Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:48 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:People were giving jiren shit and he actually possessed the ability to speak and had some fantastic one liners.
Let's also not ignore the fact that Broly doesn't know how to transform in SSJ before meeting Goku/Vegeta, and keeps unlocking forms during the fight until the climax where he's defeated by SSB Gogeta... And seems like Goku also says he can be stronger than Beerus...
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:56 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:People were giving jiren shit and he actually possessed the ability to speak and had some fantastic one liners.
Let's also not ignore the fact that Broly doesn't know how to transform in SSJ before meeting Goku/Vegeta, and keeps unlocking forms during the fight until the climax where he's defeated by SSB Gogeta... And seems like Goku also says he can be stronger than Beerus...
Yeah that's interesting.

I also can't understand why some would think that just because Broly goes from Wrathful to Super Saiyan C Type that the Super Saiyan C Type is a hybrid form and that the Legendary Super Saiyan form is a hybrid form just because its irises are revealed to be the same color as Wrathful's.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:27 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Correction. He says he is probably stronger than Beerus. Huge difference between your words and
What is implied.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:35 pm

Having been fortunate enough to have seen the movie as well let me share my own thoughts. For starters, let me just say that I did enjoy the film and I hope everyone watches it and enjoys it as well. For me, BoG still bests it by a bit overall and I actually do think some of the older movies also come close as well (personal opinion). The beginning half of the movie as mentioned here dives into the DB minus stuff. To me, it felt kind of rushed, which is odd. However, I truly believe a lot of what was cut from the film was in this section.

For example, Bardock is shown with battle damage right before he meets his end, but we don't know why that is. I personally prefer the old school Bardock personality as well, but scenes with him and Gine/Goku were touching. Young Frieza was delightful to see and we get a taste of his ruthless behaviour when he takes care of some "scouts" ;).

While I like that there was some actual story in this movie, certain points were never expanded upon. It's simply fast forward to present day and then we get ready for non stop action to the near end.

It's no secret that I'm not the biggest fan of the new designs. For the most part though, the movie looked just fine. However, due to diff styles there were definitely a few scenes that were jarring to transition to. For me, a balance of good art and animation is ideal. This is why Takahashi's/Shida (and the others who worked on Gogeta scenes) sections of the film are the best. Some people say that Shidas work here bests his Goku vs Jiren section, but i personally have to disagree there.Vegeta vs Broly was absolutely incredible and it's one of the things that was talked about most from what I heard after the movie. When Frieza is observing the fight (with the dragon balls levitated to his chest) he looks so amazing. When Frieza then switched styles to look like the design sheets, it was odd to look at (due to feature placements). For some people, turning Frieza into something "cute" was nice but for me it isn't.

I know many of the members of this board will praise Onishi's and Tate's work but for me they were the least appealing. Onishi's section was OUTSTANDING animation wise, but the art in this section took me out of it (not the entire section but several points). The scene with Goku bouncing up and down like in the teaser we got way back is in and I hate how Goku looks in it, once again the feature placement and toon look just doesn't appeal to me. Tate, well, once again...animation was smooth as butter but art sticks out. Luckily, overall this was not a dealbreaker problem. The CG of the film at some points was okay and others was pretty ugh as well. During these scenes the characters were also going so fast that it was hard to keep up. Don't get me wrong now, overall the film's visuals are one (if not the) biggest highlight of the film. The SB is exceptional and the colors truly are stunning. Effects work were also beautiful! From this standpoint is this the most beautiful looking film? Yes.

I do want to mention that the soundtrack for the film was also a highlight for me. The music is soothing when needed and powerful for those fight scenes. There is a scene where Broly is slowly getting agitated and ready to fight Goku and Vegeta and the music in this particular scene is so good leading up to the eventual charge attack from Broly. Suimitomo really did a great job.

