has this rage, but he learns to focus and concentrate it into a tool rather than being controlled by it.

With that in mind, I'd also like to see Broly's god form herald back to his original movie self. In that Broly always had these purple highlights to his hair. I feel that purple or lavender, something of that sort, would fit him better than just making it green and would fit well with Masakox's color theory videos. Which are rather interesting. The god form would still be familiar yet also be unique to Broly.

I can totally see Broly's original hair style working for his SSG form with that hue. A callback to the Old Broly while refining it for the new Broly.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:04 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
Zelvin wrote:The bigger question is; Does Broly retain the Ikari boost when he turns SSJ? That would make Broly's SSJ form equal to or greater in power than a typical SS3 power boost. And once again, without all the drawbacks associated with it. The only drawback is that he's not all there mentally. Of course if he does end up gaining control of himself, he'll become even more powerful.
I'd say most likely. It definitely seems as if Broly goes Super Saiyan on top of his Ikari form rather than it just being Super Saiyan from base. Think about it, every base Super Saiyan we've seen from any user (except Kale, but she's a similar case to Broly) all look the exact same: yellow hair, yellow aura, and green eyes. Yet, Broly completely breaks this trend by having no visible irides or pupils and a green-yellow (or perhaps just green?) aura, while retaining the trademark yellow hair. It's clear that this form is quite different from base Super Saiyan, so yeah, I also think it's Super Saiyan with Ikari, which makes it a 500x boost from base as opposed to 400x boost from base like SS3 is (only possible argument against this is that Kale in the manga appears to have a form that looks exactly like Broly's unique SS form, but she doesn't have an "Ikari" stage shown). And then there is the full power variant of Broly's unique form with iconic green hair, and the multiplier for this is unknown.

Don't know what it's going to look like once Broly gains control of this form of his. Perhaps it'll look like Kefla (and Kale's controlled full power in the anime). Honestly, Broly/Kale/Kefla are very strange cases of the Super Saiyan transformation.
I would prefer it if his controlled Legendary Super Saiyan form looked like his regular one but with pupils.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:16 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Noah wrote:You know, battle power wise the concept of becoming strong as a Oozaru in the base form is quite stupid considering it's only a 10x increase, but it's quite interesting and reminds Super Saiyan 4.
Considering the yellow eyes, it’s most likely a callback to SSJ4.
Personally I feel that is planting the seeds to eventually introduce SSJ4 into Toriyama's canon. After all, SSJ4 is saiyan tapping into the Oozaru power without losing themselves to the beast.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:32 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Noah wrote:You know, battle power wise the concept of becoming strong as a Oozaru in the base form is quite stupid considering it's only a 10x increase, but it's quite interesting and reminds Super Saiyan 4.
Personally I feel that is planting the seeds to eventually introduce SSJ4 into Toriyama's canon. After all, SSJ4 is saiyan tapping into the Oozaru power without losing themselves to the beast.
It doesn't feel like that to me. But that's because Broly doesn't have a tail.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:39 pm

Hulk10 wrote:
Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:It doesn't feel like that to me. But that's because Broly doesn't have a tail.
I don't think that is an issue. Tapping into the Oozaru power one way or another should be impossible without a tail, and yet, Ikari is a thing.

And if you want to count the franchise as whole, Xeno Goku and Vegeta have SSJ4 despite lacking tails in their regular forms.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:41 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:
Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:It doesn't feel like that to me. But that's because Broly doesn't have a tail.
I don't think that is an issue. Tapping into the Oozaru power one way or another should be impossible without a tail, and yet, Ikari is a thing.

And if you want to count the franchise as whole, Xeno Goku and Vegeta have SSJ4 despite lacking tails in their regular forms.
True but I still feel the way I do. You are more than welcome to disagree.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:41 am

One thing from the spoilers that bothers me is that goku doesn't view freeza as a threat and seeming talk from people who have watched the movie about how he kinda views freezas a buddy, like this guy hasn't changed after 4 opportunities, its time to give him the treatment he gave to king piccolo or boo and not keep letting him go. he told goku he was gonna stay evil after ToP and still goku doesn't seem him as someone to worry about. Clearly its the goku side of gogeta that let freeza escape instead of killing him

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:20 am

Just saw Broly stumbling back in shock with a "uaghaah ...!" when Gogeta charges the Kame Hame-Ha.

I cannot express how much I hate this. There is plenty for the Broly fans he said. No. No, there is not. Broly did a step back when Goku got the other people's energy but it was so much different. Gogeta already did make him look less of a threat before. Him reacting like that on top of it completely destroys it. And I hate how Whis is watching. What is it with Dragon Ball now that the big bosses have to watch and make the antagonist shrink when it comes to the impressions the old ones gave of for at least their own arc? At least there are bits and pieces that I enjoy but damn ... this is not Broly.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:25 am

I'm not a fan of a lot of the action sequences in the film, or at least from what I've seen in the trailers. It all looks way to CGI and video game-like.

