Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Lujin_16
Regular
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:18 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Lujin_16 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:46 pm

i give it a 9.5 my only complain is Whis i think he was unnecessary in this movie

i really love the relationship of Broly and Cheelai i felt for her lol i was scared that Frieza will kill her but thank god nothing happend

it's really rare for me to care for a character in Dragonball who was a unknown character

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6102
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Cetra wrote:
I don't see why you keep harping in this.
Because you have not read my posts from the last few days. And he was far from one Note. And apart from he wants to be left alone all of it was present in the old Broly.
What exactly separates Movie 8 Broly from Movie 10 Broly aside from smirks and edgy one-liners?
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Cetra » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:51 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Cetra wrote:
I don't see why you keep harping in this.
Because you have not read my posts from the last few days. And he was far from one Note. And apart from he wants to be left alone all of it was present in the old Broly.
What exactly separates Movie 8 Broly from Movie 10 Broly aside from smirks and edgy one-liners?
Is that a serious question or are you trying to be polemical?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6102
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Cetra wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
Cetra wrote: Because you have not read my posts from the last few days. And he was far from one Note. And apart from he wants to be left alone all of it was present in the old Broly.
What exactly separates Movie 8 Broly from Movie 10 Broly aside from smirks and edgy one-liners?
Is that a serious question or are you trying to be polemical?
It's a legitimate question. There's not much to him. He hates KAKAROTOOO . He likes to destroy and murder. Dassit.

Old Broly didn't want to be left alone. If Paragus didn't have that ring controlling his emotions he'd be off rampaging and destroying shit. New Broly is more like an uncivilized Gohan
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Cetra » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Ok, you were not serious. You are reductionistic for polemical purpose. Classic Broly hatred.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6102
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:02 pm

Cetra wrote:Ok, you were not serious. You are reductionistic for polemical purpose. Classic Broly hatred.
I don't really see why you're being dismissive here. In Movie 8s flashbacks all Broly wanted to do was kill, kill, and kill again, with Paragus at the end of his wits trying to figure out how to get him out under control. There's not one hint to there being any layers to his personality.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
Boku no Hitto
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:24 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Boku no Hitto » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:16 pm

Cetra wrote:Ok, you were not serious. You are reductionistic for polemical purpose. Classic Broly hatred.
Okay? He stated his case, prove him wrong instead of saying he has blind hatred for the sake of a diatribe. Because, well, he's not wrong. Any depth old broly had was because of Paragus. By himself he's a raging, edgelord who revels in sadism. Raging, paragus and lack of personality aside, how is that any different or better than say,, piccolo, vegeta, nappa, freeza, cell, the cell jrs, the future androids, spopovich, the buus, most any of the movie villains??? Almost all of whom are/were sadists who reveled in the suffering of their opponents. The reason people think Broly as a character, not as a design/figure, a CHARACTER is bland, boring and basic is because outside a fantastic design, there's not much to him that wasn't done better elsewhere in the same series. Now Paragus, THAT'S a good...ish, character

HeartMachine3578
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:24 pm

OverHeaven wrote:So I heard that once Broly starts fighting, he is the same as old Broly or even worse. Hardly having any dialogue at all (again, during fighting). Corrects me if I'm wrong.
Kinda correct but also wrong in the sense that do some good visual cues with his character.

I'd say while he rages a lot like old Broly to the point of not speaking(at least in the later 2 movies) but I feel they do a good bit to make it work. I started to see what was said behind the scenes about Broly expressing himself through the fight. don't get me wrong is not 10/10 poetry but I was satisfied.

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Cetra » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:25 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Cetra wrote:Ok, you were not serious. You are reductionistic for polemical purpose. Classic Broly hatred.
I don't really see why you're being dismissive here. In Movie 8s flashbacks all Broly wanted to do was kill, kill, and kill again, with Paragus at the end of his wits trying to figure out how to get him out under control. There's not one hint to there being any layers to his personality.
I am being dismissive because I have explained that ad infinitum already and I will not repeat this for every person that comes in and says "Broly has no personality". You can also not expect me to actually take the time to do it again considering you think it is reasonable to equalize Broly 8 and Broly 10. That alone shows no matter how much time I invest to post it again will be in vain. The TLDR version of my former posts was and will be: Old Broly was a 2-dimensional cardborad cutout. New Broly is just a one-dimensional cardboard cutout with the one dimension being nicer crafted now. Both are not the creme de la creme but it seriously does not render everything Broly was before null. Heck, you know what? I explained it even in June already. So I explained it very often in half a year actually. Do you really think it is reasonable to demand from a person to repeat themselves 100 times when 100 people come in?