I definitely need to watch it again to confirm my first impressions but overall I think it's still a solid film that for sure needs to be enjoyed on the big screen for the ideal experience. It definitely has its flaws but it also has some really humorous character interactions and (for the most part) is a visual spectacle. The ending of it also has me curious on where we will go from there. ;)

If I were to rate it for a first viewing, I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

HeartMachine3578

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Zelvin wrote:I don't see a problem with the New Broly sharing the same name as the original. That's like complaining that the New-52 Superman shares the same name as the Post-Crisis Superman and the Earth-2 Superman even when they're not technically the same person. Nobody really cared. Except that the New-52 was crap. :wink:
Yeah as a comic book fan these arguments seems rather pointless. I've been seeing this shit for years at this point and don't even blank an eye at it.

Honestly I like both versions of Broly, But I feel the new one actually has places he can go post movie. Old Broly was fine enough, but He feels pretty much one and done to me. Plus I feel like the new one is better executed for the most part, outside of not giving him more interactions, with paragus and not speaking in battle(even then....eh.. he 's a barbarian I guess he can do what he wants.) Honestly throw in a few lines here and there on the blu ray during the fight and maybe another interaction with Paragus and I think I'll shift over to embrace the new one.

Honestly From what I'm hearing from most people who actually saw this movie its a similar sentiment. New Broly will definitely have a good launching off point with the fans

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:07 pm

This movie is a good introduction to broly and the possible future canonization of ssj4. Did anyone mention, his ssj forms stack on his oozaru like wrathful form.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:This movie is a good introduction to broly and the possible future canonization of ssj4. Did anyone mention, his ssj forms stack on his oozaru like wrathful form.
I mentioned that. But I also mentioned that some think that his ssj and lssj forms are hybrids due to that stacking...……….. As well as the lssj having the same color eyes...….
Last edited by Hulk10 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:16 pm

HeartMachine3578 wrote: Yeah as a comic book fan these arguments seems rather pointless. I've been seeing this shit for years at this point and don't even blank an eye at it.

Honestly I like both versions of Broly, But I feel the new one actually has places he can go post movie. Old Broly was fine enough, but He feels pretty much one and done to me. Plus I feel like the new one is better executed for the most part, outside of not giving him more interactions, with paragus and not speaking in battle(even then....eh.. he 's a barbarian I guess he can do what he wants.) Honestly throw in a few lines here and there on the blu ray during the fight and maybe another interaction with Paragus and I think I'll shift over to embrace the new one.

Honestly From what I'm hearing from most people who actually saw this movie its a similar sentiment. New Broly will definitely have a good launching off point with the fans
I do like both Broly's as well, but I can see why the new Broly isn't really talking during much of the battle, given he's supposed to be out of control and overtaken by his Saiyan rage. He's not thinking. He's not in a state of mind where he could communicate normally. Once Ikari was switched out, Broly's base personality and consciousness switched off and he became little more than a raging oozaru. There was nothing left aside from his Saiyan instinct.

Which can also be a reason for further sympathy of his character. That Broly himself cannot, or will not, fight unless he's not in control, because he has no desire to. Which could also label him as a coward for basically switching on auto-pilot in order to excuse himself from the consequences that comes with choosing to fight. Which yet again delivers more reasons to see him grow as a character. To have him learn to accept his more savage and brutish nature instead of trying to ignore it and set it aside as its own separate thing, like a split personality.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:20 pm

Anything that canonizes DB Minus has scores redacted. The Obvious pandering being done by the shareholders to Broly fans over new creativity kicks the score down.

This film outside of it's STUNNING visuals really has a lot going against it. Am I the only person who fears that people legitimizing this en masse are just going to continue to encourage Dragon Ball's shareholders to keep doing it? Like seriously this series needs to move beyond what it was and yet it's so blantly stuck in the past, it's actually gone back further than the past it's stuck in the bloody Freeza/Cell era. I want the story to either naturally move past Boo where Vegeta isnt always trying to beat kakarot.