I think they try to make fight scenes these super fast ( actually fast, for us real viewers to watch) movements when we can't hardly enjoy whats actually going on. ToP did this a lot with Goku and Jiren. They also did some amazing things in that fight as well.

However, take Dbz fight Goku vs Majin Vegeta. The quality of drawing there and the fluidity of the movements make that fight in my opinion one of the best the franchise has. Not most epic fight, but one of the best. You knew what was going on, and we already know fights in Dragon ball are going at faster than the naked eye can see.

I feel like the actual quality is less in this movie from what I've seen. Movies are suppose to be the literal best of the best, quality in drawing and staying on model as well as the fight choreographs.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why they are going this route? Share my thoughts? Like the new style?

Edit: I wanted to clarify, not the entirety of the fight scenes, but things like when you see the Goku/Vegeta combo blast, it looks gross, like a fan made a cgi attempt at it. Or even the Gogeta model we got. Just, IMO, yuck.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:38 am

When Broly's pupils reappear in his ssfp state, its the same pupils as his wrathful form. So he's combining ss with oozaru :think:

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:53 am

Hulk10 wrote:
Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
It doesn't feel like that to me. But that's because Broly doesn't have a tail.
If toriyama did SS4 now I dont think he'd give it a tail, given his hatred of drawing them.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:02 am

Cetra wrote:Just saw Broly stumbling back in shock with a "uaghaah ...!" when Gogeta charges the Kame Hame-Ha.

I cannot express how much I hate this. There is plenty for the Broly fans he said. No. No, there is not. Broly did a step back when Goku got the other people's energy but it was so much different. Gogeta already did make him look less of a threat before. Him reacting like that on top of it completely destroys it. And I hate how Whis is watching. What is it with Dragon Ball now that the big bosses have to watch and make the antagonist shrink when it comes to the impressions the old ones gave of for at least their own arc? At least there are bits and pieces that I enjoy but damn ... this is not Broly.
You’re right, this isn’t Broly. This is a new Broly. We knew from the start that he was going to be different.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:08 am

ssj3kakarot wrote:I'm not a fan of a lot of the action sequences in the film, or at least from what I've seen in the trailers. It all looks way to CGI and video game-like.

I think they try to make fight scenes these super fast ( actually fast, for us real viewers to watch) movements when we can't hardly enjoy whats actually going on. ToP did this a lot with Goku and Jiren. They also did some amazing things in that fight as well.

However, take Dbz fight Goku vs Majin Vegeta. The quality of drawing there and the fluidity of the movements make that fight in my opinion one of the best the franchise has. Not most epic fight, but one of the best. You knew what was going on, and we already know fights in Dragon ball are going at faster than the naked eye can see.

I feel like the actual quality is less in this movie from what I've seen. Movies are suppose to be the literal best of the best, quality in drawing and staying on model as well as the fight choreographs.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why they are going this route? Share my thoughts? Like the new style?

Edit: I wanted to clarify, not the entirety of the fight scenes, but things like when you see the Goku/Vegeta combo blast, it looks gross, like a fan made a cgi attempt at it. Or even the Gogeta model we got. Just, IMO, yuck.
I think people have already mentioned the CGI in that section not being the greatest(apparently there is some decent CGI, but from what I've heard, that's apparently one of the weakest sequences), literally everything else I've seen and heard about the non-CGI action sequences in the film(with maybe the exception of one), is apparently out of this world kind of stuff that DB had never really had the opportunity to experience until now.

Broli Broly

Post by Broli Broly » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:40 am

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote: Personally I feel that is planting the seeds to eventually introduce SSJ4 into Toriyama's canon. After all, SSJ4 is saiyan tapping into the Oozaru power without losing themselves to the beast.
The concept of "human Oozaru" is what makes Toriyama's Broly a "mutant" and sets him apart from other Saiyans. So I don't think that a SSJ4-esque form will be accessible to any other Saiyan besides him. His overall design gives the impression of a primal, savage, Tarzan-esque Saiyan, which fits PERFECTLY with the concept of a "Human Oozaru". Maybe when Broly tapes into god-ki, he will be even more like SSJ4:

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:43 am

You’re right, this isn’t Broly. This is a new Broly. We knew from the start that he was going to be different.
Wrong but i am so tired of explaining this again and again as i did like 3 or 4 time.
The contradiction to your Post was already in the one you replied to. Try to understand it because i will surely not write it 10x. Rebooting him into nothingness was never the point.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"