Boku no Hitto wrote: Okay? He stated his case, prove him wrong
Do me a favor and mind your own business because you are not involved in this, it will not help and you also have not read my former posts from the last days. I am not just randomly saying "lol no". I made my case BEFORE already. I even started an argument with a guy having no idea of what personality is while I do since I have a degree in psychology - which he also acted like it meant nothing even though it is fundamental to know what personality is which is a word that is just as misused as autism these days. And that is not even the main focus of the problem.

And as a closing statement: "Edgelord Edgy is Edgy" is not an argument for the absence of character. It is cliché but it is part of a character as well.
Last edited by Cetra on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Cetra wrote:Do me a favor and mind your own business because you are not involved in this, it will not help and you also have not read my former posts from the last days.
You question and complain ad nauseum about other people's perfectly valid opinions regarding Toei's Broly and when they question you back asking for arguments you retreat to a basic "no, I've already explained myself". Well, nobody has to keep track of what you said or agree with it. If you are going to question someone else, you might as well explain your point.

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Cetra » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Cetra wrote:Do me a favor and mind your own business because you are not involved in this, it will not help and you also have not read my former posts from the last days.
You question and complain ad nauseum about other people's perfectly valid opinions regarding Toei's Broly and when they question you back asking for arguments you retreat to a basic "no, I've already explained myself". Well, nobody has to keep track of what you said or agree with it. If you are going to question someone else, you might as well explain your point.
Saying that it is reasonable to read already existing explanations to not waste time is not "retreat". This forum has a post history for every user. And don't go down the personal criticizing road. There is plenty wrong with your constant posting behaviour and you don't see me intruding one of your arguments telling you what your flaws are, for which I cannot think of a good justification.
Last edited by Cetra on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6102
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:41 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Cetra wrote:Do me a favor and mind your own business because you are not involved in this, it will not help and you also have not read my former posts from the last days.
You question and complain ad nauseum about other people's perfectly valid opinions regarding Toei's Broly and when they question you back asking for arguments you retreat to a basic "no, I've already explained myself". Well, nobody has to keep track of what you said or agree with it. If you are going to question someone else, you might as well explain your point.
Thank you. I mean seriously, I've made maybe 5 posts in this thread over the last several months, I'm not exactly familiar with every argument that goes on here. Explain yourself instead of being overly defensive and dismissive.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Cetra » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:42 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thank you. I mean seriously, I've made maybe 5 posts in this thread over the last several months, I'm not exactly familiar with every argument that goes on here. Explain yourself instead of being overly defensive and dismissive.
Sigh. Okay, I will - to not disturb the flow - post you a long PM. But don't expect me to write much new for it. I will copy a lot of stuff from my post history.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
Boku no Hitto
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:24 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Boku no Hitto » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Boku no Hitto wrote: Okay? He stated his case, prove him wrong
Do me a favor and mind your own business because you are not involved in this,
Oh i'm soory, thought this was an open forum where people could discuss and express their opinions. Oh wait it is?? Well i do declare! How bout this, instead of acting like a brat when you get asked to explain your point, explain your point so as to avoid any confusion. Don't care if you've already stated it. Tl;dr it if you don't feel like it, because homie i ain't going through how ever many posts and pages to see you exonerate Broly's lack of character. Act like an adult... You are an adult aren't you? Do me a favor and don't answer that, i don't care.