Maybe i've seen thios approach kill too many franchises I love or others love like Star wars, or Predator, or Sonic the hedgehog, but this pandering nonsense has got to stop. People loved dragon ball because of the ways toriyama would reinvent himself (even if Toriyama's story arcs were extremely derivative of each-other, they still reinvented aspects of themselves).

I'm probably going to boycott this film, but it wont matter because people are going to see it, love the blatant fan-service and it's gonna happen all over again. I cant really be positive about this film.
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

HeartMachine3578

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:25 pm

Zelvin wrote:
HeartMachine3578 wrote: Yeah as a comic book fan these arguments seems rather pointless. I've been seeing this shit for years at this point and don't even blank an eye at it.

I do like both Broly's as well, but I can see why the new Broly isn't really talking during much of the battle, given he's supposed to be out of control and overtaken by his Saiyan rage. He's not thinking. He's not in a state of mind where he could communicate normally. Once Ikari was switched out, Broly's base personality and consciousness switched off and he became little more than a raging oozaru. There was nothing left aside from his Saiyan instinct.

Which can also be a reason for further sympathy of his character. That Broly himself cannot, or will not, fight unless he's not in control, because he has no desire to. Which could also label him as a coward for basically switching on auto-pilot in order to excuse himself from the consequences that comes with choosing to fight. Which yet again delivers more reasons to see him grow as a character. To have him learn to accept his more savage and brutish nature instead of trying to ignore it and set it aside as its own separate thing, like a split personality.
I agree for the most part. Though I do think Broly is more willing to fight than we initially thought. When that Frieze force grunts messed with Lemo and Chelye Broly chose to attack him only truly losing control afterwards. And before the big battle begins Broly's starts getting visibly enraged(but not to the point of losing self control) at seeing Vegeta and reacting to Paragus's own anger, Looking quite willing to charge at him. I think While this Broly doesn't go out of his way to fight people he's not so passive he won't if he feels the needs to.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:33 pm

HeartMachine3578 wrote:
Zelvin wrote:

I agree for the most part. Though I do think Broly is more willing to fight than we initially thought. When that Frieze force grunts messed with Lemo and Chelye Broly chose to attack him only truly losing control afterwards. And before the big battle begins Broly's starts getting visibly enraged(but not to the point of losing self control) at seeing Vegeta and reacting to Paragus's own anger, Looking quite willing to charge at him. I think While this Broly doesn't go out of his way to fight people he's not so passive he won't if he feels the needs to.
I'd agree with that assessment. He probably likes to fight like most Saiyans, but he wasn't fighting Goku and Vegeta willingly. He did so because he felt he had to.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:39 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:
Correction. He says he is probably stronger than Beerus. Huge difference between your words and
What is implied.
Probably...Can be...Definitely a huge difference.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:45 pm

HeartMachine3578 wrote: I agree for the most part. Though I do think Broly is more willing to fight than we initially thought. When that Frieze force grunts messed with Lemo and Chelye Broly chose to attack him only truly losing control afterwards. And before the big battle begins Broly's starts getting visibly enraged(but not to the point of losing self control) at seeing Vegeta and reacting to Paragus's own anger, Looking quite willing to charge at him. I think While this Broly doesn't go out of his way to fight people he's not so passive he won't if he feels the needs to.
With Leemo and Cheyle, it was more that they were nice to Broly, so Broly became attached to them and wanted to protect them. It's less about "wanting to fight" and more about "wanting to protect". There is that distinction. As for Vegeta, well Broly is just responding to Paragus' aggression. This is the person to whom Broly was basically being raised to defeat. So he's been at the forefront of Broly's training ever since Paragus found him on Vampa. Broly was acting more like an attack dog with Vegeta because it was how Paragus had trained Broly to act like when confronted with Vegeta.