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Cetra » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Boku no Hitto wrote: Oh i'm soory, thought this was an open forum where people could discuss and express their opinions. Oh wait it is?? Well i do declare!
It is amusing how people always try to defend their interference with the open forum, freedom of speech stuff. It does not actually help if your interference itself does not solve an already existing problem and you only interfere to support a person that already got a very reasonable answer. And yes, believe it or not, "I will not post the same thing again for all 100 people" is a reasonable answer. Anyway, I gotta write jjgp the PM I promised him.
Boku no Hitto wrote:Don't care if you've already stated it.
If you don't care for an easy solution then you do not care about the other person's post anyway. No matter if it is written again or you if you have to look it up as content-wise it makes no difference. What you are basically saying is "I do not want to waste my 5 mins of time to read something I do not care about. Rather waste your 20 mins of posting everytime for every person".
Boku no Hitto wrote:
Oh wait it is?? Well i do declare!
brat
homie
Act like an adult... You are an adult aren't you?
There is so much wrong with that co-existing in one and the same post.
Last edited by Cetra on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:57 pm

Cetra wrote:Saying that it is not reasonable to read already existing explanations to not waste time is not "retreat".
But you are already "wasting time" repeating your complaints over and over to different people that happen to have a very common and valid opinion that you disagree with. Since you are the one questioning and arguing those opinions, the burden is on you to explain your side of things. Not on each one of them to guess it or track down your post history or replies to others. And even if they are aware of your opinion, they are still allowed to state theirs and disagree with yours.

HeartMachine3578
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:00 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Luso Saiyan wrote:
Cetra wrote:Do me a favor and mind your own business because you are not involved in this, it will not help and you also have not read my former posts from the last days.
You question and complain ad nauseum about other people's perfectly valid opinions regarding Toei's Broly and when they question you back asking for arguments you retreat to a basic "no, I've already explained myself". Well, nobody has to keep track of what you said or agree with it. If you are going to question someone else, you might as well explain your point.
Thank you. I mean seriously, I've made maybe 5 posts in this thread over the last several months, I'm not exactly familiar with every argument that goes on here. Explain yourself instead of being overly defensive and dismissive.
Yes! Use your inner Huey with the rage of your Inner Broly!

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Cetra » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:01 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Cetra wrote:Saying that it is not reasonable to read already existing explanations to not waste time is not "retreat".
But you are already "wasting time" repeating your complaints over and over to different people that happen to have a very common and valid opinion that you disagree with. Since you are the one questioning and arguing those opinions, the burden is on you to explain your side of things. Not on each one of them to guess it or track down your post history or replies to others. And even if they are aware of your opinion, they are still allowed to state theirs and disagree with yours.
You know what? I will copy it in an extra file from now on. I basically will do the same thing for jjgp anyway.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
Rakurai
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Rakurai » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:39 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Cetra wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote: What exactly separates Movie 8 Broly from Movie 10 Broly aside from smirks and edgy one-liners?
Is that a serious question or are you trying to be polemical?
It's a legitimate question. There's not much to him. He hates KAKAROTOOO . He likes to destroy and murder. Dassit.

Old Broly didn't want to be left alone. If Paragus didn't have that ring controlling his emotions he'd be off rampaging and destroying shit. New Broly is more like an uncivilized Gohan
"Edgy one-liners?" What the hell is this even?

In M8 he had a fleshed-out personality and a cruel, sadistic nature as marked by his interactions with the fighters and his father.

In M10 all he says is "Kakarotto!" and one other line to Gohan.

You are reducing the analysis through a stereotypical fandom generalization. I can hardly blame Cetra for not taking you seriously. Might as well reduce Goku's character to "Fight strong guys! Eat food! Bad father." Or Vegeta's character to "Surpass Goku! Muh Bulma! He likes to train." Yep, not much to Goku or Vegeta either when you reduce them like that.

M10 Broly is a caricature of his M8 personality. In M8 there is very little to no indication that he specifically hates Goku, as that happens only in M10 and for good reason.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:40 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Cetra wrote:Ok, you were not serious. You are reductionistic for polemical purpose. Classic Broly hatred.
I don't really see why you're being dismissive here. In Movie 8s flashbacks all Broly wanted to do was kill, kill, and kill again, with Paragus at the end of his wits trying to figure out how to get him out under control. There's not one hint to there being any layers to his personality.
Yeah. Old Broly had absolutely no layers to his personality. Up there with Boo as one of the worst characters in the franchise IMO.

Post Reply