Ultimately, Broly fights either to protect his friends or to serve his father. Broly himself doesn't share the same instinctual drive for battle that Goku and Vegeta do. Broly doesn't desire to fight and improve. Broly would be perfectly content living out his life in peace without conflict. But now that he's been pushed so far, he may no be able to suppress that instinct nor hide from the rest of the universe anymore. After all, Goku can pop in and pick him up at any time and Whis definitely has his own interest in Broly.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:14 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:I, too, was fortunate enough to attend the LA premiee,
OmegaRockman wrote:Impressions, now that I've slept on it; while this is pretty general, there will be some spoilers
DainIronfoot wrote:Having been fortunate enough to have seen the movie as well let me share my own thoughts.
I wouldn't usually ask this kind of question but since the movie is far away from being released here, gotta ask: do you think Bardock Falls fits perfectly with the climax of Bardock, his scenes and the destruction of planet Vegeta?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Vegeta transforming into ssj was one of the most beautiful transformation scenes ever

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:37 pm

I'm a little reluctant to believe Broly doesn't have the same instinct to fight that other Saiyans have. But I do believe that Broly wasn't fighting Vegeta out of his own desire to fight.

OriginalRed

Post by OriginalRed » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Does Goku mention the Potaro earrings in the movie? I always wondered why the settled on doing the fusion dance instead of warping to Supreme Kai and borrowing the earrings again.

HeartMachine3578

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:00 pm

Zelvin wrote:
HeartMachine3578 wrote: I agree for the most part. Though I do think Broly is more willing to fight than we initially thought. When that Frieze force grunts messed with Lemo and Chelye Broly chose to attack him only truly losing control afterwards. And before the big battle begins Broly's starts getting visibly enraged(but not to the point of losing self control) at seeing Vegeta and reacting to Paragus's own anger, Looking quite willing to charge at him. I think While this Broly doesn't go out of his way to fight people he's not so passive he won't if he feels the needs to.
With Leemo and Cheyle, it was more that they were nice to Broly, so Broly became attached to them and wanted to protect them. It's less about "wanting to fight" and more about "wanting to protect". There is that distinction. As for Vegeta, well Broly is just responding to Paragus' aggression. This is the person to whom Broly was basically being raised to defeat. So he's been at the forefront of Broly's training ever since Paragus found him on Vampa. Broly was acting more like an attack dog with Vegeta because it was how Paragus had trained Broly to act like when confronted with Vegeta.

Ultimately, Broly fights either to protect his friends or to serve his father. Broly himself doesn't share the same instinctual drive for battle that Goku and Vegeta do. Broly doesn't desire to fight and improve. Broly would be perfectly content living out his life in peace without conflict. But now that he's been pushed so far, he may no be able to suppress that instinct nor hide from the rest of the universe anymore. After all, Goku can pop in and pick him up at any time and Whis definitely has his own interest in Broly.
Yeah this feels accurate. Seems more like when Broly is actually in that angry state that he gets a battle lust, but outside of it he's not seeking a fight. Like once hes triggered he's fking triggered and his saiyan instincts and power are through the roof.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:07 pm

Grimlock wrote:I wouldn't usually ask this kind of question but since the movie is far away from being released here, gotta ask: do you think Bardock Falls fits perfectly with the climax of Bardock, his scenes and the destruction of planet Vegeta?
Yeah, I'd say that track fit pretty well. I'll admit, I'm more partial to the Kikuchi Movie 3 track from the TV special, but Sumitomo did a good job of creating an emotionally resonant track for the scene. I'd say he did a pretty great job in general, actually, though as I said before, the pro wrestling announcer might be a point of contention for some. The music itself is all really good, though.

On an unrelated note, I forgot to mention something about the dub: interestingly enough, they consistently used "battle power" instead of "power level" throughout the film. I think they used "power level" only one time throughout the whole thing (I don't remember when, though).
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:35 pm

So what do you guys think about Vegeta’s hair going a noticeable dark green during his transformation and Goku seemingly briefly tapping into UI during his transformation to Blue from red?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"